• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightmark review

Drew_1312

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2009
Rochester, Indiana
I seen that someone on here was going to do a torture test to a Sightmark scope. I never did see what the final result was though.

I ended up buying one to put on my 20" AR until my Burris comes in. I went out to sight in my rifle yesterday with the Sightmark. Started out at 25 yards, just to get on paper. Had the power setting at three and got dialed in. Once I did, I put three rounds in the same hole right on the "X" (but that was at 25 yards). The scope was fairly clear and I like their mil-dot reticle, nice and thin. Before I moved back to 100, I turned the power setting to 9 and shot a three round group. Again, one hole! Here's the problem though. That one hole group on 9 power was about 2" right and about 2" high. I couldn't belive that it shifted that much. I'm sure you can imagine
How far I was off when I moved back to 100.

Anyway, I got it sighted in at 100 but was very disappointed. Going to go back out tomorrow and run the box test to see how it tracks. Just wanted to let you know what I've found out so far. I know there were some guys interested in how this scope held up.

Don't bash me too much, I realize this is just a $120 scope and wasn't expecting miracles. Just putting in my two cents.

Re: Sightmark review

I'm going to have buy one. I have never put 3 rounds in the same hole at 25 yards or 100 yards. Thanks for the review.

Sighting in at 25 yards isn't that precise, if you were off a bit at 25 yards that could explain it. Sighting in at 25 yards will always leave you off at 100 elevation wise as well.

I think what he is saying is that at 3x he shot a tight group at 25 yards. still staying at 25 yards he shot another tight group on 9x BUT there was a serious POI shift from just a power change.

Oh I see. That could've been parallax as well, I'd try it at 100 yards with the same procedure.

Thanks for clarifying Outsydlooknin, that's what is was trying to say. And the only reason I was sighting in at 25 yards was because I just put the rifle together and was making sure I was on paper before I moved back to 100 yards. It was my first time sighting in this rifle.

While at 25 yards, I got sighted in on 3x. Just for kicks, I decided stay at 25 yards, turn the power up to 9x, and shoot a three round group to make sure it didn't change my POI. That's when I noticed the shift. I left it at 9x, moved back to 100 yards and sighted in.

With that said, I was able to get out today and shoot the box test. Scope seemed to track well. Ran the box test at 50 yards, on 9x. When I figure out how to post pictures, I'll attach some on here. After the box test, I shot a three round group on 9x. Then I turned the scope down to 3x and shot another three round group. Same thing, huge POI shift. All in all, the scope seems well built, nice crisp clicks, and seems to track well. The POI shift when going from 3x to 9x (or 9x to 3x) is a real problem though.

Not sure, guess I didn't try that. Going to go back out tomorrow so I'll let you know. I know it's a problem with the scope and not the gun. I guess that's what you get for $120.

For some catch up! Yes we tested the reticle walk today. It does move with the power change. I held the rifle and had Drew turn the power ring and it changed and then he held it and I turned the ring and it changed. So, yes, it does shift with the power change. I will say, for the box test it performed very well. Tracked and rezeroed really well. My only disappointment it with the power range POI change. Drew is going to call SightMark to see what they have to say. I will say for him that this is a "make do" scope until he makes a final decision on the permanent optic for this gun.

See you tomorrow Drew!

Quick update.

Called Sightmark today and spoke with the person in charge of law enforcement sales (who stated that he was on the "Sightmark Pro Team!") I told him about that POI shift on different power magnifications. He told me that most scopes will do that!!!! Can you believe that! He said that I would have to spend over $1000 to get a scope that doesn't have a POI shift when changing magnification. He also stated that I could send the scope back and that he would send me a new one, but that he couldn't guarantee that the new one wouldn't do the same thing!

WOW!

Here's some pics...
First pic is after running the box test with 5MOA adjustments at 50 yards.
th_2009_0728Image0006.jpg

Here's the POI shift I was talking about. First shot a three round group (bottom left circle) on 9x at 50yds. Then turn to 3x, aimed at center circle and shot three round group.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/Drew_1312/th_2009_0728Image0007.jpg

Here's some pics of the rifle if anyone cares.
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/Drew_1312/th_2009_0728Image0009.jpg
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/Drew_1312/th_2009_0728Image0012.jpg
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/Drew_1312/2009_0728Image0013.jpg