• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shorty 6mm (6BR, 6GT)?

Habituallinestepper

A dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2018
This feels like a ridiculous question, but I'll ask anyway. Is anyone running a shorter barrel (22"-ish) 6mm? I'm interested in grabbing a 6BR or 6GT barrel, but planning on running suppressed even in matches, and trying to avoiding adding another 9 inches onto a 26" or 28" barrel. I realize a brake would be better, but I bought it and waited long enough for the damn thing, so I'm going to run it every chance I get.

What sort of velocities are you getting?

Last edited:
Reactions: hereinaz
Just go 6 gt, get more velocity out of the two choices and run with it. Unless you are planning on winning everything, the difference won't really matter, IMO. I can still get beat by people running 308, lol. People get wrapped around the axle too much. Maybe you will lose 15 to 25 fps for every inch you trim.

After getting my suppressor, I pretty well only shoot suppressed now. I went with a 22" 6xc for the same reason. I don't need to be wielding a lance in a rifle competition. I shoot for pleasure, and a brake gives me a headache after a day of shooting.

Glad to hear the feedback. I'll give a 22" a shot, just need to figure out which caliber now.

I have a 21" 6 creed in the safe. Its short for me. I am sure some people with 16" and 18" barrels will be along shortly.

IMO if we're talking 6s the 6x47L is the ultimate. The 6GT is something like .1" shorter than the 6x47L.

The 6x47L feeds without issue, no mag kits, no BR drama. If you want to run a shorter barrel in the 22" or so realm id still expect somewhere between 2850-2900 with 109s without pushing the barrel too hard.

6x47L can be made from Lapua brass or bought factory from Peterson. Can't speak to the longevity of the Peterson, yet, but the accuracy is there out of the box and the brass is ready to go with no forming.

But it's not 'this year's caliber' so if you're following trends it's not for you. Heard a lot of complaining about the Alpha brass so keep in mind with the 🏳️‍🌈 🐯 your only viable option is Hornady brass.

NOTHING beats a BR for ease of load development and accuracy, but if you’re shooting matches not sure why anyone would want to run a sub-24” barrel(even suppressed). I’ve got a 26 with a 3” Fat Bastard brake and still regret not going 28” so I can get that 3000 FPS in my life and cut right through the wind. It’s really not that unwieldy shooting ladders, stairs, and windows. You get used to the length. Of course I will always adapt for the sake of performance.