• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Action Customs Alpha 11 action and "LBC" Mod

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Shooters,

Short Action Customs is now releasing full details of our new action and our Patent Pending "Lower Bolt Clearance" modification.

The Short Action Customs "Alpha 11" action is manufactured for us by Defiance Machine in Columbia Falls, MT. We choose Glen Harrison at Defiance for his superior knowledge, machining capability and product that he has to offer. The fit and finish of any of his actions is top notch along with all the machining and surface finish of the final product.

Here is a brief description of the features and benefits of our Action.

- Standard and Normal tennon length avaialbe (longer tennon offers more bedding contact for more bedding support)

- Long and Short action lengths available with just about any bolt face configuration.

- Multiple ejection port lengths and geometry available to accommodate almost all caliber/case configurations.

- Guardian Mag well (to accept AW magazines) as well as standard (Badger Mag well) configurations available.

- Full round receiver,

- Scope base have (6) 8/40 screws that are double pinned, 0 MOA to 40 MOA bases available.

- Bolt has multiple M16 extractor configurations.

- Our bolt handle has a unique cutout to drop into most stocks with out any extra inletting.

- Threaded bolt handle accepts 5/16 x 24 standard pitch bolt knobs.

- Firing Pin assembly is fully guided, firing pin/cocking piece fit is correct with the cross pin fully supported to prevent breakage. Cocking piece/bolt shroud/bolt body fit is correct with the shroud supported to limit bolt/firing pin tilt due to trigger connector pressure when bolt is cocked.

- Trigger connector to cocking piece hand of is correct with no excessive engagement.

- Bolt handle cam to action extraction cam fit is the best out there with the smoothest extraction in the industry.

- Heavy rear tang with a blind rear action hole for a clean fit. Heavy rear tang stiffens the action up for use in Chassis Systems.

- Short Action Customs' first blind side bolt release.

- Double pinned recoil lug.

Actions Start at $1200 complete with Scope base and hardware, fully assembled bolt, action with side bolt release hardware and double pinned recoil lug.

_DSC0163.jpg

_DSC0164.jpg

_DSC0134.jpg

_DSC0146.jpg

_DSC0144.jpg

_DSC0152.jpg

_DSC0168.jpg

_DSC0156.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

Re: Short Action Customs Alpha 11 action and "LBC" Mod

Awesome combination of features and price points.

Did I miss the part where you explained exactly what "lower bolt clearance" modification was supposed to be?

Some may ask " why another Defiance action?" The Short Action Customs Alpha 11 offers some features that no other Defiance actions currently have.

Our new blind side bolt release, heavy Remington tang with a blind rear screw hole, SAC bolt fluting, and most importantly our Lower Bolt Clearance technology.

The SAC bolt fluting is fluting that extends farther aft towards the bolt handle. For those who want a fluted bolt, this style of fluting actually extends into the rear bridge to help sweep away debris that may be caught. Most other styles of bolt fluting stop before this point serving as a cosmetic modification or to help reduce surface contact when cycling the bolt. While we extend the bolt fluting farther aft, we still leave some of the full diameter of the bolt contacting the receiver to fully index the bolt properly into the receiver during lock up.

SAC bolt fluting can be seen in this picture.

_DSC0155.jpg

_DSC0156.jpg

Our Patent Pending Lower Bolt Clearance "LBC" modification was developed for our Alpha 11 action, but can be performed on Remingtons, and other custom actions to greatly increase the ease and speed of bolt manipulation as well as preventing binding of the bolt due to tight tolerances or long bolt throw with long actions.

The problem:

There is a compromise between accuracy and proper bolt manipulation. Actions with bumps, sleeves, or that fit tightly into the action hold the bolt straighter and truer because it limits bolt tilt. This can have a positive affect on accuracy because it keeps the bolt face and true and the bolt lugs in contact with the receiver lugs during lock up. Most would agree that this is a desirable situation for accuracy because that is why we true actions/bolt, sleeve bolts, replace with oversized bolts and lap lugs for contact.

We know that the trigger connector on the trigger is spring loaded and will always push the bolt to the top position of the raceway. Take your UNLOADED rifle, dry fire the bolt and push on the top of the bolt. It will always spring back to the top of the action. This is referred to as "bolt tilt". Bolt tilt happens with a cocked bolt and a bolt that has been fired.

What we have done is use the bolt tilt to our advantage. Take any action with a tighter fitting bolt (Defiance, Stiller, Surgeon, Remington's with PTG oversized bolts or sleeved bolts) and machine the lower half of the raceway in the rear of the action lower. This creates plenty of clearance for the bolt to move freely with out binding while locking up as perfectly straight and true as it did before.

Even though you have this new clearance on the lower half of the raceway, it does not matter because as soon as you push the bolt forward and the bolt handle starts to rotate clockwise, the lugs up front pull the bolt forward, the cocking piece engages the trigger connector and the bolt is pushed to the top of the raceway and indexed here the same way every time. Now you have full lug contact and a square bolt face just like you did before, but your action will cycle much more smoothly than it did before...GUARANTEED!!

The final product has all machining done within .0001"-.0002" concentric to the bolt raceway, the front of the action raceway is not touched, so any concerns of the front of the bolt not being centered anymore are unjustified. The bolt will cycle more smoothly, no special coatings, no lubrication required and all actions can have benchrest style action accuracy and lock up with the most reliable field rifle clearance and performance.

The picture below shows an outline of the only section of the action that is machined.

LBC.jpg

Here are the Pros and Cons

- bolt manipulation is greatly increased
- LBC mod can be performed to almost any action
- no replacing bolts or machining bumps or sleeves to straighten the bolt out.
- the bolt locks up and performs the same as it did before, just cycles more smoothly
- zero down time waiting for parts, LBC mod takes less than 1 hour and is undetectable to the eye.
- LBC mod can be performed on just an action or a complete rifle in its current configuration.

Cons

- Costs $75 dollars
- Can cause slam fires on some actions due to increased speed of bolt manipulation when closing bolt. This has happened on triggers that have minimal sear engagement and trigger spring pressure.

The LBC has been performed on multiple actions with great success and has been tested for over 10 months at this point.

Let me know if you have any questions, thank you for your time.

Mark

I'll be first to say that this mod really works well.

I've been able to spend some time behind a few of Mark's rifles that have this mod and it is definitely worth the $75 to those who want field performance with itty bitty groups.

I am using the Alpha 11 action in the 284 build that Mark is doing for me. It will also sport the LBC Mod. Looking forward to another one from Mark!

Hot damn Mark, I remember when we were talking about your new action when you were doing the varmint build for me and now their she is. What a beauty and i am saving. If you had a short action with a longer tenon is it still a true drop in. Also, if doing the LBC conversion on a varmint build and using a Jewell trigger set for a pound would it present any problems that you spoke about? Thanks for posting the info above and anyone out their thinking of having a rifle built buy Mark his customer service and builds speak for themself. He's 1 awesome dude to deal with and his rifles are tack drivers.

Mark,

Quick question. Seems that your action is around the ball park cost of a Surgeon 591 SA Repeater. Will you be offering your action with integral picatinny rail, recoil lug, etc. as well? If so, what would be the cost for such action?

Thanks.

I would love to see that.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark,

Quick question. Seems that your action is around the ball park cost of a Surgeon 591 SA Repeater. Will you be offering your action with integral picatinny rail, recoil lug, etc. as well? If so, what would be the cost for such action?

Thanks.

</div></div>

Dang Mark, after seeing this it makes me wish I would have went with the "Alpha".

I'll trade ya a 591
smile.gif

You will have to call McMillan AGAIN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark,

Thanks.

</div></div>

I have spoke with Glen about this and it all boils down to cost. The Surgeon is about $100 more expensive than the Alpha 11 and I'm sure the Defiance action would be around the $1350-$1400 range with an integral rail and lug. Most shooters would not pay for the added material and machining cost associated with those features.

Surgeon makes a fine action. Many builders have had lots of success with Surgeons. I personally feel that the product Defiance makes is superior. Comparing a Standard 308 bolt face 591 with an Alpha 11 standard 308 bolt face.

-Surface finish and machining quality is superior on the Defiance Actions.

-Extraction on the Defiance is just so smooth and has the proper geometry. Take your brand new Surgeon 591 and push the bolt forward while lifting and the bolt handle multiple times. You will notice a small contact area starting to wear on the media blasted finish. Note how there is very little contact where the bolt extraction angles meet the action extraction angles. This represents how the Surgeon is only using a small portion of the available contact area for extraction. If you check Defiance's actions, you will notice much more smooth extraction with almost full contact every time. Defiance has this nailed down!!

- Both actions have guided firing pins, one piece bolts, threaded handles, but the Defiance comes standard with M16 extractor, and a solid bolt nose. The 591 has a Remington 700 extractor with a machined out bolt nose to accept that system.

There are a few small details that I personally have noted that give Defiance the edge. So in my opinion, the Surgeon is a more expensive action with features that are not as refined as the Defiance. You are paying a considerable amount for having an integral rail and lug. Look at the cost difference from the RSR and the 591!!! Around $440 with the only notable differences being the side bolt release and the integral lug and rail! I think the integral lug and rail is nice, and if we were comparing apples to apples I would opt for it. But we are apples to oranges since we have noted the differences above, the 591 is not worth the extra cost . With the double pinned recoil that is properly manufactured to fit exactly to the action and the double pinned scope base (most people think the base is integral because how of nicely it fits) with SIX 8/40 screws, you have plenty of support and strength, then you add the refined features of the Defiance action and you have a home run.

Again, Surgeon makes great products, but when looking under the microscope these are the differences that matter.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark,

Thanks.

</div></div>

I have spoke with Glen about this and it all boils down to cost. The Surgeon is about $100 more expensive than the Alpha 11 and I'm sure the Defiance action would be around the $1350-$1400 range with an integral rail and lug. Most shooters would not pay for the added material and machining cost associated with those features.

Surgeon makes a fine action. Many builders have had lots of success with Surgeons. I personally feel that the product Defiance makes is superior. Comparing a Standard 308 bolt face 591 with an Alpha 11 standard 308 bolt face.

-Surface finish and machining quality is superior on the Defiance Actions.

-Extraction on the Defiance is just so smooth and has the proper geometry. Take your brand new Surgeon 591 and push the bolt forward while lifting and the bolt handle multiple times. You will notice a small contact area starting to wear on the media blasted finish. Note how there is very little contact where the bolt extraction angles meet the action extraction angles. This represents how the Surgeon is only using a small portion of the available contact area for extraction. If you check Defiance's actions, you will notice much more smooth extraction with almost full contact every time. Defiance has this nailed down!!

- Both actions have guided firing pins, one piece bolts, threaded handles, but the Defiance comes standard with M16 extractor, and a solid bolt nose. The 591 has a Remington 700 extractor with a machined out bolt nose to accept that system.

There are a few small details that I personally have noted that give Defiance the edge. So in my opinion, the Surgeon is a more expensive action with features that are not as refined as the Defiance. You are paying a considerable amount for having an integral rail and lug. Look at the cost difference from the RSR and the 591!!! Around $440 with the only notable differences being the side bolt release and the integral lug and rail! I think the integral lug and rail is nice, and if we were comparing apples to apples I would opt for it. But we are apples to oranges since we have noted the differences above, the 591 is not worth the extra cost . With the double pinned recoil that is properly manufactured to fit exactly to the action and the double pinned scope base (most people think the base is integral because how of nicely it fits) with SIX 8/40 screws, you have plenty of support and strength, then you add the refined features of the Defiance action and you have a home run.

Again, Surgeon makes great products, but when looking under the microscope these are the differences that matter.

Mark

</div></div>

Mark,

I'm sold, sir. My question wasn't intended in any way to flame you and your product. It was just an inquiry. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

Respectfully,

-Papagallos

I'd like to know a little more about the "slam fires"

When you say some actions, what does this mean?

What is the rate of occurrence?

Is it a technical possibility or a reality?

Guys,

I have to agree with Mark and Bohem. I have seen the LBC mod and played with it on a few of Marks builds and its amazing the difference it makes. Before anyone comments about it creating a loser action and thus less accurate setup, that is incorrect. Many of you have already seen Marks .284 build thread where he built 2 100% identical builds with 1 having the LBC mod and 1 without. The purpose of building a set of twins was to test and proove his LBC concept. The results showed that both of these rigs are getting identical accuracy results with the ability for us to swap ammo from 1 rig to the next and hold the same groups with either rifle and either rig thus proving that the LBC did not affect accuracy negatively in any way. Elevation is 100% consistent as well. When you manipulate the bolt on these 2 rifles side by side, you can very clearly tell a difference in which has the LBC mod and which one doesn't. Again, this was intentional to get feedback on the feel which has consistently been that the LBC modified action is smoother.

Mark has come up with a real winner here and the Defiance Actions are just beautiful. When the rail is mounted, the fit is so well machined that you would think it was integral. I consider myself very fortunate to have been lucky enough to get one of his first actions out of the shop! And it is a tack driver!!
smile.gif

Can't wait Mark. Even though I'm not selling the Surgeon you can go ahead and make the "LBC" mod to it. Can't wait to see my gun!

Mark that is awesome. Congrats on your new action. All points I understand after you explained it. Makes sense, and well thought out. Next year, when I can justify it, I will buy one for my collection. I would be very proud to own one.

Sweet looking action Mark. Keep up the good work.

I have seen the Alpha II in person and it is a piece of art. Mark showed me the wear on the surgeon vs the alpah II that he mentioned and it is pretty noticable. I have one on the way for my new build and cant wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

I have to agree with Mark and Bohem. I have seen the LBC mod and played with it on a few of Marks builds and its amazing the difference it makes. Before anyone comments about it creating a loser action and thus less accurate setup, that is incorrect. Many of you have already seen Marks .284 build thread where he built 2 100% identical builds with 1 having the LBC mod and 1 without. The purpose of building a set of twins was to test and proove his LBC concept. The results showed that both of these rigs are getting identical accuracy results with the ability for us to swap ammo from 1 rig to the next and hold the same groups with either rifle and either rig thus proving that the LBC did not affect accuracy negatively in any way. Elevation is 100% consistent as well. When you manipulate the bolt on these 2 rifles side by side, you can very clearly tell a difference in which has the LBC mod and which one doesn't. Again, this was intentional to get feedback on the feel which has consistently been that the LBC modified action is smoother.

Mark has come up with a real winner here and the Defiance Actions are just beautiful. When the rail is mounted, the fit is so well machined that you would think it was integral. I consider myself very fortunate to have been lucky enough to get one of his first actions out of the shop! And it is a tack driver!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thanks for the description. Now I am even more confused. After reading Mark's description my impression was that the LBC mod was to reduce the bolt being "pressed" out of full lug contact by the trigger/sear/firing pin. Which should therefore create a more accurate rifle.

Your description leads me to believe that the main advantage is a smoother bolt and no loss of accuracy to a non-LBC system. You put emphasis on the fact that the LBC had no accuracy loss, while I was expecting the emphasis to be that the LBC was noticeably more accurate.

I am very interested in this action, and only want it for maximum accuracy. If the only advantage to the LBC modification is a smoother bolt then I do not want it. If the LBC modification has better lug contact and bolt centering and therefore better accuracy then I want it.

So I guess my question is, "What is/are the clearly definable advantages of the LBC modification and is there a potential for loss of accuracy with it?"

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

smile.gif
</div></div>

Thanks for the description. Now I am even more confused. After reading Mark's description my impression was that the LBC mod was to reduce the bolt being "pressed" out of full lug contact by the trigger/sear/firing pin. Which should therefore create a more accurate rifle.

Your description leads me to believe that the main advantage is a smoother bolt and no loss of accuracy to a non-LBC system. You put emphasis on the fact that the LBC had no accuracy loss, while I was expecting the emphasis to be that the LBC was noticeably more accurate.

I am very interested in this action, and only want it for maximum accuracy. If the only advantage to the LBC modification is a smoother bolt then I do not want it. If the LBC modification has better lug contact and bolt centering and therefore better accuracy then I want it.

So I guess my question is, "What is/are the clearly definable advantages of the LBC modification and is there a potential for loss of accuracy with it?"

Thanks! </div></div>

The LBC mod creates the effect of more Receiver ID to Bolt body OD tolerance gap, which allows for a smoother, more reliable field-type rifle, while maintaining the tight tolerances normally found in BR type actions.

The LBC mod is part of Mark's "Enhanced Accuracy Package" that includes making sure there is proper contact between both lugs and their corresponding lug abutments while the rifle is locked up and ready to fire a round.

The LBC mod is not <span style="text-decoration: underline">all</span> of the EAP it's an integral part of it.

ETA: I do not feel that there is a potential for "accuracy loss" (really, it's repeatability on target that we are striving for) as this is a modification that assists in keeping everything locked up tight and true as required for such rifle applications.

Basically Mark found a way to get the precision/accuracy (tight tolerance, little clearance, precise bore alignment) of a benchrest action with the functionality of a field action.
Justin

Hello Folks,

Will this action be a drop in fit for a Whiskey-3 Chassis ?
Also, will a Huber Concepts trigger work with the LBC mod ?

Thanks in advance.

Is there anymore info on this modification? I have a Defiance that is very tight, but super accurate. Would this modification help?

Yes, it will fit into the Whiskey 3 chassis with out any issues. The Huber concepts trigger works perfectly fine as well. The LBC mod does not change the relationship between the trigger and cocking piece.

Mark

Yes, it will fit into the Whiskey 3 chassis with out any issues. The Huber concepts trigger works perfectly fine as well. The LBC mod does not change the relationship between the trigger and cocking piece.

Mark

Is there anymore info on this modification? I have a Defiance that is very tight, but super accurate. Would this modification help?

It will help out the action and bolt manipulation, we can also just Melonite the bolt and that will help prevent galling and helps with the bolt as well. You can also do both and it will feel great!

Mark

It will help out the action and bolt manipulation, we can also just Melonite the bolt and that will help prevent galling and helps with the bolt as well. You can also do both and it will feel great!

Mark

Might have to get this LBC Mod done to my Defiance Stryker Ridge Action before I have it sent out for QPQ. Just curious about the trigger I will be using. Have an Adjustable Rifle Basix from 8oz-20oz and def don't want an AD!

Mark awesome action how do you find the time the last time I visited the shop you were extremely busy keep up the great work I will be in touch in a few months for a sac dta barrel and by the way how is the 223 conversion progressing are the dta floating bolt heads available only through dta or can you get them. thanks

Mark
Mark, what is your back log if I send my rifle out to you to have the bolt Melonited, as well as the modification?

I have not done any BAT actions, I'm not sure the BAT's would be a good idea. They are made pretty tight and to operate a certain way.

Mark

I agree Mark....their design & machining tolerances are what makes them a BAT!!

What do you mean by "operate a certain way"?

BAT actions are pretty tight, but normally run really smooth. If you open them up, they may not run any more smooth because of how the bolt bore raceway clearance and quality of machining keep the bolt nice and smooth. I'm not sure you want to mess that up.

Mark