• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig SSG 3000 Patrol 18"

The original SSG3000 were also 1-12 twist so maybe they are just using all the ones they have left over. But it don't really matter between the 12, 11, 10 twist for the 308. I do wish they would come out with the conversions they would sell like crack! They already make them, all they have to do is just import them into the USA. OH well some day...

I shot an OCW with AR-COMP and Nosler 168 CC's in LC LR brass today. I am far from being a good shooter so I will provide the target pic along with some commentary and let everyone decide for themselves what the rifle is capable of and what I am capable of. These are all 4 round groups (I load 4 in case I mess up one shot in a group, today I just shot all 4). All groups are measured by smallest 3 and all 4. You decide which is appropriate.

Group 1 - Low right was the first round of the string after sighters, I may have been a bit out of position.
Group 2 - I accidently switched two rounds in the box (had to do with a round being difficult to chamber due to excess headspace and when I replaced it I put it back in the wrong damn spot). I would put an x to indicate where this charge weight from the next group landed, but that part of the paper was gone.
Group 3 - Switch the round from the previous group with this one and I still have one round high. Probably me.
Group 4 - Third round of four was a called flier. No bones about it, that was me pushing that shot.
Group 5 - Last round also a called flier - it was the last round of the day I knew before I even pulled the trigger I didn't have the concentration for it. I took it anyway.

Looking objectively, I think 41.6 and 42.0 seem to have the same point of impact, with 42.4 being not far off. Going to fire a 10 round group with 2 rounds in .2 increments from 41.6 to 42.4 to see what kind of group I get (charge weight sensitivity) and a 10 round group at 42.0 (accuracy).

Just be aware that Sauer are offering a budget version of the 202/SSG3000 , called the 101 , and its about 1/2 the price , from what I have heard its not got the quick barrel change feature , so just be very aware of this , as some of the cheap SSG3000s may be built on this action ?

Have heard some of the Brits saying they donot like them ( 101s ) .

Later Chris

I can confirm this rifle is built on an action with barrel/caliber conversion capabilities. The directions are in the instruction manual

A few persons have mentioned that this rifle may not be ideal for long range because of the rails. Does anyone know a fix for this? I'm interested in this model, but I'm afraid I don't understand those limitations.

They're referring to the 0 MOA built in rail on this rifle. Depending on the optic you have, you may not have enough adjustments for shooting at targets past 800m. You can by pass this by getting a scope with more adjustments or getting a scope mount with a slight cant

I fondled one of these in my local Walmart, of all places. Seems like a nice rifle and $1497 seems like a good deal for the features it offers. Walmart also had 175 gr Gold Medal, which also caught my attention. $25.97/ box is a bit steep, but they had a pretty good stack of it. They also had the American Eagle 168 OTM for $19 a box.

I fondled one of these in my local Walmart, of all places. Seems like a nice rifle and $1497 seems like a good deal for the features it offers. Walmart also had 175 gr Gold Medal, which also caught my attention. $25.97/ box is a bit steep, but they had a pretty good stack of it. They also had the American Eagle 168 OTM for $19 a box.

Damn you have one bad ass Walmart! Mine only has fat fu*king retards in it and no ammo at all...

Damn you have one bad ass Walmart! Mine only has fat fu*king retards in it and no ammo at all...

I went in again this week. The SSG was gone but they had 9 AR-15's and had also gotten in a stash of Federal Gold Medal 300 Win Mag, some 9mm and 5.56.

But still no 22LR. Will that crap ever come in?

Saw this posted further up\ and just wanted to shed some light on the actions.

**Just be aware that Sauer are offering a budget version of the 202/SSG3000 , called the 101 , and its about 1/2 the price , from what I have heard its not got the quick barrel change feature , so just be very aware of this , as some of the cheap SSG3000s may be built on this action ?**

Just to clarify the Sauer 101 is a totally different action. Just like the new budget Mauser, it's not meant for barrel changes.
It can be done, but as with fx the Steyr SSG rifles, the action/ barrel is not threaded, but heated/chilled and pressed in place, the bolt lug lockup, is located inside the barrel so would be quite a task to machine a new one and replace it, and thread the action.

The Sauer 202 action is neither the same as the SSG 3000. It's a different design in general, usually comes with a 2 piece stock and the same barrel change system.

The Sauer 200 action is the one that's used in the SSG 3000, same as the 200 STR (Scandinavian Target RIfle).
The commericals says new actio ndesign but at least externally it looks identical, except for the safety.
The big difference sems to be a shabby looking stock modeled after the McM, and a new type of muzzle break (threaded?).
The price on the original SSG 3000 was quite steep to begin with, as the 200 STR is the exact same rifle only with a laminate stock, and no barrel internal muzzle break. Is about half the prize just as the new SSG 3000 Patrol.
The 200's are solid rifles, have shot quite a few of these and they have all beenn solid 0.5 moa or better performers, considering the prize being just slightly above a 700 LTR, it's a no brainer when looking for a quality weapon around here.

Depending on what you get Sauer to import to the US there are quite a few aftermarket parts for these rifles.
Replacement barrels of good quality for a fair prize, If you want a outstanding barrel Border makes it on request.
22 LR converions are made by Sauer.
There's 2 different trigger units with different adjustable pull weights.
Iron sights' mirage bands, bolt handles etc.

Last edited:
I picked up one of these from Reed's also (the 24 in version). I got my scope mounted and got a zero yesterday at 100 yards. I had some rounds that a friend loaded for me 165gr Nosler Ballistic tip 41.0gr IMR 4895 shooting off of a backpack. (I need to get a rail from accu-shot for my atlas). The first target is the factory one that came with the rifle. The second is 7 shots. The rifle shoots, I need lots of practice and a longer range.

A quick question for those that have these rifles. Do any of you have an AI or AICS stock also? Can you check the recoil pad on the AI and the screw pattern and see if it matches the Sig. I'd like to replace the recoil pad with an adjustable one.

It's OK. Not great. I'd prefer one that could be locked in place better. A folding stock would be nice to pull the bolt out as well. (That way the cheek piece can be left in position.)

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Just shot my Sig SSG 3000 for the first time today and have to say I am quite impressed! This is the first bolt action rifle I've purchased and I got the 24" version from Palmetto (they still have them for $1399). I went with this after debating getting a Rem 700 or Savage and putting it in a chassis and then reading some of the early reviews of the SSG 3000 and this thread too.

The setup today was the Sig SSG 3000 with a Bushnell 6200ET 4.5-30x50mm scope, Harris bipod and rear sand bag. I shot a variety of different ammo to see what it would do. The ammo was: Lake City 147gr bulk ammo (2012 headstamp), American Eagle 168gr OTM, Norma 168gr (the military overrun stuff Midway had a month of so ago) and Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr.

After sighting in the rifle at 50yds with the Lake City ammo, I took it to 100yds and shot 3rd groups with all the ammo. Best 2 groups of the day went to the AE 168gr OTM. The best group came in at 0.375". That's the smallest group I've ever shot! Had another group at 0.50" (2nd best I've ever shot) and one at 0.70" with this ammo. This ammo also seems to shoot the best in my JP LRP-07 (my best group being 0.81"), so that works out well.
20131101_194820.jpg

3rd best group was 0.625" and that was with the Lake City 147gr bulk stuff. That was shocking as that ammo shoots very poorly in my JP and I usually just use it in my M1A to shoot at the silhouettes with iron sights. Two other groups with that ammo were were under 1" but not as good as the 0.625. Still, if I can get this ammo to regularly shoot under 1" I will be quite happy.
20131101_194844.jpg

The Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr and the Norma 168gr shot about the same with both giving groups between 0.656" to 0.7". I'd say those two may have shot more consistently, but they didn't give the best groups. That could very easily be my shooting though...

Overall, I'm very happy with this rifle! The stock seems quite nice to me (though this thing is a tank) and the trigger is excellent too. I didn't bring my AR with a Geissele SD-Combat trigger today, but from memory I'd say they are pretty similar with the trigger on the Sig maybe being a bit nicer. Nice, smooth take up in 1st stage and then a very crisp break. Can feel the recoil more than my JP LRP-07, but that makes sense and I think a different brake would help. May try to put the same type of JP brake on the Sig to see what that does.

Going to shoot it some more on Sunday with a friend who has a Rem 700 5R in an Accuracy Intl chassis and a Savage BA10 to see what he thinks of it and to also try out his rifles. I have a feeling my first bolt gun won't be my last.... :)

Last edited:
When I bought mine my biggest wonder was whether or not the rifle would take off here in the states. If the ssg3k action becomes like it is in europe where you can get a new stock, trigger, or barrel with a phone call and credit card then I think it has the potential to become one hell of a platform to work on. Initial availability was very sketchy, but it seems in the past month they have really been getting out into the hands of dealers. Palmetto has them now and so does Walmart. Maybe in a couple years I can call up Manners and have them send me a t5a inlet for the ssg 3000 and then ring up GAP for a Bartlein chambered for it as well. What a perfect world that would be...

yea, trying to think if i know anyone from scandanavia so i can give them a shopping list. ;) could do with some extra magazines and the 22LR conversion would be great too. saw one on Gunbroker for more than what the whole rifle cost me...

looked like your rifle might be on GB too. from the description it sounds like you tried a different brake on it. how hard was it to get the stock brake off and what did you try in its place?

It is mine listed on Gunbroker. My primary affliction for the past 6 months seems to be RADD (Rifle Attention Deficit Disorder). I had a 700 in a T4A that I liked the ergonomics of but just didn't give the accuracy I wanted. I sold it and put the money towards the SSG 3000 which is fantastically accurate and shoots well, but I just can't live with the stock. I ordered the McMillan and then about a month later saw an AI AE on the equipment exchange and decided to quit trying to make other rifles into the one I wanted and just buy the AI. So the SSG (and a couple others) are now paying for the AI. I like the Sig a lot, it's just not perfect for me. If support builds in the States I would definitely buy another in the future.

The stock flash hider actually wasn't too hard to get off. I got the whole thing near red hot with a propane torch to burn off the loctite, then took a pair of vise grips wrapped in tape to it and broke it loose. Don't forget to loosen the set screw. Honestly, the rifle already shot very mildly, I added a Thunderbeast 30BA brake it wasn't much worse than a .223.

nice. i'll be shooting a friend's Rem 700 in a AICS tomorrow and am hoping i don't end up wanting one... ;)

seems like the stock on the SSG is what gets the most complaints. since my other rifles are ARs and a M1A, this is the first "precision rifle" type stock i've used so maybe in my case ignorance is bliss. that said, would be interested in knowing what specifically people don't like about the stock. and yea, the recoil isn't too bad. think i've just gotten used to my JP and how soft that shoots, so was thinking trying a different brake might be interesting.

good luck with your sale and purchase!

Took the SSG 3000 out again today and now I'm even more happy with it! Repeated my ammo testing and even with the wind at Livermore I got groups like the one below.

Now I just need to stop messing up the 4th shot of my 5 shot groups. Seemed to consistently mess that one up...

2apy5ypa.jpg

You suffer from my condition! The number of half-minute-or-better 4 shot groups I have shot with any rifle is laughable.

haha. yea, i think once i had 3 nice shots in, i tended to rush the 4th one and/or jerk the trigger. then after cussing at myself, i would take my time and drop in a nice 5th shot. most of my poor shots tend to be low and right, so at least i'm fairly consistent in what i'm doing wrong. i shoot left handed, so according to the those shooting chart diagrams, it looks like i'm pushing the rifle. guess that gives me a reason to keep hitting the range. :D

i'm tempted to adjust the trigger location, as i feel if it were a bit more forward the reach would be perfect. it's been shooting so nice though that i don't want to risk messing something up.

I love my pair. We need to do a group buy from Europe for mags, barrel adapters, 22 conversions, etc. I bought mine from Reeds & called 3 months later & they sent 2 extra mags free. Great place to buy. I know of one in stock near Detroit for $1499. I verified when I bought mine the barreled action was German. These are so common in Europe & everything is modular, no gunsmith needed & barrels, mags, etc are cheaper than any other brand. I read the sold 800,000 STR200(same action) in Finland alone. Any members from Finland? Please PM me.

I finally shot a sub 3 MOA group Today with my 3000. I was not getting the group I thought I should and found the flash hider was lose. I took it off and installed a brake and shot the sub .3 group at 100 yards with Federal 168 match. Will try at 200 next with my 1000 yard M14 load. I plan to make a better brake with the SIG flash hider profile after hunting season. It is more difficult for me to shoot tight groups these days. I got old and went from a High Master to a High Pulse rate shooter.

nice shooting! which brake did you put on? i'm thinking of putting a JP brake on mine, but don't have a real reason to do that yet. plus, i'm really liking this rifle more and more with each shooting session.

it doesn't have the quality/specialness feeling that my JP LRP-07 does, but it has delivered a 0.25" group. whereas the best i've been able to get out of my JP so far is 0.75". i'm sure the JP is capable of more, but the Sig probably is too.

Hi Daniel,

I just checked my SSG, and the flash hider is loose too. NO wonder I wasn't getting good groups. I read somewhere on the hide that the flash hider is very difficult to take off. It seems the new batch came with loose flash hiders, the thread is full of oil on mine. It probably took 20 shots to break it loose. I hope this is not a sign of bad QC.

What kind of muzzle brake you put on the SSG? Can you explain the procedure? How do you prevent it get loose?

Thanks,
Kevin

Just bought my 3rd. 24" on gunbroker. I didn't mean to or need a 3rd but it was NIB from a dealer for An opening bid of $1299+$25 shipping. I bid & got it. The 2 I have shoot sub 1/2 moa & I like the stock. Now if we can get change barrels I'm all set.Just a note for anyone that bought theirs from Reeds aka Northern. If you call them they'll send you a free extra mag for each rifle bought, at lease they sent me 2. Great folks to deal with. If any wants to do a group buy on barrels, mags,etc from Europe count me in. I read they sold 800,000 to Finland in the STR 200 which is the same action. We need a contact there. I read parts for these are cheaper there than any other rifle. BTW mine came with test targets with holes & bullet data, 168 gr. Lets do a group buy.

Just bought my 3rd. 24" on gunbroker. I didn't mean to or need a 3rd but it was NIB from a dealer for An opening bid of $1299+$25 shipping. I bid & got it. The 2 I have shoot sub 1/2 moa & I like the stock. Now if we can get change barrels I'm all set.Just a note for anyone that bought theirs from Reeds aka Northern. If you call them they'll send you a free extra mag for each rifle bought, at lease they sent me 2. Great folks to deal with. If any wants to do a group buy on barrels, mags,etc from Europe count me in. I read they sold 800,000 to Finland in the STR 200 which is the same action. We need a contact there. I read parts for these are cheaper there than any other rifle. BTW mine came with test targets with holes & bullet data, 168 gr. Lets do a group buy.

Apparently the new rifles do not have a user changeable barrel. Opinions/reviews on sig sauer ssg 3000 - AR15.COM

Apparently your wrong, more internet BS by people who don't know their facts & probably never saw one. I now own 3 with a 4th coming &. They all have quick change barrels & are all the most accurate out of the box I've shot. Read Outdoor Life's June/July gun test issue, they claim it's the MOST accurate rifle they've EVER shot' please get you facts correct before posting apparent misinformation. That's OK keep spreading your crap as that lets me buy rifles that were $3500 in May for under $1300 now, Thanks apparent expert!
BTW all mine came with sub 1/2" test targets.

Apparently the new rifles do not have a user changeable barrel. Opinions/reviews on sig sauer ssg 3000 - AR15.COM

Last edited:
please get you facts correct before posting apparent misinformation. That's OK keep spreading your crap as that lets me buy rifles that were $3500 in May for under $1300 now, Thanks apparent expert!

Are you undergoing elastration? You can call Sig CS and tell them, it was from the horse's mouth.

I confirmed my info with a regional Sig rep, not some internet ar15 site like you did. Get it right or don't spread sh*t farmerted. This isn't your cornfield.

Are you undergoing elastration? You can call Sig CS and tell them, it was from the horse's mouth.

If anyone has called Sig c/s they know that all they do is read out of the catalog which doesn't list the optional barrels because Sig US chose not to import. These take the same options as Sauer STR 200. When I bought my 1st one I talked directly to the man in charge of Sig rifles to verify the barreled actions were/are German made. The stock is US & the flashider now threaded to 5/8x24.

I agree the Sig C/S reps you get on the phone are about as useful as tits on a bull... It is unfortunate they do NOT know their own product. I have even called a few times with the same question just to see if I happen to have gotten a window licker the first time, but nope no intelligence the second time either.

Flyflo, what parts? Were you able to make an arrangement out of Finland? What have you got coming? Please don't say it's a .22 conversion, I don't need a reason to buy another rifle.

QH, there has been a 22 conversion on Ebay & now on GB for $1500. Chaper than they used to be but cost more than the guns now.

New to forum but I just bought a SIG3000 24" have mounted a Vortex Viper scope with TPS rings, I have a Thunder Beast suppressor that I will use on it, so has anybody shot theirs with a suppressor yet?

SP

The SSG3000 mags accept 30-06, 270win, etc. The huntingbarrels from the Sauer 202 are dropin with a small modification. Espesially the 24" semi weight/19mm is a perfect fit on a SSG3000. Barrels are match quality with chamber and rifleling hammerforged in one operation. Chambers are not cut.

202 magnum barrels will not fit the SSG3000.

Last edited:
Put my hands on a 23.6" new style SSG3000 a while ago, barrel and action all have German proof house markings so at least these 2 parts should be from Germany. Functions also as smooth as the old ones. Don't know 18"s but my guess is Sig got the barreled action from Germany like the previous SSG3000s, drop in local made stock and job done.

I have had my ssg 3000 for nearly 4 months and absolutely love it. Average about a .6 moa group on bad days and get downwards of .2 moa on good days.also found that no matter what bullet it shoots, it will always be under .875 moa. Action is unbelievably smooth, mag feeds very well, rail is solid but I do wish it had a 20 moa slope. Bird cage flash hider is easy to remove. Adjustable cheek comb is solid.. very solid. Trigger is fully adjustable: length of pull, first stage trigger pull length, second stage poundage from 4 lbs down to 3 lbs. In general, I really don't see being able to get more from a rifle at this price anywhere.

uploadfromtaptalk1390493454721.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390493473452.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390493523316.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390493698960.jpg

All 3 shot groups from 100 yards except the spinner target which was a single shot made from 192 yards (per range finder)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

my last outing

still loving my Sig SSG 3000 too. two of my 5 round groups from last week.
100yd from bench with bipod and rear bag. gusty day with wind going left to right.

pic 1: first 3 shots looked like 1 hole from the bench. 4th shot was furthest right and 5th was back with main group but a bit low.
pic 2: is one of my 4th shot flyer groups, but still pretty good.

20140119_120452.jpg

20140119_120652.jpg

I have a couple of links that might interest you guys. Especially those who want to alter a 200 str to a sniper rifle. The first link is to a small company that makes solid steel rails, fitted directly to 200 str. And the other one is to a shop at a shooting range under The Danish shooting association where they have some parts for 200 str.
Sauer 200 STR - montage skinne - Picatinny/Stanag Rail
Sauer 200 STR tilbehør

Feel free to ask me any questions you like and i answer the best i can.
Sorry if there are some misspellings. I am Danish :)

Best regards Lappe Denmark

Quote: Vikings dont freeze. They just get blue and then dies!