• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shilen DGR Actions

Dirty D

Resident Sommelier of cellulite
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Your moms house
Last week I called Stiller to ask if they would thread one of their actions for the Savage pre fit thread pitch, Jerry answered the phone when I called and he said they already make them that way for Shilen. The Shilen is basically a Tac-30 or Tac-300 with the Savage pre fit thread pitch and a floating bolt head. The DGR seem to check every box that I have been looking for:
1. Savage (small shank) thread pitch to accept any of the pre fits out there.
2. Savage barrel nut system so I don't have to add $300 to the cost of a new barrel to have it installed by a smith.
3. Floating bolt heads that interchange from .223 case family to 308/30-06 case family to 300WM case family to 338 Norma/Lapua case family (PT&G makes all of these bolt heads for sale to the public).
4. Remington footprint so the stock options are almost endless.
5. Made by Stiller to their tolerances and Stiller is widely known for their excellent machining.
6. Excellent customer service, I made it clear to Jerry that I am just a guy looking for a single action and not a company looking to buy in quantity and he would had stayed on the phone with me chatting all day had I not been respectful of his time and cut it short.

Maybe my Google fu is getting weak but using Google and using the search engine on this site I couldn't find any reviews on the Shilen DGR, does anyone here have one and would you care to share your experiences good and/or bad?

Ya know, it's funny... I was just looking into those actions last week. I'm with you in that the DGR sounds like a heck of a deal on paper, but I couldn't find very many people using them (well, talking on the Internet about using them, anyhow).

Based on what I can tell the feature set is very similar to the Bighorn action, which seems to be a very popular option for many of the members here on the Hide. Note that I am not looking to start a pi$$ing contest, re: Stiller-built actions vs. Bighorn actions, but on paper the two actions (Shilen DGR and Bighorn SR2) are very similar.

I would happily try one of the Shilen's if offered in the configuration I want, a RBRP single shot. Called both Shilen and Stiller and they said not doing it…

John

I would happily try one of the Shilen's if offered in the configuration I want, a RBRP single shot. Called both Shilen and Stiller and they said not doing it…

John

That is really strange, I went back and checked out Shilen's action page and for the DGV (single shot) they do not offer a RBRP. They offer a LBRP and an RBLP but not a RBRP. Go figure...

I've always thought the DGR or Bighorn would make a really fun project if you wanted to attempt to put something together yourself and use all top-quality components and have a really nice shooter that was capable of different calibers and easy barrel changes. If you could get different bolt heads, do a barrel nut, get a Rock pre-fit, timney trigger, use a chassis, mini-chassis, or bed it yourself and you've got a rifle that should perform very well that didn't have a a lot of labor cost. Still have to use a smith for threading the barrel.

If you could get different bolt heads.

PT&G makes excellent replacement bolt heads for $49, go here Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. - Savage Performance

Still have to use a smith for threading the barrel.

Shilen uses the same pre fit thread pattern that Savage uses so you can but a ready to go Lothar Walther, Criterion, Pacnor, Shilen, ER Shaw.... and install it yourself because it uses the same barrel nut system. I have 3 different caliber barrels sitting in my safe for the same action.

:)

PT&G makes excellent replacement bolt heads for $49, go here Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. - Savage Performance

Shilen uses the same pre fit thread pattern that Savage uses so you can but a ready to go Lothar Walther, Criterion, Pacnor, Shilen, ER Shaw.... and install it yourself because it uses the same barrel nut system. I have 3 different caliber barrels sitting in my safe for the same action.

:)

The bolt heads are savage compatible also?

\
Shilen uses the same pre fit thread pattern that Savage uses so you can but a ready to go Lothar Walther, Criterion, Pacnor, Shilen, ER Shaw.... and install it yourself because it uses the same barrel nut system.

I meant that for the average guy he could change out the barrels himself but most people don't have a lathe to thread the other end of the barrel for muzzle devices.

That's interesting news about the bolt heads. In the past Shilen, Stiller, and PTG have been very hush hush about bolt head interchangeability.

Anyone use one of these in tactical match? Curious how temperamental they are in those conditions.

Haven't used my DGR in a match, but have thoroughly run it through its paces. It runs flawlessly, and stacks bullets. I couldn't be happier, especially for the $.

The Crucible: Building the Ultimate Long-Range .308 Rifle | Outdoor Life

Here is an article about the shilen with Jacob from Rifles Only.

That article was a good read, thank you. I've been curious about these actions for awhile now. Seems like the best of both worlds. I always wondered though why they haven't gained more popularity. Glad to see an article where the rifle was really put through the paces. I think one of these actions with a PAC-Nor barrel would be a great combination.

That's interesting news about the bolt heads. In the past Shilen, Stiller, and PTG have been very hush hush about bolt head interchangeability.

I had a conversation with Jim Briggs yesterday about the Shilens and he is not sure if the bolt heads are interchangeable, I am just going to have to get one and find out myself as that is not a deal breaker for me.

Haven't used my DGR in a match, but have thoroughly run it through its paces. It runs flawlessly, and stacks bullets. I couldn't be happier, especially for the $.

You are now required by SH law to post a review and pics. Get to work!

Just sold a Kimber to free up some funds, will be ordering a DGR this week.

Could you please let us know if the bolt heads are indeed the same as a Savage or a custom bolt head. I've seen on the net where people have said both.

Could you please let us know if the bolt heads are indeed the same as a Savage or a custom bolt head. I've seen on the net where people have said both.

I have been told both myself and am eager to see for myself. Jim Briggs called Shilen and they are about 6 months out on the LA RBRP mag bolt face that I want. I will post my findings but it will be around the holidays.

I talked to Shilen about their DGR actions and Shilen was adamant that the bolt heads were NOT interchangeable.

Last time I looked into buying a Shilen action for a switch barrel, online they were not available any longer. ???
Last week I called Stiller to ask if they would thread one of their actions for the Savage pre fit thread pitch, Jerry answered the phone when I called and he said they already make them that way for Shilen. The Shilen is basically a Tac-30 or Tac-300 with the Savage pre fit thread pitch and a floating bolt head. The DGR seem to check every box that I have been looking for:
1. Savage (small shank) thread pitch to accept any of the pre fits out there.
2. Savage barrel nut system so I don't have to add $300 to the cost of a new barrel to have it installed by a smith.
3. Floating bolt heads that interchange from .223 case family to 308/30-06 case family to 300WM case family to 338 Norma/Lapua case family (PT&G makes all of these bolt heads for sale to the public).
4. Remington footprint so the stock options are almost endless.
5. Made by Stiller to their tolerances and Stiller is widely known for their excellent machining.
6. Excellent customer service, I made it clear to Jerry that I am just a guy looking for a single action and not a company looking to buy in quantity and he would had stayed on the phone with me chatting all day had I not been respectful of his time and cut it short.

Maybe my Google fu is getting weak but using Google and using the search engine on this site I couldn't find any reviews on the Shilen DGR, does anyone here have one and would you care to share your experiences good and/or bad?

Do they drop into Remington stocks/chassis?

The specs list them as having a R700 footprint, so I'd say yes. It looks like it takes R700 triggers and possibly the same bases as well.

Last time I looked into buying a Shilen action for a switch barrel, online they were not available any longer. ???

I think it was one of their earlier actions, DGA maybe, that they discontinued. They have the DGR and DGV actions listed on their site for $950, nothing about them being unavailable.

They are not unavailable but as of 2 weeks ago when I talked to them about a long action they were 10-11 months out on orders.