• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Short action magnums in big frame ARs

Randoman5

Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I've been looking at George Gardner's success with the 6.5 RSAUM. I was wondering if you could run this cartridge in a large AR upper. Would you need special magazines.

A little bit of googling led me to a AR10 Short magnum, but it has apparently been discontinued.

So I was wondering what it would take to do something like that.

Interesting idea. A lot of the WSSM's have been done in the AR 15 platform. I have one in 25WSSM. I wonder how the WSM's/RSAUM's would run in AR10? Could modify some pmag followers like was done with the AR15's. Bolts would be easier to work with than they were in the AR15. I wouldn't mind having a 270 WSM or neck one down to 6.5.

One of the site sponsers over on Longrangehunting shoots both a .243 wssm and a .300 saum ; I forget who the gunsmith who built them is but they are definitely custom builds. I think the BCG for the .300 saum requires some custom modification in order to cycle.