• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short action hunting caliber ?

I have two 6.5 PRCs that shoot the Hornady Precision Hunter just as well as they do handholds, one is a Browning X Bolt and the other is a Tikka T3 with a proof barrel.

if I could launch a g5 montec from a rifle at 3000 fps, I would.

Reactions: Modoc
I have two 6.5 PRCs that shoot the Hornady Precision Hunter just as well as they do handholds, one is a Browning X Bolt and the other is a Tikka T3 with a proof barrel.
The factory eldx does great in my 6.5 prc as well, it’s an impact with a proof carbon barrel, easily 3/4 moa.

6.5 PRC is the easy button for factory hunting ammo in a short action but 7mm is the angel of death.

I went with 7 SAW for my 22in lightweight hunter, slinging 145 LRX at 2925 FPS and 162s at 2850 FPS.
and 7 SAUM for my heavy "hunter" with the 162 ELD/166 ATIP at 3000 FPS and I might try the 180 ELD-M depending if I can get them to shoot at a coal of 2.975in which is a bit of a jump.

Killed 7 critters with 6cm this season, 5 deer 2 antelope from 400-730y, 108 elite hunters at 3050fps, nothing went more than 20y. Very impressed. Woman shot her buck at 430y with a 140hybrid from 65 prc at 3070fps mv, and it blew half the offside lung out the exit hole, dropped like a stone. The woman and I have 6 elk tags that don't close until late February. I'll hopefully be able to update on the 6cm performing on them soon.

I went with the 300wsm. It's pretty much a medium magnum, and it's almost identical to the 300H&H I was using.

I have a pair of hunting rifles. A 6.5cm and 300wsm if I'm targeting deer I'll take the Creed and if I'm after elk I'll take the WSM. I've used each for deer and elk. And wouldn't hesitate to take an elk with a 6.5cm again although I still grab the 300wsm when looking for elk.

The 6.5prc was just pretty new when I went with the wsm, but I'm sure it would be just fine as well.

6.5 PRC is an awesome choice. Plenty of great options for boxed ammo. If you go the handload way, the brass is readily available from Peterson, ADG and Lapua.

Here is a comparison between my former 280AI Hand-loads 20 inch barrel and factory Hornady Hunter Ammo 143eldx 24 inch barrel. As you can see it maintains 1500 ft lbs out to 700 yrds ( at 7200 ft above sea level 50° day)

I believe these are pretty modest numbers, compared to what you can get out of it handloading.

View attachment 8305609

View attachment 8305613
Why not use same bullet weights?
Do a comparison of the 280Ackley launching 140 gr Berger VLD's at 3250 fps.