• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Will an AI AT-X make me a better shooter?

I've won a PRS sanctioned one day match with an AXMC with 6.5 Creedmoor. I will be the first to say you can win PRS with matches with an AI. However, I do feel the action or either of their triggers do you an favors. Which is why I stated what I said above. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the ATX chassis design. However, none of those things are impossible to overcome. I just feel that there are better actions, triggers and stocks/chassis out there for the PRS game.

Reactions: kthomas and BurtG
So none of you can show a top 10 finish, or refute what I said. Or just move the goal posts. Just keep making shit up , that's the go to for emotional people who can't frame an argument.

For PRS Savage / Ruger > AI

The 5 shitty AI shooters who don't compete but follow me around every thread because i hurt their feelings are on your side. Its like a basketball team full of down syndrome kids. You must be their leader.
giphy (1).gif

I've won a PRS sanctioned one day match with an AXMC with 6.5 Creedmoor. I will be the first to say you can win PRS with matches with an AI. However, I do feel the action or either of their triggers do you an favors. Which is why I stated what I said above. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the ATX chassis design. However, none of those things are impossible to overcome. I just feel that there are better actions, triggers and stocks/chassis out there for the PRS game.
Yea at a 1 day no doubt. The level of competition is all over the place, from having 5-10 top national shooters to having none. Thats why i said 2 days, becuase the level of comp is much better, although That Cali match and some of the others this time of year are having much lower turnouts for a bunch of reasons. Plus 2 Pro matches the same day.

The funny thing is I am not saying the AI is a bad gun or a piece of shit. Its just not optimized for current PRS. If this was ELR where you lay in the dirt, have no movement and get to have your buddies give you wind calls, then sure AI is a great gun. There are alot of drawbacks with the AT-X. And whoever said its because of money, that's hilarious when you can spend about the same or more than an AT-X on a dedicated gun.

You just have a bunch of AI knob slobbers who come running and crying anytime someone says something critical about their precious. Instead of explaining why its a good alternitive, they make shit up, sling more shit and call their followers to dogpile, even if they dont compete. Its sad.

The OP asked about the AT-X specifically for PRS. Now if any of you can demonstrate how an AT-X will be superior to any of the dedicated PRS match setups we see today, I am all ears.

Put an AT-X in the hands of the best shooter and they will still be the best probably. Given enough time with a platform you can become really proficient in it. Problem is, the best shooters do not shoot them. There is probably a reason for this. AI can't find one top shooter to sponsor to podium? Not one of those top 50 or so guys are running an AI? All the current and ex MIL/LEO who shoot in this sport and none of the top guys are running AI's? Why is that?

@DeathBeforeDismount

You seem pretty fixated on PRS results, now before you pop a vessel, read what I'm asking ...

Do AI wins and top 10 finishes on other shooting series not matter or are not as prestigeous in your view? I'm talking NRL, CD, NF ELR, WyCo, the Altus series...

Asking for myself.

Reactions: BurtG
@DeathBeforeDismount

You seem pretty fixated on PRS results, now before you pop a vessel, read what I'm asking ...

Do AI wins and top 10 finishes on other shooting series not matter or are not as prestigeous in your view? I'm talking NRL, CD, NF ELR, WyCo, the Altus series...

Asking for myself.
I think it’s because op asked about prs so he’s pointing out gear that is better for prs. Their is better gear than ai’s, that’s why us mil went with Barrett. But if you have the ai itch to scratch, just scratch it.

I think it’s because op asked about prs so he’s pointing out gear that is better for prs. Their is better gear than ai’s, that’s why us mil went with Barrett. But if you have the ai itch to scratch, just scratch it.
The OP is asking what will help him grow as a shooter and at the moment is shooting PRS but PRS is not a cross-section of all the shooting series out there.

If we are telling the OP to base his decision on 2-day PRS podiums and top 10's it's fair to him to know that AIs are finishing at the top at other series that are as or even more technical when it comes to positional shooting.

I own AIs and clones, i don't own a ATX but have shot the platform a fair bit. It's not going to impede any growth.

OP, any rifle that says AI on it is a great piece of kit. Whether or not it is optimized for PRS is really up to you to decide. You should probably be asking which features the top competitors find most important.

Realistically you need to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses as a shooter. If you aren't hitting more than 70% of the targets is a faster cycling bolt going to help? One of the advantages of the AI is that it is so adjustable to fit you but that is also available in most chassis nowadays.

Even with the most PRS approved custom build your shooting will probably remain very similar to what it is currently. A new rifle may be just motivating enough to spend more time pulling the trigger which will most likely have more of an effect on your shooting.

So none of you can show a top 10 finish, or refute what I said. Or just move the goal posts. Just keep making shit up , that's the go to for emotional people who can't frame an argument.

The 5 shitty AI shooters who don't compete but follow me around every thread because i hurt their feelings are on your side. Its like a basketball team full of down syndrome kids. You must be their leader.
Why the fuck do you care so much?
As aside note, you were doing alright for a bit...... A lot of your advice is actually not bad, but you just can't help fucking it up with your attidude!
All the best
Pete

The OP is asking what will help him grow as a shooter and at the moment is shooting PRS but PRS is not a cross-section of all the shooting series out there.

If we are telling the OP to base his decision on 2-day PRS podiums and top 10's it's fair to him to know that AIs are finishing at the top at other series that are as or even more technical when it comes to positional shooting.

I own AIs and clones, i don't own a ATX but have shot the platform a fair bit. It's not going to impede any growth.
Do you shoot PRS? The reason I ask is if you don't you should not be giving advise.

The best thing a shooter can do is look at what the top guys are doing, and emulate that. Be it gear or shooting techniques to reloading techniques to positional, ect. The reason they are good is they have done it a while and figured out what works and what doesn't work.

Now if you want to be a dumb shit hard head and learn everything the hard way, go for it. The OP asked for advice and I gave him the same advice MOST guys who are shooting the series would give him. Doing things to lesson the learning curve and make it easier to focus on less things during a time of task saturation, will make him a better shooter. There are dozens of different things that need to be considered and accounted for before and on the clock.

Hell even a guy like Eric Cortina says the same thing for guys shooting F-class. If you arent the best, then copy what the best are doing. Once you get there, then you can experiment and try new things, but there is way to much to learn and master before worrying about that.

This thread has run its course. OP got the advice he asked for and some of you just want to argue about shit you don't even understand.

Do you shoot PRS? The reason I ask is if you don't you should not be giving advise.

The best thing a shooter can do is look at what the top guys are doing, and emulate that. Be it gear or shooting techniques to reloading techniques to positional, ect. The reason they are good is they have done it a while and figured out what works and what doesn't work.

Now if you want to be a dumb shit hard head and learn everything the hard way, go for it. The OP asked for advice and I gave him the same advice MOST guys who are shooting the series would give him. Doing things to lesson the learning curve and make it easier to focus on less things during a time of task saturation, will make him a better shooter. There are dozens of different things that need to be considered and accounted for before and on the clock.

Hell even a guy like Eric Cortina says the same thing for guys shooting F-class. If you arent the best, then copy what the best are doing. Once you get there, then you can experiment and try new things, but there is way to much to learn and master before worrying about that.

This thread has run its course. OP got the advice he asked for and some of you just want to argue about shit you don't even understand.
What, exactly, about your PRS resume qualifies you to give advice about shooting PRS?

Last edited:
Probably cuz the 4th gen is about to come out. For what an AI costs you can build a vastly superior PRS rifle and not be slaved to their shit accessories/ecosystem.
Why is it always you that get's flagged for being a douche in one of the technical threads? I swear to fucking God, I'm getting tired of cleaning up after your ass. Take a few days off....

A top shooter doesn't need to argue with everyone that he's right. Do you know why? Because they don't need to say shit...unlike your behavior of having to argue with everyone that they're wrong, and you're right. They know that they can give an opinion, and if someone disagrees, they have enough confidence and maturity in what they say, to just let people go do what they want if they don't agree, because it doesn't affect them one bit. Let that sink in...

Idk if I’m qualified or not based on Death’s standards, but I may be one of the few people who have won 2 day PRS/NRL matches with an AIAT and a custom (Impact)

I also put each in the top 10 the majority of the time…it didn’t matter which rifle I showed up with, neither held me back. My score was dependent on no mental mistakes and wind calls

Idk if I’m qualified or not based on Death’s standards, but I may be one of the few people who have won 2 day PRS/NRL matches with an AIAT and a custom (Impact)

I also put each in the top 10 the majority of the time…it didn’t matter which rifle I showed up with, neither held me back. My score was dependent on no mental mistakes and wind calls
I've been around long enough to remember seeing your name on plenty of leader boards.

God I so want to buy an AI and shoot PRS now. If I get to meet great people AND have fun at the same time, what’s to lose.
I’ve shot rimfire matches going on five years and this was my first year for centerfire matches. Think I’ve shot 12 centerfire and 6 rimfire this year and I would say that 99.9% of the guys and gals I’ve shot around would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it at a match.

"Most are using chassis or foundations."

There is a reason for this. If your goal is to get better at PRS then this is the way.

I personally went from a McMillan A5 to a Foundation MG2 a couple years ago. It did not make me a better shooter, but it did make certain things easier, spotting impacts in particular.
Chassis is a tool for the job. Not thdd ex only way to succeed, but makes it easier.

No. Get rid of the suppressor and put a brake on it.

Not even gonna read through everything with a question like that.

Reactions: drglock
No. Get rid of the suppressor and put a brake on it.

Not even gonna read through everything with a question like that.
You do bring up a good point; some haven't learned their fundamentals well enough to drive a suppressed rifle well. Follow through is key with the longer, slower, recoil impulse of a suppressed rifle.

I’ve shot rimfire matches going on five years and this was my first year for centerfire matches. Think I’ve shot 12 centerfire and 6 rimfire this year and I would say that 99.9% of the guys and gals I’ve shot around would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it at a match.
Oh I’m sure there are more than a handful of great people there. I know a few I wouldn’t mind shooting with, I just live in the wrong part of the cuntry

ETA: I think rimfire would be my interest.

You do bring up a good point; some haven't learned their fundamentals well enough to drive a suppressed rifle well. Follow through is key with the longer, slower, recoil impulse of a suppressed rifle.
I cleaned a 12 round stage at Hornady PRC that only 4 others cleaned. Out of 198 shooters.

I've also zeroed a stage of 10 rounds at a 30 person local match.. at 490 yards.

I think it's all understanding the capabilities of your gear. There's different tiers. I've finally got all the gear that could win a match.
Now I've gotta get my fundamentals and wind understanding and estimation dialed in.

A suppressor is one more fraction to add to the equation.

When people shoot a suppressed gun at a match. 8 outta ten can't track straight back with the recoil. You loose time on acquiring the target and setting up your position for the next shot.

It's a journey. Learn from others. Be humble enough to admit you need to practice.

In short buy quality equipment that can meet the standard of accuracy and repeatability needed to win a match. The rest is on you. There's gear that make the sport easier. But that doesn't guarantee impacts.

18th in my state and 125th in the MW apparently according to the prs website.

This

@Nostradumbass

One thing I would suggest is if you can, get a chance to feel out any potential rifle purchase. Its easy to find an Impact+Foundation or Impact + MDT, but AIs are out there.

For instance: I like TL3 over an impact. I can't quantify it, the TL3 "feels" better. It has zero impact (no pun intended) on my shooting ability, and doesn't mean I think Impacts are bad, just I have a preference. I really like the bolt handle on the AI. I really like the barrel swap feature. I love the built in ARCA rail. I'm not a fan of the check / LOP adjustment (I have a Gen 1) or the fact that the hinge sells out in less than 10 minutes after I get the notification. Some people love elite sand. I'm a Black guy all the way. I hate my bipod. Some days, I love that light trigger, some days I hate it (less and less so as I've practiced). Get yourself a rifle that YOU love and deck it out how YOU want. Also I'm always the odd guy out. My brain is different than everyone else. I'm a fucking weirdo and come to accept it. But you ask me bring a gun to a comp, that AI is my go to. I'm even trying to take it hunting by finding a lightweight barrel and doing some exercise and be less of a pussy.

Some guys like blonds, some guys like brunettes. You do you dude and go be happy.

Now I have to figure out McMillan Woodland Camo to paint my Bravo stock....

Forget ability, do you have the time to dedicate to becoming a genuine top tier shooter?
If not, does it really matter regarding your rifle to a point. Practice, compete and compare your percentage against the winner. Work on increasing this number and compete against YOURSELF......

Shoot what makes you happy, unlikely you will ever NEED to change a rifle due to it keeping you from the winners circle.
Great post.

-Stan

I don’t shoot PRS am just a casual long range shooter. A few months ago I was debating buying an AI since my style of shooting is either bench, prone, or tripod. Instead I decided to build around a AI AXSR chassis. I love the look and ergonomics of the chassis and it just feels like quality, better than any chassis or stock I have used in the past. Only reason I didn’t go full AI is because of cheaper barrels and better triggers for my Zeus.

I’m an AT-X fan so I’m pretty biased. Was my big upgrade over a RPR 6Creed I shot a few barrels out of. I’ve burned 3 barrels out of my AT-X so far and around 10k rounds with a few calibers and currently shooting 6Dasher with it. Love it.
I’ve shot a lot of custom actions, Impact and Lone Peak’s, etc and a few feel better on the bolt, the TT Diamond is dang nice and could be nicer than the AI Competition Trigger but I still like my AT-X. Enough time to make it exactly how I want it.
Top all this with apparently being all back asswards and shooting it all suppressed. I hold about top 10-15 on one day matches.
Life gets in the way and I’ve had to cut my shooting down alot unfortunately but I still haven’t hit my peak, and never felt like my equipment was the limiting factor. And as soon as it does I may make some changes. For now it just makes me happy pulling the AT-X out the safe and running her.
Can you get other rifles, absolutely. Get one that makes you happy and run it. Practice.
IMG_5864.jpeg

I’m an AT-X fan so I’m pretty biased. Was my big upgrade over a RPR 6Creed I shot a few barrels out of. I’ve burned 3 barrels out of my AT-X so far and around 10k rounds with a few calibers and currently shooting 6Dasher with it. Love it.
I’ve shot a lot of custom actions, Impact and Lone Peak’s, etc and a few feel better on the bolt, the TT Diamond is dang nice and could be nicer than the AI Competition Trigger but I still like my AT-X. Enough time to make it exactly how I want it.
Top all this with apparently being all back asswards and shooting it all suppressed. I hold about top 10-15 on one day matches.
Life gets in the way and I’ve had to cut my shooting down alot unfortunately but I still haven’t hit my peak, and never felt like my equipment was the limiting factor. And as soon as it does I may make some changes. For now it just makes me happy pulling the AT-X out the safe and running her.
Can you get other rifles, absolutely. Get one that makes you happy and run it. Practice. View attachment 8239083
Custom cerakote work?

This is effectively the same "logic" displayed by turretgunner CobraCutter CrabsandFootball DeathBeforeDismount:

There's no critical thinking, no root cause analysis, no distillation to first principles - just the most cursory examination of a ranked list of principles without any understanding of how they got there. It's like asking a 4-year-old to state their favorite animal and then back up their claim with data - amusing, but hardly informative.

What we've learned in virtually every equipment-intensive sport is that the presence of sponsorship support of any form (cash, free goods, promotion, etc.) will distort what's being used on the field of play. The best participants don't depend on equipment to nearly the same degree that observers think they do, but that doesn't stop people from shelling out their own hard-earned money in pursuit of the same success. The money games will continue because they're so effective. Pretty sure that leather whip manufacturers figured out this stuff back in the chariot racing days.

There's no critical thinking, no root cause analysis, no distillation to first principles - just the most cursory examination of a ranked list of principles without any understanding of how they got there.
That's like 95% of all equipment and technique discussions in almost all firearm social media.

This is effectively the same "logic" displayed by turretgunner CobraCutter CrabsandFootball DeathBeforeDismount:

There's no critical thinking, no root cause analysis, no distillation to first principles - just the most cursory examination of a ranked list of principles without any understanding of how they got there. It's like asking a 4-year-old to state their favorite animal and then back up their claim with data - amusing, but hardly informative.

What we've learned in virtually every equipment-intensive sport is that the presence of sponsorship support of any form (cash, free goods, promotion, etc.) will distort what's being used on the field of play. The best participants don't depend on equipment to nearly the same degree that observers think they do, but that doesn't stop people from shelling out their own hard-earned money in pursuit of the same success. The money games will continue because they're so effective. Pretty sure that leather whip manufacturers figured out this stuff back in the chariot racing days.

1696260283452.gif

What are you doing trying to throw logic and reason into this discussion??? It is obviously perfectly fine example of dick measuring and fanboism!

• Haha
Reactions: E. Bryant
IMHO

You have two (three?) choices...

Impact / LP/ TL3 / whatever

With

God's Stock: Foundation

Or

Maple Syrup: MDT

Or

Those weirdos: MPA (I kid)

Everything else is just noise in the PRS world.

AI are outliers and remain so. They're good rifles but their parts being proprietary holds them back. If something breaks, you likely can't borrow a trigger during a match, or find a buddy who wants to shoot a different caliber in a prefit before commiting to buying a barrel, jump on to one of the many vendors to buy available accessories, etc...

Whether it's marketing or word of mouth, there is a reason the best shooters in PRS likely don't run an AI.

At the end of the day, Indian not arrow.

It’s the smoother lighter 90* action and less than 2oz single stage trigger in generic Prs guns that people want over the AI

Not reading all of the replies but as someone who has went from an AXSA to an ax in the ao chassis, to an ATX, to now a terminus Zeus in a manners TCS. My shooting did not improve much from the ax/ao chassis to the ATX to the terminus.

My biggest improvement was switching from a can to an ace brake. I will say I feel more stable with the TCS over the AI’s. An AI is not going to make you a better shooter or buy you points. Either run a brake or get a more completion oriented stock/ chassis.

Reactions: ballisticdaddy
Not reading all of the replies but as someone who has went from an AXSA to an ax in the ao chassis, to an ATX, to now a terminus Zeus in a manners TCS. My shooting did not improve much from the ax/ao chassis to the ATX to the terminus.

My biggest improvement was switching from a can to an ace brake. I will say I feel more stable with the TCS over the AI’s. An AI is not going to make you a better shooter or buy you points. Either run a brake or get a more completion oriented stock/ chassis.
I remember the AX in the AO. She’s was a beauty for sure!

Reactions: Krob95
It's neat how whether you PRS or not has become the benchmark for shooting proficiency, gear selection, masculinity, American citizenship, vaccination status, etc.

"Brah, you'd be a better bass fisherman if you'd only PRS, brah."

I've never seen anyone become so irate with an inamimate object as deathbeforedismount when an AI rifle is mentioned....except maybe for that one time in highschool when a down's syndrom kid obliterated an overhead projector when it shined in his eyes.

Maybe you should shoot an AI, it may move you up a about a 150 spots in the rankings. You yourself admitted you changed setups more than I change my shorts. Maybe it's you and not the setup.

That match was a shitshow by the way
and an amateur got 3rd...which is unheard of at pro matches. It's still not top 10 but nice try. My bud got 2nd place so I won't shit on the match too much.

I'm still waiting for the top 10 finish at a PRS pro match with an AI.

AI couldn't find one top shooter who can podium to shoot their shit. Alwine does it with a savage and Doug does it with a ruger.

Savage/ruger>AI if you like points.
I wouldn’t say that’s unheard of. Mike beat very respectable pros including Clay, Dan, Matt, Corson, etc. he shot better than others that usually would be picked to win it.

An adjustable mag latch, ability to fit 1.250 barrels with the full rail, and a diamond trigger for an AI......would bring the AT-X pretty well up to snuff with everything else.

But.....that's a long shot chance.

Reactions: kthomas