• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shilen accuracy: Select Match Grade vs Match Grade

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
Does it make sens to pay extra for the select match? Is it going to be even slightly more accurate?

According to Shilen:

"So how much accuracy does a couple of "tenths" give away, compared to our Select Match barrels? Perhaps not any! "

Re: Shilen accuracy: Select Match Grade vs Match Grade

Personally a vendor that sells different grades of barrels makes me wonder they do not turn perfect barrels every time. My advice is to go with BARTLEIN, rock.

I am not tring to "bash" Shilen but over the last 8 years or so I have seen some sub par work coming out of their shop. Most of it has been from the chambering they offer, chambers not cut to spec, one was not finished reamed, one was off center. I have alos seen a drop in barrel quality (based on accuracy over several barrels). I know they were VERY good short range benchrest barrel and have set a lot of records but from my experience the quality has dropped off.

With all this being said the good news is there are some great barrels offered today by many different companys. So your options are open. I would however suggest if you are working with a gunsmith use the barrel they reccomend because they proably have a good working relationship with that company and any warranty work (if necessary) will be easier for both of you.

Ive used 9 barrel blanks from Shilen.

3 Select Match, and 6 Match.

All shoot half MOA.

The difference between SM and M, is the SM barrels are hand lapped. this makes the bore diameter more consistent and shinier... removes tooling marks.

Their Select Match grade is the $300 grade and it is the only grade that is fair to compare to Rock, Bartlein, Oby, etc. because they cost the same.

The less expensive Match grade will shoot half inch if the rifle builder does his part. Taking the time to "break in" the throat and bore wouldn't hurt.

Id never let a large company like that chamber a rifle for me. Id only buy blanks or contoured blanks from them... then let the small shop gunsmith of your choice chamber and build the rifle.

In my opinion, any time you buy a rifle, it can be a crapshoot as to how well it will shoot. The better the parts that go into it, and the better the smith, the greater the chance it will shoot. Buy buying the better grade barrel; you are improving your chances of getting a tack driver. If I really wanted a rifle to shoot tiny groups I would get the best parts I could buy, and I would have them put together by the best smith I could afford.

Keith I agree with you about allowing them to do a chamber. The barrels I am speeking of have been a friend of mine and each time he asked me to help him on some issues he has had with them. I am sure they can still turn out a good blank but I have seen too many issues that never should of been come out of their shop as of late. I think if they botch up a chamber job by ommiting a step is just inexcuseable, and it would make me wonder about the QC of the barrel blanks. These are just my experiences with their company.

I've used Douglas, Shilen & Pacnor Match bbls and Super Match bbls and with custom tailored handloads couldn't see much of a difference. That being said...The price difference is miniscule when you factor in the heavy expense of ammo, cleaning supplies, gas to the range, bbl wear etc... If I were shooting 300 yards or less or hunting/varmint shooting, I'd probably go the cheaper route.

Look how good cheap Remington 700 heavy bbls can shoot, and they are nowhere's near the quality of the cheaper grade match bbls available from the top name bbl makers.

I've got a Shilen SM prefit on my Savage 284. When I got the barrel, I used the tool to measure distance to the lands and found out that a 175 smk would be almost out of the case before it touched the lands. Called Shilen about it and they fixed it very quick. It shoots 1/2 moa and couldn't be happier with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not tring to "bash" Shilen but over the last 8 years or so I have seen some sub par work coming out of their shop. Most of it has been from the chambering they offer, chambers not cut to spec, one was not finished reamed, one was off center. I have alos seen a drop in barrel quality (based on accuracy over several barrels). I know they were VERY good short range benchrest barrel and have set a lot of records but from my experience the quality has dropped off.

With all this being said the good news is there are some great barrels offered today by many different companys. So your options are open. I would however suggest if you are working with a gunsmith use the barrel they reccomend because they proably have a good working relationship with that company and any warranty work (if necessary) will be easier for both of you. </div></div>

The last gunsmith I used refused to use Shilen barrels after installing them and getting sub par groups and their CS not caring to at least look at them.

I was going to go with shilen, but went with rock creek in the end. A little more money but a lot more quality.

Makes me nervous when every barrel fits into a different category. Go with a Kreiger or a Bartlein and don't look back. Hope this helps. Paul.

www.boltfluting.com

I've had about half a dozen Shilen Select Match barrels. All of them but one was sub-half MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Makes me nervous when every barrel fits into a different category. Go with a Kreiger or a Bartlein and don't look back. Hope this helps. Paul.

www.boltfluting.com </div></div>

My way of thinking as well....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Makes me nervous when every barrel fits into a different category. Go with a Kreiger or a Bartlein and don't look back. Hope this helps. Paul.

www.boltfluting.com </div></div>

My way of thinking as well.... </div></div>

Hand-lapped or not?

I`ve owned used sold and still use and installed a few dozen Shilen Select Match...NEVER HAD A BAD ONE.....
BILL LARSON

I have one Shilen, 5 Kreigers, 5 Bartlein. Point made....

Woaw, what a surprise!!!
Initially I had my heart set on Shilen prefited for my Savage 10 (I want to do it myself). I was just hesitating between the Selected Match and the Match grade. But after reading all the replies, I think I’ll go with Criterion instead. For me Shilen had always been a mythical brand, synonym of ultimate accuracy. I must admit I’m a little disappointed.

My smith won't use anything but Rock, Pac Nor, or Bartlein. He says that the Shilen, Douglas and Lilja barrels can be a crap shoot if it is a good one or not. He said that things have changed for these makers over the last 20 years.

I had Shilen rebarrel an R700 a few years back in 270.

I could only afford the Match grade but can't imagine I'm losing out on very much accuracy.

I realize this is a sample of one, but I have been very pleased.

Bear11071.jpg

Bearsightin022.jpg

At 300 meters on a calm day.

Threehundredmeters.jpg

PS I realize these are not "groups" according to the rules here on SH, but this is a lightweight hunting rifle with a very thin (#2) barrel and even GAP judges the accuracy of their LW hunter class rifles on 3 shot groups.

But feel free to delete the post if the groups pictured are prohibited.

Sorry
smile.gif

I don't think it's worth it to purchase the select match grade, which is intended for formal benchrest shooting, for a sniper rifle. Sure if you want the ultimate in accuracy then go with the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ehparis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think it's worth it to purchase the select match grade, which is intended for formal benchrest shooting, for a sniper rifle. Sure if you want the ultimate in accuracy then go with the best. </div></div>

I know of many "sniper" rifles that can shoot with any short range benchrest rifle. The only gain in accuracy is in having a gun that is designed to ride in bags like a precision lathe, takes most to all of the shooters influence out of the equation. So only the <span style="text-decoration: underline">best </span>components go into my rifles!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Woaw, what a surprise!!!
Initially I had my heart set on Shilen prefited for my Savage 10 (I want to do it myself). I was just hesitating between the Selected Match and the Match grade. But after reading all the replies, I think I’ll go with Criterion instead. For me Shilen had always been a mythical brand, synonym of ultimate accuracy. I must admit I’m a little disappointed.
</div></div>.

I have ran a lot of the pre fit select match barrels on different savages. Had amazing results along with many of the people in my group of shooting friends. After talking with Kevin ray hill at stockade I think I am going to have him do me up a benchmark for my next just to give it a try.

I am finally working out my REM 700 with a 308 Select match Stainless 26 in .850 muzzle 1 in 10 twist. The problems are with the shooter. Got sub 1/2 MOA with Federal Match 168's and 44gn Varget on a 175 MK now I have to chrongraph and final dial in. I am sure the groups will shrink as I get better. 30 years as a primary pistol shooter requires some adjustments. Rifle in a H&S stock Also had them change the trigger to their 1.5 pound unit. All good but time will tell if the knucklehead behind the trigger can get there

I have a Shilen Select Match on my Rem 700 25-06. With hand loads it's a 1/2 moa rifle. However, it was not my first choice and my smith contacted a friend of his at Shilen to have the barrel made for me. I have seen several rifles with Shilen barrels that didn't group worth a crap. I doubt I will ever purchase another of their products based on what I have seen of their work. Even the smith that built my 25-06 was not enthusiastic about using a Shilen, but couldn't find another barrel in stock that was available.

Take a look at Benchmark, McGowan, and Lothar Walther if you want a quality button rifled barrel at a fair price. If money is not an issue then get a Bartlein, Rock, Krieger, Obermeyer, Broughton or Brux. I've had at one point or another a barrel from all of the above and they all shot or shoot as good as any. In fact, I can hardly tell the difference between any of them. They all clean up with little or no elbow grease, and all of them shoot better than I do. As stated above, I recommend buying the blank contoured and fluted to your specs, then have a good smith that knows his craft chamber, crown, and install the barrel.

I went with a Lothar Walther pre fit for my savage.
They usually have .308 barrels in stock.
It is a VERY nice barrel.

I think it comes down to most folks dont know how to shoot button barrels, or should i say how to tune them and keep them in tune. The very best, most accurate barrel i have ever owned was a shilen. I wish i had a dozen more just like it!
When a fella does his own chamber work you start to get a feel for things inside the different barrels, and how they are made. I will tell you i have had issues with a very famous cut rifled barrel maker with the land heigh not being equal. Makes it real difficult to dial a barrel in for chambering. They dont seem to shoot worth much either when they are like this, and out of the last 5 i have chambered 3 of them had uneven land heights. Sucks!!

The last shilen barrel i chambered was flawless!! Shoots that way also. Im talking .003 runout from one end to the other. I have never seen anything close to this with any other barrel. Does this matter? Perhaps not, but i like seeing it! Lee

Last edited:
For the 30-40 bucks extra the sm is worth it. I have one in 6.5cm on a savage, pretty normal to shoot in the mid .3s off a bipod . Sure would like to see these "sniper" rifles that can shoot as good as a br rifle. I am betting that it would take similar rest/bag combo for the "sniper" rifle to shoot that good. Even then i wager that they couldn't do it with the boring regularity that a br rifle can.

Good thread.

Thinking about which maker to buy from for a Savage that will become a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Shilens and Criterions are the easiest to obtain prechambered from Northland but the Krieger I bought to replace a worn Remeington barrel is fantastic. It was chambered, crowned and installed by a local smith and with a very quick turnaround.

May just go that route again.

Woaw, what a surprise!!!

Yep, me too! In fact I was gonna call them Monday to order 2 barrels, I think I may give L-W a call instead.

my personal feeling.... if a shilen select match is 300... and a bartlein is 340ish (bugholes)...and no one has ever said a bad word about a bartlein....$40 diff is cheap insurance to make sure no issues

If we are talking about savage prefits, 340ish for a shilen or criterion is going to be 125 bucks cheaper then the 340 bartlien blank

I think it comes down to most folks dont know how to shoot button barrels, or should i say how to tune them and keep them in tune. The very best, most accurate barrel i have ever owned was a shilen. I wish i had a dozen more just like it!
When a fella does his own chamber work you start to get a feel for things inside the different barrels, and how they are made. I will tell you i have had issues with a very famous cut rifled barrel maker with the land heigh not being equal. Makes it real difficult to dial a barrel in for chambering. They dont seem to shoot worth much either when they are like this, and out of the last 5 i have chambered 3 of them had uneven land heights. Sucks!!

The last shilen barrel i chambered was flawless!! Shoots that way also. Im talking .003 runout from one end to the other. I have never seen anything close to this with any other barrel. Does this matter? Perhaps not, but i like seeing it! Lee

well grasshoppa.......you should be indicating the grooves and NOT the lands!

chuck