• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightmark 3x9x40mm Stress Tests

neoncabbit

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2007
Adairsville, Georgia
I have been eyeing this scope for awhile and after seeing a post awhile back about them I decided to do a lil' investigating. I contacted them today ( Talked with very informed Americans ) just to see who they are and how they measure up to other "Tactical" optics in the industry. Surprised to find that:

* Leads the industry in keeping a defective rate under 2%
* Has over 60 LE Agency Contracts
* Has 4 Military Contracts
* Lifetime no non-sense warranty on all optics
* Waterproof, Shock Proof, and able to handle extreme temperatures without being effected
* High 10 grade Japanese quality glass assembled in a state of the art facility in China's higher district

After the phone call I was a bit excited to get ahold of one of their scopes. I decided I have never done a stress test before on a scope so I went today and purchased a Sightmark 3x9x40mm Tactical MilDot Scope from SWFA:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10364-1467-sightmark-3-9x40-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

One of the first things that catches my eye is how close it looks to a Super Sniper. Even the length is accurate. SWFA told me these scopes are special order items direct from the factory and it will take a few extra days just to order. Come to find out it is that way everywhere with these scopes when you order online. I am waiting for mine to come in. I will see how it compares to my Super Sniper and Leopold VXIII and Burris Fullfield II. Upon Comparision I will be putting it through a series of stress tests. During these tests I will.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Waterproof/ Fogproof Tests</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">- Submerge it with water in a tupperware box and freeze it for 3 days.
- Take it out of the freezer and let it thaw in the Georgia Early summer outdoors.
- Leave it in the yard for 3 days and let the Georgia Humidity do it's worst to it.</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Heat Test</span>
-<span style="font-style: italic"> Place in a dry oven on 120 degrees for 15 mins</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Shock Tests</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">- Roll 30 times down a low pile carpeted flight of stairs.
- Drop test from 18ft onto low pile carpet.
- Attach it to my .308 and see if it holds zero, retains clarity, quality and rigitity.</span>

So basically I am trying everything less than throwing it up against a concrete wall. I truely want to see if this thing can hang with some of the mid range tactical scopes on the market. It's going to be interesting as I have been waiting for someone to do a real world review on sightmark scopes, but it never happened. I have seen plenty done with the Super Sniper and Falcon Optics scopes.

I will provide detailed pics of the different phases of all the tests. Stay tuned as I will be laying the smack down on this thing as soon as it arrives. Sightmark take note. I will not be going easy on ya'
wink.gif

Re: Sightmark 3x9x40mm Stress Tests

Looking forward to it. I was thinking of picking one of these up for my M1A.

Im excited abou this review, iv been looking at sightmark for a while but have found no reviews anywhere, so this will be nice to hear about, id be a nice scope on a 22lr.

I have the 1.5-5x30mm on the way for a .22lr

I'll try to review but I think I'll let you do the stress tests
smile.gif

I got a free $200.00 money card from one of my customers. I thought this would be a good way to spend it. Nothing like calling out a company who claims to be top notch. We will see. I am going to put this thing through hell a few times... By the way it is on it's way and will be here Tuesday next week. SWFA is not too shabby.

On another note is their anything else anyone would like me to test. After the first tests (and after I mount it to a rifle to see if it held up), I am taking it back off and going to see what will it actually take to cause this thing to be un-operational. Any suggestions? Let's have fun with this thing and see how China "Really" stands up.

I had a scope off an airgun that the windage knob stopped working. I took it and hit it with a baseball bat full bore a couple times and the elevation knob still worked and the glass was fine. It made a satisfying "ping" when I hit it letting me know it was real metal at least.

Id like to see this stress test. Im wandering just how much abuse these scopes can take.

If it fairs well would it be on the buy list of anyone here?

If its tough,clear and $100.00 then it must be a godsend or a fluke. right?

howdy

I looked on the sightmark website and it says that it has 25 minutes of elevation and windage adjustment. Please tell us how much adjusment range there really is. Wish it had more but what can you expect for $100, right? If its durable then it might work well for a .22lr trainer rifle.
I laughed at the trailer though.
http://www.sightmark.com/

Not lookin' for the holy grail. Just putting some chinese manufacturing to the test. If it measures up I will be surprised.

dude....really........you're going to compare a tactical scope against a hunting scope (which has NO parallax adjustment).....to what end ?

This should be interesting. Is the glass decent on these things? Seems way too good to be true...

Just orderd the 1.5x-5x. Looking for the perfect inexpensive scope for my whisper and this fits the bill to a tee. FFP, mildot, low power, inexpensive, exposed 1/4moa turrents, plenty of elevation. If it works as advertised I will be very satisifed. $154 delivered to my door.

Sounds like some salesmanship going on. Did they say which 60 LE agencies and which Militaries use their scope???

Cali thats a negative. But neither do many other scope makers. Of course it is a sales pitch to get you to buy it. They would be crazy not to! On the other hand I am not a salesman. I am a consumer that is putting this particular scope to the test. Hell I just bought a Falcon Menace today for a rifle of mine. I know what is quality and what isn't when it comes to some things. In this case you maybe calling me out way to quick before I actually have some time to put a review in.

By the way it came in today amazingly. I just opened the box 10 minutes ago and first thoughts:

1. Feels like quality in the hands. Very rigid, heavy and if I drop it, it doesn't "feel" like it would not do too much damage.
2. Realy, really nice reticule! Easily clear and readable.
3. Rubber strip to adjust power very weak, feels thin and I can see this pulling apart over time like a worn rubber band.
4. The turret adjustments on this scope are incredible. I do not own a scope right now that has turret adjustments as crisp, clear, audible and precise as this scope. When you turn it you know it on most importantly it's on. Turret's *click* feels like your are breaking small toothpicks with each click. very nice.
5. Has great eye relief.

I can't tell much with clarity and quality of the lens yet because it is night, but I will gander through it tommorow.

Boltripper has a kindred spirit in Keefer Sutherlin ....i'm off to take a tylenol.

Neoncabbit. Not trying to call you out or nothing. Just curios to see what the salesmen said. By the way, I noticed they are looking for people to be part of the "sightmark pro-team".

Teletiger. Not trying to call you out or anything either, but your statement within itself is accusing me whether you are saying it or not. I am going to settle this here and now before this turns into another Snipers Hide forum thrash.

1. Had a gift card.
2. Thought I would like to test a scope I have looked at awhile.
3. Called the company who makes the scope.
4. Company sounded convincing enough to purchase the scope to see if it holds up as well as they state.
5. In the process of doing a full complete "UNBIASED" review of this scope.

Thats as far I have got Gents. I really could give a rats ass if they are looking for whatever little dick "Pro Team" as you say. Whatever blows their skirt up. In the meantime I am putting their company to the test with this scope. But so far I can honestly say this scope is solid based on the short out of the box review I posted above. What I can say might hurt this scope (even if it passes all the hell I put it through) is it may not have enough MOA adjustment to be considered a long range tactical scope. I have not tested it yet, but that is going on the scopes online details. I can tell you this however, it does seem to have quite a bit more adjustment than what is marketed.

Shit I hope this clears this up. Don't flame an honest dude trying to help others out. If this keeps up I will shit on this post and keep the damn review to myself and a few other site I post to. Would not hurt my feelings none the bit.

I am curios to see how your test results go. It sounds like a fun project. It would be great to find a decent/affordable starter scope for bargain builds and .22s If its decent it may end up on my 22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoncabbit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But so far I can honestly say this scope is solid based on the short out of the box review I posted above.

Shit I hope this clears this up. Don't flame an honest dude trying to help others out. If this keeps up I will shit on this post and keep the damn review to myself and a few other site I post to. Would not hurt my feelings none the bit. </div></div>

The scope is "solid" because of how it feels and looks? I know somebody who thought their new Hyundai 'Excel' looked pretty dang solid too. And it was a complete POS. If you intend to use a scope atop a rifle, i.e. you're actually going to use the scope to shoot, then no other criteria except performance assessment should be the objective of a review.

There are LOTS of crummy scopes available. So you want to find a cheap scope that just might work. And just because maybe one of them might, doesn't mean another might. The sample size is way too small.

Newbies, don't buy into this sort of reasoning or product category. Your time is your most valuable resource. Spend your money and your time -- if you want to get onto the range and perform -- on stuff that has a very high chance of meeting your needs.

If you get your kicks trying to find cheap stuff that just might work, more power to you. I suppose a piece of clothesline might work good enough -- for some -- for a rifle sling. Fine. But don't start singing its virtues to the shooting community at large without expecting to catch some flak.

And as usual, Nate offers nothing but his useless condemnation and insults. Neoncabbit openly stated his intentions in his very first post. He had the cash, now he's going to run a scope through the wringer and see how it fares. Nate, how about doing us all a favor and finding something better to do with your fingers, like sit on them, than continuing to type your diatribes to people?

He bought the scope as a test.
Nate, how utterly <span style="text-decoration: underline">Godlike</span> you must be in that small little world you call your own to be so far above us all. What power magnification do you use to look that far down on everyone, hero?

Looking forward to the thrash results, neon.

Jack

Nate,

If the guy wants to take the time and effort to test it and report back WTF do you have jump in on the thread for? Move on. I'm sure we all know you are a lean and mean operator whose life depends on the very best equipment that Soldier of Fortune recommends. But, the SH Optics forum is for people to discuss <span style="text-decoration: underline">all</span> optics. This is not the NF, S&B, USO forum. Unless you have personally tested the Sightmark scopes (which I can't find any posts to that effect) then stay to what you know from personal experience. I appreciate someone taking the time and effort. Thanks neon, carry on.

What if you wanted to buy your nephew his first .22? Are you going to put a $2,000.00 NF, Leu, S&B, USO. not likely. This is helpful information.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Some people try too hard to act like they belong here at "Newbies" expense. (You.)</span></span>

And no, I'm not some spec ops, cladestine, modern day ninja only activated when Jack Bauer has to finally stop fighting terrorists to take a dump. I am a part-time long range shooting enthusiast. Plain and simple as probably 95% of the people here are. Chill out.

How does evaluating this cheap scope differ from evaluating any of three dozen cheap scopes available through a multitude of sources? Sure, it's better content than another f'ing inquiry about "ring height" or "5R vs. SPS", but how does this scope rate any attention at all?

I'm not getting why this sort of info is on this forum. As to your insults, shove 'em. I've posted on more than a few occasions that new guys (especially) shouldn't let anybody browbeat them into spending more than they can afford. But crummy stuff isn't a bargain, ever. Polishing a turd is a waste of time.

Just like this thread, and just like your and my replies to it. But if there should be a sub-forum for reviewing shit gear, then have at it. Start polishing.

Congratulations Nate you are one of the few people who when you google your name comes up as a total tool on several gun forums. Calguns, lonrangehunting.com nissanforums.com, thefiringline.com, accurateshooter.com etc.

On everyone of them you are a rude, poser that acts like an expert by recycling the information you read on the interweb.

You should step down, play nice and not start another internet hissie thread. It only adds to your bad rep.

Leave this thread since you don't care about the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does evaluating this cheap scope differ from evaluating any of three dozen cheap scopes available through a multitude of sources? Sure, it's better content than another f'ing inquiry about "ring height" or "5R vs. SPS", but how does this scope rate any attention at all?

I'm not getting why this sort of info is on this forum. As to your insults, shove 'em. I've posted on more than a few occasions that new guys (especially) shouldn't let anybody browbeat them into spending more than they can afford. But crummy stuff isn't a bargain, ever. Polishing a turd is a waste of time.

Just like this thread, and just like your and my replies to it. But if there should be a sub-forum for reviewing shit gear, then have at it. Start polishing. </div></div>

There should be a subforum for morons that provide zero insight and information, and for being generally useless. They could call it Tools, it would be located in the Lonely Village Forum. There would be two members that would primarily occupy it. Nate Haler and Lazy21.

I think a better question would be "How does Nate rate any viable attention at all?"
Answer? He doesn't.

any update on this? Looking for a scope of a new 22lr and wondering if this checked out decent. Thx.

Any new info for this subject. I really like the look of their 8.5-25x40 and would like to know how yours held up.

Not sure what happened to this thread, but I was curious as to the findings of the stress test.

My sightmark shifts POI when changing from 3x to 9x magnification. Was wondering if the one you're testing did the same thing.

Thanks...ANDY

Looking forward to your evaluation.