• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sig 716 3 Gun vs M1A Scout

warpig602

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ive searched and found some threads on the subject but most were geared towards the 716 Patrol, not the 3Gun/PM.....

I was pretty much set on the 716 for months but now that its time to pullthe tigger Im rethinking...or over thinking.

When I put it on paper, the M1A looks like a clear winner. Ive owned both a National MAtch and SOCOM 16 in the past but have no experience with the 716.

Here is what ive compiled for both:

M1A
Pros:
-Price,350.00 less
-Weight, 2lbs lighter
-Parts, replacement/aftermarket parts readily avaialble

Pros:
-Trigger, should be GTG out of the box
-Receiver, pretty much universal so switching calibers down the road should be easy enough
-Supressor ready, should I decide to move back home where I can have those.

Unknown:
-Out of the box accuracy, generally speaking
-Reliability, nver had an issue with either of my M1A but never realyl ran them hard or dirty Eek

Anything Im missing or havent considered?

Generally, people like the M1A more for the aesthetic appearance. I fall into that category. I don't know of too many people though that prefer to compete with an M1A over an AR-10 type platform.

Ive searched and found some threads on the subject but most were geared towards the 716 Patrol, not the 3Gun/PM.....

I was pretty much set on the 716 for months but now that its time to pullthe tigger Im rethinking...or over thinking.

When I put it on paper, the M1A looks like a clear winner. Ive owned both a National MAtch and SOCOM 16 in the past but have no experience with the 716.

M1A
Pros:
-Price,350.00 less
-Weight, 2lbs lighter

Pros:
-Receiver, pretty much universal so switching calibers down the road should be easy enough

Unknown:
-Reliability, nver had an issue with either of my M1A but never realyl ran them hard or dirty Eek

Is this for three gun heavy comps? Or general shooting and plinking?

I have both, enjoy both, and both shoot well. But, for the sheer enjoyment of pulling the (shitty) trigger, the M1A is hands down my favorite.

M1A
Pros:
-Price,350.00 less
-Weight, 2lbs lighter

Pros:

Unknown:

If you're in a free state get a 16" 308 AR that doesn't weigh a ton and has a good barrel + trigger, if you're in a ban state like me the scout is a bit easier to live with plus it sounds like you have experience with M1As so you know what you're getting into.

Also if you are looking for an M1A I know where you can get a nice one for 1700, PM me if you're interested.

If you're in a free state get a 16" 308 AR that doesn't weigh a ton and has a good barrel + trigger, if you're in a ban state like me the scout is a bit easier to live with plus it sounds like you have experience with M1As so you know what you're getting into.

Also if you are looking for an M1A I know where you can get a nice one for 1700, PM me if you're interested.

What makes it a nice one? Kentucky gun has the standard model for under 1300 nib.

Last edited:
If you want the trigger on a m1a to truly shine , send it to Hook Bouton.

Last edited: