• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping ammunition

Roslyn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
Need a recommendation for a commercial shipping outfit to get 2000 pounds +/- of ammunition from California to New York. Could use UPS but would prefer to do it all in one throw rather than endless packages. Ideally the shipping company would collect it as well. The ammunition is privately owned, and will remain so, this is not a wholesale or retail purchase.

Any suggestions appreciated. Have done a Google search but no bueno.

Reactions: 338dude
Check with FedEx Freight, LTL is probably your best bet.

You might want to look into the New York laws as well. New York like California no longer allows shipping ammo without going through proper channels.

1. create UPS account
2. use the "simple rate" category for shipping. 60lbs. is the limit. This is the only way to ship heavy items within reason, but there is a size limit to the box not just 60# weight limit.
3. ammo must be double boxed if loose, or in the factory boxes, I double box no matter what and use the boxes from wallysmart. Tape well to allow the gorilla handling of the heavy package.
4. print out the triangle hazmat symbol and attach to box. And you must drop at a UPS hub.

I can ship 500rds. of 308 for example for around $28, or #150 50cal. for the same.

Thank you. I am trying to avoid packing 35 boxes of ammunition, each 60 lbs, thus the original question. New York law ambiguous, as usual, on this subject since it is private ownership and not a transaction, but I am looking into whether an FFL needs to be involved. That is the least of the problems. Just getting it to New York is the challenge.

Appreciate the suggestion about Fedex freight, didn't know that even existed.

GMC Ammo Hauler.png

Id love to know when and wear lol just cause that information could be handy :giggle:

Why cant you be particular how you pack it and how you secure it to a pallet and just pay freight??

Reactions: Aftermath
That will be about $3-4K for the truck plus another $1K in gas on the low end, plus hotels/food.
Well, I just moved from Idaho to Okrahoma. I made a few trips using my Dodge and a 20' cargo trailer. My first trip was about 3,500 lbs ammo and about 2,000 lbs shooting iron plus some pounds of related gear.
Well worth the peace of mind knowing that my shit was packed well, loaded well, transported well, offloaded well, and stored well again.
The $ spent in transport was minuscule in comparison to the investment, not to mention the sentimental value attached to several of the items.
YMMV

Thank you. I am trying to avoid packing 35 boxes of ammunition, each 60 lbs, thus the original question. New York law ambiguous, as usual, on this subject since it is private ownership and not a transaction, but I am looking into whether an FFL needs to be involved. That is the least of the problems. Just getting it to New York is the challenge.

Appreciate the suggestion about Fedex freight, didn't know that even existed.
Apologies I misread your original post about the all at once deal but like Byron states above that’s probably going to require some contact with a NY based FFL to be sure. You don’t want to risk that much ammo/$ without knowing for sure. IMO

Well, I just moved from Idaho to Okrahoma. I made a few trips using my Dodge and a 20' cargo trailer. My first trip was about 3,500 lbs ammo and about 2,000 lbs shooting iron plus some pounds of related gear.
Well worth the peace of mind knowing that my shit was packed well, loaded well, transported well, offloaded well, and stored well again.
The $ spent in transport was minuscule in comparison to the investment, not to mention the sentimental value attached to several of the items.
YMMV

The peace of mind comments register with me. I totally get that. And like you I am particular about taking care of it all.

Would like to believe I can find a freight shipper that can provide peace of mind, but so far can't identify a company willing to take it on. That might be me calling the wrong outfits, but you would think the ammunition is literally radioactive, I haven't been able to find a company even willing to discuss rates.

I haven't been through the Dakotas, looking like that may be in my future. I will post up what it costs however this gets sorted out.

Thank you all, really appreciate the suggestions and direct experiences.

'Pods' are your friend......As a matter of fact, I met a guy that moved a Bridgeport from Houston to Syracuse using one. I found it hard to believe, but he seemed sincere.

If it is bulk ammo, and at 2000 lbs, my guess is that it is, maybe consider selling the ammo there and simply replacing it at your destination. You won't avoid paying shipping but you will put the burden on someone who does this for a living.

We’re it my ammo, I’d drive it there myself. Trying to ship it all commercially will be expensive. I used to drive ammo from a Navy ammo depot in Virginia to Cape Hatteras and there are all kinds of rules and regulations about “net explosive weight”, tunnels, certain towns that you can’t drive thru, etc…of course we were not only moving regular small arms ammo but pyro…doing it in the bed of your F150 may violate all kind of regs, but it’ll get there.

when I moved from NC to TX, I packed 500 pounds +/- in my truck, with powder and primers in the cab. Obeyed the laws, and Bob’s your uncle.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
I was stationed overseas and had 700lbs of ammo and equipment in storage. When I got back I did the LTF route to ship from the West Coast to the East Coast. The shipping itself was a bit over $750.00. However the cost of the flight, packing material, food, hotel etc…probably everything out of pocket was no more than $1500. For me it was well worth it since I knew exactly who and how everything was packed.

Reactions: Keith E.
We’re it my ammo, I’d drive it there myself. Trying to ship it all commercially will be expensive. I used to drive ammo from a Navy ammo depot in Virginia to Cape Hatteras and there are all kinds of rules and regulations about “net explosive weight”, tunnels, certain towns that you can’t drive thru, etc…of course we were not only moving regular small arms ammo but pyro…doing it in the bed of your F150 may violate all kind of regs, but it’ll get there.

when I moved from NC to TX, I packed 500 pounds +/- in my truck, with powder and primers in the cab. Obeyed the laws, and Bob’s your uncle.
My wife's employer paid for a move. Everything we owned. I bought a large Knack tool chest, bolted it to the C-10 bed, and filled it with primers, powder, defense ammo, expensive shop fluids, etc. Everything that was on the list of things that the shipper would not move. They did move the truck, with the tool chest. No problem.