• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sherman 7 MAX

I finally dragged the 7 Max to the range w me over the weekend. I’m a little lean on scopes this year so had to pull one while at the range. Virgin 7 Max brass w 40 degree shoulder n570 Berger 195. First 3 shots prone @ 100… I’d say she’s still doing good 😉View attachment 7950953
What is the speed?

I didn’t crono the 7 Max over the weekend, was to busy testing 33xc loads w solids. It should be 2925-2950 w that charge weight…

Nice mild load w Berger 195.. 4th firing on this brass, primer pockets still good!
A551B4C4-0C49-45D9-87F7-27D07AC9816B.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DIBBS and b6graham
I gave the 7 MAX a little love today cking dope out to 1k. The load posted above beat out the faster loads once again. I ran up to 70 gr N570 Berger 195 (compressed load) once again, 3000fps plus w no signs of pressure.

Reactions: b6graham
Was hoping to hear some updates on the Sherman 7 Max. I'm considering it for a Zermatt medium action. Seems like ADG makes both the 7 SAUM and the 7 Max brass so quality is hypothetically the same and no fire forming is needed for the 7 Max now. I hear that the 7 Max advertised velocities are largely bullshit hype. There's still some sort of velocity gain though and a 7 SAUM prefit barrel will likely not have enough freebore and correct twist to account for a medium action and heavier 180+ grain bullets. I assume this is this is built into the 7 Max reamer considering Sherman advertises it as a medium action cartridge.

What info are you looking for? I have loaded Berger 190, Berger 195, Hornady 190. Gen 1 brass and gen 2 which comes w the 40 degree shoulder. N570 is the only powder I loaded and was able to get top velocity w no pressure signs. My accuracy loads have been running 2925 average. I did add some freebore for the 190/195 class bullets.

I had the 190 A-tips up to 3049-3050 fps from a 26 inch. No signs of pressure w n570. I think I had the Berger 195 up to 3030 fps maybe more.. don’t have the notes in front of me. I don’t run any of my loads at max. I will take accuracy over velocity any day. I posted my original jam numbers early on the thread.

Thank you. If I could get 2900 fps with the 195gr bullets I’d be happy. Curious how H4350 or H1000, which I have, would do in the case with 180-195gr bullets.

My accuracy load is 2925 fps w Berger 195. Usually holds .25 inch at 200 yards. Reach out to Stealhead. I think he uses those powders in 7 SAUM.

Did you ever come up with the official number of how much throating was added? Was the 195gr Berger your fav projectile for the cartridge? How has your barrel held up? Is the new brass still coming in needing to be resized? What bushing and mandrel did you ultimately stick with?

This thread started almost 4 years ago... Would you suggest this cartridge still? I was thinking of building it on a medium action. Or should I just go with 7 SAUM and 180gr Bergers?

If I measured correctly I’m at .300 freebore w a long action. It has been much easier to get low ES, SD w Bergers over Hornady A-Tips. My barrel has 550 rounds on it, 100 rounds to fire from w RL-26 and 450 rounds w N570. Throat looks great. .020 throat erosion at 550 rounds. Personally I would fire form 7 SAUM brass. I have a bunch of brass, a set of Whidden dies and a reamer. Yes,I would spin another barrel.

Looks like Sherman has a revised reamer which may work better w the pre formed gen 2 brass now.

Bushings I’m using is .314 and .310, depending if it’s the gen 1 or gen 2 brass.I use a Sinclair NT mandrel.

I am giving heavy thought to this cartridge. Is it really worth it? I cannot see what elevation level you all are shooting at. I am mostly around 1k above sea level. It seems like the claims of Sherman are on the 'fast barrels' with max loads. I personally would be interested in more stable brass life and consistency.

Considering the TL3 medium action with a 26" barrel. Looks like the hawkins m5 bottom metal and mdt medium mags will all be friendly? I had originally thought the 180gr hybrids going 3k fps would be a nice lower speed. It seems like some people are pushing the 195 eol pretty hard? How are the eol's handling and holding up? Believe I read somewhere the 195 was questionable upon impact. it's jacket was argued as being thin or something? Anyways...

I hate bumping an older thread, but would like to keep everything contained.

ADG offers a 10% discount for me when purchasing direct. any issues with fireforming?

I have seen dies from Short Action Custom for 7saum. Anyone asked if the special shoulder/neck bushing from a 280ai would swap over? I understand they taper everything.

Thanks guys!

I've been curious about 195s at 2900-3000 fps. I'd think this would be well under the advertised speeds so more of actual safe load while outperforming 7 PRCW's shooing 180s at the same velocity. No clue about the differences in jackets.

ADG doesn't offer the Mil discount on the Sherman wildcats, they said go ask Sherman and he has already told me no. The ADG brass comes with the 40 degree shoulder so no fire forming necessary.

The bushing likely fits in the die but as far as "working" idk, I'd contact SAC (their customer support is quick). You won't find a SAC die for the 7 Max though. Sadly it looks like it's the Hornady dies or his custom die (which I think may be made from a Newton Precision blank die). You could probably get a custom Whidden die made.

Reactions: Quietguy88
I've been curious about 195s at 2900-3000 fps. I'd think this would be well under the advertised speeds so more of actual safe load while outperforming 7 PRCW's shooing 180s at the same velocity. No clue about the differences in jackets.

ADG doesn't offer the Mil discount on the Sherman wildcats, they said go ask Sherman and he has already told me no. The ADG brass comes with the 40 degree shoulder so no fire forming necessary.

The bushing likely fits in the die but as far as "working" idk, I'd contact SAC (their customer support is quick). You won't find a SAC die for the 7 Max though. Sadly it looks like it's the Hornady dies or his custom die (which I think may be made from a Newton Precision blank die). You could probably get a custom Whidden die made.

I figured I could just fire form the brass. I already reached out to sac. No response as of yet.

Sherman said someone in Arizona made the custom sizing die.

Am of the mind that I would rather one of those new fancy adjustable dies. With the shoulder and neck being worked by bushing. Like the idea of leaving die going all the way down case, just adjusting the bump via micrometer or shims. Pending who makes the die.

I am not certain the dimensions of Sherman's reamer. It seems like a basic AI conversion. A few thousandths shorter than the 7saum chamber with a 40* shoulder. Minor crush to hold factory case during forming. Maybe a few thousandths more wide at shoulder and wall junction.

All the same, I had thought a 3.1 to 3.2" coal using 180's would probably be fine. However, if the 195 eol is running steady at 2900fps and not maxing out on pressure.. that may be more worthwhile. Little more drop, but it seems to come back over the 180 hybrid after 1000 yards.

But all in all, dies are pretty limited it seems. Not a fan of Hornady at all. Granted I have a 38spc/357mag/357max TiN coated Hornady die set. But, it was the only thing at store and I was not waiting on mail order. I honestly wanted a regular Lee or rcbs set.

All the same, thank you all. I will wait on adg to push out some more brass. Maybe sac will offer a different bushing for their fancy 7saum sizer. I suspect that would be only thing needed. A 40* bushing set.

Is Rich Sherman on here? Anyone know what the difference between the A & B reamers?

Is Rich Sherman on here? Anyone know what the difference between the A & B reamers?

I believe there was a slight taper difference - apparently the dies and brass were also changed and noted on the box, but suggest to still call Rich and confirm.

Reactions: BCX