• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

shoulder bump gauge alternative to Hornady

Re: shoulder bump gauge alternative to Hornady

Sinclair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n_l-bYxbg0

The insert will cost about $10.00, the body, about $15.00. If you want to measure loaded rounds also, get the XL body. Your 260 Rem insert can be used with all of the 308 based cartridges.

I have the Hornady and the Sinclair bump gauges, the Sinclair inserts are better.

A 40sw or 10mm case decapped will work in a pinch, the datum on the 308 family of cases is .400

Innovative Technologies has a good one that's very versatile, it uses a dial indicator on a stand to measure all cases and loaded rounds quite easily. The RCBS' Precision Case Mic also works well but it is cartridge specific.

For some reason my always chuckles when she hears me say "Bump gage".

L

Anyone know which family of bump gauge insert that 6.5x47 Lapua would be in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sinclair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n_l-bYxbg0

The insert will cost about $10.00, the body, about $15.00. If you want to measure loaded rounds also, get the XL body. Your 260 Rem insert can be used with all of the 308 based cartridges.

I have the Hornady and the Sinclair bump gauges, the Sinclair inserts are better.</div></div>

Do you know if the body from the hornady will fit the sinclair inserts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.larrywillis.com/

Works for all bottle neck cartridges. </div></div>

I saw that, it looks super-badass, but $90 seemed a bit much.

Yes, It will. I have a Hornady body and it works with the Sinclair inserts.

I like the sinclair insert because it contacts more of the shoulder (and at the right angle). Their bullet comparator inserts fit the hornady body also.

Redding also makes the "instant indicator" but it is caliber specific. I just bought one in 338LM. I will see how it works on a new lot of brass. I have the Hornady and the Sinclair already and was not fond of either but they both work just didn't see the repeatability I was looking for.
Sully

I prefer the RCBS Precision Mic because it has a number scale the will give you the headspace measurement of your case relative to SAAMI minimum. The 0 reading is SAAMI minimum headspace. For example, my LC94 Match cases fired in my GAP rifle measure at .001" under SAAMI minimum, so when I resize I try to bump the shoulder back no more than .002, but after sizing I just make sure that the resized case is at or less than 0 and I know they will chamber in any one of my 308 precision rifles.

Here's the instructions from the RCBS website.
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/PrecisionMic.pdf

I've found it's quicker to just snap the calipers shut with the comparator than using the instant indicator in the press. As such I don't use the redding indicator that much. Maybe I'm missing something...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know which family of bump gauge insert that 6.5x47 Lapua would be in?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.larrywillis.com/

I saw that, it looks super-badass, but $90 seemed a bit much. </div></div>

The scoop on this gauge is you do not have to buy any additional attachments to use it. It works for any caliber as is. You can also use it to measure in other ways like base of cartridge to ogive on the bullet.

I really like the Innovative Technologies (Larry Willis) gauge. It's easy to use and repeatable. $90 really isn't bad considering the Wilson gauges are $25 each and you need one for each family of cartridges. Larry got mine to me in less than 3 days (Florida to Washington State) and his customer service is great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.larrywillis.com/

I saw that, it looks super-badass, but $90 seemed a bit much. </div></div>

For a single cartridge the Innovative case tool is costly but it will do the job for any cartridge you want to stick under it which makes it very cost effective if you use it much.

Another vote for the RCBS precision mic, I just wish they had more caliber options. I have 1 for 308 and another for 223, could sure use a 260 version if they made it.