• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Signature Rifle

Re: Signature Rifle

pha⋅lanx  [fey-langks, fal-angks] Show IPA noun, plural pha⋅lanx⋅es or, for 7, pha⋅lan⋅ges  [fuh-lan-jeez] Show IPA , verb
–noun
1. (in ancient Greece) a group of heavily armed infantry formed in ranks and files close and deep, with shields joined and long spears overlapping.
2. any body of troops in close array.
3. a number of individuals, esp. persons united for a common purpose.
4. a compact or closely massed body of persons, animals, or things.
5. Military. (initial capital letter) a radar-controlled U.S. Navy 20mm Gatling-type gun deployed on ships as a last line of defense against antiship cruise missiles.
6. (in Fourierism) a group of about 1800 persons, living together and holding their property in common.
7. Anatomy, Zoology. any of the bones of the fingers or toes.
–verb (used without object)
8. Printing. to arrange the distribution of work in a shop as evenly as possible.
Origin:
1545–55; < L < Gk phálanx military formation, bone of finger or toe, wooden roller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any signature rifle needs to have a bad ass name... the name is every bit as important as the rifle itself.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Very true, it could be the (AAAAAAAAA EEEEEEEEEE) model </div></div>

Now that's funny!!!

i like the name Phalanx or however the hell its spelled. Or go with spartan

or since the spartan war terminology is peeking my interest

Kryptès (GR): 'secret agent'; Spartan who roamed covertly through the territory to look for signs of possible rebelliousness

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not chamber it in 6.5x47?

-Chris </div></div>

6.5x47L, 6.5CM or any caliber a person would want. The idea is to have a popular caliber in stock, not saying those arent popular.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like the name Phalanx</div></div>

Yea, it does start to grow on ya after a while.

something like this color combo and adj htg

stw.jpg

build it in a 7WSM and call it Thor's Hammer or Roscoe's Hammer

There was a thread somewhere that a guy had a mcm swirl with a ratio of 30%OD, 40% Med Tan, 10%Woodland Beige, 20% Black. It looked damn good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As a side, matchking should change his screen name to scenar.</div></div>

As requested sir.

+1 for something in 7WSM using Seekins WSM bottom metal and a Timney trigger set a 1.5#

RSR
A3/5 (3 color like my 243 that you bedded)std weight
Sendero with heayy flutes
18-23" depending on cal
5/8-24 with seamless cap
Dark Earth metal
Surgeon DBM
.243/.260/.308

Pihassas

Just some thoughts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scenar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As a side, matchking should change his screen name to scenar.</div></div>

As requested sir. </div></div>

I just couldnt remember the last MK you had shot. The Scenar is another story as you have them by the trailor load
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RSR
A3/5 (3 color like my 243 that you bedded)std weight
Sendero with heayy flutes
18-23" depending on cal
5/8-24 with seamless cap
Dark Earth metal
Surgeon DBM
.243/.260/.308 </div></div>

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any signature rifle needs to have a bad ass name... the name is every bit as important as the rifle itself.
smile.gif
</div></div>Can I name it Frank........that's a bad ass name.

</div></div>

This can be your youth model.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tim, I think he was going swirly type, but I could be wrong. </div></div>

Your right.

Swirled like This </div></div>

That would be the same colors KMW uses on most of their stocks. Somebody was calling it KMW Woodland but I don't think KMW or McMillan actually claim that name. They just use it a lot. Colors in the stock you pictured are O.D., Black and <span style="font-weight: bold">Light</span> Tan.

Anyway, just pointing out that you can use any colors you want cus nobody has the percentage and color patern trademarked, etc. Just would be neat to see you pick something trully "signature" that is different that what everybody else is using.

Hop your project goes good.

Clay

hey Roscoe if you are an LSU fan, go with the Purple and Gold. JK something like 60 OD Green and 40 Gray with darker gray metal

I'd like to see something on Pete Lincoln's Avenger II action with AW Mags

Kreiger 1-10 18-22 inches.
Threaded with thread protector.
Timney trigger set to 3lbs
RSR action.
Aics mag system.
A-3 or A-5 adj stock with 2 molded in stock color.
You could give 2 choices if they wanted to wait for mcmillan.
1st) Urban...50% light gray, 30% med gray 20% black with black barreled action.
2nd) woodland camo or some variation
As for names:
Zeus
Hades
Athena... goddess of wisdom and war.

Just my $0.2

Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Athena... goddess of wisdom and war.

Just my $0.2

Mac

</div></div>

Well put. I like a rifle with a Female name, and it does not get any badder than Athena.

Does not sound very American...but hell neither does Phalanx...

Im a huge fan of the M40 type rifles. So heres my suggestion.

Surgeon action
Barrel to customers request
Manners T1 or T3 stock

OK, I'll play. Even though I am now a Low Country SC boy, I was born and raised (10 years anywho) in Shreveport so that may give me some horsepower
wink.gif

Surgeon RSR with their scope base and a choice of bolt knobs. This for all the reasons listed above. Hell, it would probably cost less to go with the Surgeon than spend the time machining wouldn't it?

Krieger heavy Palma or MTU heavy fluted @ 22"

Surgeon DBM with 2 mags

Manners MCS-T4A in GAP Desert Sand - OD - Coyote Tan

Shilen tigger @ 2 lbs

243, 260, 7-08, or 308 as a choice

Have the barreled action Melonited and then cerakoted assuming it is possible to do both

And a payment plan!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A3-5
Surgeon Tactical Repeater
Threaded w/ protector (SF on request)
22" 308
26" for the other two
Surgeon DM
</div></div>

This. Especially the part about the Surgeon Repeater and threaded.

Flectarn?
wink.gif

Molded in color, what ever it is - and make the stock/stocks standard so they can be on hand.

Should be tasty.

Why not something different than a Surgeon? a receiver of your own, so that it is your signature package, instead of parts from others?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30caluser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not something different than a Surgeon? a receiver of your own, so that it is your signature package, instead of parts from others? </div></div>

The receivers you see being offered at places like GAP, Skunk works & R&D Precision to name a few are made by Defiant Machine, previously Phoenix Machine. The Best of The West Rifles are using Stiller’s receivers.

I don’t want to get into an Excise Tax issue by having my name on the receiver instead of the original manufacturer. I’m OK using either Surgeon or Remington.

A1-3 in forest camo (T3 would work if they had molded in finish)
RSR (of the two choices)
flat black finish

Nothing super fancy. Just solid and versatile.

If the Greek theme is still going why not thow the name "Ares" into it?

Greek mythology, Ares (Ancient Greek: &#7948;&#961;&#951;&#962; [ár&#603;&#720;s], &#924;odern Greek: &#902;&#961;&#951;&#962; [&#712;aris]) is the son of Zeus and Hera. Though often referred to as the Olympian god of warfare, he is more accurately the god of bloodlust, or slaughter personified: "Ares is apparently an ancient abstract noun meaning throng of battle, war."[

Either way, I think that for a single rifle build, a signature rifle should be the most adapatable rifle you can make (i.e. the caliber used, the stock's adjustable LOP and cheek piece, barrel contour etc...). YMMV

You could also call the rifle ACHILLES, since the Achilles heel of this fine and indestructable weapons system would be the shooter.

Mac

I think you should build it exactly like the one you are about to ship to me in a few days....Hehehe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30caluser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not something different than a Surgeon? a receiver of your own, so that it is your signature package, instead of parts from others? </div></div>

The receivers you see being offered at places like GAP, Skunk works & R&D Precision to name a few are made by Defiant Machine, previously Phoenix Machine. The Best of The West Rifles are using Stiller’s receivers.

I don’t want to get into an Excise Tax issue by having my name on the receiver instead of the original manufacturer. I’m OK using either Surgeon or Remington.
</div></div>

Just don't sell over 49 of them in a year....then no excise tax
smile.gif

a dark grey coating on all the metal would be a nice change from the usual black, OD, tan

as for the swirl, what about a brown theme? i always thought a brown/brown/black would give it a figured walnut look, with the benefit of glass. not very tacticool, but it would stand out in a crowd.

would the short 308s be .299 bore?

and i see nothing wrong with calling it the 'Roscoe Special' series. dont be so humble!

If you are going with a Greek theme, how about:

1. <span style="font-weight: bold">Cerberus</span>, Hades Dog that guarded the gate of hell and prevent those that had entered into Hades from crossing the River Styx. The dog was said to have three or more heads, which could be represented as different calibers, 243, 308 and 300WM or whatever.

2. <span style="font-weight: bold">Ares</span> and his companions in war <span style="font-weight: bold">Deimos</span>, "terror", and <span style="font-weight: bold">Phobos</span> "fear". Again each could represent a different caliber.

3. <span style="font-weight: bold">MedUSA</span>, One look at it and you are immediatly turned to stone, sort of adds new meaning to one shot one kill. It has the added bonus of having U.S.A. in its name.

Greek Mythology is full of names that would do justice to a Signature rifle; these are just my top three.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The receivers you see being offered at places like GAP, Skunk works & R&D Precision to name a few are made by Defiant Machine, previously Phoenix Machine. The Best of The West Rifles are using Stiller’s receivers.

</div></div>

Hey Bro, I believe they became Defiance Machine. Defiant Machine is in Michigan, God help them. Defiance Machine Web site:

http://www.defiancemachine.com

Excellent idea on the signature rifle. I like fat, short barrels 18-20" 1" at the muzzle. I just got an RSR in and it's impressive, I also ahve a 591 that's very nice too. Hard to go wrong with either one. It has to be a McMillan stock if it's one of your rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30caluser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not something different than a Surgeon? a receiver of your own, so that it is your signature package, instead of parts from others? </div></div>

The receivers you see being offered at places like GAP, Skunk works & R&D Precision to name a few are made by Defiant Machine, previously Phoenix Machine. The Best of The West Rifles are using Stiller&#146;s receivers.

I don&#146;t want to get into an Excise Tax issue by having my name on the receiver instead of the original manufacturer. I&#146;m OK using either Surgeon or Remington.
</div></div>

Just don't sell over 49 of them in a year....then no excise tax
smile.gif
</div></div>

this would make it a "Limited Edition Signature Rifle"!!!!

or only offer 49 in each action type, Surgeon, Stiller, etc...

I like the name of "ArchAngel" as in highest ranking angel and doing the bidding for God, serving for the good against evil. At least that is what I call my thunder-stick!
JaxOps

A5 stock with KMW checkpiece, Surgeon Repeater, Badger M5, Kreiger Heavy Palma spiral fluted in .308 (.298bore) with optional brake or Surefire Brake. Priced well ($3,495) with a quick turn time (less then 3 months) will translate to alot of sales.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far it looks like this to me.

Surgeon 591 Repeater
Surgeon DBM
KMW Knob
Rifle Basix, Tuned Remington or the like (By popular demand)
22" .308 with Krieger LV #18 1-10
26" .260, 6XC Krieger LV#18 1-8 for either one. 1-7.5 optional on XC
Threaded 5/8x24 w/cap, SF Adapter Optional
Molded in A3-5 33% OD, 33% Tan, 33% Blk
Gun Kote all Metal Flat OD Green or Flat Black (or bitone both) </div></div>

Ditch the RB trigger for Jewell HVR or R40X (buyer's choice) and add Terry Cross's Loggerhead cheek piece and you have a winner in my mind!

Balls rollin on a private label receiver for my signature rifle. We have to do some paper work with the ATF prior to making chips but the drawings are happening as I type. These will be submitted with the paper work to the ATF.

LA Precision Logo and custom Ser.# sequence
All Stainless Steel construction
Medium length, .308 bolt face
8x40 scope base screw holes
NF, Badger compliant scope base mounting
Side bolt stop/release
Surgeon/Badger DBM compliant bottom cuts
6 bolt body flutes
One piece bolt body/handle
Over sized knob
Longer tendon length, 1.062x16 threads
Pinned Recoil Lug
Modified Remington 700 foot print

Still need a name and or Model designation

Roscoe, is there something that defines you? Something you do or like that people associate with you? That may help with the name. As long as it's not "Gay Boy" or "Child Molester" or something like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe, is there something that defines you? Something you do or like that people associate with you? That may help with the name. As long as it's not "Gay Boy" or "Child Molester" or something like that. </div></div>

Horn Dog

la rigueur

Definition: harshness, severity, rigidness, strictness, rigor, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">precision</span></span></span>

the "la" could be a play on words for "LA" Precision and Louisiana is very french.....