• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

PRS Talk Should I just accept that I'll lose most of my brass at a match

Not all of us are sponsored and get ammo/brass free or discounted.

Nothing to do with my comment and I stand by my statement. Been shooting these matches well before any sponsorships and will after they go away. Don't try and muddy the water with the old Us vs Them argument as it doesn't hold water.
I agree with Rob on this one. I'm neither sponsored nor even in the PRS, as I do not have the time available to hit more than one or two major matches each year and pretty much just shoot local matches otherwise. Even at our local matches, which are low key with plenty of time to pick up brass, I rarely come home with all of my brass. Between tall grass or odd obstacles with nooks and crannies where brass hides, there are always some pieces that just don't get found. Unless we were to give every shooter an additional 3-5 minutes to find those elusive pieces of brass, that's just how it is.

I really give kudos to those guys that can (or say they do) find every piece that they shot and came with. It takes a special talent...or something, that most don't really have. I'm not going to spend extra minutes scavenging that last piece of brass when I can be focusing on the next stage, or helping out a new shooter in the squad. I truly do feel that if that is the main focus of your shooting, then perhaps you should be shooting BR or F-Class or some other style match that keeps you placed where your brass is easy to find.

There is a BIG difference between losing a few pieces of brass which is to be expected vs not being allowed to pick up any brass as per the OPs post.

Reactions: Jeeper48 and JimLee
I'll agree to that, but if you read through all the posts, I don't think that Rob was saying that you should just expect it all to be lost. He was agreeing that 10-20% is not unusual in big matches. My experiences on the east coast at large national matches bears out that statement.

Reactions: Rob01
Respectfully Disagree

You can disagree all you want but you called me out and I gave you the facts and the fact is what it is that the sponsorships have nothing to do with it for me. Not sure how you can disagree not knowing me or how long I have been competing but hell it's the internet right?

I'll agree to that, but if you read through all the posts, I don't think that Rob was saying that you should just expect it all to be lost. He was agreeing that 10-20% is not unusual in big matches. My experiences on the east coast at large national matches bears out that statement.

Exactly. And there are total lost brass matches too and it's up to the shooter to figure out if he wants to go or not. Lost brass is also the reason I haven't used Lapua or any other expensive brass in matches since 2001. I use good brass but there is no need for the super expensive brass. Also the reason for standard cartridges I use. Anyone who actually knows me knows I am a cheap bastard and don't waste anything if not needed but I also understand the way matches work and that you will lose brass. Simple fact of life.

Reactions: b6graham
You can disagree all you want but you called me out and I gave you the facts and the fact is what it is that the sponsorships have nothing to do with it for me. Not sure how you can disagree not knowing me or how long I have been competing but hell it's the internet right?

It was not my intent to derail this thread but when someone responds with "maybe this isn't the sport for you" I feel it that deserves a response.

When some shooters perceive that the "sport" has become too much of a game, the response is "maybe this isn't the sport for you". If a shooter complains about a match that doesn't allow someone to collect their brass, well "maybe this isn't the sport for you". Well who is this sport for?

This sport is for whoever enjoys to shoot long range and wants to challenge themselves. Just because they don't look at the sport/game the same as you doesn't mean it is not for them. If they spend significant time and money loading their own ammo that is up to them. If they don't want to lose a significant amount of their brass that is up to them. It doesn't mean the "sport" isn't for them. They should be allowed to and encouraged to speak up.

And while I don't know you, as a Hornady fanboy I have read your posts for several years on multiple forums and it is very clear to me that you are very much biased when it comes to ammo/brass whether you realize it or not.

But hell its the internet and you can also say what you want.

It was not my intent to derail this thread but when someone responds with "maybe this isn't the sport for you" I feel it that deserves a response.

When some shooters perceive that the "sport" has become too much of a game, the response is "maybe this isn't the sport for you". If a shooter complains about a match that doesn't allow someone to collect their brass, well "maybe this isn't the sport for you". Well who is this sport for?

This sport is for whoever enjoys to shoot long range and wants to challenge themselves. Just because they don't look at the sport/game the same as you doesn't mean it is not for them. If they spend significant time and money loading their own ammo that is up to them. If they don't want to lose a significant amount of their brass that is up to them. It doesn't mean the "sport" isn't for them. They should be allowed to and encouraged to speak up.

And while I don't know you, as a Hornady fanboy I have read your posts for several years on multiple forums and it is very clear to me that you are very much biased when it comes to ammo/brass whether you realize it or not.

But hell its the internet and you can also say what you want.

If you notice there was an "LOL" after that comment as a part of levity as well as a point to think about. It is a sport for anyone who wants to go have some fun and shoot their rifles long range from many different positions. But if you get worked up over losing 10-20 pieces of brass then maybe you should reevaluate your choice or learn that it is part of the game. You will lose brass in this sport. It is what it is. You will not be able to get every piece back. Some matches you can get 99% of it back and some you get none. People need to realize that going in. It's not F Class. Honestly after spending money to fly to a match, hotel, rental cars, etc is it really worth getting worked up over $40-50 worth of brass loss?

And bias towards brass or ammo type is not what this discussion is about so not sure why that was brought up. Everyone has a brass or ammo they like and use. I just gave a reason I don't use expensive brass. Because it will be lost. LOL

Some matches you can get 99% of it back and some you get none.

No way in hell I would ever shoot a match where it was all lost. That would represent $300+ in brass and a crap load of time/effort. Losing 5 or 10% because of grass/field conditions, etc, I'm fine with. It's when a MD would expect you to leave it behind that I would have a major problem and flat out wouldn't shoot the match.

I don't think I'm in the minority on this, Most all the guys I know are shooting Lapua or some other high end brass.

And that is your choice which I have no problem with. Just like I don't have any desire to shoot those gut breaker matches. Humped plenty of mountains in the Marine Corps and too old. Lol

Reactions: Sheldon N
Every PRS match I have been to (both 2 day national and 1 day club matches) I have been able to pick up brass. Sure your going to loose some here or there. That's ok, the brass gods need to be fed. it helps your scores.

The best way is to have a buddy/squadmate pick up some as you are gathering your gear. Just don't hold up the next guy and smooth running of the stage. Some stages are worse than others, shooting in/around cars/rock/tall grass, etc. Some you get it all back. I would suggest that you mark your brass some how (sharpie rings work well) to identify your brass quickly.

Mammoth is a whole other animal. That is a lost brass match, well at least it was. It sold last year and I haven't heard how they will run it in that regard. I would plan on it being like that. Now that being said, its a rucking challenge with some shooting involved (again, in how it was run). most guys are shooting 223 or 308, or maybe some 6.5 creed factory rounds. not as much of the custom heavy rifles at that match cause of the rucking. Although I did donate 150ish pieces of 1-2x Alpha 6 creed brass this past year. You're welcome to who ever got that brass.

the guys i have shot with in matches have either helped pick up or picked up all my brass. pretty good dudes i guess. who likes loosing a buck a piece brass?

Several years ago when PRS was not even a thought and these type of matches were in their infancy I remember a young new shooter nearly blow a gasket when he got a scratch on his spotless Harris bipod!!! He went on to become one of the best shooters out there...and in so doing learned what to sweat and what to ignore.
Those who still give a shit about little things sure are entertaining to those who know better.

A scratched Harris bipod?? LOL!! How about a fucking hole punched in a KMW Sentinel?

I hate losing brass as much as the next guy (Lapua CM brass), so I bought an extra 100, which is a stash I use to replenish my original 100ct batches when I lose a piece here and there. I shot the TBRC in Sacramento (a bad ass match, venue and people, by the way) last weekend and only lost 11 pieces which made me happy that it wasn't more.

As said above, just get another shooter to get your brass and you get his. This is pretty common practice. The Oklahoma guys just know....we don't even have to ask each other. Someone always steps up and collects the shooters brass and hands it back to him as he leaves the line. Ive never had an RO stop me from picking up my brass and good luck to them if they tried. There are some non PRS field matches that Ive shot where I was on the clock start to finish moving from one position to another and I knew Id lose all my brass, but that was MY choice, not someone telling me I couldn't pick it up......F**ck all that in the neck.

I love the look on someone’s face when they walk up to me after a stage with a handful of brass- and I say “I don’t want it.” I’ve never shot a match where picking up your brass was a requirement, and I’ve never asked anyone to pick mine up.

The best solution I've found is to just set an example for your squad of picking up brass for other shooters. The shooter usually has their hands full when the stage is done with a bag/bags/tripod in one hand and their rifle in the other, so if you pick up brass during (safely, of course, and out of the shooter's way) or after the stage for them it makes all your stages and the match as a whole go faster and more smoothly.

Reactions: Danattherock
I will pick up brass that's on the ground from other shooters, but I'll leave it at the RO station. If it just stays on the ground it makes it harder for other shooters to segregate and grab their own brass.

To be honest the idea of not picking up brass after each shooter seems stupid to me. If you aren't on deck or just walking off a stage, you should be shagging brass for your squad mates. You can pick it up as fast as the shooter transition happens and it avoids all these problems. In the Montana match referenced above I don't think I picked up my own brass once (except maybe a prone stage), it was always my squad mates.
I've only shot 3 PRS matches.and squad mates have been very good about helping with each other's brass. I will pick brass left on the ground and leave at the RO station.

Reactions: Walkalong
We shoot some team matches where there may be 6 or 7 stages on a 2 or 3 mile course with a 2 hour limit. They start the teams in 20 minute intervals. I pick up my brass but the problem is a lot of the teams do not take the time to pick up their brass, so there is a huge pile of it that you have to sort through to get your own brass. You don't want to spend too much time, or you can time out for the course and you get bonus points for every minute under the time limit you finish. Ive never been to a PRS or that style of match where other squad members did not pick up for each other. Its just the other format where its an issue.

Losing a few pieces is to be expected, no problem with that. Every event I've been to, squad mates pick up brass for each other. Goes quickly that way, and why not?
I do this for fun. Wouldn't sign up for an event that said I couldn't pick up my brass. Yeah, sure I'm cheap, but also rubs me the wrong way to have someone tell me I'm not 'allowed' to pick up brass.

I appreciate all the responses. Reading thru what others have posted I have realistic expectations heading into the 2019 season. It's easy to accept the loss of a few pieces, just part of the territory.

Likewise it's the shooter's choice as to whether to shoot a match if he knows going in that it'll be a lost brass match. Mammoth is a special case and doesn't represent what is usually encountered.

I also learned a bunch about the etiquette of picking up brass and assisting others so that was very helpful. Helps not to make too many rookie mistakes at those first matches.

I am hoping to shoot some local PRS soon and would be disappointed if we don't have time to pick up brass. I mean, how long can that take, especially if you team up and help each other out. For some it seems it is no big deal, but I would hate to lose a large percentage of brass, as that would add to the cost, which is already considerable.

Is the speed part of it so fast you can't keep from slinging brass all over creation?

I am hoping to shoot some local PRS soon and would be disappointed if we don't have time to pick up brass. I mean, how long can that take, especially if you team up and help each other out. For some it seems it is no big deal, but I would hate to lose a large percentage of brass, as that would add to the cost, which is already considerable.

Is the speed part of it so fast you can't keep from slinging brass all over creation?
Typically there is time to pick up your brass as long as you are quick about it. As to slinging brass everywhere, that is largely dependent upon your action style and the layout of the individual stages. Many, if not most stages require pretty quick action cycling, with as many as 10 rounds in 90 seconds, which typically includes multiple positions or barricades. So while 1 shot every 9 seconds doesn’t sound fast, the 90 seconds usually includes time to set the first shot and all transition times. So yeah, speed is quite important.

Lately there are more people using one of the controlled round feed actions. These will fling the brass pretty far if the action is cycled quickly and hard and where the brass lands varies considerably unless the action is cycled exactly the same each time.

Reactions: Walkalong
Gotcha, I came from a Benchrest background, no ejectors and 7 minutes to shoot a group. I have shot a couple of F-Class matches (300 yard reduced targets) at the local gun range and there was plenty of time to ease the brass out and drop it in a pouch etc. No re-positioning in either though.