• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sherman 7 MAX

Had it in my cart but wouldnt let me finish. Work in the mountains terrible service!!!! Dang the luck

I'm starting 7 Max load work-up, with ADG/Sherman brass, Berger 190 LRHT, Fed 215 and N570.
Can someone who has been there suggest a good starting powder weight for pressure ladder?
Maybe something in the vicinity of 60 or 62 gr?

I'm starting 7 Max load work-up, with ADG/Sherman brass, Berger 190 LRHT, Fed 215 and N570.
Can someone who has been there suggest a good starting powder weight for pressure ladder?
Maybe something in the vicinity of 60 or 62 gr?
I dont use that powder but id say 65 grains is a low starting point. I started with 64 grains with imr 7977 which is way faster. But theres alot of guys who run that powder. Or ask sherman

You’re pretty much going to stuff as much N570 in as possible and call it good
It’s too slow for what’s probably 69-70 grains of water useable case volume.
R26 and N565 are the better choices.

When you get into the 100+ grains of water useable like my 338 edge N570 is awesome.

You’re pretty much going to stuff as much N570 in as possible and call it good
It’s too slow for what’s probably 69-70 grains of water useable case volume.
R26 and N565 are the better choices.

When you get into the 100+ grains of water useable like my 338 edge N570 is awesome.
Thanks, noted. I'm running a long action so not constrained by mag length. With 190 LRHT at the lands, COAL is appx. 1.150"; that should allow some flexibility for jump without bearing surface extending beneath the case neck.

I dont use that powder but id say 65 grains is a low starting point. I started with 64 grains with imr 7977 which is way faster. But theres alot of guys who run that powder. Or ask sherman
Good idea, I called Sherman. For best velocity he recommended N570 over other powders I have available (H1000, MRP, 7828ssc), and said near 100% fill would get to or near 3000 fps. And he suggested a 67 gr. start load.

I might shoot some tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thanks, noted. I'm running a long action so not constrained by mag length. With 190 LRHT at the lands, COAL is appx. 1.150"; that should allow some flexibility for jump without bearing surface extending beneath the case neck.

Good idea, I called Sherman. For best velocity he recommended N570 over other powders I have available (H1000, MRP, 7828ssc), and said near 100% fill would get to or near 3000 fps. And he suggested a 67 gr.

Let us know speed and how it works

Good idea, I called Sherman. For best velocity he recommended N570 over other powders I have available (H1000, MRP, 7828ssc), and said near 100% fill would get to or near 3000 fps. And he suggested a 67 gr. start load.

I’m not sure of your barrel length but I predict 2930 (28”) but fairly low pressures 61K at 67.

Start at 66-67 grains w n570. I ran N570 w Berger 190 up to 70 grains which is a compressed load. The 190 ran best for me w 68 gr N570 at 3.200 OAL. All shot from a 26 " Proof 1-8.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tchitcherine
Start at 66-67 grains w n570. I ran N570 w Berger 190 up to 70 grains which is a compressed load. The 190 ran best for me w 68 gr N570 at 3.200 OAL. All shot from a 26 " Proof 1-8.
Yes, I did see your posts at the start of this thread, and your powder, bullet, and barrel are (were) right in there with what I am working with -- very helpful, thanks.

I ran a 10 shot ladder from 66 to 70.5 in 0.5 increments. No pressure signs to speak of. At 68 gr. I got 2948 fps; at 70 gr. I got 3034 fps. Not gonna lie, I am not hating these results.

I'm going to have to get a powder drop LOL. At 70 gr. the powder is up in the neck. Tapping the case on the bench did cause some settling, but still, there is slight compression but no crunch when seating. COAL=3.140".

Reactions: Steel head and BCX
Shot from the bench, seated, 100 yds, 5 rounds each at { 67, 68, 69, 70 } grains of N570, with Magnetspeed attached; 68 gr. made the best group (appx 3/4") and least variance. I think the gun wants to shoot better, but the operator is the weak link.
1622771913349.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JTH and BCX
You guys using Rich’s headstamped ADG brass? Need to get some bushings and this batch of brass was a little loose in the next. I’m thinking .314, .313 and .312 neck bushings. What are you guys using?

You guys using Rich’s headstamped ADG brass? Need to get some bushings and this batch of brass was a little loose in the next. I’m thinking .314, .313 and .312 neck bushings. What are you guys using?
I am using .310 and just ordered a .309 to try more neck tension. My loaded rounds are .312-.3115 + or -.

Reactions: HogsLife
When i had mine I think I bought .314 then .312 .311 and before I sold I think I needed .310. Depends on the brass lot

Appreciate the info guys. Looks like I’ll end up ordering .309-.314 and seeing how it works out.

Reactions: Schw15
When i had mine I think I bought .314 then .312 .311 and before I sold I think I needed .310. Depends on the brass lot

How’s the 7828 work For you? I’m not interested in the N570. I do have 10lbs of H1k and 20+ lbs of 7828 so fingers crossed it works. Plan on runing 180gn Beger hybrids out of a 26” proof. I’d be happy with low to mid 2900’s

How’s the 7828 work For you? I’m not interested in the N570. I do have 10lbs of H1k and 20+ lbs of 7828 so fingers crossed it works. Plan on runing 180gn Beger hybrids out of a 26” proof. I’d be happy with low to mid 2900’s
I didn't use 7828. I used imr 7977 and imr 8133. I didn't have much luck with that cal so moved on. But imr 7828 is good powder for speed not as temp stable. Should work fine in hunting situations

I didn't use 7828. I used imr 7977 and imr 8133. I didn't have much luck with that cal so moved on. But imr 7828 is good powder for speed not as temp stable. Should work fine in hunting situations

Yeah 10-4. I have the dies and brass but haven’t decided 100% on whether I wanna run the Max or just stick with Reg 7RM. Seems like a lot more powder options with the 7RM and powders that I currently have.

If you were to do it over again, what would be your choice?

Last edited:
Yeah 10-4. I have the dies and brass but haven’t decided 100% on whether I wanna run the Max or just stick with Reg 7RM. Seems like a lot more powder options with the 7RM and powders that I currently have.

If you were to do it over again, what would be your choice?
I would not do 7 max personally again. The speed was not there the brass was different everything needed different bushing as well. I had die issues not much help ended buying another set. But others had good results. Is this hunting rifle?

I would not do 7 max personally again. The speed was not there the brass was different everything needed different bushing as well. I had die issues not much help ended buying another set. But others had good results. Is this hunting rifle?

Goood to know. Yeah it’s gonna mainly be hunting rifle. Kind of a mixture of both. LR Elk / deer.

Kicked around a 28N but not into it for the same reason I’m not into using the N570. I like to shoot too much for sub-1k barrel life. Figured 7RM and just run 168’s would fit the bill if I decide against the 7Max

Goood to know. Yeah it’s gonna mainly be hunting rifle. Kind of a mixture of both. LR Elk / deer.

Kicked around a 28N but not into it for the same reason I’m not into using the N570. I like to shoot too much for sub-1k barrel life. Figured 7RM and just run 168’s would fit the bill if I decide against the 7Max
7 rem mag is good. I had a 28 nosler for hunting only and it was good but didn't keep it long sold the action. But h1k and 7828 should be good in a 7 mag.

7 rem mag is good. I had a 28 nosler for hunting only and it was good but didn't keep it long sold the action. But h1k and 7828 should be good in a 7 mag.

I appreciate the help man. Thinking I’m gonna run with the 7RM.

I appreciate the help man. Thinking I’m gonna run with the 7RM.
There's also a 7 saum in long action that does pretty well. Let us know what you decide. 7 rem mag is pretty good and easy to reload at least the ones I had

I have been using the Sherman/ADG 7 Max brass, and am still using 0.312" bushing and 21C T28 mandrel -- works so far with both 190 LRHT and 170 Cayuga, YMMV.

How's the 170 Cayuga treating you?
Nothing new to report since my post in the other (bullets) thread. Hunting out here was fucked by fires in the Sierras this Fall so no interesting terminal results. I have a batch loaded for testing at a mile (+/-), but also many distractions. New stock is inbound from Manners, so I expect shooting this thing will resume shortly :)

Nothing new to report since my post in the other (bullets) thread. Hunting out here was fucked by fires in the Sierras this Fall so no interesting terminal results. I have a batch loaded for testing at a mile (+/-), but also many distractions. New stock is inbound from Manners, so I expect shooting this thing will resume shortly :)
Awesome interested in results at 1 mile. Yeah hunting Is rough this year here. Dry hot and no snow makes it pretty hard. I'm glad I didn't draw no tags haha

Is anyone annealing the ADG/Sherman 7mm Max brass with AMP annealer? If yes, what settings are you using? These cases are not in AMP online list of Cartridge & Brand. The ADG 7 SAUM case *is* listed, but not sure that can/should be used with 7 Max.

Rich said one of his other customers is supposedly sending the required (6) sample cases to AMP for analysis. If that is one of you studs, can you please post if and when you sent them in?

I believe Rich was referring to me but work has been crazy this year! I never got around to it>

Did anyone ever get the AMP code for ADG brass? I still never sent brass in.

Do you have the old AMP software that doesn't have the Aztec "Analyze" feature? If you send me a case, I'm happy to murder it for you and get the right code. PM me if you need that.

I have the Aztec mode but Amp told me not to use the 7 SAUM code to Analyze. They wanted me to send cases in.

I finally got a sample set of ADG/Sherman (headstamped 7 Max) once-fired cases prepped and out the door to AMP in NZ. When I receive results I will share here.

Reactions: BCX
Was the Amp code generated from the preformed Gen 2 40 brass? I believe the necks are thinner than Shermans Gen 1 brass.

The samples I sent came from Sherman, hydro-formed including 40º shoulder.

FYI, I just ran AZTEC Analyze function (1 case only, 3x fired, not neck-turned) it reported "CODE: 0144".

Looks like the new 7 PRC will have similar case capacity to the 7 MAX

Mid to high 70s. I think max is 77 or so and the new mega case is 83 or so. The mega looks very interesting

My 7 MAX has had no love this year… time to break it out the safe!

Reactions: Schw15
Last time I had it out was end of last year… she’s good.

I finally dragged the 7 Max to the range w me over the weekend. I’m a little lean on scopes this year so had to pull one while at the range. Virgin 7 Max brass w 40 degree shoulder n570 Berger 195. First 3 shots prone @ 100… I’d say she’s still doing good 😉
BB92778D-768F-4EFF-8F9E-C21E7AE4A5C8.jpeg