• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shooting my first match...

CleanMoostang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2010
Eastern KY
And needless to say I am a mixture of stoked and nervous all together! A fellow member who often shoots this match plus others contacted me and invited me, so of course I jumped on it. He has also sent me a list of the things I want to have in my backpack throughout the day just to be well-prepared for things that may come up. Heres what I got so far...

Rifle
Ammo
Rear bag
Harris Bipod
Kestrel+Ballistic AE
Boonie Hat
small tool kit
Hydration system
Energy snacks
Ear protection
Prescribed lenses...(2 astigmatisms)
Wristband card holder (for dope)
Inclemate Weather clothing (rainsuit, gloves, etc.)
Glass cleaners
Boresnake
Bag of Meds (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, whatver)
And of course my data book

Just want to get an idea from you fellows on you experiences from your first matches, what it was like, and who well you done compared to what you expected?

Man a sling for your rifle is a must. Take a pair of binos and a rangefinder. Some matches let u use the lrf some dont. I was so nervous my first match i had a couple recoil induced double taps with my AR10 but solid position still gave me hits lol. Stay calm and think each shot through before u even get staged man and u will be ok.

Looks like a good list.

Only thing I see might be missing is knee/elbow protection. Some asswipe RO might tell you to jump in a pile of rocks and shoot kneeling or prone unsupported.

Being a not so distant noob myself, just be prepared to have fun, there is nothing to get too stressed about. About the only thing that I instantly realized is that shooting off a bench at the local range doesn't do you much good. Dry firing/working on various shooting positions helps a lot. The first comp I ever did was also the first time I'd ever shot prone unsupported, through a ladder, support side etc etc.

But I did as well in my first comp as I initially expected - I sucked. After shooting a number of comps, now I only sorta suck. But I blame my gear...

You need your rifle's dope. Yes you have a ballistic calculator but anything with batteries can and will fail sooner or later. Also get a mil-dot master for range estimation. Oh and put a small bottle of gun oil in for your bolt. Also a few paper towels and handi wipes wouldn't hurt either.

Good advice above, it has been my experience that the quickest route to your next miss is dwelling on the last one. Relax and have fun.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the advice, Im not gonna go in with a mindset of bringing home the gold, I just wanna have a good time and hopefully meet some of you guys at a future match one day...

I approach all match shooting as practice. It takes the pressure off.

Be prepared to forget to do things while shooting. I shot an entire stage a few months ago with my 2FP scope set on minimum power. Needless to say, my wind calls were all off. Just move on and improve the next stage.

Bring a note pad or 3x5 cards so you can make a quick sketch of the stage; target layout plus data, read it, write it and remember it. It is a very helpful technique especially when the targets are spread out and have to be engaged in a specific order.

The 3x5 cards idea is fantastic! I'm always running out of room on the pages of my databook. Having those cards would make it easy to make all the notes I want for a stage on a card. Then later I could transfer the useful information to my databook. That is just awesome. Thanks for posting that.

I shot my first match a few weeks ago. I was nervous all day. I started out the first stage was a 100 yd CBS at a ping pong ball. I shot and to my surprise the pp ball was still there. I got off the line and started looking at my gear, I had left 1 mil wind dialed in from the range the week before. A few stages later someone started talking to me while loading a mag and I only loaded 8 rounds for a 10 round stage. Later on I got flustered when I couldnt find a tiny target in a pile of rocks, when I switched to the next target I forgot to dial my dope and just kept pulling the trigger wondering why I wasnt hitting. Another stage I shot my 3 shots from the first position and couldnt find the target from the next 3 positions, It was the same target. It took the RO another full minute to walk we on target AFTER the time was up. Moral of the story is this, your gonna screw up. Just take your time and forget about the last screw up and concentrate on the next one. Keep your ears open and ask questions, I guarantee you will learn something.

When I first started shooting in the local match's , I went into with the goal of doing my best. and if I placed last, my goal next time was to place better than last the next time! Always self improving!

Most match's have a time limit, dont let that get in your head and rush your shots. If there is a stage with 5 shots and a tight time. your better off to take your time and hit 3 than miss 5.

Remember to zero your dial after every stage. I have been a rev off a few times. haha

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think your shooting the match at Rayner's this weekend by your other posts.

If so: Relax it is one of the best run matches around! Your gear list looks good but as said before you need a sling because you will be doing a lot of walking through the woods and the terrain is slick and hilly.
The RO's will walk your group to each shooting location and then proceed to tell the group about the time limits and target sizes and locations. Listen carefully when they explain the course of fire and don't feel embarrassed about asking them to clarify or repeat the instructions, you will know the ones who did not when it's their turn and shoot something out of order and their points don't count. The RO's are great guys and will help out in anyway they can.

They take a break at noon for lunch and the ladies put out some great chow at a reasonable price if you don't want to pack a lunch.

You may want to bring a chamber flag to put in while not shooting or you may have to remove your bolt instead.

Knee pads help a lot not just for rough surfaces but also for wet surfaces.

You will need a mildot master for the one stage that has UKD targets. Last year they gave us an amazingly long time to range and calculate them.

Last time I did not even have time to use my ballistic computer at the stages because it went so fast (20 stages in one day) so a dope card is a must. Maybe make one up in the morning and change it at lunch to compensate for temp and pressure changes.

Pack light because it's a pretty good trek.

As far as mindset goes, just have an open mind and relax. Almost all of the problems I have had at matches was because I got in a hurry. As soon as one thing goes wrong it seems like its all downhill from there. So, if you had a bad stage just block it out of your mind and start fresh with the next and only worry about the target that is in your scope right now, and not the one before or after it.

If your shooting Saturday I'll see you there.

Thanks Smith, we are coming down Saturday but not shooting until Sunday, just getting a early start on gathering data for the course. I will make sure to have a sling and pack lightly for the course, and when it comes to home cooked grub I always jump on that.

So for each stage they will tell you, "Shoot this target at (x) distance first, then the next target at (x) distance next. Then clear chamber". Is that pretty much it in a nutshell? I plan on running a dope card in a wristband play card holder like we used in football so quick and easy drop corrections, which I assume will be much quicker than jerking out the Iphone and pulling up Ballistic AE...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think your shooting the match at Rayner's this weekend by your other posts.

If so: Relax it is one of the best run matches around! Your gear list looks good but as said before you need a sling because you will be doing a lot of walking through the woods and the terrain is slick and hilly.
The RO's will walk your group to each shooting location and then proceed to tell the group about the time limits and target sizes and locations. Listen carefully when they explain the course of fire and don't feel embarrassed about asking them to clarify or repeat the instructions, you will know the ones who did not when it's their turn and shoot something out of order and their points don't count. The RO's are great guys and will help out in anyway they can.

They take a break at noon for lunch and the ladies put out some great chow at a reasonable price if you don't want to pack a lunch.

You may want to bring a chamber flag to put in while not shooting or you may have to remove your bolt instead.

Knee pads help a lot not just for rough surfaces but also for wet surfaces.

You will need a mildot master for the one stage that has UKD targets. Last year they gave us an amazingly long time to range and calculate them.

Last time I did not even have time to use my ballistic computer at the stages because it went so fast (20 stages in one day) so a dope card is a must. Maybe make one up in the morning and change it at lunch to compensate for temp and pressure changes.

Pack light because it's a pretty good trek.

As far as mindset goes, just have an open mind and relax. Almost all of the problems I have had at matches was because I got in a hurry. As soon as one thing goes wrong it seems like its all downhill from there. So, if you had a bad stage just block it out of your mind and start fresh with the next and only worry about the target that is in your scope right now, and not the one before or after it.

If your shooting Saturday I'll see you there.

Black sharpie to write the really important stuff on your hand...like
*what relay you are (Seen good shooters get zero because they missed their relay).
*remind your self to turn scope back to zero(as was said earlier).

I did not see a spotting scope on the list.
If you receive the course of fire in advance, read it and high light the important parts to use in the field (if permitted).
lf you are using paper targets get to know the scoring values for each area and pick your aiming point: a hand, chin, nose, body,....
If movers (walking targets) pre-calculate how much lead at a given distance.
Practice with a stop watch just to get to know how long 2 seconds, 3 seconds, 5 seconds and 10 seconds actually are and practice dry firing in those time slots (or what ever length of time the target exposures are in the course of fire).
If you smoke don't forget to take them with you to calm your nerves.
If it is at a range, to avoid cross firing memorize land marks behind your target in the back stop berm; tuff of grass, coloured rocks, clump of dirt.. . That way you don't need to break away from your sight picture to look for the target number to make sure you are on the right target.
Check grass, trees, flags and mirage for wind.
Enough ammo for the match and extra in case there are re shoots or tie breakers.
Bring your zeros:).

Remember everyone had their first match at some time.

Last edited:
Thanks Smith, we are coming down Saturday but not shooting until Sunday, just getting a early start on gathering data for the course. I will make sure to have a sling and pack lightly for the course, and when it comes to home cooked grub I always jump on that.

So for each stage they will tell you, "Shoot this target at (x) distance first, then the next target at (x) distance next. Then clear chamber". Is that pretty much it in a nutshell? I plan on running a dope card in a wristband play card holder like we used in football so quick and easy drop corrections, which I assume will be much quicker than jerking out the Iphone and pulling up Ballistic AE...

Yea, that is how it will happen. There will be only one stage where the yardages are unknown. I'm not sure they will let you walk the course before hand to gather data but even if you did you would not know where the targets are or which ones you will be shooting at. The hard part is always going to be the wind and that can never really be planned.

I also use a football wristband dope card holder and bring along a wet erase marking pen to write down the yardages and target order while they describe the stage.

There will be a few where you start at point A and shoot then move to point B and shoot and so on. Some will also be scored on time and hits, so if you hit them all and it took you 1:30 to do so and the next guy hits them all and it took him 1:20 he of course get more points. Some will have very short time limits like 30 seconds.

There won't be a need for a spotting scope at this one. You will be shooting the stages by yourself.

Check out Rayner's range on You Tube and look for "Rayner's range sniper challenge" There are a few videos of some past stages.

Hope this helps.

Yeah Ive been studying those videos one by one each day pretty much in my free-time at work, only thing I didnt see was when they gave ranges, etc., so that explains a lot. Thanks again.

I would suggest a checklist to,review prior to each stage..some suggestions:

Scope on correct power
Return scope to zero position from last stage
Adjust parallax if possible
Ammo
Range card, dope for this stage
Mags and carriers
Sling or bipod adjusted if possible
Card showing come ups, or holds for various targets

The list can be extensive, but these are some often forgotten items (especially not returning scope to zero)

Don't forget your bolt...ask how I know that. I always bring a clean cloth and something to lube the action with, if things get gritty its nice to clean the bolt out and relube it while everyone else deals with sticky bolts. Also, a good pair of binos or rangefinder is nice, when the RO is going over course of fire I like to take a moment identifying targets and locations.

The 1st time always hurts a little ;), just go into it with a open mind and don't put too much pressure on yourself, you may do better than you think if you don't overthink it.

Good luck!

I would suggest a checklist to,review prior to each stage..some suggestions:

Scope on correct power
Return scope to zero position from last stage
Adjust parallax if possible
Ammo
Range card, dope for this stage
Mags and carriers
Sling or bipod adjusted if possible
Card showing come ups, or holds for various targets

The list can be extensive, but these are some often forgotten items (especially not returning scope to zero)

This is a good list! At every match I've been to, you'll see at least ONE of the competitors forget to reset their elevation/parallax. Try to have your elevation/parallax preadjusted as much as possible before the stage begins so it's an easy tweak once you're up to the line. Most of the stages are going to be known distance so you'll be able to pre-tweak your rig to suit. The idea is to get yourself preset for the stage as much as possible. Know how many rounds are in each mag. Know which pocket you put your extra mag in,...etc. Try to do a previsualization of you running through the stage in your head i.e. I'm holding the rifle in the ready position, bolt back, GO! I run over to the barricade, set my rear bag on the rail, then set my rifle down, get a sight picture of the target, cycle the bolt, aim, squeeze straight back,...etc.

One thing you'll quickly realize after a couple stages, is that what looks like a pretty clear course of fire from your position behind the firing line, will look entirely different once you're up to shoot,... running as little as 50' from where you were can end up making the course look like you landed on another planet,... "where the hell did that target go,...?" A good trick for this is to dial your magnification down, and I mean WAY down. I've found that if it's a piece of steel within 600-yards, I'm running my scope about 12x MAX,... Wasting time trying to initially find your target is just that,... a big waste of time. I usually start a stage with my scope set less than 10x and will only dial up as needed.

Above all, just be the good guy that you seem to be. Make an effort to shake everyone's hand and get to know them. You can mention it, but don't wax on and on about this being your first match, they've all been there and they've heard that same story too many times. Just use it as a learning experience, check out some killer rigs, meet some great people, and have fun!

Ry

Keep the good info coming guys. I hope to start shooting matches this summer and appreciate everyone's post on the subject.

I just shot my first match a couple weeks ago and was wishing I had organized my gear better. I had crap strung all over the back seat of my truck and could find anything. Also I was using a football play card holder on my forearm and found having my dope out to 1000 yards on my range card made it cluttered and hard to find my dope fast. Later in the match I just started writing the dope I needed for that course of fire on my forearm and then clean it off before the next. Good Luck to you.