Side charging uppers?

kl7883

Private
Belligerents
Feb 28, 2010
i have 2 of the gibbz side charge uppers, they are my 2 45acp ars. after researching a little.........i found the uppers are 6061 instead of 7075. i like them on pistol calibers. just wont be using them on rifles

Yondering

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2017
Skagit Valley, WA
I'm kind of surprised that with all the people that put optics on an AR that there aren't more side chargers out there. I've always thought the rear charge was a PITA with optics. But, no one ever seems to talk about them.
Optics don't make the rear charging handle a problem, most of us have figured out to just pinch the handle from the side. Seems like all the complaints about this are from people insisting on trying to put one finger on each side of the charging handle; that's operator error rather than a hardware issue. It's not that hard to operate from the side, and then it doesn't matter if the rifle has optics or not.

I like my side chargers as much as the next guy, but the complaint about optics is unnecessary.

coyotewillie

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
NE
Your opinion. And I sure value that! Just consider Quigley's answer..."never said I couldn't use one, just don't care for em".

Frankr

Private
Belligerents
Aug 15, 2012
WEST
I have a gibbz and it’s pretty good but heavy.

JP rifled scr-11 would probably be one of the best.

ADCOR industries makes one that has the charging handle on the handguard but they never made a longer handguard so I stopped looking at them.

LWRC repr is great also.