• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting 50-213-275-425-500 yards

clayne_b

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Rangewithtable.jpg

Table-1.jpg

Range-1.jpg

50.jpg

213.jpg

275.jpg

500.jpg

I forgot to get a picture of the 425 yard target.... Sorry...

And here is a video of me playing around trying to hit them

Shot with a CZ 452 scout, Tasco 2.5x10-42mm, Peters .22lr Ammo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFPS4r0sZE

Re: Shooting 50-213-275-425-500 yards

Look who stands corrected in a previous thread/Topic.... ME! i had balls enough to call you out, I also have balls enough to admit my stupidity!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brickbd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look who stands corrected in a previous thread/Topic.... ME! i had balls enough to call you out, I also have balls enough to admit my stupidity! </div></div>

Its all good... I made this thread just for you buddy

Well done once again. I am already for 600 tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done once again. I am already fro 600 tomorrow. </div></div>

I look forward to your range report!

I'm going to have to get on this next time I'm home! I've tossed a few .22 rounds to around 300 yards, but nothing serious....that will soon change! It will be a good way to stay busy while the big guns cool.

I've hit steel at 430yds before, with my custom 10/22, but that had a berm behind it, so I could see my shots fall and walk it in. This is good shooting, man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackWhiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done clayne_b. I'm excited to shoot this spot! </div></div>

Thanx, Im ready when you are!

So, shooting at these distances and getting anything considered reliable hits is something else. Obviously. So a couple questions:
-did you dial in elevation or holdover?
-what was your dope?
-did you get any hits past 300?
-how did you spot your hits/misses?
-how big is that 500 yd target? looks huge...
-conditions? DA, wind
-ammo specs (vel, bc)
-scope specs (elevation, have you done any repeatability tests? I never trust anything scope wise costing less than 100 bucks, good for you if it is a good one tho.)

The tasco scope, being a 1" tube, prob only has 40moa usable elevation, but lets say, with a 25moa base, you get an actual dialable of 40 up, which I believe is generous. That will get you to approx 300 yards. the 5 mills elevation (mill dot rect) will get you an extra, roughly, 15 moa. half the scope power, and you might get 30, making ur total at 70 moa, barely enough to reach 400 (my data, I need 73.5 to reach 400. To reach 500, your going to need around 100moa ele (again, my data). this is saying nothing of the consistency of peters ammo (or complete lack therof).

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Just want more details is all</span>. anybody can sling lead at long distances, its only interesting/worthy of note if you can hit it.

Dont get me wrong, I am not calling you out (yet), just want more data and a good convo with another long range 22 shooter. I love slinging my 22 at long ranges, but the farthest I have shot is 400 yards at a 12" steel plate. Like I said, it was 73.5 moa and 11.5 for a quartering wind. BUT I had a nice soft sand berm to spot my misses, you have nothing of the kind. 300yds and in is very doable. Just the 500 in those conditions is very suspect.

I think I am going to try my rifle at 500 this weekend and I will report my findings.

my specs for my shooting:
-rem 40x with 30 moa base
-nf 3.5-15 scope (had almost 100 moa elevation) - sold it to get the new SWFA SS 5-20 so I can hopefully spot my hits at 200 when I do the rimfire comp at top of section. I hate looking through a spotting scope to see where I hit. mounted up the new scope last night.

Regards,
DT

Ok here is some info on my dope, elevation, holdover

50 yards zero is set at TOP mildot

213 yards 9 moa on scope, hold cross hair on target

275 yards 23 moa on scope, hold corss hair on target

425 yards 51.5 moa on scope, hold over 2 mil

500 yards 51.5 moa on scope, hold over 5 mil

"-did you get any hits past 300?"
Yes, I called hits, the camera has trouble picking up the sound from that far off. I am not sure if you seen my video, 8 out of 10 at 500 yards here is a link to that.. Turn your volume up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKG_jI7wc-A

"-how did you spot your hits/misses?"
They way i spot a hit is i hear it. most of the time i can spot the miss in the dirt.

:-how big is that 500 yd target? looks huge.."
30 inches

"-conditions? DA, wind"
Not much wind at all the day i shot this video, I have shot at the 500 yard target holding about 4 feet for wind...

"-ammo specs (vel, bc)"
Peters, I have not shot it threw the chrony yet. I probably wont. CCI sv shoots very good in my gun so i will probably do all those numbers on that and shoot it exclusively

"-scope specs (elevation, have you done any repeatability tests? I never trust anything scope wise costing less than 100 bucks, good for you if it is a good one tho.)"
I have not sat down and done a repeatability test, but i have repeated what i did in the video many times

DT i look forward to your results at 500 yards. I do this for fun and have a LOT of fun doing it. I plan on putting a 12 inch target at 500 yards thats hanging. i think it will be more audible to the camera.

Clayne_b

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done once again. I am already fro 600 tomorrow. </div></div>

How was it?

Damn! Bet it isn't easy getting to where you set up the actual targets. But once there, that's nice to shoot there.

What's your ASL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Radar86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn! Bet it isn't easy getting to where you set up the actual targets. But once there, that's nice to shoot there.

What's your ASL?

</div></div>

Lets just say i have to take my jeep to get there. the car wouldn't make it...

Im sorry what is ASL?

ASL = altitude [above] sea level is what I meant.

Nice job. That knob adjustment sounds like a roulette wheel!

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Radar86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ASL = altitude [above] sea level is what I meant. </div></div>

5009 ft

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done once again. I am already fro 600 tomorrow. </div></div>

How was it? </div></div>

Well....50-400 no problem.500 was inconsistent and 600 was a no-go!

I will start with the equipment and ammo used:
Rifle is a Kidd barreled action sitting in a B&C thumb hole stock. Scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with mildots. Rings are Burris Signature 30mm with offset inserts plus shims Burris gave me for additional elevation that I put between the back insert and the scope. Total of 30 moa offset.

Elevation was at 2500 feet above sea level and the weather was cool at 54 degrees and overcast with the fog from the ocean rolling in. Light wind.

Ammo used was Winchester 33 grain bulk pack @1280 fps.( First time I have never shot any match ammo of any kind in many, many years.)

With a 50 yard zero I had a total of 30 moa for elevation.Looks like I need to put another shim under the scope to get the elevation knob lower which in turn will give me more come ups for increased elevation.

The entire test was done with the Vortex set at the min. magnification of 6.5 power.

Shooting the steel targets from 100-400 yards was not a challenge at all due to having elevation knob all the way way and then using the mildots for holdovers out to 400 yards.

Now for 500 yards...With the elevation maxed out out, we had to
to use 1/2 way down the post for an aiming point. Hits at 500 yards are doable doing this. Not optimal by any means.

So, here comes the 600 yard test.....So data could be given because we were aiming with the very bottom of the scope and could not even see a bullet impact in the dirt at 600 yards.

To further this test, I am going to put another shim under the back of the scope so I can use the bottom mildot for a consistent aiming point and get some faster ammo. Or what might be simpler is to do what you did and zero using the top mildots. That would give me more come ups.

The range. Target is 50 yards, first burm is a 100, the 200, 300, 400. Off to the left is 500 and behind that is 600 yards.
These pictures of the range were taking a while ago. As I said...the weather was cool and cloudy/foggy.
Zoomed in shot.
ASR712-26-080001-1.jpg

Normal view.
ASR112-26-080001-1.jpg

Kidd rifle

kidd111-18-1110001.jpg

Shim

kidd111-18-1120001.jpg

Ammo

kidd111-18-1130001.jpg

Art work

kidd111-18-1140001.jpg

What are you using to shim your scope? I have never had good results with that ammo, Looks like you had fun! thanx for the update

Burris sent these to me. They are a flexible plastic shim that come in .010 and .015 thickness. The only problem with the 30mm rings from Burris is the offsets only come in plus or minus .010. The 1'' comes in .020.

Zeroing with one of the upper mildots would be the simple solution for more elevation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Burris sent these to me. They are a flexible plastic shim that come in .010 and .015 thickness. The only problem with the 30mm rings from Burris is the offsets only come in plus or minus .010. The 1'' comes in .020.

Zeroing with one of the upper mildots would be the simple solution for more elevation. </div></div>

I didnt know they made anything like that for the 30mm my neighbors gun has 30mm rings. will those work with any rings? and how would he go about getting some?

Yes they will work on all rings. Just give Burris a call, they sent them for free.

Clayne,
What is your barrel length and twist for your CZ?

I have two of the Tasco 2.5x10-42 and have had great success out of them for years. One on a custom 10/22 and the other on a Marlin 880SQ both with 20 MOA bases and TPS rings and they have always tracked very well. I recently got a cantilever base for my old Winchester 52 and am looking forward to getting it out and stretching its legs. I put a Tasco 8x32 target dot on it and will have to see how it measures up to longer ranges as it was only used years ago for 50 and 100 yard smallbore silhouette.

Exercising .22 at 400+ is just fun, and with the cost in the pennies per round you might as well send them down range and see what happens. Nice shooting and thank you for taking the time to put this thread together. I recently put my Spikes .22 conversion in my 10.5" work AR and shot three different patrol rifle qualification courses with it scoring in the high 90's most of the impacts were in the A zone at that on two, and I shot an 88 on the NRA patrol rifle qual (my kneeling sucked as my front foot slipped into a crack in the ground and I dropped 6 in the pelvic girdle in the black) all this to say the .22 is certainly more capable than we give it credit for.

You don't know if you'll hit the target unless you pull the trigger.

What have others found to be some good .22 rounds for LR at a price point of the bulk packs? I am trying some CCI Blazer 40gr HV this week to see what I can get done.

It is 16.2 inches long

What cantilever base base did you get? and can you tell me more about it? I have been entertaining the idea of getting one of these....

Here is the base I bought:

EGW base for Winchester Model 52

I got the 20 MOA base to get me a little more for dialing the distance.

Here are a couple of pictures, Ill have to get some target photos this week while I'm off.

10znv6g.jpg

2hnm3gg.jpg

I had always wanted to get a Unertl 10X with external adjustment and use the dovetail blocks on the barrel but just couldn't spend the money for nostalgia sake. The EGW base bolts up solid to the rear mounting block holes and gave me just enough clearence to leave my iron sights on the rear.

It is an interesting idea but my concerns are way too many parts and the biggest concern being that it really gets the sight height way above where I believe it would be comfortable for me. I did the same thing you did with zeroing my top dot at 50 and then worked from there with a 20 MOA base I need to actually work the dope out to 500 and write it down to make a dope card. Do you know anyone running one of those variable bases?

No, but i would love to demo one for them.... im cheap... why do you think i have a tasco scope. ha ha

Me and my son ran the VGM mounts on our long range pistols for the 2010 season at the local 1000 yard matches. The pistol scopes we used didn't have near enough travel and they worked great. Takes a bit to set them up but no problem after that and very repeatable after getting your settings. Some views of the mount and shooting the gun at the farther targets are in the video links below.

I'm putting one of them on my 541-S 22 rimfire now for next season and with the 120moa of adjustment we're anxious to see how it does out to 500 and beyond since we've had to resort to holdover with the present setup.

I have one also on my Freedom Arms 10" 44mag revolver and on calm days 500 yards is pretty consistant on a fullsize IPSC target so the mount does work and is very reliable. Yes it is a bit taller than some like but we've had no problem using them on anything we've stuck them on. I have a new stainless version coming for this gun and plan on making a video of setting it up on the revolver and also setting the elevation adjustments. If the weather holds out hope to do it still before bad weather sets in.

Topstrap

No problem, it's nice to see others stretching out the lil 22. We've been launching that lil thing way out there a long time and people just look at you like you're nuts when you tell them how far you shoot with a 22. Most people really underestimate them and how far they can shoot accurately. Really enjoyed your videos, I'll try to get more this summer since I think a couple of the local long distance ranges (Rayners Range and Thunder Valley are both thinking about adding a long distance 22 match to their schedule. Really be fun having something out to 500 or even a bit further to give us something else to work on.

Fun when you are at a range where no one knows you and you pop our your little 22 and start hitting stuff others are shooting at with their centerfire guns. My lil Browning 5 1/2" Buckmark with a 2 power pistol scope is sighted in at 225 yards and amazes me how well it shoots. I'm sure you gets lots of "BS, can't be done.... impossible to hit things that far away with that" Lots of times the crosshairs cover up the target we're shooting at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpm9ZwUcpE

Keep it up, can't wait to see more video of you and others hitting that far steel with your 22.

Topstrap

Topstrap,

I have seen all of your videos... I didn't realize it was you, Yeah i believe in the VGM after watching your videos...

That was my son Chris, he was shooting my old 7-08 XP with sporter weight barrel and no brake. Lots of movement but he uses a light but very consistant hold. It looks like it really kicks but really was pleasant to shoot and we found it shot much better that way instead of trying to muscle it.

I'm the old geezer in the white T-shirt with the other XP in the video at a match. Chris down Miracle Machine Works (VGM mount)is a great fella. He's always happy to talk to others about the mount and how they work. If you ever pass thru Ohio let us know and we'll plan to visit the range and let you try out the mounts on our guns.

Topstrap

Shooter65, why are you planning to go to a faster load. Faster in a 22lr will mean lighter and ultimately you will be shooting yourself in the foot so to speak. I have not shot beyond 240y yet but so far the standard velocity match ammo has held up better with better balistics than any of the faster lighter stuff at that range for me at least. If you run the numbers I think you will find the 40gr standard vel stuff will ultimately hold up better at longer distance. Just a little friendly advice.

Armor8... Just gonna experiment with many different kinds of ammo.

Wanted to add that Chris at Miracle Machine Works can easily modify the VGM mount for WAY more elevation adjustment if needed. 120 is just how they come standard. The 5 position mount goes right on top of your weaver base but he also has a 10 position unit that mounts directly to the receiver which makes it sit slightly lower and he can make it fit nearly any action.

He also has been experimenting with mounting a video camera on the VGM base. This past summer they put one on a rifle and by standing behind a totally blind shooter they told him up, down, left or right to get the dot on the camera lens on target and they told him to squeeze. He hit 5 for 5 steel plates at 600 yards at one match. He's also added them to shooters losing their sight but can still see a small monitor. Just thought a visit to his website shows he is very creative for coming up with things for the shooting sports.

http://vgmount.com/

Just talked to him today and he said he has been able to get up to 374moa of elevation adjustment for a customer. Does take tall rings since the front of the scope is angled down so low it might hit the barrel when that much elevation was added on the mount. That should be more than enough for any situation
smile.gif

Topstrap

I was just wondering what my drop actually is at 500 yards here is what i came up with from my 50 yard zero out to 500 yards . I hold 10 mil so thats 180 inches, and adjust 51.5 moa so thats 257.5 inches, = 437.5 inches = 36.45 feet, giver or take... so that's 87.5 moa right?

Heading back to the range tomorrow for more testing. Discovered today that I did not have the 30mm offsets rings ( + /- .010) on this scope! They were on the scope that is on my Win. 52. Made the switch and put the spacers in also. Now I have a 30 moa offset.

Results should be much better now.

For the record...A Pringles top is .015 thick if anyone is looking for a plastic shim for the rear of the scope for more elevation.

AMAZING! especially with Winchester 333 bulk pack! I wish I could shoot like that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done once again. I am already fro 600 tomorrow. </div></div>

How was it? </div></div>

Well....50-400 no problem.500 was inconsistent and 600 was a no-go!

I will start with the equipment and ammo used:
Rifle is a Kidd barreled action sitting in a B&C thumb hole stock. Scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with mildots. Rings are Burris Signature 30mm with offset inserts plus shims Burris gave me for additional elevation that I put between the back insert and the scope. Total of 30 moa offset.

Elevation was at 2500 feet above sea level and the weather was cool at 54 degrees and overcast with the fog from the ocean rolling in. Light wind.

Ammo used was Winchester 33 grain bulk pack @1280 fps.( First time I have never shot any match ammo of any kind in many, many years.)

With a 50 yard zero I had a total of 30 moa for elevation.Looks like I need to put another shim under the scope to get the elevation knob lower which in turn will give me more come ups for increased elevation.

The entire test was done with the Vortex set at the min. magnification of 6.5 power.

Shooting the steel targets from 100-400 yards was not a challenge at all due to having elevation knob all the way way and then using the mildots for holdovers out to 400 yards.

Now for 500 yards...With the elevation maxed out out, we had to
to use 1/2 way down the post for an aiming point. Hits at 500 yards are doable doing this. Not optimal by any means.

So, here comes the 600 yard test.....So data could be given because we were aiming with the very bottom of the scope and could not even see a bullet impact in the dirt at 600 yards.

To further this test, I am going to put another shim under the back of the scope so I can use the bottom mildot for a consistent aiming point and get some faster ammo. Or what might be simpler is to do what you did and zero using the top mildots. That would give me more come ups.

The range. Target is 50 yards, first burm is a 100, the 200, 300, 400. Off to the left is 500 and behind that is 600 yards.
These pictures of the range were taking a while ago. As I said...the weather was cool and cloudy/foggy.
Zoomed in shot.
ASR712-26-080001-1.jpg

Normal view.
ASR112-26-080001-1.jpg

Kidd rifle

kidd111-18-1110001.jpg

Shim

kidd111-18-1120001.jpg

Ammo

kidd111-18-1130001.jpg

Art work

kidd111-18-1140001.jpg

</div></div>

Shooter65,

I have not had very good results with that ammo either. I would suggest if your going to shoot bulk ammo try a 40gr solid