• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Should I initiate a trust purchase now?

Mr Zero

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
I recently set up a trust for the purpose of purchasing a suppressor. Now that things appear to be changing in the approval process I was wondering what would happen if I initiate a purchase now? Would it be grandfathered in? Is CLEO signoff going to be a requirement or just prints? If CLEO signoff is needed and I can't get it done what happens to my purchase? This is my first can so I'm clueless.

Thanks for any help in clarifying for me. Cheers.

I asked my lawyer, I have a trust. There's a comment section in federal registry, I highly recommend you go register your opinion. I doubt many anti's will as they don't know anything about this, just us for the most part.

You still have to transfer the device on a 4473 for a rifle suppressor or rifle, so you still get a background check on whichever trustee picks it up as is. And any trustee that violates NFA basically looses the protection of the trust, same for beneficiaries. At least that's how I understand it.

What they WANT, is that you include photos and fingerprints for trustees and I think beneficiaries. That'd be a total of three for me, two trustees and one beneficiary. The sign-off *I think* isn't the same as begging for permission as it stands now. It is supposed to be a generic background check that they send off to ATF saying you are or you are not a criminal. I don't think they have a choice in NOT doing it in this instance. But they'd have to do it for, say, three people in my instance.

If you do it for yourself only, it'll be infinitely easier.

You also still get the protections of the trust, which I always say is actually worth it even if you couldn't buy NFA items the way you can. And if they add this rule and it doesn't increase the wait time or make it more difficult to obtain while preventing them from falling into the wrong hands and being used in crimes (they've had a stellar track record so far) then I may be okay for that, but I also understand "an inch a mile" and how they've been working this thing, so in essence I'm against it.

But I'd still get the trust. If nothing else but for your family so as to provide more protection for them. I don't know how the law will work or if there will be a loophole, but it may be possible for you to purchase as the only trustee, then add beneficiaries later. Then revoke them for the next purchase and so on.

If you only have to submit the fingerprints and photos and background check the one time for trustees and beneficiaries, then that'd obviously be a lot better. But I haven't gotten 100% clarification as they haven't adopted anything yet. Changes can still be made I suppose.

You need to contact a lawyer, whoever sets up your trust. He'll be able to tell you the changes and maybe what to do in the interim if you are planning on one. Know you can get an entire estate trust, not just NFA, and have that as just part of it as a perk. Actually not a bad deal, really.

What they WANT, is that you include photos and fingerprints for trustees and I think beneficiaries. That'd be a total of three for me, two trustees and one beneficiary. The sign-off *I think* isn't the same as begging for permission as it stands now. It is supposed to be a generic background check that they send off to ATF saying you are or you are not a criminal. I don't think they have a choice in NOT doing it in this instance. But they'd have to do it for, say, three people in my instance..

It is begging for permission with the law in place as we speak. Individuals across the nation have turned to
Trusts for this very reason. I ask all readers to investigate further into the proposal they've laid out. There
You will find NEW VERBAGE for the CLEO when signing that paperwork for said RESPONSABLE PERSON.
It asks Cleo if he's truly sure that you will not use item for mal intent, etc. it's really a loaded questionare
to make the Cleo think twice about signing. They do have a choice now, and they will have a choice with MORE
REASON not to sign for someone if this proposal goes through. They could run the background, and still deny.

that's all well and good, but the question remains whether or not it will be approved if its sent in during this waiting period for the law to be in place

I'm sending mine tomorrow. I hope if it is sent in before they/if/when add a new law to this shitty mess the ones sent in before it takes place will be grandfathered.

I talked with my shop the other day about this very thing. They told me that the information from the powers that be have said anything that is in the system prior to this law being put in place will be approved under the old system. The only thing that sucks is I asked them what would happen if it does not get approved, would I get my money back for the suppressor? He said they would try to do the best they can, but if everyone over the last 6 months gets all their money back, they would probably be out of business...so maybe I would not get my money back. I would then own a suppressor that spends the rest of its life locked up in someones safe.

I talked with my shop the other day about this very thing. They told me that the information from the powers that be have said anything that is in the system prior to this law being put in place will be approved under the old system. The only thing that sucks is I asked them what would happen if it does not get approved, would I get my money back for the suppressor? He said they would try to do the best they can, but if everyone over the last 6 months gets all their money back, they would probably be out of business...so maybe I would not get my money back. I would then own a suppressor that spends the rest of its life locked up in someones safe.

Couldn't the can be brokered by you til you find a buyer, and pass him on to your SOT man?

Munson basically sums up my fear. Which leads to the following questions that someone may be able to answer.....

Is there any indication about whether the new rule will apply to purchases after December only? If I buy now do I fall under old methodology? Or no guarantee?
Does this new rule apply to corporations also?
If I purchase a can, am subject to new rule, and am unable to get CLEO signoff can I change method of ownership to corporation midstream?

Any help is appreciated.

Zero, nobody knows much, if anything, for sure. Buy the can(s), submit the paperwork, and wait. It will work out and in a year or so you will be happily shooting. Just do it!

I think there seems to be the general thought that old/current trust apps would be grandfathered in BUT there's certainly no telling.

Can you imagine the shit storm if they took any current pending trusts and sent them back to owners to get CLEO signature?

It would screw a wasp nest of people that live in areas where it's next to impossible to get a sig (I'm told I live in one).