• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Shot groups off bipod..???

Just a suggestion that may make a difference and my preferred method when using the exact same targets.
I prefer to dial my elevation up so my impacts are in the box and my concentration is focused on the center dot when breaking the shot with no obstructions or distractions from previous shots.
This is solely for load development accuracy testing, after done with that use the dot for single shots.
In my SPS varmint using near identical components I found 44 grains of Varget to be the sweet spot but it was a long ass way from the lands and well short of magazine length in AI mags.
Absolutely a great idea to group away from aim point.... i think the bench rest targets were actually designed for that tupe of thing, but not certain....but good suggestion!

Makes you wonder what bullet Remington's chamber was designed for but then you remember that they probably had max interoperability in mind. Kind of like the SAAMI 6.5 Creed spec. You could load a cucumber in there it's so long.

That's exactly what I thought when I first bought the SPS and checked my length to lands with a the 168smk, it would damn near fall out of the case at the lands.
Luckily the SMK didn't seem to care and shot great.

I think the intent was to be able to utilize 110 soft pints and 220 round nose ???

Reactions: KOPFJÄGER13
I'm with the other guys, I would buy a box of FGMM 168 and 175 and shoot some groups with it. If it groups better you know you are over shooting your barrel and need to back down on your loads or change powder.JMO

I'm with the other guys, I would buy a box of FGMM 168 and 175 and shoot some groups with it. If it groups better you know you are over shooting your barrel and need to back down on your loads or change powder.JMO
"Over shooting my barrel"... could you explain this? Thanks

Some people are speed freaks,not saying you are,and they try to push there rifles to the max as far as load development,thats what I refer to as over shooting there barrel,trying to make it do something it don't like. Some barrels like it and some don't. The velocity that you are shooting is not uncommon for a 308 but your most accurate load might be around that 2600 or a little more. That's why I suggested shooting some factory because most of it is designed around 2600 FPS and if your gun shot great you would know where you would need to be with load development. I have a 308 that's like that, it likes to be shot around 2620. I've tried to push it up in the 2700's and it don't like it.

Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
Some people are speed freaks,not saying you are,and they try to push there rifles to the max as far as load development,thats what I refer to as over shooting there barrel,trying to make it do something it don't like. Some barrels like it and some don't. The velocity that you are shooting is not uncommon for a 308 but your most accurate load might be around that 2600 or a little more. That's why I suggested shooting some factory because most of it is designed around 2600 FPS and if your gun shot great you would know where you would need to be with load development. I have a 308 that's like that, it likes to be shot around 2620. I've tried to push it up in the 2700's and it don't like it.
I assumed thats what your talking about, thanks for clearing that up??