• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shiloh Sharps

It has never been defiled with smokeless powder!
Mine either. Which as a result, I haven't touched it in 10-12 years. :(
None of my BPCR's for that matter.

Casting, patching, loading, shooting, cleaning.... it just doesn't fit into my life anymore.
Makes me wish my Sharps was a different caliber I could easily load some smokeless rounds and shoot it once in a while.

Casting, patching, loading, shooting, cleaning.... it just doesn't fit into my life anymore.
Makes me wish my Sharps was a different caliber I could easily load some smokeless rounds and shoot it once in a while.
What caliber is yours?

.50-90

Accurate powders used to list some loads, don't seem to anymore. (Though they do list .50-140 loads ):oops:

The other wrinkle is bullet weight. For years I shot a 700gr PP from a KAL adjustable mold... because they were the most accurate. More "recently" dropped to a 650 for something with more meplat. They didn't shoot as well, but good enough to hunt with. Any loads I've run across, or any similar capacity .50 cartridges I could extrapolate data from are all for much lighter bullets.

Hartford model. Funny that it's one of, if not THE prettiest rifle I own, yet the only pictures I have of it are these two from the day it showed up.

5090.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a couple boxes of these thought I’d give them a try with maybe some 3031.. ??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 19

I find it rather funny that people think you can't shoot smokeless out of a larger caliber BPCR. I've done it for years with not only a 45-90 but a Trapdoor as well. Don't get me wrong I've used Black Powder too when required in NRA Target rifle and silhouette matches. I go back and forth a lot and like to experiment. I'm currently shooting paper patch with a load of WC 872 in gong matches. A chronograph is a must when working up loads.

I find it rather funny that people think you can't shoot smokeless out of a larger caliber BPCR. I've done it for years with not only a 45-90 but a Trapdoor as well. Don't get me wrong I've used Black Powder too when required in NRA Target rifle and silhouette matches. I go back and forth a lot and like to experiment. I'm currently shooting paper patch with a load of WC 872 in gong matches. A chronograph is a must when working up loads.
The lack of safe data is the issue for most. I agree with you but the hesitance by many users doesn’t surprise me.

I shot countless .45-90 500-530gr loaded with XMP5744 from a Pedersoli rolling block I had. One of the guns I convinced myself I didn't need anymore and sold to offset the cost of the Sharps. Looking back, with the lust all gone, and discounting the logical arguments about looks, value/worth, build quality, maybe even accuracy... I think I'd rather still have the roller.

I have a couple GG bullet molds for the .510Whipser and have been thinking... "same bullet weight, deep seat, use a hotter load to use more space and some Pufflon. Maybe? " I'm not afraid of case fillers and used Pufflon on my .577/450 loads)

But... it hasn't been a high priority. I have simple things I'm not doing, so more complex things don't stand a chance at the moment.

Last edited:
What caliber is yours?
Now this is just my opinion and I am sure the manufacturer would disagree since all the most of the rifles have Black Powder (lawyers requirement) only on them. But I would believe that the metal in them is the same as the 45-70 and even in the originals you could use the modern powder substitute for Black powder pyrodex or something I am a terrible speller. Now I have taken the replica of the 95 Winchester and the 86 Winchester that Winchester came out with a number of years ago and conservatively loaded them with smokeless powder. No problem didn't see any sign of over pressure so I still do it! Now don't everyone jump down my back!!

.50-90

Accurate powders used to list some loads, don't seem to anymore. (Though they do list .50-140 loads ):oops:

The other wrinkle is bullet weight. For years I shot a 700gr PP from a KAL adjustable mold... because they were the most accurate. More "recently" dropped to a 650 for something with more meplat. They didn't shoot as well, but good enough to hunt with. Any loads I've run across, or any similar capacity .50 cartridges I could extrapolate data from are all for much lighter bullets.

Hartford model. Funny that it's one of, if not THE prettiest rifle I own, yet the only pictures I have of it are these two from the day it showed up.

5090.jpg
50-140! I feel like I need a rifle chambered for that in my life…

Beautiful rifle you have.

Reactions: oldrifleman
50-140! I feel like I need a rifle chambered for that in my life…

Beautiful rifle you have.
That was never an original sharps chambering, and really it would just punish you, and everybody who has them hates them except for the novelty. That cartridge didn’t come out until several years after sharps closed its doors. The 50-90 is an original chambering, and will beat your ass plenty with a 750 g bullet. Most people don’t even like those very much. And because this is Snipers Hide, both of those would be absolutely terrible choices for long shooting.

That was never an original sharps chambering, and really it would just punish you, and everybody who has them hates them except for the novelty. That cartridge didn’t come out until several years after sharps closed its doors. The 50-90 is an original chambering, and will beat your ass plenty with a 750 g bullet. Most people don’t even like those very much. And because this is Snipers Hide, both of those would be absolutely terrible choices for long shooting.
I‘m tracking. I was kinda joking. But a 45-110 is truly a cartridge I have considered...

Reactions: Supersubes
I‘m tracking. I was kinda joking. But a 45-110 is truly a cartridge I have considered...
You can order right off the website for $250 deposit. Theyre running a little over two years till it will go into production, at which time they’ll want the balance. Then you’ll have it about 6 mo wait after that to receive it.

Is Bill Goodman still doing his thing? What's he charge for a spot in line these days? :)

I don't remember what it was in 2006, but I felt it was worth it.
I think I figured "Well I'm already spending $$$$ that I don't have (far and away more than I'd ever spent on a firearms before), I might as well spend $$ more and have it a year, year and a half sooner."

I shot the .50-90 a lot, weekly, some times both days on the weekend when I was working at the range and I was hot and heavy with it. Then fairly regularly for a long while. 700gr with 110grs of 1F powder. Didn't mind it at all. Took a break from it for a while and didn't shoot it for a year or two. I wanted to get back into shooting it, but decided I was never going to shoot the thing long, or even medium range, so I'd lose the accurate, but very pointy bullets I had been shooting and switch to a lighter, flatter bullet for hunting. I had a box of 20 rounds loaded, figured I'd go plink with them to use up the rest of them. I think I shot three of them and said "Screw this! I used to enjoy this? Oh my God!" Felt like my brain was rattling around in my skull. I pulled the bullets there at the bench and fired out the compressed charges as blanks just to get them empty.

Joke was partially on me though. I'd just started shooting at a new range, but wasn't real familiar with the setup yet. I'm tall, long in the torso. The benches (stools) there were much too tall for me to be using shooting off their benches, so I was really hunched over without realizing it, making the recoil far worse than normal. I didn't even pick up on it till another trip when something I shouldn't have noticed the recoil on at all surprised me.

Last edited:
Is Bill Goodman still doing his thing? What's he charge for a spot in line these days? :)

I don't remember what it was in 2006, but I felt it was worth it.
I think I figured "Well I'm already spending $$$$ that I don't have (far and away more than I'd ever spent on a firearms before), I might as well spend $$ more and have it a year, year and a half sooner."
Yes, just spoke to him the other day. Business as usual. Still $200 and he wants a $1k deposit.