• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping a rifle

fhace126

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
i didnt really know were to put this thread but whatever.

so i live in alabama and my family owns a ranch in texas and i go out there to go hunting sometimes, most of the time i drive but certain occasions i fly and correct me if im wrong but i think it would be a pretty big hassle to let tsa put a rifle in my check in luggage. so i am wondering what are the procedures to shipping a rifle ups do you just box it up as a regular package and send it or do you have to pay for extra services etc. or will they even let you?

Re: Shipping a rifle

If I were you, I would buy something discreet like a quitar or musical instrument case and just check it in with your luggage. Will save you tons of money in shipping and save you time as well.

As far as shipping is concerned, cheapest way I have found to do it is just ship it through my local gun shop. Usually they have tons of spare boxes left and their shipping rates are pretty cheap since they are always shipping stuff.

Don't worry about TSA (Thousands Standing Around)... follow the rules and you will have no problem.

To save time checking in a rifle.

1. Check with the airline you are flying with (or PM me)
2. Do not store the ammunition with the rifle itself
3. Show up a little bit earlier and make sure and declare what it is you have.

All set!

I think it would be a big mistake checking a firearm in any case without declaring it. All checked baggage gets x-rayed, even guitar cases, and I would not want the federal charge of not declaring the firearm. A guilty verdict would be the end of your legal ability of posessing a firearm as I imagine not declaring it is a felony.

Just my 2 cents,

You can check your rifle with the airline before you get on. You would check it just like you were checking any other lugage but you need to tell them you are checking a gun then show them the empty gun, then put your lock on the case. After that you are good to go! Thats why I store my rifles in Pelican cases, they even have a pressure release button on the case. Otherwise you will have a hard time opening the case because of the vacuum created by the high altitude.

Its really not a big deal to take it with you on your flight people do it all the time. I know I guy that flew with an machine gun MP5 and he had no problems. So just don't make it a big deal and it will not be one!

Whether shipping via UPS or USPS, I think there is a distinction between in-state and out-of-state. You must ship to/from an FFL holder for out of state. UPS requires shipping with "adult signature required."

On the airlines you need to use a TSA-approved lock and declare it. For the person who suggested shipping it in a guitar box, I don't think you are suggesting not to declare the firearm, but just want to clarify that. Hopefully, nobody got that impression. Would seem to be a bad idea to carry a firearm on an airline without letting TSA know...
smile.gif

From the ATF homepage FAQ's section
here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm</span>.</span>

I believe (but I could be wrong) you can ship/mail a long-gun to your self even if it is out of state. Check out the ATF rules as stated above but it would beat having to pay a transfer thru a dealer.

I was under the impression you can ship a gun to yourself.

Like if I was in CA and moved to Nevada, I could ship it to me once I had my living address.

I could then move to the new location, and ship it, like UPS ground, the it would arrive a few days later.

Am I correct?

I'm pretty sure that if you ship a firearm from one State to another via UPS or any other shipping company it has to go to an FFL holder in the receiving State and be transferred back to you from tha FFL holder. In fact, I know the USPS will not ship a rifle any other way. It's the same for UPS except that they want to inspect the firearm when you drop it off to be sure it is inoperable (bolt is removed) before they'll take it. I believe the assumption here is that it will be permanently residing in the State you sent it to. If it's just for a short hunting trip, I'd say check with the airline you're using and go by their rules and check it as luggage.

Sure is a LOT of misinformation here!

1. It's not that difficult to fly with a firearm, especially from Alabama to Texas......you must use an airline approved case and declare it when you check in.......you will be required to fill out a form that says the rifle is unloaded......that form goes INSIDE the case with the firearm. Check with your airline find out their requirements.......you may be charged an oversize baggage fee.

2. You are NOT required, by law, to remove the bolt to fly with it or to ship it.....that is a myth. I have flown with firearms many times and have never been asked to remove the bolt......

3. It is NOT illegal to include the ammo inside the rifle case when flying......some airlines don't allow it, but it's not illegal.......some airlines want the ammo in the same case as the firearm........the ammo must be in a container that keeps the cartridges separate (no loose ammo in a bag, etc).

4. You are NOT required to use a TSA lock.......in fact, even though many people do it, it's illegal......the law says only the person checking the firearm may have the key!!

5. It is perfectly legal to ship a firearm to yourself, even across state lines, without going through a FFL........UPS and FedEx may want to see a copy of an FFL, but it is NOT required by law. It is legal to mail long guns to yourself........USPS employees are NOT allowed to give "legal advice" about shipping firearms.....in other words, they can't tell you it has to go to an FFL etc......look it up!

GoHuntin has the right info, the last time I shipped the USPS was what I had to use for long guns, FedEx for pistol's. Brown would not ship!!! Check here ([18 U.S.C. 921(a)(32), 922(g)(8) and 925(a)(1)])

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GonHuntin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure is a LOT of misinformation here!

1. It's not that difficult to fly with a firearm, especially from Alabama to Texas......you must use an airline approved case and declare it when you check in.......you will be required to fill out a form that says the rifle is unloaded......that form goes INSIDE the case with the firearm. Check with your airline find out their requirements.......you may be charged an oversize baggage fee.

2. You are NOT required, by law, to remove the bolt to fly with it or to ship it.....that is a myth. I have flown with firearms many times and have never been asked to remove the bolt......

3. It is NOT illegal to include the ammo inside the rifle case when flying......some airlines don't allow it, but it's not illegal.......some airlines want the ammo in the same case as the firearm........the ammo must be in a container that keeps the cartridges separate (no loose ammo in a bag, etc).

4. You are NOT required to use a TSA lock.......in fact, even though many people do it, it's illegal......the law says only the person checking the firearm may have the key!!

5. It is perfectly legal to ship a firearm to yourself, even across state lines, without going through a FFL........UPS and FedEx may want to see a copy of an FFL, but it is NOT required by law. It is legal to mail long guns to yourself........USPS employees are NOT allowed to give "legal advice" about shipping firearms.....in other words, they can't tell you it has to go to an FFL etc......look it up! </div></div> I'm sure this has been researched and I know you can check a rifle with the Airlines as long as you follow the letter of the law and that particular Airline's policies... But, I can tell you from experience that a Post Office can refuse to ship any-old-thing they want, and ALL of the Post Offices in Central Florida that I've tried will refuse to ship a rifle if you do not produce a valid FFL and show them that it's going to the address on that FFL... Even though the official BATF rule is that as long as it is addressed to you, Care-of someone else, it's legal. Apparently, the USPS is not a "Customer is always right" kind of establishment. Sorry for making a blanket statement without explaining! I just figure: "I'm not gonna piss them off"... Even if I'm right!

Apparently, you aren't one to push back........I have had a sit down with the local postmaster more than once.......they are required to follow postal regulations, whether they like it or not. I had a counter person start that "we can't ship guns" crap with me......that didn't fly.......I expect them to know and abide by their own regulations and I'm not afraid to push it up the chain of command when necessary.......I won't allow their ignorance keep me from doing something that is completely legal.......your mileage may vary......

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

USPS Publication 52

432 Mailability

432.1 General

The following conditions apply:
Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
18 U.S.C. 921. </span>The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

The Postal Service may require the mailer to open the parcel or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.
Registered Mail service is recommended.
Unloaded Antique Firearm
Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–8.

433 Mailer Responsibility

<span style="font-weight: bold">Even though certain types of firearms are permitted to be mailed within the provisions of the postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, it is the mailer’s responsibility to comply with all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms.</span>

434 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

<span style="font-weight: bold">Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns.</span> Mailers should be referred to the nearest regional ATF office for further advice (see AFT Online at www.atf.treas.gov).
</div></div>

GonHunting is correct, i had a post office counter worker tell me he wouldn't ship a firearm, I asked to speak to the supervisor and when he got there he said it was no problem. Just made sure I had all the right stuff filled out.

Before shipping a new 700P out for work I called my local Post Office to double check before sending my wife down with the box. Post Master said no problem, we didn't need say it as a firearm, but to be sure to put plenty of insurance on it. They only asked if there was liquids or flammables and if she wanted insurance or anything else.

Off it went to Up In Arms Designs Inc. with no issues.

Either way you do it, make sure you put it in a good case.

I just got back from Oregon and I watched the baggage monkey at DFW THROW my case across the tarmac.

Flying with a rifle is not difficult at all. It's just a little nerve racking.

Mailing a rifle to yourself is also not difficult at all. You must declare it to USPS and you need to ship it FROM yourself TO yourself in care of another individual. The individual who is taking care of the package on the receiving end MAY NOT open it.

Just a heads up too to those looking to mail. I ordered a box from cameronpackaging.com and it worked great. The boxes aren't cheap but they keep the weight down and are pleanty durable for re-use. I didn't want to try and have my wife package it up using the original Remington box and didn't want to be paying for so much extra weight using a hardcase so this was the trick ticket for us.

more of my useless .02¢

http://www.cameronpackaging.com/gun_boxes_custom_fit.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GonHuntin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently, you aren't one to push back........I have had a sit down with the local postmaster more than once.......they are required to follow postal regulations, whether they like it or not. I had a counter person start that "we can't ship guns" crap with me......that didn't fly.......I expect them to know and abide by their own regulations and I'm not afraid to push it up the chain of command when necessary.......I won't allow their ignorance keep me from doing something that is completely legal.......your mileage may vary......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

USPS Publication 52

432 Mailability

432.1 General

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
18 U.S.C. 921. </span>The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

The Postal Service may require the mailer to open the parcel or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.
Unloaded Antique Firearm
Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–8.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Even though certain types of firearms are permitted to be mailed within the provisions of the postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, it is the mailer’s responsibility to comply with all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns.</span> Mailers should be referred to the nearest regional ATF office for further advice (see AFT Online at www.atf.treas.gov).
</div></div>

</div></div>
Gonhuntin, thanks for the clarifications. I have had such bad experiences with USPS that I stopped using them....yes, they don't know their own rules. UPS has been very pleasant and quite cheap via ground. But I've never tried shipping to a non-FFL holder. Guess I'll have to wait and see how that goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GonHuntin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently, you aren't one to push back........I have had a sit down with the local postmaster more than once.......they are required to follow postal regulations, whether they like it or not. I had a counter person start that "we can't ship guns" crap with me......that didn't fly.......I expect them to know and abide by their own regulations and I'm not afraid to push it up the chain of command when necessary.......I won't allow their ignorance keep me from doing something that is completely legal.......your mileage may vary......

USPS Publication 52

432 Mailability

432.1 General

Unloaded Antique Firearm

</div></div></div></div>

There's good shipping information here. Bumped so more folks can get up to speed.

You can take the rifle to a UPS hub and have them ship it or to any store that ships UPS via a daily pick-up account. It is however up to the individual with the pick-up account whether or not he wants to ship your firearm for he is held responsible if something happens during shipping. You cannot ship a firearm from a UPS store. They simply do not and are not allowed to accept them for shipping...Why, I have no idea. The box cannot have anything I.D.ing it as a firearm and must be sent adault sig. req. If it is a handgun you have to notify the driver when he picks it up. Rifles you do not. You are not allowed to ship with ammo in the samebox. If you are shipping a handgun it has to go I beleive, but dont quote me, via next day air. FFL holders can ship to other FFL holders. FFL holders can ship to indiviuals that have a firearms registered in their name. Individuals can ship to an FFL. But at least with UPS, to the best of my knowledge you CANNOT ship the gun to yourself. Hope this helps.

when i was still active i flew from NC to TX because i was about to be deployed and had to check 9 firearms. it was a pain in the ass because every airline has different rules. thankfully i called each and every airline to see which one had rules i could actually abide by (needing so many cases/locks for example)

some airlines require that every weapon be stored in a separate case and some do not. they all have rules requiring how many locks the case must have it seems.

its really easy to do. just make sure to call and ask what the rules are

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smsnipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
.....I did not read the rest of the posts to see if it has been brought up, but it <span style="color: #CC0000">IS</span> required that you remove the bolt before shipping via UPS.....</div></div>

Do you have a reference for that? Does that apply to bolt action rifles only? What about semi autos, lever action, pump action, single shots, etc. I've never seen that one before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-MadDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smsnipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
.....I did not read the rest of the posts to see if it has been brought up, but it <span style="color: #CC0000">IS</span> required that you remove the bolt before shipping via UPS.....</div></div>

Do you have a reference for that? Does that apply to bolt action rifles only? What about semi autos, lever action, pump action, single shots, etc. I've never seen that one before. </div></div>

Sorry buddy, I thought i read that in UPS worldship program we use a while back but it is not that way anymore i guess. Thanks for pointing it out and sorry for the miss info. I changed my original post.