• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shims in stock to free float - ok?

gannon145

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2012
FL
I recently bought a Rem 700 ADL during the dick's sporting goods special. I have all intentions of replacing the stock, but this is my first long range rifle so I'm taking my time.

However in the mean time, in the stock configuration the barrel is not free floated. I saw a few videos about shimming the front side of the action to give the barrel some clearance. I went ahead and tried it and it does give enough relief on the stock.

However, if I use the rifle in this shimmed configuration is there any potential long term damage that could occur?

Re: Shims in stock to free float - ok?

Loose the shims, either get a stock that free floats the barrel or modify yours so it is not touching the barrel.You can get a good stock that meets these reqirements for under $300. Whats up with "Shims" here lately.

i have a 700adl that i got for like 400 bucks...i took the gun apart and hit everything forward of the receiver with a dremel. took about 40 minutes to get it done. I would go that route.

next step is i am going to fill the barrel channel with fiberglass and go back at it with the dremel again, might want to look at that option to strengthen the existing stock until you can save your pennies and get a decent stock (thats what im doing).

Not going to hurt anything with shims. Maybe not the best short term solution. Dremel tool barrel channel work and carbon fiber arrow shafts epoxied into the forend are a better way to go.

The improtant question is: how does it shoot with the shims?

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The improtant question is: how does it shoot with the shims?OFG </div></div>
Haven't shot it yet with the shims. Didn't want to cause any undo damage.

I am swapping out stocks eventually, for those stating that. However, I am trying to get to some matches at my range to see if I can get behind some different stocks so I know what I like first.

As far as the dremel, I just didn't see the point of permanently modifying a POS stock. I figured the shims would be easier. I guess I'll shoot it and see how the shims work and then decide from there.

Have only put 40 rounds through it so far, prior to the shims being installed. I honestly can't say what it was capable of because my shooting needs to improve.