• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

Tell us how you really feel Tribe
smile.gif

Anyone know the BC of a rock? I'd like to start getting my drop chart set up.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not complaining about the rules, I'm just trying to understand exactly what they are. First we were told no magnums and now we're being told possibly nothing other than short action rifles. If that's the case then I need to shoot something other than what I was counting on shooting. Again, I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to get clarification so I can practice between now and the match with the rifle that I'm going to end up using.</div></div>

I'd imagine that a short action cartridge in a long action would be just fine to use....as long as it isn't a magnum.

It all comes down the shooter guys. Cartridges can only take you so far, then the pilot has to take over. Tribe is spot on....its all up to the match director. We are just along for the ride and have to play in the confines of their rules. Pretty soon we are going to have to start making different divisions like 3 gun and F Class.

That's awesome tribe! I love it!!!! LOL

Mr Scott, need any more AR500 steel donations for your match? Just let me know what you need!

Jake

Part of the rules changes are from years of putting these things on, and seeing what works, what fucks up a stage, and how to make things run faster/ safely. The idea behind the bolt gun only is safety. We (the RO) can see at a glance that the bolt is open and back while the shooter is transitioning from position to position. Scott's barricade 'trailer' is a prime example of the need for this. You cannot have a shooter moving from spot to spot efficiently with a semi in a safe manner.
Pretty simple really. Short action. Bolt gun. Non magnum.
Plan B: put on your own match with no rules.
I'll show up with my R Bros built 338 Lapua and break targets.
(you're welcome Travis)

I may be reading all this wrong but are some of us are getting confused about what rules for which match? If I have read Scott's posts correctly about a 308/223 match that is a maybe as part of a match he'd like to do in March. The short action, bolt action only post by Pat and followed up by Jim is in regards to the Findlay Cup. Am I confused?

As has been said let's appreciate the fact that both Scott and Jim are willing to spend there time, energy and money to put these on and maybe wait til the COF are put together to decide if we should get excited about the rules. At that point if we don't like the rules we take our ball's and go find somewhere else to play.

Scott is looking at doing a .223/.308 match, and is yet undecided if there will be a division for people who want to shoot other cartridges.

Jim's match (Findlay Cup) is apparently going to be short action non-magnum bolt gun only, though he hasn't specified if the rifle itself has to be a short action, or the cartridge simply has to be a short action non-magnum cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think you're confused at all. Seems you've read correctly grasshopper. </div></div>

Many thanks, as I easily get confused at times, I wanted to make sure I was clear on what the fuss is about
grin.gif

As I only have a magnum for comps, I really don't like the restrictions on my rifle. But I do understand why some match directors limit them. I've knocked down a few targets in my AO. I just try to make the stands as magnum proof as I can. So far I haven't had a target fall during a match. I'm going to try to get my Dpms scoped up but now some matches are bolt only, so I'll still be banned. Bummer. But its their match &they make the rules.Id like to get another match where the tgts are all far enough out that even a 338lm won't have the energy to knock the tgt over.But not everyone has a rifle that compete @those ranges, so someone else will not be able to play. Can't please everyone all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Part of the rules changes are from years of putting these things on, and seeing what works, what fucks up a stage, and how to make things run faster/ safely. The idea behind the bolt gun only is safety. We (the RO) can see at a glance that the bolt is open and back while the shooter is transitioning from position to position. Scott's barricade 'trailer' is a prime example of the need for this. You cannot have a shooter moving from spot to spot efficiently with a semi in a safe manner.
Pretty simple really. Short action. Bolt gun. Non magnum.
Plan B: put on your own match with no rules.
I'll show up with my R Bros built 338 Lapua and break targets.
(you're welcome Travis) </div></div>

No problem Jim,

Jesse and I could shoot our Edges also in those matches. We only have another 250fps over your Lapua with the 300's, and we already know what they do to steel!

Wow Travis, I did not know the edge was that big of a fps increase. Those rifles must have some serious power!!!!

I did shot my edge at some of my steel targets at 200 yards. Targets and stands were completely fine. The problem really is follow up shots on the same targets. The big 338s will spin the targets and it takes forever to get them stopped again.

Jim's rifle only has a 27" barrel also....but the Edge does have an increase over the Lapua. We run 300gr Bergers at 2950 with ours and still get really good case life. Most of the Lapua's I have built will run in the 2800-2825 range with the 300's in 30" barrels at "comfortable" pressures at case life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell us how you really feel Tribe
smile.gif

Anyone know the BC of a rock? I'd like to start getting my drop chart set up.....</div></div>

there is going to be two different classes one for guys with steel toe boots and one without.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all comes down the shooter guys. Cartridges can only take you so far, then the pilot has to take over. Tribe is spot on....its all up to the match director. We are just along for the ride and have to play in the confines of their rules. Pretty soon we are going to have to start making different divisions like 3 gun and F Class.</div></div>

these are words of wisdom, the longer you are in this game the more you realize its how you shoot not how the rifle shoots. Ballistics are really a small part of the game, knowing your rifle, trigger control, timing, being relaxed, practicing, practicing, practicing are all way more important. IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's awesome tribe! I love it!!!! LOL

Mr Scott, need any more AR500 steel donations for your match? Just let me know what you need!

Jake</div></div>

I can always use more steel that is something as a director you just cant get enough of. i would particularly like some larger plates around 66% ipsc or bigger, but i am not picky i will take what i can get.

Guys I have to say i do honestly care about your opinions on the way matches are run, however that doesn't mean i am willing change for every single request. sorry just not my style. I do think that if this is really a sport you are interested in having a 308 in the closet or a 308 barrel (what i am doing) is a good idea, if for no other reason than it is a great practice tool. The 308 will teach you more about what your doing wrong than the more ballistically advantagious cartridges. I shot 308 in 3 matches last year and i don't think it negatively effected my score in any of them. what effected my score the most was that crazy lump on top of my shoulders.

I am REALLY hoping that out of all this we get more guys that step up to the plate and decide to put on there own matches. Because like i always tell my kids

"DON'T WHINE ABOUT IT, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT"

if you don't like the restrictions, cof, location, easiest solution is to find good chunk of land, buy thousands of dollars in steel, spend hours making arrangements/emails, and set up your own match just the way you want it. If you do odds are i will be there rifle in hand ready to shoot whatever caliber it might be.

ONCE AGAIN I WOULD LIKE TO THANK JIM FINDLAY AND ALL THE GUYS THAT HELP HIM SET UP HIS MATCH. ALONG WITH ALL THE GUYS THAT HELP ME SET UP MINE!!! WITHOUT YOU GUYS WE COULDN'T GET IT DONE!!

RANT OFF

Well said Scott!

Also, I have 4 virgin 12"x12" AR500 plates I would be happy to let you use any time you need them. The bad part is I have them hung on chain, didn't have access to anything better.

I'm still planning on setting up a match out of Mazama next yr. There will be distances of up to about 1 mile between stages, & the COF will have long shots. So any rifle you wish to carry @ 5000' ASL all day (or two) is fine. Beautiful scenery too.
I'm also thinking of doing a SMALL comp with a stage where a stalk under observation is on the ticket. Just trying to figure out how it would all work. Obviously that one would have to be just a few people, as it takes a lot of time to stalk into position, & fire.
Also, as I have only fired 2 rnds in the last month, I NEED to go shooting this weekend. I'll be heading up to Acme on Sat, & possibly Sun as well.

Sorry about my last post fellas. I should have made it out a little more sarcastic. I didn't mean to sound all bitchy.
laugh.gif

I appreciate all of you who put on matches.

I am having Travis build me a 6.5X47 for my new match rifle, and before I had him start on it we discussed witch caliber to make it in so I can shoot most matches with it. I just have to laugh about it because I amost had him build me a 308 instead of the 6.5.

Gents, I was just down at The Marksman in Puyallup and found they are now offering Sigs under the LE/Mil discount program. He bought a bunch for the discount program but they're not moving very fast. Not sure if its lack of interest or the word isn't out. But if its something you're interested in, and you're either LE or military, they're about $100 bucks less. Just wanted to pass that along.....end shameless plug.

I have a buddy with a:
Glock 31, .357 , 2 mags (1 is High Cap), shot very little $400 cash.
Wenatchee area and on coast every other week.

im in the same boat as you brian, travis just finished my .260 that i had built specifically for matches....although i dont really care if matches are restricted to .308(im a match whore i want to shoot them all!
grin.gif
)...i just really want to shoot the rifle i had built.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have way to many crazy thoughts on exactly what we will be doing. Might have two divisions may not, might only be 308/223,hell there may be no restrictions. I will probably open it up for discussion after the match to all the shooters. </div></div>
Scott, if you do a .223/ 5.56 and 308/ 7.62 NATO only match I wouldn't fuck around with a separate "other chambering" portion.
And I'm not saying this just because I have an AR that shoots stupid accurate
cool.gif
It's just not worth the extra bull shit. It will fill up with the 2 chambering fast enough as is. Make it easy to set up, easy to understand C.O.F., easy to score, and challenging to shoot.

Anyone think a monthly tac rifle match would fly if it was done here in Wenatchee? I'd need at least 10 shooters per month to make it work I'm thinking. For most of the summer, I've tried having a monthly pistol practice/match and it just isn't gaining enough interest to make it worthwhile so I'm considering seeing if a rifle practice/match similar to what the NorCal guys do would fly? My thought is mix of paper and steel, max range of like 600-700 yards, and make it challenging position shooting and/or target selection. Thoughts??

I think it would be great BUT The price of gas from Yakima would kill me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone think a monthly tac rifle match would fly if it was done here in Wenatchee? I'd need at least 10 shooters per month to make it work I'm thinking. For most of the summer, I've tried having a monthly pistol practice/match and it just isn't gaining enough interest to make it worthwhile so I'm considering seeing if a rifle practice/match similar to what the NorCal guys do would fly? My thought is mix of paper and steel, max range of like 600-700 yards, and make it challenging position shooting and/or target selection. Thoughts?? </div></div>

if you are toying with my emotions that is for sure not cool!!! I would for sure be interested and can pretty much guarentee i would go to at least 6-8yr. this is exactly what washington needs to improve all of our skills as marksmen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hsss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it would be great BUT The price of gas from Yakima would kill me</div></div>

Hey I usually drive to Renton and/or Tri-Cities once a month for pistol matches so you'll get no sympathy from me! LOL.

And guys, I'm not just throwing this out there as a concept that'll never happen. I've got some of the details worked out and it's something myself and JTP have kicked around for a long time now. It just might finally be the right time to do it.

Entry fees would be cheap like $20, but I'm thinking it'd be best to require membership to the NCW Gun Club which would be another $65/year. That's a pretty small price to pay that everyone can afford and it'd cover my ass a lot more with insurance and crap if everyone was a member!

are you thinking first sunday of every month like the pistol matches?

i would also be down to help setup the day before unless there would be a problem with me knowing the COF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hsss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it would be great BUT The price of gas from Yakima would kill me </div></div>

You know you are always welcome to ride with me. I believe once I get the girl hooked I will be driving to every match we can make.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Entry fees would be cheap like $20, but I'm thinking it'd be best to require membership to the NCW Gun Club which would be another $65/year. That's a pretty small price to pay that everyone can afford and it'd cover my ass a lot more with insurance and crap if everyone was a member!</div></div>

so where do i send the check i will prepay for membership and 5 matches if it will help.

this would be so awesome just let me know how i can be the most useful in getting this going.

i like the way you think TSI! pay for matches before they exist!

how do i get on the list for all the shoots? wouldnt wanna miss one
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alan_H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like the way you think TSI! pay for matches before they exist!

wink.gif
</div></div>

nothing says i am serious more than putting your money where your mouth is and i can damn near guarentee that tribe, 264win, my buddy tyler, lucas would all be willing to do the same whatever i takes to get this going!!!

I like putting together fun cof and good matches, but i LOVE shootin and would prefer to shoot all the time

Yep, club membership would be very helpful. It eases up on liability, and helps when we shut down 1/2 the club when most of the shooters are members.
We have the mover that we can use for the matches as well.
We would entertain installing a second set of rails so we can have an optional local for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Entry fees would be cheap like $20, but I'm thinking it'd be best to require membership to the NCW Gun Club which would be another $65/year. That's a pretty small price to pay that everyone can afford and it'd cover my ass a lot more with insurance and crap if everyone was a member!</div></div>

I'd be down for doing that! Ideally,... and this is just me doing a dreamy "what-if?" scenario,... because I'm on the Wetside, I'd like to be able to drive over on a Saturday morning - maybe meet up with some fellow guys over here and car-pool/wagon-train over the mountains, then shoot starting around 10-11am 'til about 3-4pm then pack it up and head back. I like going over to Scott's shoots and enjoy the elaborate COF he always comes up with,... but the days start a little too early and end a little too late for a scenario that occurs as frequently as you're describing,... just a thought. but I'm down for that,... just let us know how you want to proceed (entry fee / membership / etc.) and we can get 'er done

Ry

I'm down for at least a few matches a year. It would be awesome to see stages like the one stage at Jim's match in July where we had all that steel out from 50 to like 300 yards. That was a ton of fun.

Also, would this be a carbine only match, or would we be shooting bolt guns for the 600-700 yard stuff that you mentioned? I think a carbine/bolt gun match would be great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alan_H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like the way you think TSI! pay for matches before they exist!

wink.gif
</div></div>

nothing says i am serious more than putting your money where your mouth is and i can damn near guarentee that tribe, 264win, my buddy tyler, lucas would all be willing to do the same whatever i takes to get this going!!!

I like putting together fun cof and good matches, but i LOVE shootin and would prefer to shoot all the time </div></div>

im with you! i would shoot veryday if i could, and shooting a matche once a month would just be icing on the cake!

I'm in.... Hopefully you'll still have pistol matches too, maybe pistol one month/rifle the next. It's a shame that the pistol matches didn't take off, I told a bunch of people about them.
Ephrata used to have matches the first weekend of the month, pistol every time and side match of pistol or carbine on alternate months.
We need a shotty stage too, my FN is gathering dust!
If we had them on Sunday, might be higher attendance. Wetsiders could drive over Saturday and we could party/male bond/drink like fishes.
PM me next time you're headed out for a match, I might could ride along again.

1911fan

Where do I send the check ?
I am all for more matches, would love to see the northwest become more match friendly .

Let's see, pay off C/C debt, three kids in post secondary education, save for retirement or shoot?

Where do I send the check?

Now I really gotta get on the stick and get set up to reload!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blurry6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Entry fees would be cheap like $20, but I'm thinking it'd be best to require membership to the NCW Gun Club which would be another $65/year. That's a pretty small price to pay that everyone can afford and it'd cover my ass a lot more with insurance and crap if everyone was a member!</div></div>

I'd be down for doing that! Ideally,... and this is just me doing a dreamy "what-if?" scenario,... because I'm on the Wetside, I'd like to be able to drive over on a Saturday morning - maybe meet up with some fellow guys over here and car-pool/wagon-train over the mountains, then shoot starting around 10-11am 'til about 3-4pm then pack it up and head back. I like going over to Scott's shoots and enjoy the elaborate COF he always comes up with,... but the days start a little too early and end a little too late for a scenario that occurs as frequently as you're describing,... just a thought. but I'm down for that,... just let us know how you want to proceed (entry fee / membership / etc.) and we can get 'er done

Ry </div></div>

This is a good concept for something that would be as frequent as you are suggesting Jesse... at least, if you want to fill up spots with wet-siders...

I'd imagine, if it developed into that frequent of an event, that the "crew that be" would be eager to mix it up with pistols or AR's or what have you.

I know I'd attend as many as possible.... and that count would definitely be UP, if it could be pulled off as a reasonable day-trip!

OK, I'll try to address all the questions/comments....
*Matches would tentatively be the first Sunday of each month, which is currently when the monthly pistol match is scheduled which will likely be scrapped or become a side match

*The matches would be relatively short, probably around 50-60 round COFs and the idea would be to start around 9-10am and finish up around 2-3pm. That part is pretty flexible, but I'd like to keep these short and sweet since they're not a major match. I'm thinking something similar to the NorCal monthly long range matches. (http://www.ncpprc.com/2011_ALL_3_COFs.pdf)

*As far as sending checks and all that....just hang on to your money for now and we'll collect everything and do the membership stuff at the first match. It looks like this will have a decent following so I'll try my best to get something together for the first Sunday in January.

*It could very easily be turned into sort of a "series", as I'll be keeping track of all the scores digitally anyway. Let's see how things go for awhile and get the process down first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have way to many crazy thoughts on exactly what we will be doing. Might have two divisions may not, might only be 308/223,hell there may be no restrictions. I will probably open it up for discussion after the match to all the shooters. </div></div>
Scott, if you do a .223/ 5.56 and 308/ 7.62 NATO only match I wouldn't fuck around with a separate "other chambering" portion.
And I'm not saying this just because I have an AR that shoots stupid accurate
cool.gif
It's just not worth the extra bull shit. It will fill up with the 2 chambering fast enough as is. Make it easy to set up, easy to understand C.O.F., easy to score, and challenging to shoot.
</div></div>

I agree with this, most everyone has or should have a 308 or 223 or at least has access to one. This sounds like it would be a really fun match. I like the idea of having everyone on the same two calibers. Not to be a whiner and I'm always one to try and get an advantage too, but there is a difference when competing in the comps with a 308 vs the powerful magnums. even between 223 and 308. The 308's shoot 500yds like a 223 at 300.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alan_H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im in the same boat as you brian, travis just finished my .260 that i had built specifically for matches....although i dont really care if matches are restricted to .308(im a match whore i want to shoot them all!
grin.gif
)...i just really want to shoot the rifle i had built.
wink.gif
</div></div>

That could be a new team name "Team Match Whore"