• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Mats - Midway vs Voodoo vs ???

NoFe2O3

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2014
Looking for a shooting mat. It's for range use, so weight/bulk are non-issues. I like the ones with wings; need moderate padding. I'm considering either the Midway mat, or one of the Voodoo's.
Input, guys??

I've had both the Midway and Cabelas versions for shooting pdogs. The only thing I don't like about the Cabelas one is it's almost all black on the top side and gets very hot in the sun.

Both have good padding and keep the cactus from coming through.

I made my own out of waxed canvas, which is waterproof. Sewed carry handles on it so I can wrap my rifle up in it and move quick. Nice for coyote hunting in the winter and spring when the ground is all wet.

I would say that the Midway mats I have seen appear to be of equal quality the Voodoo mat. I cannot say this about Midway drag bags. They are TERRIBLE!
The Midway is not overly padded but the Tab mentioned above is not at all padded (but most compact I have ever seen). I have one from US Peacekeeper that is well padded, folds instead of rolls and is quite generous in size. It is the "range only" mat I would recommend most. See link below.

Tactical Shooting Mat

Midway mats seem to be of good quality and hold up well to the abuse we put them through on the range. I have one personally and my only complaint is the PVC gets pretty damn hot in direct sunlight.

I have a Midway Pro Competition mat that was sold as a factory second (no bipod straps). It is more comfortable than I expected, even shooting on rocky (scattered 34-57 gravel) ground.

I have nothing to compare it to, but for going from the truck to the shooting line and back it isn't overly heavy or bulky.

I have the midway Pro version as well and have been using it for about 2 years. Mine has held up well and is not overly bulky or heavy. Hard to beat for the money IMHO

I use the midway mat and like it. I have never used any if the others to compare them though.

I run a Tab mat. I just hosted a two day shoot on the family ranch here in Wyo. There is no padding as stated previously but I can't say it was a problem. Being compact is a huge bonus if you have to move a lot. We had Midway & Cabelas mats out there also, in 95* temps, the mats with black on them got crazy hot.

t

I find the Midway mat good for shooting off concrete, especially in winter, and rocky areas. It is padded and thus a little bulky but that's of little consequence if parking at/near your shooting area. I also have a TAB mat which has little padding and rolls up to be very compact. I keep it in my pack and use it when traveling or leaving my truck and walking in.

Last edited:
I use one from US PeaceKeeper and it has held up well and comes with a lifetime guarantee. I have yet to spread it out over a cactus patch or anything like that but the padding is thick and it works for me.

Shooting Mat

EDIT: I see they have them on Amazon for 114 and they are in stock

Last edited:
If size is of no issue and you want a well built/padded mat the Crosstac mats are awesome.

If you want something compact and don't care about padding then as always, you can never go wrong with TAB gear.

Cant go wrong with TAB, have the padded version and the non. Non padded i take on my pack and the none when we just go out shooting.

Have had the Midway Pro mat for 3+ years and it's held up great. Bulky as long as you aren't packing up to move around or anything. Like others said if you're in direct sunlight it gets hot to the touch with bare skin.

I have a Galati and it's fine. The textured elbow spots get HOT in the sun...
What I like best is it's a bag / mat and has shoulder straps and handles.

I have the tac force or tac pro. One of em. That's a rifle case when its folded up. That's the only way you would want to carry it a ways and its decent. Its been in back of my truck since 09 and is still going strong. I have the tab as well and its usually on the bottom of my pack getting used when were going off road and might need one. The one in my tac ops drag bag has only been used once. I feel like I have my bases covered with the tab and the tac pro. One for range and one for the field. Not that you need one a lot in the field but in the sticky ground parts if the world you might.

The Triad mat is in between the heavy padded mats from Midway/Voodoo(and other imported versions) and the TAB Gear mat. Triad mat has some padding but is still small enought to put into a bag or pack.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhKChqdhHaA

Unless you order the BLACK mat, the nonskid parts in under your arms will be a coyote/khaki color to keep heat down.

Last edited:
I have the mat from Tactical Tailor its padded and folds with a fastex buckle carry handle.
Shooters Mat
Its expensive, but I picked it up at their yearly sale.

I got a great deal on a Voodoo mat and its been great. Well made and has held up nicely.

I'm learning gear requirements/management, and sometimes paying the price for gear that I discover I won't use. It's been that way with mats and bags and such. But I've settled on the triad shooting mat for some situations and the crosstac recon mat for others as it's hardly any bulk.

TAB when I need something compact, Tactical Tailor when I need something padded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cross Tac. Hands down best mat I've ever used. La police gear had the best price of around $130 if memory serves.

I use a voodoo tactical. Works great for me. I have had no need to try anything else. If I was going to pack it I would look and see if I could find a smaller one but for range use it's great!

I've had both the Midway and Cabelas versions for shooting pdogs. The only thing I don't like about the Cabelas one is it's almost all black on the top side and gets very hot in the sun.

Both have good padding and keep the cactus from coming through.

Same here. I really like the Cabelas mat. It has held up well against sand burrs, but on a sunny day you need a towel to put on top of the black part or you will get smoked.

I have been very happy with the Voodoo mat. It's well padded and made well.

Ive been using the Voodoo mat for over a year and its compact and light - good for matches. But ive also used the midway mat that other folks brought with them to matches and they are more comfortable and wider which is really nice. While shooting prone with the voodoo mat I often get sharp rocks or cactus on my legs and knees. The midway mat is wider so it wont have this issue, however it is heavier. If you are just taking it to the range, I would say get the midway.

Some information on the TAB Mat.

Every single mat we make has padding for the elbows. I am not understanding what people who own them are not realizing about these mats. There is a 12" section 10" down from the top of the mat that has 1/8" closed cell foam for elbow padding.

I call the top of the mat the opposite end from the straps.

We have never made a single mat that has no padding in it at all that I can recall.

The purpose of the mat is to be very compact yet have some padding for the elbows. I lay on concrete all the time with the mat and the foam is more than adequate for me to allow laying on concrete.

Good luck in your search for the perfect mat for you.

Every single mat we make has padding for the elbows. I am not understanding what people who own them are not realizing about these mats. There is a 12" section 10" down from the top of the mat that has 1/8" closed cell foam for elbow padding.

We have never made a single mat that has no padding in it at all that I can recall.

The purpose of the mat is to be very compact yet have some padding for the elbows. I lay on concrete all the time with the mat and the foam is more than adequate for me to allow laying on concrete.

You're right, I mispoke when I stated no padding. My TAB mat does have the foam you spoke of; 2 days laying on the hard Wyo dirt, I had zero issues with my TAB.

t

Tony,
I am definitely not trying to disparage your mat. I have quite a lot of your product and it is all top notch. When I say no padding I actually mean the difference in padding is the US Peacekeeper mat is padded 100% front to back. It is very hard to carry with you all the time due to all the padding. It won't roll up and fit my SHTF pack like yours. So, I guess what I am saying is when the SHTF I am counting on TAB.

I picked up this mat over a year ago on a prize table and I keep it behind my seat in the truck because I use it every time I go to the rifle range. It is padded from the front to the back and is extremely comfortable to lay on. It can fit my 5 year old son on it and there is enough room for me to sit behind him while I instruct and not be sitting on concrete. The pockets help for ammo and clips. Below is the link for the mat.

TACTICAL GEAR/NYLON/BAGS - US PEACEKEEPER - US PEACEKEEPER SHOOTING MAT 36X72

I hope this helps.

My Voodoo mat had no bipod loops or anchor straps. Also doesn't have grommets for staking it down in windy environment. Very well made, and plenty padded, but I picked up a Midway pro mat couple years ago and haven't really used the Voodoo since. If I have to carry it far, would take the Voodoo because the Midway mat is HUGE, which has pros/cons.

I also have the Triad mat.

Usual range load out is mat rolled up in a small pack, with an MTM ammo carrier, rear bag, mags, notebook w/ some targets in pages, eyes and ears, and rifle slung over shoulder. I couldn't be happier with this setup.

My Midway mat has served me well for several years, packs up very nice and padded in all the right locations. It goes on sale several times a year so keep an eye out and you can snag it for a good price.

Guess I'm the one running a Wilderness mat. My range is has concrete floored shooting stalls and this mat is perfect, especially in the winter. It has straps to load the bipod against, the whole thing is padded, it rolls up nicely, and its made in the USA (AZ I think).

Precision Rifle Deployment Pad

you will see 10 Creedmoor mats for everyone of there competitors at any high-power match. Might want to check on them as welt