• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Sheepdog Warrior - Upstate NY

They do have have a plate at 1760 and also at 2200. However I believe you have to reserve a shoot for these.

I’ll be there on Wednesday and will be sure to get pics, review etc.

I've heard that but as you say, you have to be a high paying member to get access.

They do have have a plate at 1760 and also at 2200. However I believe you have to reserve a shoot for these.

I’ll be there on Wednesday and will be sure to get pics, review etc.
As of now the 1 mile is on hold. Problem w zoning w the town. If you are a lucky one PLEASE do not post anything on a public site. We don’t need fuel to the fire!!!

Guys right now 1k is it. Nothing available beyond that no matter what membership you have. Unfortunately even the most insignificant representation of NYC controls the rest of the state and that battle is ongoing as we speak. I encourage anyone to come out and enjoy the range as it offers excellent shooting on steel out to 1k but without the proper permit the mile and longer is on hold indefinitely.

Reactions: BCX
As of now the 1 mile is on hold. Problem w zoning w the town. If you are a lucky one PLEASE do not post anything on a public site. We don’t need fuel to the fire!!!

My mistake. I was unaware of that, and sincerely apologize

Reactions: BCX
Yes, we found a nice place or it seems nice. The Winter Clove Inn...you know it?
Winter clove and Crystalbrook are not a recommended locations, they are part of a group trying to shut down Sheepdog Warrior range.
Approved locations can be found on our website Sheepdogwarrior.com.
Riedlebauers resort, Wolfs Maple breeze, Red Ranch Motel, Catskill Motor Court are some approved locations. Thank you, any questions feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Winter clove and Crystalbrook are not a recommended locations, they are part of a group trying to shut down Sheepdog Warrior range.
Approved locations can be found on our website Sheepdogwarrior.com.
Riedlebauers resort, Wolfs Maple breeze, Red Ranch Motel, Catskill Motor Court are some approved locations. Thank you, any questions feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Thanks for letting me know. I will pass that along to my buddy who made the reservations.

I'm only an hour and a half away, so I'll definitely check it out soon.

I took one of the long range rifle courses they offer. It was a great time. The facilities are well done and the owner is a great guy.

The targets I shoot at are at known distances out to 1000 and at exact 100 yard intervals. It’ll be fun to actually use my range finder and adjust from there

I took one of the long range rifle courses they offer. It was a great time. The facilities are well done and the owner is a great guy.

Not sure who the owner is but I spoke to a guy named Nick today and he was most cordial. I know we are going to enjoy ourselves when we go. Got a great deal on an Airbnb

Reactions: regnar375
After reading up on the shit storm SDW is going through, I now understand why 50's and other ELR calibers aren't allowed at the range.
I'll have to come up and shoot a PRS match or two with the puny rifles and give them some support.

SJC

Not sure who the owner is but I spoke to a guy named Nick today and he was most cordial. I know we are going to enjoy ourselves when we go. Got a great deal on an Airbnb

I never met Nick but did speak with him also when I signed up for the rifle course. Ed is the owner and he was on-site for the course.

I never met Nick but did speak with him also when I signed up for the rifle course. Ed is the owner and he was on-site for the course.

I believe Nick and Ed are partners. The venue is excellent, the PRS style matches are a lot of fun.

Was out at Sheepdog this morning. Got there just after they opened. I was actually the only person there. There was another guy setting up as I was leaving. First I’ll just say, I’ve lived in upstate NY for many years now. I’ve camped and backpacked in the Catskill Mountains several times. It’s a gorgeous area. Having a shooting range like Sheepdog right in the Catskill Mountains just completes it. What a place to shoot. The staff there are both very nice and very knowledgeable. The range is new, but you can also tell it’s kept that way. You can shoot pretty much however you want. Bench, prone, or off several obstacles they use during their PRS matches. There are TONS of plates. More things to shoot at then you could possibly ever need. Different sizes, different shapes, different distances, and not just in certain increments. It was a lot of fun to actually use my range finder, adjust from there, and get a nice solid impact. I only brought 50 rounds with me, but if I had the money and ammo I could’ve spent the whole day. I’m only about 45 minutes away, but for those of you coming from farther away, I’ll tell you it’s definitely worth the drive. No doubt about it. If you’ve been thinking of going to Sheepdog Warrior, GO TO SHEEPDOG WARRIOR!

(I have posted all of the info I can. For more either call them or stop by)

AAEAE23E-93FC-4936-BB20-9AA48AE7B735.jpeg
C466598C-BB8A-4A13-94AC-1BDFC49FB068.jpeg
0CFFC9FF-F196-489E-BD2D-CE257A487525.jpeg

Was out at Sheepdog this morning. Got there just after they opened. I was actually the only person there. There was another guy setting up as I was leaving. First I’ll just say, I’ve lived in upstate NY for many years now. I’ve camped and backpacked in the Catskill Mountains several times. It’s a gorgeous area. Having a shooting range like Sheepdog right in the Catskill Mountains just completes it. What a place to shoot. The staff there are both very nice and very knowledgeable. The range is new, but you can also tell it’s kept that way. You can shoot pretty much however you want. Bench, prone, or off several obstacles they use during their PRS matches. There are TONS of plates. More things to shoot at then you could possibly ever need. Different sizes, different shapes, different distances, and not just in certain increments. It was a lot of fun to actually use my range finder, adjust from there, and get a nice solid impact. I only brought 50 rounds with me, but if I had the money and ammo I could’ve spent the whole day. I’m only about 45 minutes away, but for those of you coming from farther away, I’ll tell you it’s definitely worth the drive. No doubt about it. If you’ve been thinking of going to Sheepdog Warrior, GO TO SHEEPDOG WARRIOR!

(I have posted all of the info I can. For more either call them or stop by)

View attachment 7074266View attachment 7074267View attachment 7074268

Very nice....I am bringing a couple of hundred rounds with me...one more month to go

Oh I forgot to mention.. They even give the steel a fresh coat of spray paint every day. Since I was there in the morning, they were nice and clean and I could see my impacts and groups very well. That was another very nice thing.

Hey longrangelefty I believe that was you leaving just as I was walking in.

Come on, that's a day trip by midwesteren standards.....LOL

Need range report.

You're missing the genius. We convinced the wives it was dangerous to drive back that late....have to have dinner after shooting and cleaning. Gives us the next morning to shoot more :)

Reactions: regnar375
You're missing the genius. We convinced the wives it was dangerous to drive back that late....have to have dinner after shooting and cleaning. Gives us the next morning to shoot more :)

OF COURSE! Steaks, whiskey, and cigars after shooting.

I need to get my act together and shoot their... Soon.

^ No shit! That’s awesome. Where are you driving there from?

I have a place about 20 min from there near Windham, so when I stay up there I try to make it to sheepdog.
Great place to shoot, over 80 steel plates to try your skill on. It is a mountainous area so lots of wind most of the time.

Had a good time there Wednesday even with heavy mirage and the wind flag going a little left then a little right.

^ Nice! I’m 20 minutes from my home range Forbes and 45 minutes from Sheepdog. Although the drive was nice so I don’t mind. I had a half hour of really no wind at all. Then the next half hour it was coming behind me and then moving left off of that mountain to the right. It was pretty much sustained, so easy to adjust for

I'm going to try to get there tomorrow. Should be a nice day.

Do they have a map with the distance to the targets or do I have to wing it?

I'm going to try to get there tomorrow. Should be a nice day.

Do they have a map with the distance to the targets or do I have to wing it?

Bring a rangefinder. There are KYL racks @100 200 300 400 (marked) , farthest targets in the tree cut are 800yds, targets on the mountain are 980/1000. Have fun

^ I would say their farthest targets are more like 450 ?

And yes, definitely bring a range finder

I went this morning.

I had a fantastic time. Took me about an hour and 45 minutes to get there but I would have been happy even if it was longer.

The Catskill's are beautiful this time of year so the scenery is great.

The range is off the beaten path but there are signs strategically placed so it's very easy to find. It's by no means a modern facility but it's well maintained logically laid out.

The owners are extremely nice and accommodating. Since it was my first time I had to fill out a simple waiver, but that was it. Maryanne(?) explained the range and let me know about some upcoming events, then I grabbed my gear and walked to the port area.

There are about 10 ports with wooden benches that you can shoot from or move around if you want to shoot prone. I was shooting from about 10:30 - 11:30 and in that time two other shooters showed up, so it was a busy morning

The targets were well painted and the ground around them was well cleared, so it was easy to get clear sight pictures.

It was my first time shooting past 300 yards, so i was a little like a kid in a candy shop.

I'll absolutely be going back.

WvyPQiIl.jpg

iNSDb8Il.jpg

tUMPaIFl.jpg

Reactions: Ruggedtouch
^ Glad you got out there and had an awesome time. I’m looking at going again tomorrow

I went this morning.

I had a fantastic time. Took me about an hour and 45 minutes to get there but I would have been happy even if it was longer.

The range is off the beaten path but there are signs strategically placed so it's very easy to find. It's by no means a modern facility but it's well maintained logically laid out.

The owners are extremely nice and accommodating. Since it was my first time I had to fill out a simple waiver, but that was it. Maryanne(?) explained the range and let me know about some upcoming events, then I grabbed my gear and walked to the port area.

There are about 10 ports with wooden benches that you can shoot from or move around if you want to shoot prone. I was shooting from about 10:30 - 11:30 and in that time two other shooters showed up, so it was a busy morning

The targets were well painted and the ground around them was well cleared, so it was easy to get clear sight pictures.

It was my first time shooting past 300 yards, so i was a little like a kid in a candy shop.

WvyPQiIl.jpg

iNSDb8Il.jpg

tUMPaIFl.jpg
So did you bang steel or what?

Did u see
I went this morning.

WvyPQiIl.jpg

iNSDb8Il.jpg

tUMPaIFl.jpg

Did you see any turkeys by the way?

So did you bang steel or what?

Oh yes. I was surprised actually.

I was already zeroed at 300 yards, so everything out to about 400 was good. Without a rangefinder I had to walk things in beyond that, but I was able to ring a bunch.

Next time I'll bring a rangefinder and focus on only a few targets instead of all of them.

Did u see

Did you see any turkeys by the way?

Lol!!

We're you there too??

Yes, I was surprised how slowly the turkey walked away after one of my shots impacted the dirt 5 feet away from her!

One of the other shooters mentioned deer and a bear that were seen on the range.

Lol!!

We're you there too??

Yes, I was surprised how slowly the turkey walked away after one of my shots impacted the dirt 5 feet away from her!

One of the other shooters mentioned deer and a bear that were seen on the range.

I guess I was the "other" ;)

Lol!!

We're you there too??

That’s cause she hasn’t been hurt by a bullet.... yet lol. Deer cross our 1000 yard range here all the time. But they’re usually around the point where our rounds are 30 feet in the air so it doesn’t really matter

Reactions: 1500varmint
Had another awesome day out there today. Pretty damn windy, which made it even more fun with the way it shifts around out there

Tomorrow is the day...beautiful weather as well

Thursday is rain but we will likely shoot anyways

I was hoping to get there on Friday, but the rain may keep me away. If it clears up by noon I'll head over.

A big shout out to @Sheepdog warrior 1

My fellow Hider, Hiker 12, and I made the 3.5 hour trek to Sheepdog Warrior and shot there for two days.

I really can't say enough about Ed and the other staff. There were so many challenging steel plates at every range. Each range point had several differently sized and shaped plates. The setup at 1,000 was particularly interesting as the targets included 10 and 12 inch plates plus a larger gong and two torso style targets. These targets were located up a hill so the angle from the shooting position was ~4-5 degrees which I had never done previously. Maintaining good form was a challenge for me but I was able to figure out a good position that was very stable.

The wind at this location was super challenging. On day 1, we had sunshine and 8-10 mph winds at the top of the hill that would change direction at a moment's notice. There is a wind flag that looked like it was dancing. Since I live in New England, I don't get a chance to shoot at this distance often so the swirling winds and 10" plates were challenging. However, I did pretty well. All targets at all ranges were freshly painted so spotting hits was a breeze.

On day 2, the weather turned. Less wind but it was pouring. Since they have a beautiful covered area, we were not bothered at all by the inclement weather. Ed met us and we chatted for a while. He is quite knowledgeable about the aspects of LR shooting. When I looked through my scope at the top of the hill, I was shocked to see the targets painted again. Ed painted them again since he knew we would be there rain or shine.

I urge anyone in the New England or surrounding areas to visit and support the facility. You will not be disappointed with the variety of targets at all ranges, the challenges of the unpredictable wind and the support of the staff. I will certainly be visiting again in a couple of months.

Last edited:
Glad you guys had a good time, Ed is a good guy. The small 10" plates are challenging, there have been days I beat them up and other days where it costs a lot of money to secure a hit on them.
The wind up at the long targets will challenge you as it tends to flip flop constantly and the wind at the shooting position is totally different. During the cold weather it can be even worse.

Never been there in the rain, how hard was it to spot the hits or misses.

I will probably get there this weekend.

Reactions: Sheepdog warrior 1
Glad you guys had a good time, Ed is a good guy. The small 10" plates are challenging, there have been days I beat them up and other days where it costs a lot of money to secure a hit on them.
The wind up at the long targets will challenge you as it tends to flip flop constantly and the wind at the shooting position is totally different. During the cold weather it can be even worse.

Never been there in the rain, how hard was it to spot the hits or misses.

I will probably get there this weekend.

I had no problem with spotting the splashes in the rain. As long as the berm was behind the plate.

Have fun this weekend.

Thank you for the wonderful range reports.
Please do not post any reference to distance. The internet trolls forward them to the Town, I know you guys just like messing with them, but for the time being it comes back to bite me in the rear end. Im glad everyone enjoys the 450 yard range and the others will be available soon.
ED