• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting glove - What do you recommend?

Leaddog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2009
Delaware
I shoot mostly all year. Sweat in the summer and cold and wet during the winter. I have an A5 stock and would like a shooting hand glove only. I'd like a thin one with the fingers cutout with a good grip on a wet, slippery stock.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Shooting glove - What do you recommend?

I think the notion that you need the fingers cut out to shoot a precision rifle is flawed.

My experience has been that if I have enough tactile sensation to tell <span style="font-style: italic">where</span> my finger is on the trigger, that's enough to fire the rifle precisely.

Now, really thick gloves might be a problem when it comes to reloading by feel - but not for shooting.

I'm fine with nomex aircrew gloves even for reloading.

I like a thin kevlar glove with rubber palm, can finger 4d nails and they last for months

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the notion that you need the fingers cut out to shoot a precision rifle is flawed.

My experience has been that if I have enough tactile sensation to tell <span style="font-style: italic">where</span> my finger is on the trigger, that's enough to fire the rifle precisely.

Now, really thick gloves might be a problem when it comes to reloading by feel - but not for shooting.

I'm fine with nomex aircrew gloves even for reloading.
</div></div>

I only need a glove to better grip the stock when conditions are wet. I prefer to shoot with no gloves, so just looking for a couple of ideas. The fingers/no fingers thing is a non issue for me.

Bob Alan makes a set for Trap shooting that work great for me. Very thin, yet warm, keeps your hands from slipping even if your sweating, and still thin enough feel the trigger.

Only come in black I believe, the Velcro stretch strap across your wrist is quick on/off.

i use the underarmor glove liners all year long. in the cold they keep my hands warm, adn in the warm they keep my hand from getting burned on the barrel of my shotgun. they have a little bit of rubber on the palms, and are incredibly thin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like a thin one with the fingers cutout with a good grip on a wet, <span style="font-weight: bold">slippery stock</span>.</div></div>

Skate Tape......Problem solved.

Sure it doesn't look as cool as a glove with the fingers cut out but it works, is pretty hard to loose and it's always there.

I use Craftsman "Framers Gloves". I got them a size smaller so they are a tight fit. Both gloves have the thumb and booger hook cut and its nicely stitched so it doesnt fray. In the winter I will use one of my duty full fingered gloves for my support hand so those finger tips wont freeze...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hatch Elite Marksman</span> gloves fit like a second skin. High tactile feedback, excellent grip, lightweight, and breathable. I am able to comfortably wear the gloves non-stop during an entire range day.

Manufacturer's description:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] The palms are made of ultra thin leather with "second-skin" thin cut allowing maximum dexterity and tactility[*] For positive weapon control, the cradle areas feature our Extreme-Grip non-skid material[*] Breathable Dynamic-Extreme fabric backs provide a snug fit[*] Hook and loop closure on the top of the hands ensure a custom fit[*] Hatch Signature Ergo-Cut for the ultimate fit[/list]

I use 5.11 tac-NFO flight gloves. They fit nice and tight, I barely notice they are on at times.
glove-5-593040.jpg

+1 to the Hatch gloves. I've used both the Elite Marksman & the Patrolman, both like a second skin. Pick something from the garden center and you lose the tactile feel of something made to do a specific job. Obviously personal preference, but I like'm.

I am not much of a glove wearer but when I do its just a pair of plain Mechanix gloves you can buy anywhere for $20.

And now for someting completely different: http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/zero-restriction-rain-gloves.html

There are a couple of mfgs of these things, and man they are incredible. ACTUALLY grip better when wet! Foot-Joy makes good ones, and these Zero are worn by tour pros often. Thin, usually black in color, and make good all around lightweight gloves--pretty cheap too, the Zero's are the Cadillac, and top of the price heap typically, but I think they have a ballmarker on them--the write up on this link says they do--FJ's and others are less--I like the Nikes--no ball marker on them I know, don't think FJ;s do either--having a ball marker on your glove is gay--even for golfers....

I just use cheap (around 1.5-2.5 euro per pair) mechanics gloves which are made of thin leather and have nylon fabric on the backside. A size or a half smaller than usual, for tight fit like mcimma said.

When they get wet (and the leather gets stiff when it dries out) I just change to new ones (carry several for shooting/hunting trips) and use the old ones while repairing my car etc.

Depending on weather I use either padded gloves or mittens on top of mechanics gloves when possible. It really helps that your bare skin is not exposed at any time. During summer I don't use any gloves most of the time.

I agree with Steve Aryan, I really like under armour black out gloves. The wear out quick though. Any excessive climbing on rough surfaces, a couple of short fastropes or anything other then just basic IMT or stalking type activities and they are shredded. But the dexterity and weapon handling in them are awesome.
When it doubt good old fashioned nomex flight gloves always come through.

Weight lifting/Training gloves also work well. Made for non slip gripping, fingerless, not too restrictive. I used them when I first started shooting High Power because it was what I had.

200024290.jpg

I too have and use Harbinger Weight lifting gloves with the wrist wrap. However mine are all leather tan and black and bought them from Golds Gym. After two wrist opertions with screws and bone graf they really help after an hour and a half of 45 acp or other. May as well use them because I cant lift anymore. The cut out fingers are great too !

I have a pair of Service issued black leather gloves that I cut the trigger finger at the first knuckle, not off all the way, just halfway round so that I can pop my finger out and pull it back down my finger a hair. Never had better. Even wet, the leather stays grippy.

Mechanix gloves durable and cheap i think i got a pair off amazon for 8 bucks shipped....best 8 bucks i have spent. I use them for hunting and shooting its not to thick but just enough to give you a little more warmth

I do not usually endorse Blackhawk, but a pair of their "fury commando" gloves have lasted me 2 deployments. They are fairly thin, give good tactile sensation, and very robust. They are semi-elastic and form fitting. I have done everything from rig demo to write notes to provide first aid with them, and never had to take them off to complete a task. They are a tad thin in the winter months, but nothing unbearable.

link