• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig Sauer P226 Combat

yeahkkyle

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
US
I have a Sig Sauer P226 Combat that I keep in an Uncle Mikes holster. It recently got wet from my window being down in my car and after I pulled it out the trigger guard and part of the rail is like corroded. Anyone else have this problem ever or any ideas? I don't know what could have caused this. I'm a little frustrated...

16h9k01.jpg

dba0n.jpg

4kpdf.jpg

I'm going to contact Sig about this but I don't see an email to reach them at and send them pictures but I will call them after the holiday.

Thanks.

Re: Sig Sauer P226 Combat

Unless you are gonna display on the fireplace why worry about it .I had the same model ,and had it in the swamps,an floorboard of the truck ,and other not so good places without cleaning ,and didnt have any problems like that .

sig has pretty good customer service, maybe try taking some better pics if it bothers you that much and send em pics and see what they say.

I'm not worried in the fact that it does not affect the function one bit. Its just the fact that I paid $1,000+ for a pistol and it got wet and the frame has pit marks??? I love everything about this pistol and its not just a show piece that I sit around. I use/carry this pistol all the time but makes me a little mad that happened. I just want to see what they have to say about it.

Be sure to post up, what Sig is going to do. I curious about this issue.

I agree Sig needs to fix that. But i would like to know what your gun was doing in an unattended car with the window rolled down? Kind of irresponsible, remember if someone took it you would have armed another bold criminal.

Not to lecture, Sig needs to fix that and there are many answers that are understandable.

I live in the middle of no where with no neighbors so I do not lock my car doors or the house, never had a problem. The car was sitting at my house, the window was cracked and not all the way down. I leave the gun between my door and drivers seat in my civic, has a nice little channel for it to sit in. Its not always in there just sitting. Nothing else was done to it. I just pulled it out of the holster and it had the pit marks on it. Nothing else was spilled on it.

Sigs are the Ferrari of sidearms. Don't worry about a little corrosion. Cll it character. That gun will go bang every time you pull the trigger, and print clover leafs.

damn, was it acid rain?? use some steel wool and remove as much of the rust as possible, rub some oil in the pitted area. make sure holster is dry and put sig back in it.
voila, looks good again.
Cheers.

Is that frame aluminum or steel? If aluminum it wouldn't be water.. unless it was some super acid rain. Damn! Not sure how many parts acid/water would take to do that damage.. I'd think pretty high. Good luck with Sig brother.

Any word on what sig has said about it ?Just interested about what their cs is about .

disconcerting. is that an aluminum frame?

I'm anal about maintenance, my X5 Tactical has an aluminum frame and though I clean it religiously after ever use, I use it hard and it gets wet and muddy frequently as well. I'm interested to hear what Sig Sauer has to say about it.

All Sigs have aluminum frames with the exception of just a few models (Sig Pro and P250 are the polymer guns and then there are stainless models also)

I'm curious as to what Sig will do about this also. I live near the ocean and my P228 has been exposed to salt air in the open in a holster, since purchased new in 91 (KA date code) and has no pitting in the frame. Only issue I have is that the anodizing has worn off in some areas.

Sorry it took so long to reply, hectic last week and didn't get a chance to call Sig. I finally got the chance today and the customer service representative sent me an email to reply to with pictures of the pistol, serial number, and my contact information. He said he will send the email over to their gunsmiths and usually within 24hrs they will reply. Once I get some more information I will keep you informed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All Sigs have aluminum frames with the exception of just a few models (Sig Pro and P250 are the polymer guns and then there are stainless models also)</div></div>

The frame is Alloy.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">..." <span style="font-style: italic">that I keep in an Uncle Mikes holster</span>."</span></span>
---
wet & holstered in Uncle Mikes ( soft fabric ) holster ?

Water with Alloy chassis is no biggie but ...
May not be only the water . but the water is the activator with the Holster material ?
( Possibly ) is a mix with what Dye or Chems. that are in the fabric of the Holster ? . that when wet are activated & interact with finish of metal to attack & pit .

Schmooookin? It might be acid rain coming down from high on top the piles of coal tailings.

Seriously, that ain't a truck gun by a long shot. You want something to abuse, I suggest letting something else sit out there in all sorts of weather.

The sig is a lot easier to carry around then my ruger super redhawk .44 mag with 9" barrel. I don't live in shamokin, actually over the mountain from town.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gunsmith said that there is nothing that we’ll be able to do to refinish your pistol and that we usually see damage like that to the anodizing after a gun has been submerged for a long period of time (flood, boating, etc.).</div></div>

I got an email back from Sig today. The gun is 3 years old so I knew I was out there but just wanted to see what they had to say. I don't see how sitting in a holster for maybe 8-10 hrs being wet would have caused this, not like I threw it in a 5gal bucket of water for a month... I guess I just keep it oiled well in the pitting marks and keep firing it.

Did it have or does it usually have a Surefire on it?

It looks like all the contact points are the same as if it had a light.

Perhaps there was moisture or sweat that you were unawar of.

I've never had anything attached to the rail.

i just bought a sig 220 combat last night and hope to make it my everything go-to gun.

my thoughts are didnt sig perform a large amount of time salt water imersion test on this thing and it passed with flying colors? if salt water didnt do that i have hard time believing rain water and a holster would...