• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting corrossive ammo and cleaning?

DlAM0ND

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
NC USA,
Hey Everyone, I was just wondering what different methods you all use to clean your gun after shooting corrosive ammo? And how long it would take for corrosive ammo to effect your gun. Also is there any pros or cons in using it?

Re: Shooting corrossive ammo and cleaning?

What rifle ? Precision rifle,AK,Garand. I would not use corrosive ammo in a precision bolt gun. If your crazy enough to do it you better clean it the same day because it will look like a sewer pipe if you don't.

If it's a Garand your going to have to strip it down and clean everything if it's an AK don't bother
grin.gif

I've used a cleaner especially made for corrosive ammo and I've also used amonia and water. Both work equally good, or did for me. You basically just clean it like a black powder rifle. Afterwards I run a few patches thru it like I would any rifle with regular bore cleaner. I've never let mine sit long enough to find out how long before it starts rusting so I can't answer that. Gas guns need to be broken down and cleaned. I would clean it the same whether I fired 1 round or 100.
My .02

There are numerous different, but all effective, methods for cleaning a firearm after its had corrosive ammo run through it. Personally, I generally use hot (I MEAN HOOOOTTTT), soapy water for scrubbing all the salts/crap out. Others use Windex (yes...the window cleaning solution). There are also different varieties of commercially available "solvents"/"cleaners" meant to deal specifically with cleaning a firearm after shooting corrosive ammo, but like I said...really hot, soapy water has always work well for me. After the barrel/internals are clean and free from crap, I usually run plenty of patches down the bore until its dry, dry out the action, etc. Then, if necessary, you can clean the barrel with solvents, etc. to remove any carbon build-up/copper fouling, etc. Make sure you put a good coat of oil (whatever your particular brand of poison might be), including running an oiled patch down the tube, before stowing it away and a dry patch down the bore before shooting again.

As for how long it can take to effect your gun...like everything else...it depends. Some ammos are more corrosive than others, plus the environmental conditions play a role, plus the kind of firearm, etc., etc., etc. I wouldn't personally wait too long to clean any firearm that has been used with corrosive ammo (i.e. - the sooner...the better), and I sure as hell wouldn't be running that crap in any "precision" rifle I own. There are far too many cheap "practice" round alternatives on the market these days to waste time with most corrosive ammo.

ORD is right...you are just dissolving the Potassium Chlorate salts left from the priming compound of the ammo. Those salts are hygroscopic and will rust the steel. The US Military used corrosive primers in their small arms ammo up until sometime in 1954. The chlorate primers were more reliable in their opinion. However, the US Carbine never used the corrosive primers. Some 3rd world countries still load them...if you doubt the primers, do as ORD says and you'll save your barrel.

I have always used boiling hot water with corrosive ammo, stick the muzzle in the water and run a rod with a patch up and down it will act like a pump and clean all the salts out. barrel is hot now and the water will evaporate very quick. now clean with solvent and oil it down, you will be good. I do this with my Brit MK1 when i shoot the Paki stuff and my Muzzle loaders. no problem.

I should add This is somthing I learned from my Uncle, he told my it was how they cleaned their M1903's in WW2.

I shoot corrosive ammo through my PSL. My cleaning method is to pull it apart and spray everything with windex. Then hose it all off with a garden hose, wipe dry and sometimes blowdry, clean the bore with butches boreshine, spray everything with a light coat of CLP or Rem oil and reassemble. It has worked great so far with no sign of rust or corrosion.

For muzzleloaders with much less parts to clean up I just clean them with the TC cleaner and have never had a issue with any of them. Nowadays I shoot blackhorn 209 though and its the same cleaning regimate/process as normal powder.

the easiest way, i found, of cleaning my guns after using corrosive ammo is to spray them with Outers foam bore cleaner, let them sit for a half hour, wipe it off and put them away. if cleaned within 24hours of shooting there is no rust problem

Soap & water for the simple answer followed by your favorite liquid to displace any remaining water or moisture. Boiling or hot water only speeds up the drying cycle. The main point is to use a liquid to dissolve the corrosive salt then clean normally.

Balistol is pretty damn good stuff and I like it a lot better than Windex especially if your out in the field.

http://tinyurl.com/4juc4jk

How fast something starts to rust depends on how much available moisture is present. If its 70% relative humidity then corrosion starts faster than if your in Az, or Nevada with single digit humidity. Either place I would wet patch it when finished shooting.

The most corrosive ammo I have used is the Czech silver tip 7.62 X 54R or my 45-90 cartridge BP loads. Both clean up easily with plain old soap & water or Balistol.

Simple green followed up by ballistol.

Used after I shot up the last of my corrosive stuff for my Garand, and use it in all my muzzleloaders.

Good stuff. Takes real black powder residue out quick and easy.

There are a lot of ways to clean a weapon after the use of corrosive ammo, I'm sure all those given here work real well. The comment I want to make is, corrosive ammo isn't the end of the world-won't destroy your rifle, shouldn't be hauled off to toxic waste dump etc. Look at all the Great Weapons around-1903s/98s/etc, all they ever fired was corrosive ammo in their day! Plenty of Corrosive ammo used in WWII-those old Garnands, many are still shooting strong-not to mention a couple of old 1911's. Be aware you need to clean that day, clean it well, don't spare the oil and enjoy. An interesting thing-the new Chicom rifle uses a "mildly" corrosive round, the intel report didn't specify the source, but one assumes it is due to the primer type.

ah thanks all im shoots a mosin so ya know, so fars ive been using amonia, but my dumb*** tends to let my gun sit a day or two before doing it so thanks for the info! much appreciated

Ballistol is the way to go. It can actually be mixed with water and it will not seperate. I take a spray bottle to the range with a mixture of 1 part ballistol to 10 parts water(the proper mix is on the bottle) and spray the gun down at the range. That way the water helps to remove the heaviest salts and the ballistol oil comes right over top to help protect the metal from corrosion. I then wipe off the excess.

When I get home I use really hot soapy water. Once she air dries a while more ballistol for storage.

I think the Balistol & water mix is sometimes called "moose milk" and it does work well. I am always reluctant to try new things or reinvent the wheel but Balistol is unlike anything else (that I have used before).

I think you pretty much have your choice. Anything from boiling water to soapy water to household cleaners to serious industrial cleaners.

For a Mosin, I wouldn't get crazy. When I shoot mine it's just simple green in hot water then solvent then oil. I consider the Mosin the AK of bolt guns. They're not a precision weapon and they just keep truckin.

When I had my Polish Tantal I cleaned it right after I got home from the range anytime I shot surplus 5.45 through it. The method I used was...

-hot, soapy water
-windex
-WD40
-then a normal cleaning (rod or boresnake, oil, etc)

I have a friend that shot some corrosive ammo through his once and didn't clean it for a few days. He said he won't do that again. "Huge pain in the ass" I believe were his exact words.