• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Gloves for Hunting in Cold, Wet, Windy Shitstorms?

MtnGhost

BOfH
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
Looking for recommendations on a new set of gloves for hunting in nasty cold / wet weather. I need a new setup that is either thin enough to feel the trigger or something that I can peel back on the trigger finger to take a shot. My circulation has been terrible this past couple of winters, so I'm hoping someone can provide me with recommendations for gloves that work well in the ~20-35F range.

I REALLY wish that these Outdoor Research gloves that I have were just a tad thinner. Their great at keeping my hands dry, and lined with Aerogel insulation (which they're calling Primaloft Gold). Warmest gloves that I have ever owned for mountaineering, but I just can't get a positive feel for my triggers wearing them (and they're a pain to get on and off in wet weather). I'm looking at Sealskinz, a few different Sitka gloves, and possibly Under Armor.

I would appreciate any advice!

Reactions: rady
Mechanics makes a fleece lined they’re bad ass in the wind haven’t gotten wet in them yet. Or original mechanics if you’re the man...

Reactions: MtnGhost
Wear the absolute warmest gloves you can afford and stand to wear. Pull the fucking things off when you see action about to happen. If you can't handle the cold for that long, stop hunting in cold weather. Oh, and have your man card revoked.

It isn't just the cold, he specifically mentions wet cold. Having been stationed in W Washington i can tell you that gloves are a necessity for some ops. The Glacier Gloves for duck hunting are the best I have ever used, and I have been issued a complete Outdoor Research cold weather glove kit which probably cost around 1K.

Wear the absolute warmest gloves you can afford and stand to wear. Pull the fucking things off when you see action about to happen. If you can't handle the cold for that long, stop hunting in cold weather. Oh, and have your man card revoked.
I've hunted in cold enough temps that my fingers would start to turn blue within a few minutes of removing my gloves while waiting on a shot.

Have you thought about trying a thin wool liner glove then wearing a mitten over the top? The mitts that fold back so your fingers are exposed? It definitely worth a try, I haven't done it in the wet cold you're talking about but late season extreme cold stuff, it works great.

I have set Dakine waterproof gloves. They are thin enough to feel a 12 oz trigger, but waterproof. Mildly lame to use, but leaps and bounds above the no glove or bulky. If it is below freezing your glove options open up alot, just in that 33 degree range and raining sideways that sucks. Most gloves do not take the water. These have been great so far.

Wear a 5-7 mil black nitrile grove under the heavy duty hunting glove of your choosing. It’s a trick I learned from the old farmers in my area. Looks a little goofy but very effective at taking the edge off the cold. Plus you’re ready to go once you make the kill.

Under Armour makes a skin tight spandex glove that works the same way if you want to be more trendy.

A couple hand warmers in your coat pocket works well too to keep your trigger finger warm while waiting for the shot.

Thanks for bring this up. Been wanting gloves along these lines. Guess I'll have to have my "man card" revoked also..........Gotta love these internet tough guys with their valuable insights.

rady, It was a Friday night. They probably got drunk and accidentally stumbled their way out of the Bear Pit.

I'm curious to see what people are using. Getting frostbite once has the permanent effect of increased sensitivity to cold. You take care of your hands and feet. Its simple.

MtnGhost is this along the lines of what you are looking for?

biathlon-22.jpg

They run in the $150-$200 range from what I can tell, but I've never used them.

It isn't just the cold, he specifically mentions wet cold. Having been stationed in W Washington i can tell you that gloves are a necessity for some ops. The Glacier Gloves for duck hunting are the best I have ever used, and I have been issued a complete Outdoor Research cold weather glove kit which probably cost around 1K.
I too have Glacier Perfect Curve neoprene gloves for setting out a duck rig here in Maryland.

But, I think they are well too thick and bulky to use on a trigger hand....just my thought, nothing more.

I do have The Gun Glove which I have used for years shooting skeet in cold weather and I just took them on a quail hunt where it was a bit breezy and cold. They are GREAT gloves. I use the summer weight ones almost always.

Waterproof....no, but perhaps water resistant unless you are in a down pour.

First, thank you for all of the feedback! (minus that man card crap.. that mentality is what gets people killed in the alpine).

Great idea with those biathalon type gloves! They'd probably be engineered just right for cold / wet weather shooting. I'd spend twice that if I had to, you can't put a value on protecting your hands.

Same goes for duck hunting gloves. I never had a dry duck hunting trip, so I figure that would be another good keyword in finding good options.

I tried using nitrile gloves under a pair of Gore Windstopper gloves that have a decent amount of insulation. They definitely work well to keep the hands insulated from cold moisture, but I could never get used to the feel nitrile / latex gloves. I don't know what it is, but it's like the nails on a chalkboard thing (which doesn't bother me LOL, go figure).

I tried using wool liners again a few seasons back, and found that I was having to take off my gloves every 10 minutes or so. I don't know what it was, but I could never get my hands at a comfortable temperature. They were either freezing or on fire, similar with pure wool skull caps. I use other wool base layers without any problems, even if I sweat a lot (whereas synthetic turns ice cold the minute that I stop traversing terrain).

I'm using fleece lined gloves right now, but the outer material isn't great with water resistance. I treated them with some good DWR that I use with the rest of my outer gear, but they're too porous I guess, and get saturated with cold moisture after a while. They get extremely cold as a result, and they're tough to put back on when my hands are wet and freezing.

I'm looking at a couple of other gloves that might work. For below 20F, Sitka has some that are mittens that fold back to free up the trigger finger. I've had a set of their windstopper gloves for 3 seasons now, they're just too thick to shoot with.

Anyone tried gloves from First Lite?

376B736C-505C-4A97-8A49-9CBE27E089D1.jpg

Hunted in these last night for the first time and was quite pleased with them. Hunted from 7:00pm to 3:00am windchills -10 to -30. Mittens were warm enough and when flipped back the gloves were thin enough to use the controls on my call, buttons on my scope, and had no problem with trigger feel.

Reactions: DIBBS and MtnGhost
During cold and dry weather, you can use the disposable handwarmers. Get a couple going then place them under the glove on the back of your hand. I keep an extra set in my jacket pockets and rotate them with the set in my gloves. Only problem is they quit working when wet. Wet weather I just go to the neoprene gloves.

Manzella windstopper.
Use mittens in between strings/stages.

$35.

have used them for years and they work dandy. Now they have touch tech so you can mess with your ballistics app without a stylus.

What kind of hunting are you doing? Mostly mobile or sitting in one place?

I hunt coyotes all thru the winter in Canada and my sits are often over an hour in -20 degrees celcius. I usually run a ski/snowboard glove or mitt with an air activated hand warmer in each one. Sit and stay warm until its time to shoot, rip the glove off, make the shot and put the glove back on.

Thanks for bring this up. Been wanting gloves along these lines. Guess I'll have to have my "man card" revoked also..........Gotta love these internet tough guys with their valuable insights.
A lot of people attach their masculinity to willfully being miserable for no good reason. It's the same with rifle recoil. Then you see them at the range and most of them have flinches they don't even know about.

When I used to run boats off shore in wet/cold conditions, I would wear neoprene arm sleeves. My hands stayed warmer and I didn't have to deal with extra heavy clothing which would cause body overheating. Just a thought.

it' was -13f when i took this pic today.

wind chill or 32 below.

can i keep my man card?
6BCF216D-A042-4BD1-8AC0-A547D26F1F2C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: rady
Cool.

You look pretty dry and not experiencing much wind chill. Go jump in a nearby pond and run around for a couple of hours then and let us know how it went.

The original OP stated he had a problem with windy wet conditions between 20-35 degrees exacerbated by poor circulation. He has a specific problem that your not helping to solve.

Cold eats your hands. Dexterity suffers. Keeping them dry goes a long way. Then out of the wind. Sub zero sucks, but so does 34 deg f, raining heavy, and wind. Don't run a light trigger (sub 12-16oz) and get good gloves. Ideally ones you can maintain positive control on your weapon and feel your trigger.

you can read wind through a pic?

that's pretty cool. i'm out
EFEF7C3A-04A1-4A8D-A294-B1694CB4E514.jpeg

op just busting ur balls.

wear two layers. cotton and something impervious on the exterior. then change out the cottons

8 years on the deck in the gulf of alaska/bering

5 on a rig floor in nodak

mighta worn gloves when it's cold

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Cold is different in different places. That's not just due to the "norm" but to other factors. At 20F, I would walk around in Alaska without even wearing a jacket. A nice wool sweater and some liner gloves was plenty. At 20F in Georgia, it's cold and miserable. That's mostly a product of humidity, but I'm not certain that humidity is the only factor.

Due to changing conditions, there is no magic pair of gloves that will be good for every scenario. When it got really cold in Alaska, my go-to solution was a pair of Black Diamond Absolute Mitts. They had an outer mitten shell that was ridiculously warm, and an inner liner that had a separated index (trigger) finger. With both the liner and shell, my hands would actually sweat at -10F. But they were the only thing that worked at -40F. I heartily endorse them, but only for very cold and dry conditions.

For very wet conditions, I've got some Patagonia kayaking gloves made from neoprene. In dry conditions, they aren't really amazing, but they are fair. Their dexterity leaves a lot to be desired, but they'll work okay to run an AR; maybe not so much a precision rifle.

For really cold conditions, I'm not sure it's possible to find a glove or mitten that is sufficiently warm to keep your hands nimble and simultaneously thin enough to allow sufficient dexterity to shoot. In true cold, I expect to have to shed a layer before shooting. So the essential gear I look for is a loop of paracord to tie off the glove or mitten, so that it doesn't disappear if I pull it off too quickly.

What style of hunting are you doing? Stationary with a short hike in, glassing after a big vertical gain, etc. Maybe I missed that in the original post, but just saw cold and wet conditions

If you already have circulation issues or Reynauds Syndrome you should stay away from any glove or liner that is any way compressive, even slightly. I some folks, compression shuts down capillary blood flow... Particularly something like a survival glove.
Biathletes can get away with a thin glove because they're working out at high/extreme levels an actually have issues shedding heat.
I use a fleece glove in a waterproof mitten that has a folding finger cover flap. I've put a thin layer of RTV silicone sealant on the trigger finger tip of the liner to improve trigger feel.
Keep you hands dry and your core warm.
If you've got Reynauds look up the forearm trigger point /pressure point manipulation techniques... They work for most folks.

Last edited:
I'm out hunting quite a bit in that kinda weather up here in BC in the fall. Cold and wet is so much harder to deal with than just cold or wet. I tend to wear a medium thickness pair of merino gloves while moving (think running gloves?), they get wet but stay warm enough. When I stop to setup and glass I'll normally setup a tripod with binos on it so I can move it around with my face and I switch into a dry set of gloves that I keep in my pockets with handwarmers, normally the same thickness as when moving on my left hand but a thin merino glove liner on my right, sometimes with a thicker glove with the index cut off on over top. I keep my hands in my pockets as much as possible and put the wet gloves in a different pocket close to my skin so they'll dry out. I find merino is the only material that really works for that weather as it retains heat even when wet. Trying to stay dry just really doesn't work.

I have a pair of Sitka gloves & 2 pairs of Kuiu. One for wearing by themselves & a size up pair to wear over the Kuiu fleece liner gloves. I've been good with the Sitka down to about 15-20* & I wear the layers when it's colder.

I fly fish all winter long, use neoprene gloves that have fingertips exposed for tying knots and flip over mitts when dexterity isn’t required. Spend about 8 hours on the river with them and hands are regularly exposed to water (imagine that). I would think the same style gloves would be fine for breaking a shot since the pad of the index finger is exposed.

Don’t underestimate the value of big ass handwarmer. I use one to get away with smaller gloves.

I was real close to ordering those online, but I stopped by Cabela's today and they actually had them in the store (even had them in my size). They were VERY comfortable, very well insulated, but they felt like a thick, soft fleece with very little zero water resistance. I think they would ok in light snow, but I could definitely tell that they would get saturated after a short while.

I scanned around the store for a while and hit the jackpot. Found their last pair of these Drake Gortex insulated gloves in my size stashed behind some other stuff. The lightest trigger that I have is a single stage trigger on a custom PCP airgun lol, but I'll be damned if I couldn't feel the break (just barely). All of my other triggers are mostly long first-stage with a heavy second stage, so they should work fine.

If you're looking at getting these, go a size up. They run a tad bit small, but they constructed them in a way where the material around the trigger finger is narrower. Only complaint is they didn't come with a clasp to keep them together, but they were cool enough add some eyelets in some of the leather material and I just added my own clasp tied on with thin Dyneema cord (with loops so I can hook them to the end of my jacket sleeves).

050700F5-A4A9-4891-80FB-90A460EB94A8.jpeg
D01C27D4-767D-4B41-8808-F3FE3BB1B19F.jpeg

Reactions: RGStory
207E48E3-D6C8-4AD9-A601-C36871301523.png

I snagged me a pair of these and really like em. Keeps the fingers dry and warm while still being able to use a touch screen. No issues with dexterity either, which was exactly what I was looking for in a winter glove.

This time of year I run the thinnest heated glove that OR makes. I don't remember the name, but my hands get cold fast, and those things are awesome. They're expensive, but worth every penny.

Just thin enough for me to get a good feel on my triggers and the heaters really put out.

If those are too thick, I've used a thinner glove with those chemical handwarmers, but they don't work as well. Might also consider an oversize mitt that's easy to strip off quickly when it's time to shoot.

I like these when it gets cold out. They stay soft for shooting so you can feel your trigger still.

they aren’t puffy and they don’t have to much grip texture that it gets hard to bend or move. I’m no wuss I just like having the dexterity. They work for outside in below -10F. But after that you should question why are you out in the frickin cold. I’m in northern Wisconsin it gets cold but not as cold as the interior of Alaska.

I fly fish all winter long, use neoprene gloves that have fingertips exposed for tying knots and flip over mitts when dexterity isn’t required. Spend about 8 hours on the river with them and hands are regularly exposed to water (imagine that). I would think the same style gloves would be fine for breaking a shot since the pad of the index finger is exposed.
I also fly fish a lot and use similar gloves in the winter. Seems like they would work well. I have an old pair of Mountain Hardware ice climbing gloves that I’ve used for a lot of winter activities, including shooting, where I need good grip and dexterity.

I use the MTO50's w/ a merino wool liner. They are easy enough to flip off when i need to shoot (if i have the time), and they arent so thick that i cant shoot with them on.

Been calling in single digits the last few days here in KS With a 5-12 mph wind.
I shoot a Ruger 77/22 Hornet and a run the remote . I use mittens with flip open fingers , magnets are best on flip part If Velcro is all you can find you gotta wear it out quick so it's a quiet. A hand warmed in pocket too . I just can't shoot with a glove , gun in tri pod and fingers exposed to shoot but I put right hand in my vest pocket which is close to height of my trigger so little movement is needed to go to the trigger quick .

Oh and if it's really cold buy a second set of those flip open finger mittens only bigger , wear a thin glove like those brown cotton jerseys inside the mitten , cut out the trigger finger st first knuckle

Last edited:
I like these; how accurate was the sizing chart for you?
I didn’t use it, as I already have their PIG Delta gloves and the size chart’s specs is the same for both. Cool thing is that you can try em on and as long as you don’t remove the tags, you can exchange them.

Eat lots of red meat, don’t be a wuss.

20 degrees isn’t cold.
Appears you're probably a young smart ass that hasn't lived long enough to experience your body starting to break down. Poor circulation makes body parts cold even in summer heat. My Mom would sit in her closed car in direct summer sun trying to get warm. Try a little understanding. You'll get there yourself soon enough. :) :) :)

Looking for recommendations on a new set of gloves for hunting in nasty cold / wet weather. I need a new setup that is either thin enough to feel the trigger or something that I can peel back on the trigger finger to take a shot. My circulation has been terrible this past couple of winters, so I'm hoping someone can provide me with recommendations for gloves that work well in the ~20-35F range.

I REALLY wish that these Outdoor Research gloves that I have were just a tad thinner. Their great at keeping my hands dry, and lined with Aerogel insulation (which they're calling Primaloft Gold). Warmest gloves that I have ever owned for mountaineering, but I just can't get a positive feel for my triggers wearing them (and they're a pain to get on and off in wet weather). I'm looking at Sealskinz, a few different Sitka gloves, and possibly Under Armor.

I would appreciate any advice!
I have several nameless cheapie gloves, some actually from WallyWorld, in both fingered and mitten styles with slits in the palms that allow one or all fingers to be extended for shooting or other fine dexterity functions. They have Thinsulate or Primaloft insulation and are waterproof. Pending the specific conditions, my hands are bare or in thin polyester gloves inside the over gloves. In really cold conditions with little movement, I sometimes place a Hot Hands pack inside each over glove. I can hold rifle in shooting position for extended periods with fingers inside over gloves, poking trigger finger out as the shot evolves. Very flexible for varying conditions. If your issue is poor circulation, per experience with my elderly parents, nothing will make you feel warm. Mom used to sit in her closed car in summer sun trying to get warm.