• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sharp shooters supply?

jeo556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
I just purchased a Savage long action fitted with a Douglas barrel that has also had a tacticool bolt knob, SSS recoil lug, and been trued and timed by Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooters Supply. Anyone have any expierence with SSS and Fred Moreo? What are your opinions? Did I do good at $425 shipped?

Now I'm in need of a stock and was hoping that someone could give some opions there as well. I really like the McMillian
A-3 adj. but I'm a little confused as to what I need to complete the stock. Stock, DBM, mags,have it bedded.....what else am I missing? It seems to me that I'm going to be in the stock for over a grand when its all said and done.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Sharp shooters supply?

considering the price of a new short action bare is 325-385 with no work thats pretty good there. do a search on "lima 63" and drool over that, lol. i would be tempted to call mcmillan and order the stock and then send them the stuff and they will assemble it. if i were gonna but DBM, id look no further than CDI and he is a site sponsor. txgal338 has his DBM in her also Savage. look for her member name and view her posts for some pics. you can also get the stock inletted by CDI, but i dont think he does bedding, while mcmillan will do it all for you.

thats a great deal on that action, was it new? his T&T is realy decent at truing up all surfaces. other than being hard to get ahold of, and thats the main complaint and ive had stuff done, they are good people with good stuff. wait times get extended. and while i had good communication with them before, now i cant get a reply to my emails about the next run of mags

They made my 10fp into a laser, with a stock barrel! No complaints here.

Axeman, thanks for the info on the DBM. I will definetly keep them in mind. I'm just trying to figure out what the total cost of the "stock" is going to run me. MCM's site says the stock runs $495, then It'll need to be inletted for the DBM, cost???, then of course I need the DBM itself and the extra for the magazine and bedding......
I think that It may be easier to go with a chassis from XLR industries, or dare I dream......a AISC for the savage.
smile.gif

As far as the action goes, the guy I bought it from says that it started life as a 30-06 and was only shot a few times. He then sent the action to SSS for the upgrades. The douglas barrel is brand new and unfired as far as I'm told.

JRose, I'm looking forward to getting this thing together after your good review.

Thanks guys

If I remember correctly Jeff @ CDI will inlet your stock for around 60 bucks. Look also at Stockade. I have heard Kevin makes great stocks over there! As far as a DBM setup you have 3 options. Factory setup with a mag that will sit flush to the stock, CDI setup I believe Jeff's price is $219 for everything besides mags, or the newer ACME setup that is sold by SSS. The CDI setup by far looks the best on a long range precision rifle! Google CDI precision and check out his website. Jeff is a hell of a nice guy and has great customer service! He has dealt with a lot of Savage setups. Give him a call and I'm sure he would be happy to go over some options with you and more than likely he has pics of most stock manufactures that are fitted with his DBM that he could show you. Good luck and enjoy that Savage. msroseberry is another good Savage resource here on the hide.

I have a Stockade stock I'll put on you. It was a super comfortable stock, I just upgraded to a Manners T3
laugh.gif

Mine is for the old style staggered feed.

back when i owned a fple2. i bought one of the SVT stock with all the goodies. i had him replace the recoil lug, true the action, and install the newer bolt handle.

i got it back with the new stock that was great, it didn't shot ANY better group wise with any ammo. and he didn't send me the black bolt handle that i ordered, i was told i had to paint it my self. even though the website clearly said black bolt handle.

i ended up selling the rifle to a buddy and buying a GAP

as far as the mcmillan, there is a guy that orders them here on this site. he carries no savage mcmillan stocks only ones for 700s. i keep asking him to carry just one for the new screw spacing. carry one and when it sells maybe order another. he says there isnt a demand and there are too many options. well thats BS. i want an A4 you want one, others just get them from mcmillan directly. he says order thru him, he may be cheaper. well thats where i have a problem. carry one for a sagave and ill buy one from him, but if im gonna order, why go thru him? ill skip the savings to drive the point home, carry our stuff.

and for the $495 as far as i read on their site when i was pricing the A4, thats the base cost and that includes quite alot. it is just the basic stock though. add $$ for adjustable anything and flush cups, curb feelers, fuzzy dice and whatever else you want. call them up monday and they will tell you whats what.

there was a long action savage stock in the sale area a while back

Yeah, the $495 doesn't seem to bad but I think that I want a adj. comb. I know that it's not needed but as a mediocre rifleman I think the adj. comb would definetely help me get a good checkweld and stay consistent. Any thoughts on this assumption?

Also, I know that its totally aestethic and over the top but I really want the fuzzy dice as well.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Stockade stock I'll put on you. It was a super comfortable stock, I just upgraded to a Manners T3 </div></div>

What model do you have and what are you looking to get out of it?

Hell yes and a big +1 on the fuzzy dice, all rifles got to have a little bit of soul. Most smiths would charge $1,200 for the work you had done including a custom barrel. Now get THE BEST SCOPE YOU CAN AFFORD THEN GET A BETTER ONE!!!! I'm a Nightforce guy but there are many other great choices. Good luck and keep us posted on your new rifle.

dude go all out on the mcmillan stock. get the adjustable butt pad, the saddle or the adjustable comb, either would do. get the colors of your choice. im gonna get black with blue and purple mixed in.

get a good scope. look in the used section here and there are a few sweet night force scopes in there usually and they are always priced decent. a nice ferrel or EGW base and decent rings and your set. does the thing have a trigger? trigger guard?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, the $495 doesn't seem to bad but I think that I want a adj. comb. I know that it's not needed but as a mediocre rifleman I think the adj. comb would definetely help me get a good checkweld and stay consistent. Any thoughts on this assumption?

Also, I know that its totally aestethic and over the top but I really want the fuzzy dice as well.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Stockade stock I'll put on you. It was a super comfortable stock, I just upgraded to a Manners T3 </div></div>

What model do you have and what are you looking to get out of it? </div></div>

Here's a pic

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

$100 w/o Karsten cheek piece, $150 with.

I'm serious when I say this is a great and comfortable stock. I'm OK with just keeping it for another Savage build in the future...

Not trying to shit on JRose's sale, (thats a good buy!) but if you have an interest in the XLR's, add up all the costs for all the options you would want on the McM stock, then factor in the wait time. Then compare that to the XLR. You might be suprised! Especially when you consider you can more then likely have the XLR in just 3 weeks or so!

Just to put it out there, and yes I LOVE my XLR! If you like the idea of the chassis setups, and already have the interest, you won't be disappointed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, the $495 doesn't seem to bad but I think that I want a adj. comb. I know that it's not needed but as a mediocre rifleman I think the adj. comb would definetely help me get a good checkweld and stay consistent. Any thoughts on this assumption?

smile.gif

What model do you have and what are you looking to get out of it? </div></div>

Here's a pic

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

$100 w/o Karsten cheek piece, $150 with.

I'm serious when I say this is a great and comfortable stock. I'm OK with just keeping it for another Savage build in the future... </div></div>

I have the same stock (but in short action) on a 10FP. It feels just like a 700P stock in my hands. Good stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to shit on JRose's sale, (thats a good buy!) but if you have an interest in the XLR's, add up all the costs for all the options you would want on the McM stock, then factor in the wait time. Then compare that to the XLR. You might be suprised! Especially when you consider you can more then likely have the XLR in just 3 weeks or so!

Just to put it out there, and yes I LOVE my XLR! If you like the idea of the chassis setups, and already have the interest, you won't be disappointed! </div></div>

LOL. No pooping.... I don't care if he buys it or not, the thread is intended to help him decide and choose what's best for him. All suggestions merit that quest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Not trying to shit on JRose's sale, (thats a good buy!) but if you have an interest in the XLR's, add up all the costs for all the options you would want on the McM stock, then factor in the wait time. Then compare that to the XLR. You might be suprised! Especially when you consider you can more then likely have the XLR in just 3 weeks or so!

Just to put it out there, and yes I LOVE my XLR! If you like the idea of the chassis setups, and already have the interest, you won't be disappointed!
</div></div>

I've been taking a close look at the XLR chassis and I am very familiar with AR's so i know I like that type of setup. After looking at the price I don't think that you could beat the cost of the XLR not even considering the wait time. After I'd buy the MCM, DMB, and have it bedded I'm pretty sure I'd be over the cost of a XLR chassis. I hat to admit it thought, I take aesthetics into consideration and to me a "tacticool" rifle looks like a MCM or AICS.....I know, I know, that's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong though, the XLR looks amazing...just not what I had in mind.
In the end it looks like I'll end up with the XLR just to save some money.

BTW, what does it cost for a good bedding job????

JRose, let me think about your offer a while. I may consider it as a short term solution.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
JRose, let me think about your offer a while. I may consider it as a short term solution. </div></div>

No worries. PM me if you need it, it's not going anywhere.

Axeman, thanks for the info on the smith.

Is skim bedding the right way to go though? If I'm going to spend the cash on a McM I would want the best bedding that I can get and not cheap out on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased a Savage long action fitted with a Douglas barrel that has also had a tacticool bolt knob, SSS recoil lug, and been trued and timed by Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooters Supply. Anyone have any expierence with SSS and Fred Moreo? What are your opinions? Did I do good at $425 shipped?

Now I'm in need of a stock and was hoping that someone could give some opions there as well. I really like the McMillian
A-3 adj. but I'm a little confused as to what I need to complete the stock. Stock, DBM, mags,have it bedded.....what else am I missing? It seems to me that I'm going to be in the stock for over a grand when its all said and done.

Thanks in advance,
</div></div>

Damn show offs, yes you got a smoking deal

well i think bedding is gonna depend on the stock. my HS has an aluminum block so skim bed is all i need. in the A5 from savage, mcmillan doesnt use pillars if i recall the posts. some added them i think. i am thinking of using who i posted unless i do it myself. i have everything except the vise to hold the rifle. myself, i am going to use JB weld and im going to bed the scope base too.

Well guys, I finally got my barreled action in the mail and I think that I may have gotten more than I bargained for.
smile.gif

So the barrel is a 27" Douglas 1/8 twist with, wait for it......... NO TAPER. Yes, so in my excitement at getting a great deal I failed to ask some important questions like what contour is the barrel. The tacticool bolt handle looks and feels great and the aftermarket recoil lug is absurdly thick. So here's where you guys come in, helping a newb recover from a mistake(?).

Firstly, will I have problems getting a stock to handle a 1.05" barrel?
Secondly, with all that weight up front is my rifle going to be horribly off balance without a lead weight in the stock? Is there any advantage to a barrel heavy rifle?
Are there any other problems that I might run into that I'm not even thinking of?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help.

Thomas Manners bedded my stock with a barreled action at the shop and has different bottom metal. Just tell him what you want. Check it out and compare.

Well that much weight up front you won't have to worry about muzzle jump on recoil. At 27" its rather long, if your worried about weight chop the hell out of it. Plenty of guys out here running rigs with 20" barrels. Not sure about the xlr stock, but you shouldn't have any issues fittin a mcCree stock if you like that style.

hey, its a savage. take it off and have it turned down and chopped if nothing else. also, are you sure its not a target action? is it single feed? is the bottom of the receiver milled open? i cant recall the large shank measurement

oh and i still havent gotten a reply on the weekly email asking if my firing pin was altered during the T&T and when the 9 rounders will be ready. kinda loosing the confidence i had when they were getting back to me. im starting to see what everybody says about the frustration

I just spoke to Lisa on the phone a few minutes ago, it only took 10 weeks to finish my rifle
grin.gif