• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cleaning my rifle as we speak</div></div>

You're supposed to clean them???
confused.gif

Hey you're supposed to be working today. I stopped out to check out the business cards and you weren't there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys should all check this thread out and support the cause by taking a little time and writing some letters to your representatives.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2288539#Post2288539

CJG</div></div>

Thanks for the heads-up Rotor! Hadn't heard a thing about this....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PhOnEpHrEaK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just wondering how someone can get into 3 gun comps, and if there are any in Western WA? </div></div>

Yes there are a few, Kitsap rifle and revolver does one every year and I know there is one or two on the seattle side and down in portland also. Its been a couple years since I researched them, but they do happen. Kitsaps is usually in August, not sure on what requirements they have to enter.

CJG

For those going up to the shoot in Ellensburg, any of you guys gonna meet up at that restaurant 'Perkins' we met at last time? I could use a ride into the 'hinter-lands' i.e. the course-of-fire as I'm driving a car, not a 4x4. I'll only have my drag-bag and camera-bag,... coffee pot, pop-corn machine, a keg of beer,... just kidding,... but I would definitely be interested in getting ride up the hill if at all possible. I'll meet you where ever you are, just let me know where and when you want me there. Thanks!

Ryan

Hi Ryan, I'd be happy to pick you up as long as you'll share the keg! I'm going to try and be to E'bur by about 8:30. Send me a pm with a cell phone in case there's any issues on the way over.

Mike

Blury6. I sent you a PM about a pick up. And for any others that may need it. I'll be going up on Fri afternoon, & can drive back into town for pick up if needed. PM me & I'll get you my cell#.
Shouldn't need it. Weather is calling for rain, & temps around 40*

well i am heading out in the morning so if you have any questions call me on my cell or email tonight. see you guys there.

scott
cell 360 632 6482

Depending on your idea of "morning", I'll be right behind you. I'm planing on leaving town about 10:00 +/-.
Oh, BTW. My camera crew bailed on us, but I'll bring my camera, & cam-corder anyway.

Thanks guys! Mike said he'd be dropping by "Perkin's Restaurant" so I think I'm covered. I'll bring my camera pack. It's not a true video cam but it's a pretty nice little SLR that can record video - I'll have to charge that other battery. See you up there!

Ryan

For those of you who are going to show up in Ellensburg on Sat morning, I have to warn you the last strip of primitive road is pretty slushy. Jake made it with has car pulling a trailer, I'm not quite sure how he did it, but as it thaws it just might get worse. You might want to ride share into the match area.
There is about 6-8 inches of wet snow on the ground, so you might consider bringing rain gear, as we will have to lay and sit on the wet snow.
There are a handful of guys that are staying the night, so feel free to get there early to check out the course layout.
There might be a chance to earn some extra points for the match if you bring Scott S some hot coffee. LOL
Hope to see you all there tomorrow.
SScott

Sorry to horn in on your thread here, gentlemen, but I wanted to reach out to you guys. I live in Seattle and am new, VERY new, to this whole thing.

Long distance shooting has always fascinated me, but I have next to zero experience. I was hoping that maybe a couple of you guys in the area would be willing to be patient with a new kid, maybe let him tag along on a practice day or something and see if you couldn't hook him a little further into the whole long range thing.

Thoughts?

Just wanted to say thanks again to Diggler for putting on a great match! Enjoyed it a lot, was a great challenge and was great to get my feet wet in the sport on a competitive level.

I learned I have a lot to learn and look forward to more learning experiences.

TwoLeftThunbs, welcome aboard. I'm a newbie too, there's a great group of guys here. I'm sure you will learn a lot by getting involved here.

Thanks Scott: It was a lot of fun and had a great time, weather held better than i thought it was going to. Gun ran good and had some great shots /and really bad shots (sorry hostage gal):)

Slowly learning names and faces, and am sure to shoot with you again soon.

Welcome aboard TwoLeftThumbs

some pictures will be up soon

Another Thanks to Scott for putting together a great match, and allowing a group of fine shooters to get together and compete.
Being my first match, I feel that I learned a lot, and after reviewing my scorecard and hostage target (sorry, it was only an ear) this morning I wrote on the back of it the fundementals that I will work on.
I have to really hand it to Jake for scoring so high using a borrowed rifle designed to be shot from the opposite side, and he gives me faith in the lowley .308 round.
Great shooting with you all, and I look foreward to more shoots in the future.
SScott

Twoleftthumbs... welcome aboard... new guys have always been welcome at any of the "informal" shoots we put together... and often times, match directors are looking for extra hands... stick around, and opportunities will definitely pop up.

Group... what a blast! Nothing like rolling around in 6" of packed slush for 8 or 9 hours, while breathing in the sweet smell of burnt powder, and enjoying the lovely tone of ringing steel.... No better way to spend a day!
grin.gif

As always, great to see the familiar faces, and makes some new friends... the best thing about these things, is the people who attend them, in my experience, are always GTG!

Diggs, thanks again... great job! Can't wait for the next one.... we still need a name...
whistle.gif

guys that came this saturday thanks for coming i hope everbody had a good time. I am fairly new to putting events like this together so there is bound to be some road bumps along the way.

If any of you guys have any constructive critism or want to complain about something feel free either on here or you could pm me.

I had hoped on taking lots of pics but it didn't happen so if you have some pics or video please send me some or post some i would love to see them.

thanks again to all that came, especially those of you that helped setup.

Thanks again, Diggler! That was a really good Saturday! Here are some of the pics I took during the day, check 'em out.

The pre-shoot meeting: going over the course or fire, and general BSing in general,... Scott reviewing the rules from his throne.
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20006.jpg

Wide shot of the group going over the course of fire
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20013.jpg

The Barricade Stage - two shots from each position starting at the bottom and working your way up. ROUND COUNT: 8 shots total, TIME LIMIT: 2-min 30-sec. One of the many creative obstacles Diggler put together for the shoot,... it looks easier than it is.
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20031.jpg

Diggler%27s_Shoot%20034.jpg

Diggler%27s_Shoot%20035.jpg

Diggler%27s_Shoot%20036.jpg

Diggler%27s_Shoot%20038.jpg

Here's the Obstacle Stage - shooting at a bank of three targets. You start by shooting 3 rounds (1 at each target) from the right side of the obstacle (barrel) right-handed, 3 rounds from on top of the barrel with your preferred strong/weak hand, then 3 rounds from the left side of the obstacle left-handed. Total rounds fired: 9 / Time Limit: 2-minutes
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20045.jpg

Shooting from the back of a pickup truck at some targets.
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20049.jpg

Here's a shot of the 'audience' spotting hits and watching the clock as a competitor shoots a stage. This pic might look intimidating, but everyone is really encouraging and supportive,... just a really good group of people.
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20051.jpg

some more antics from the audience
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20052.jpg

Diggler%27s_Shoot%20062.jpg

Diggler%27s_Shoot%20063.jpg

While the weather was better than expected, the facilities left a little to be desired
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20069.jpg

Diggler%27s_Shoot%20067.jpg

I'm not sure that's Scott's truck, but Scott, always the giver, cleans a little slush off this Cherokee's hub cap - thanks Scott!

Jake, cleaning up brass after shooting a stage
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20081.jpg

Marty getting ready to send it
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20071.jpg

While EXTREMELY hard to find through a scope, the targets generally well-built, hardened steel hangers,... but even then, we shot a few off their hangers
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20028.jpg

Which leads to the next few images. Scott, took the time to jump on the 4-wheeler and attend to a target that had fallen (read: shot) off during the competition,... this garnered the attention of the local authorities, who quickly showed up to write Scott up a ticket

Officer Fife: "You know it's illegal to operate an off-road vehicle, off-road in Washington, don't you?"
Scott: "I wasn't aware of that, officer"
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20030.jpg

Scott's body language says it all in this photo,... somethin' along the lines of, "You gotta be #*!$ing kidding me!" Thanks for taking the fall, Scott!
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20032.jpg

Mike keeping track of another competitors scorecard during a stage
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20073.jpg

Not too many restaurants around this area, so contestants had take measures to supply their own
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20054.jpg

Diggler%27s_Shoot%20055.jpg

Scott, breakin' down a rifle at the end of a great day:
Diggler%27s_Shoot%20009.jpg

Guys,

got this note from a match coordinator in Oregon. Told me to pass this info along.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On 12 February, Tri-county Gun club will be having the February (also one in August) precision rifle match. Some shooters mistakenly refer to it as a sniper match, but it is run mainly by and for civilians, so although some military or LE snipers may be there, it is mostly civilians.

I didn't know who to contact in Washington to let you folks know you are welcome to attend and shoot, so I just picked your name out of the Washington contact list.

More information is on page 1 of the contact member section in a thread titled "Long Range in OR". Feel free to contact me via PM or email if you would like more info. It is a really fun match, and a good bunch of people to shoot with. There is some info posted in the ORHTF section or ARFcom as well.

Let me know if I can help out. Feel free to pass the word along.</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...451#Post2297451

ryan awesome pics man especially the one of me taking a piss damn near on marty's tires. who would of known you can't take a 4-wheeler ripping through state land with no helmet on and no tabs. I guess i got off pretty easy with only one written violation. never mind the fact the officer wanted to talk to me about long range shooting for 20mins afterwards.

tribe thanks again for the help in taking care of the ticket as always you are a stand up guy and a great competitor.

guys i am thinking i will try and run this again sometime late feb. to early march so let me know what dates work best for you guys.

had a great time with really good people

thankyou scott and ron and all the other ro's for making this happen

I'm not a match coordinator anymore...I'm just one of the shooters. I thought some of you might be interested, hence the heads up about the match. I have shot in quite a few of these matches at Tri-county, so I have a reasonable idea of what to prepare for. However, as the match is a surprise, the best idea is to do your normal practicing. Here are a couple of more hints that may help. I say hints because these are things that have popped up in the past. Even the match director doesn't know what the stages will specifically be until the Friday before the match when they set up.

We simply don't know the configuration of the gravel pit until the rock crushing crews are done on Friday afternoon. Then, based on the configuration of the pit, we set up the stages. Actually, it works out well, because the people who do the best are those who practice the most varied shooting in training...as it should be.

It appears that no one has been able to win the match through what I call an "arms race". By that I mean, shooting skill usually does best. Just because someone is fortunate enough to have a $4000 rifle with a $3000 scope on it and shoot Federal GMM ammo, doesn't mean they will win. Four times in the past, the match has been won by someone shooting a box stock Remington 700 PSS with a Leupold 3-9 hunting scope on it. The fanciest modification was a finger adjustable elevation turret. Twice, the scope didn't even have a parallax adjustment..

1. Know your trajectory. Have a good come up chart.
2. Be able to shoot from positions other than prone with a bi-pod. There is
usually some kind of support available though..seldom is offhand required.
Odd barricades, uncomfortable positions, shooting while wedged into rocks
wouldn't surprise me at all.
3. Know how to do well in a "know your limits" kind of stage
4. Know how to use a range card
5. If your rifle often shoots half minute accuracy, don't count on it. Count on
your rifle shooting the worst groups you usually get when you are having a
bad day practicing. This will keep you thinking about what you can hit EVERY
time. Rather than expecting to hit a quarter sized target at 100 yards, count
on being grateful to hit a tennis ball.
6. Shooting eggs, or golf balls at odd distances won't surprise me. Whatever
you do, don't count on even distances line 25, 50, 75, 100 yards and so on.
Figure on weird distances like 37, 59, 67, 83, 119 and so on. If you can't
get your trajectory, you can easily miss...especially if the targets are down or
up hill.

Lasers, binoculars and so on are allowed. Most fellows will be happy to share gear if you don't have it with you.

Although competitive, the people there don't like "king of the hill" types, and prefer a cooperative, friendly competition. The goal is for all of us to learn and become better shooters. It isn't an IPSC type shoot...you don't get to walk through, or practice the stages ahead of time. They want to see how well you fare on a truly spontaneous shooting skill test. It is a very friendly bunch of people to shoot with.

Hey Unknown!

Thanks for the info! Can you give me an idea of where this event takes place i.e. nearby town/city? Just wondering,... My Mom and a Sister live in Roseburg, so I was thinkin' of coordinating a visit to see them and possibly get in on this shoot. Let me know.

Ryan

Tri-County Gun Club Sherwood, OR
TCGC.org
Click on calendar for info.

Diggler44 and crew shot this match with us last year. He can post his experience. I wouldn't drive more than an hour or two to shoot. Longest distances are usually around 5-600 yards. Some good good guys run the match. They try to keep it moving but back-ups happen because of the range configuration. Last year it was not a high round count match. I think in was around 40. Be there by 8:30, ends around 3:00.

Hey guys;

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">I am up in Bellingham and am in desperate need of 100 175SMK's. Anybody near me have a box they could sell? If you can help, please PM me. I have a couple guys left to call up here, so I'll follow up if I find some.</span>Thanks!

Found some! Thanks Mike!

Stu! You should join us some time... it would be good to see you again.

Nice looking rifle..... that would work mighty fine for someone in need of a "carbine" for the Findlay....
wink.gif

Ryan- nice pics and writeup on the Ellensburg shoot. I really enjoyed attending, and I plan on shooting at the next one. It was nice meeting those that attended(I'll only probably remember half of the names), and thanks Scott for putting on the shoot. The weather was DAMN good for Ellensburg in January. I gotta get out and shoot before the next one, and get better dope for my rifle.

Craig

Tribe,
I would love get out there with you guys.
Unfortunately my schedule sucks and my boss is an A$$hole :)

I'll probably be at the Kettle Falls match stuck as an RSO....again.

Stu

Yeah... I've met your boss.... you've got a point!
wink.gif

Well, if not 'till kettle falls, we'll see ya' then!

Nice pics Ryan, thanks for taking the time to get some great photos. Nice work, good shooting too!!!

Scott you put on a great match and all the stages were inventive and challenging. I enjoyed the transition from the hostage to the truck to the hangers the best I believe. The only thing that I can think off to make things a little more difficult is having the distances alitle off kilter, like 180 on the hanger, 620 instead of 600, etc, if you catch my drift. It was great to see everyone out there, Tribe you are a gentleman, thanks for stepping up to the plate and taking care of Scott's ticket, as for late Feb or early March I should be in. I am hoping to go down to Sherwood on Feb 12 as well, so anytime after that is great, a late Feb, early March match would be a great warm up for the Plumbers cup. Ryan great job on the photos and write up, Scott can piss on my truck anyday as long as he continues to put on these matches Thanks again Scott for all the hard work and a great match.
Marty
ps Tyler if you get to read this, got a dog Sunday afternoon

Hey, guys when is the next informal shoot. I'm a rookie to precision bolt guns, I have a 700p in .223 and I'm in the middle of a .300wm build. I'd like to get some trigger time with some of you more seasoned folks. I'm in the Lacey area but I'll drive if you guys will tolerate bad shooting and rookie questions. I'd like to do some competitions, eventually...

Diggler-I'd be in for the next shoot as part of my <span style="font-weight: bold">continuing education program...</span>

Well It seams like there is more and more interest in tactical long range matches. so i was wondering how much interest there would be in having a year long series of matches were you would accumulate points towards prizes at the end of the year. This is currently just a pipe dream for next year but if the interest is there i might be able to make it happen. I am currently thinking 4-6 matches all scored the same, each match would have cash prizes and hopefully there would be vendor donated prizes at the end of the series. I was thinking entry into each match would be between $40-60 with half the entry going back into the prize money for individual matches.

I would obviously work around the dates for the findlay cup and kettle falls because those are premier wa matches and i personally will be shooting in them also.

Let me know your thoughts on this good or bad?

Scott Stuurmans
[email protected]
cell 360 632 6482