• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes simmons review?

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
looking at a simmons 6-24 prohunter and 44 mag mildot scope side focus for use on 22lr for target 50 to 250 yards, around $150.

i tried the search but couldn't find what i was looking for

any body have or used to have one of these? please let me know if you had any problems with it as far as dimming and return to zero, hows the quality and clarity?

Re: simmons review?

44Mag scopes pretty much suck. If you can find a new in the box but out of production....Simmons 6-18 Whitetail Expedition..that was the best scope they ever made.

I had a 22MAG scope on my first gun, a .22. For the money they are great scopes.

they are re-introducing them for 2009 (wtail classic), however i was really looking at the prohunter 6-24 sf mildot vs. a barska swatfor the .22 i would like to put a nikon on it, but not in the budget. have a barska on the .308 and satisfied with it, but the simmons looks tempting, especially now that they are run by bushnell.

so...did any body have a problem with their's?

I've had problems with them holding zero, and returning to zero, save your pennies and eat ramen noodles for a while so you can get a nikon buckmasters 6-18 mildot
wink.gif

I think the sample list had a used 4.5-14x40 nikon buckmaster with mildot for $220...I jut got one from egay shipped for $290....I had a 6-18 with the fine dot and it worked/tracked/repeated great.....for the money if you go with the nikon you won't have to replace it near as soon.

Honestly, I've only been disappointed with Simmons. I will never buy a Simmons or a Tasco. I have been nothing but pleased with Bushnell however. I had a 3-9x40 Trophy on my 10/22 hunting/plinking/target rifle and it was excellent. I also put a 3-9x50 Banner on a 7mm Rem Mag and hit milk jugs with ease at 400 yards. If your budget is ~ $150 and that is plenty for a .22lr, there are some better scopes out there.

Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy with FREE 20x50 spotting scope $89

Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 $115

Vortex Crossfire 4-12x40 $149

Hi, I believe SWFA has the whitetail classic but it is not the wtc18. I think it is a wtc15. And yes, you are right. The WTC18 is a very good scope. Had one on my 40X for a while when working up some loads. Tracked very well and did whatever it was supposed to. The only other Simmons that I have is the Pro Air 6x18 on my 10/22. It has also worked well up to 200 yds. Don't think that I would try it any farther. The cal. that is.

Simmons ATEC is very good optically, tracks well and seems well made. I have one with illum duplex 2.8-10x and have been debating buying another 4-14 w/side focus parallax. My ATEC came to me via Ebay, and was under $100.

If you want a real deal on a good scope, look for Weaver Marksman scopes on Ebay. Those go very cheap and are really very decent.

The ATEC is better than a lot of "quality" mid-range scopes optically, and also has much more range of elevation adjustment. Reticle movements seem to repeat reliably. I bet if they put a mil-dot reticle and painted them without the prominent simmons logo, they would sell a ton of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, I believe SWFA has the whitetail classic but it is not the wtc18. I think it is a wtc15. And yes, you are right. The WTC18 is a very good scope. Had one on my 40X for a while when working up some loads. Tracked very well and did whatever it was supposed to. The only other Simmons that I have is the Pro Air 6x18 on my 10/22. It has also worked well up to 200 yds. Don't think that I would try it any farther. The cal. that is. </div></div>

We have the WTC18

3679414538_0bf189c48a_o.jpg

I've got 3 of the older Aetecs (30/06, .50cal ML and 10/22) all em are holding up great. My brother has a couple of em one on a 375RUM and one on his 300RUM. Plus I've got a 44Mag on my Colt AR. So far we've never had a problem with em.
Guns403.jpg

10-22Resized.jpg

Guns154.jpg

Guns015.jpg

have had 3 bsa's, after 2 - 3 years i can almost bet the glass gets grey, you loose focus, and doesn't hold a zero. and that's on a 22lr, an ar-15, and an inline muzzleloader. i'm sending mine back to bsa, if they replace it with a new one, it's a 8-32 w/target dot. i'll sell it to ya cheap if your interested

bought the simmopns, update on the simmons/barska dilema since my bsa is starting to crap out:

bought a simmons pro hunter and a barska swat, 6-24X, side focus. compared side to side the simmons definately has better glass, less weight and more compact. the barska has better quality knobs, and ill. mildot, but everything looking through the scope looked "antiquey yellow/brown".i thought barska swat was going to be as clear as the one on my .308, but it's not. must be one of those 1 good, 1 bad from the factory things, sent it back.

if i paid the usual price of $200 for the simmons, i'd probably send it back as it seems kinda "chimsey" on the outside. clear and bright glass though, and what was unusual is that the knobs has moa marks (0-50+) rather than the 0 then eight hash marks, 1, eight hash marks, 2, etc. excellent eye relief and could still see what i was aiming at even on 24x. return to 0 so far is good, adjustments where smooth and precise. instead of yardage marks on the side focus, they have graduated circles (why i don't know, should have just put yardages on it. unbelievabley long eye relief. comes with a sunshade, and turret covers. the mildot has very heavy outer crosshairs that goes to a normal mildot, the barska has a thinner mildot crosshair throughout.

that was the prohunter, they are re-introducing the 44mag and whitetail classics again, don't know if they are "less chimsey".

still saving for a nikon, leopold or elite bushnell, the simmons will hopefully hold me over till then.

There's an old saying: "you get what you pay for".
If you buy a Swaro, Schmidt, Nightforce, Kahles or top line Leupold, Bushnell or Nikon you won't find yourself in East bumf--- on a $5000 hunt with nothing but a bare barrel, iron sights or a borrowed gun.

I have yet to see an US, UK or EU sniper with some cheap Chink scope...wonder why? Must be a conspiracy!

If all you shoot is tin cans there are lots of $50-150 scopes out there, there are also Yugos for sale........

$65.00 tincan scope (Truglow)

DSCN2822.jpg

Serious Scope (Schmidt)

sb4-16x50ph.jpg