• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes short to midrange scope options?

atomic41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 4, 2013
    I've been lurking here for a while and started posting recently. I would love to get some suggestions from you all on choosing a scope for a rifle that will be complete in a couple of weeks.

So I'm building a .308 Mega Arms semi. I will be shooting at the range 50-300yds., hunting, and occasional longer range shooting when I can make long trips. I've been shooting since I was a kid and hunting off and on for a long time so I'm no stranger to shooting but I am a complete newb to the world of longer range/precision shooting so from talking to people and doing lots of reading, I think I have narrowed down what I want for a scope for this rifle. I am looking for brand/model suggestions from the incredibly experienced shooters on here.

I would like something in the 2-10x adjustable magnification range, illuminated, good glass, and want to stay under $1000. It seems like Vortex, Bushnell, and some others have wonderful options but I would love to hear your suggestions. I read about that new Steiner (3-15x I think) with an estimated price of $1k due in September, but I would have to shoot all summer with back up sights, or borrow my 30 year old hunting scope off my .270 for the summer. If you guys think it's worth it to wait for that beauty then I might.

So based on my plans for this rifle and price range, what do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
    The Vortex 2.5-10x32 is a popular choice for a good reason. Good glass and features for its price point. Don't forget that many site vendors offer discounts to members.

I have a Mega AR15 that I'm probably going to be buying a Burris XTR II 1.5-8x with the Burris RDS combo. It's around $1150 most places, but I know that so e of the vendors here can get it to you for less. You will be getting a lot of bang for your buck with that setup. It comes with the mounts for both the scope and RDS too, so consider that in the price. If the XTR II line is as good as people have said, this will be a great scope setup for me, and probably for your needs as well.

The Vortex 2.5-10x32 is a popular choice for a good reason. Good glass and features for its price point. Don't forget that many site vendors offer discounts to members.

I do like what I hear about Vortex. I have not used one but they do seem to be popular. Thanks

I have a Mega AR15 that I'm probably going to be buying a Burris XTR II 1.5-8x with the Burris RDS combo. It's around $1150 most places, but I know that so e of the vendors here can get it to you for less. You will be getting a lot of bang for your buck with that setup. It comes with the mounts for both the scope and RDS too, so consider that in the price. If the XTR II line is as good as people have said, this will be a great scope setup for me, and probably for your needs as well.

Oh cool, I will check it out and put it on my list. Thanks!

Any other recommendations? I'll be wanting to pick it up real soon. Also, any opinions on waiting for the Steiner to come out? (I don't want to wait until Sept.)

I just picked up a Leupold Mk6 1-6x 20 with the CMRW reticle for a new 18" AR15 build. I'm very impressed. The glass is excellent, and I had no problem hitting a 12" plate at 600yds at 6x.

The Steiner T5xi had, I believe, a $1700 estimated price for the 3-15x model.

The Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 would be an OK option. I just haven't much liked the PST scopes. My personal pick would be either the Burris XTRII 2-10x42, which I believe is now available (and $799 or less, but you need a 34mm mount and it's not illuminated), or the excellent and proven Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 with the illuminated BTR-MIL reticle, which is $750 at Opticsplanet last I checked, and is a really nice scope with several years of time on the market to reveal any flaws. (I have two of those with the non-illuminated G2 reticle.) The Burris 1.5-8x mentioned above would also be a good choice.

The Steiner T5xi had, I believe, a $1700 estimated price for the 3-15x model.

Oops, you're right. Ok, scratch that one off the list.

The Vortex was at the top of my list and hearing from some of you is making me keep it at the top. Thanks everyone.

Not to be a downer, but I haven't been impressed with the PST line of Vortex scopes. I think that their lower end scopes are good values, and their high end scopes are excellent scopes. I would recommend the Burris XTR II line, Weaver Tactical, Meopta, SWFA SS, Leupold, Zeiss Duralyt (highly recommend), IOR, etc. I like Vortex a lot, but like I said, I've never been impressed by the PST's.

Have you tried a 2.5-10x32?

Have you tried a 2.5-10x32?

I have looked through them on several occasions, and I've fondled them quite a bit too. When I have other scopes next to me to compare with don't find them to be anything special or something that I would buy. I'm not an optics snob or anything like that, I wish I could afford to be. I'm a college student and my budget is usually really tight so I make sure to get the most bang for the buck. Scopes that I own that I reference when looking at other scopes are: SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD, Trijicon ACOG TA11, Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4x24, Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 30mm tube, and the lowly Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28.

I have looked through them on several occasions, and I've fondled them quite a bit too. When I have other scopes next to me to compare with don't find them to be anything special or something that I would buy. I'm not an optics snob or anything like that, I wish I could afford to be. I'm a college student and my budget is usually really tight so I make sure to get the most bang for the buck. Scopes that I own that I reference when looking at other scopes are: SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD, Trijicon ACOG TA11, Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4x24, Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 30mm tube, and the lowly Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28.

Everyone has their opinions, which is fine. I was just making sure you saw that specific scope as it's actually the best of the PST line I have seen.

I really think it's a slick little scope with excellent glass, nice turrets with tactile and audible clicks and a good usable reticle all at a good price.

Ok, I just got my new scope today. I went with the Vortex pst 2.5-10x32, ffp, illuminated. I ordered a discounted (demo unit) from Cameraland. They shipped promptly and I couldn't be happier.

This really seems like the best bang-for-your-buck out there. This is a really nice scope, can't wait to finish my new rifle and go shoot it! Thanks for the input everyone.