• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Single Action Sixgun - What ya'lls got?

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
Looking to pick up a .45LC single action (I reload). Colt is the classic and Ruger seems to be the modern standard. What are you guys shooting and your experiences. Barrel length recommendation?

It will be for plinking and camping trips mostly. No games at this time but never know if a bowling pin shoot will be in the sights down the road.

Pics would be great too... because everyone loves photos of well used guns.

Re: Single Action Sixgun - What ya'lls got?

You cant go wrong with a Freedom Arms. They are the tightest fitting and strong. The are also extreamly accurate. I would get one with the 454 and 45 long Colt cylinder.

I picked up a stainless Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt about ten years ago. Great gun and very well suited for extra strength loads!

Ive got a USFC Rodeo, short barrel version. Took a long time practicing, and some babbit bar tweaking to get it shooting right.

My Cimmeron 7th Cav model shoots very good, but I have issues with the cylinder pin comming loose about 3 shots into a string.

My most accurace Single action is my 1858 Remmy with a R&D conversion cylinder. Shot a 482X my first time shooting it.

I bought a Ruger 4&3/4 blackhawk .357 for $200.00 about 10 years ago.

It has a bit of holster wear, but the trigger pull is about 2 pounds, the action is silky smooth and i can hit shotgun shells at 25 yards with it..

Its nice to carry because the short barrel, and if it gets a little rusty, it will still work.

And since I paid so little for it, I wont cry.

I am a colt fan for the handy size of them and the appearance. But these days on
a new gun, these guys are supposed to the way to go.

http://www.usfirearms.com/

I have other big bores for hot loads and never got into the whole ".45 colt hotter than a 44 mag" deal. I just load from the book and enjoy.

Mine is also a new model Blackhawk in 45 Colt. 7.5" I load 360gr. Oregon Trails to 1200 fps with H-110.

Freedom Arms or Ruger... Short barrel for carrying, and long barrel for hunting.

My S/As are just for fun, no heavy loads, just SASS power LFN and a few Winchester Silvertips just to see how they handled. I've got a matched pair of 4 3/4" Nickel (for blackpower clean-up) AWA "Peacekeeper", Model P clones in .45 Colt. AWA built the guns in the US from Italian and US parts, they were nearby so I bought them direct shortly after they opened in 2000 or maybe early 2001. The triggers were tuned, while I looked over the gunsmith's shoulder, to a crisp 3 lbs and they shot to POA w/ 250 LFN right from the factory. Only problem I had was; at the end of my first match (didn't win the match against the .38s, but at least shot it clean
grin.gif
) I noticed the nickel had begun to flake just along the edge of the cylinder face. Brought them back to AWA and had them back, re-nickeled in less than a week as I remember. Not one single problem since, the triggers and timing have stayed perfect as has the nickel, the guns look almost new.

Within a couple months, since AWA was being really good to me, I also bought all 3 traditional barrel length, premium finish, blue/color case versions, a 4 3/4", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" in .45 Colt of course. All 3 are safe queens primarily because the nickeled guns worked out so well and I'm gone for work more than I'm home since buying them. One can still find AWAs on the used gun market BTW.

Also have a couple 7" S&W Schofield clones in .45 Colt, a Cimmaron which is closer to period correct, but seems to have loosened up a bit more than I'd like and a Navy Arms which has the transfer bar ignition instead of the original hammer nose firing pin. They get the same 250 LFN cowboy loads, are accurate and shoot to the minescule sights, reload X times faster, if that is important to you, but they just don't "hang" like the Colts. I wouldn't recomend them for anything but fun shoots and there, they just can't compete against the Model Ps
cry.gif

If you're thinking bangin' around woods gun, I'd go with the smaller frame Ruger New Vaquero, they are still plenty strong for normal SD loads though maybe not up to some of the bear stompin' 300+ grain solids that the first large frame Vaqueros are known to handle. They've only been out a couple three years as "New Vaqueros", but the frame is the original Ruger frame of old. The Colt-ish frame just seems to fit the hand better, they fit in leather cut for the Model P Colt and unlike the tradional Model Ps and clones are safe with 6 beans in the wheel. My Ruger S/As are older and have adjustable sights, but aren't .45 Colt so I can only comment from shooting several friends .45 Colt Ruger S/As. If later you decide you want to dress up like a fool and shoot cowboy matches, you're half way there, with pistols anyway
wink.gif

Of course if you can afford the best, like Nesikabay said, Freedom Arms Model 83 in .454 Casull & .45 Colt cylinder is the way to go. Shoot .45 Colt unless/until you want the added power of the Casull. You can even get a .45ACP cylinder fitted too if you're already set up for it. FA revolvers have a larger grip and a grip angle similar to a Colt Bisley rather than the traditional Model P Colt. Got a friend in Western Montana who works as a logger and occasional guide who swears by his. Besides, they are damned nice folks there in Freedom, Wyoming and I'd imagine since they are just a wide spot in the road on the way north to Jackson the economy could sure use the boost.

Like Psywar said, USFA has an excellent reputation, but I've only shot a couple myself, and then only a cylinder or two.

I've got several friends who shoot nothing but Colts, but privately admit that some of the clones work just as well as the 3rd. generation Colts. They also insist that there is just something about the Colt, the original Colt. And I'll admit they're probably right, choosing a S/A and a 136 year old cartridge to put in it over of a modern D/A Magnum is nostalgia at it's finest.

Enjoy the nostalgia, sometimes the searchin' is half the fun.

Best of luck in your search...

Not often that I can contribute to a post, but no one has posted pics yet.
A pair of FA 97 45's. The 97 is quite a bit lighter than the rugers.
For the money, a Ruger stainless bisley is really hard to beat.
013.jpg

Ruger Super Black Hawk 44 Mag with Pacmyer rubber grips. It loves 305 gr HC lead bullets powered by a healthy dose of 2400, or 296.

White trash cowboy gun is the EAA Bounty hunter. I have one and it is great, accurate and reliable. I have a friend that has one he wants to sell if your interested. PM me for details.

No pics , but I have a 4 3/4" Colt .45 Peacemaker , 1970's , tuned by Bob James out of Arizona ( Fast Gun for Hire ), with a .45 ACP cylinder and extra 7 1/2" barrel , set up by Bob . I also have a brace of consecutive ,factory ivory 3" Sheriff Models in .44/40 - .44 Special , also tuned by Bob... If I were to do it again , I might try to find a 'Texas Longhorn' , in .44 MAG ... Samuel Colt was left-handed , and that's how he built his revolvers . Longhorns are hand-made mirror-images ( right-handed ) , out of high-grade alloys . That's how it can handle .44 MAG , without making it bigger ... Bob and his wife do shooting exhibitions ...

hard to beat the ruger vaquero right now, i have a set of 4 5/8 blued vaqueros i use for sass shooting. Fun good shooting little guns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.44/40 Colt factory scratched

DSCN0087.jpg
</div></div>

Beautiful! Love the colts! Freind of mine just picked up a colt walker. Ill try to get photos for you guys

Ruger SBH 44 Mag. My first handgun, bought it in 1977. Cut bbl to 4 5/8", Belt Mtn locking cylinder pin, Bowen rear sight, steel ejector rod housing, Hogue grip.
Img_3479.jpg

Copyof2009-07-0712-09-15.jpg

Shooting at 15x25" steel at 375 yards. It's a hoot. Modest load of 240gr SWC at 1100 fps via 11.0gr Unique.
Copyof2009-07-0711-55-05.jpg

It must be the moon or something....

I got the itch for a single shooter, my first ever. I looked long and hard at the Uberti line and also thought about getting a lever gun replica to match, both in 45 LC. Then I tried to buy a case of 45 LC and well, I re-evaluated. I have a sweet little Rossi PUMA lever gun in 357 and bought a Ruger Vaquero in .357 to match it up with. While I agree with most of the posts above, the 45 LC is a good calibver for these guns, I am new caliber averse and went with a .357. Shoots well so far, lots of fun on steel plates.

I have and shoot two sets of Ruger Bisley Vaquero's....two stainless,and two blued. In the excess of 10,000 rounds on the blued set without a hicup...replaced base pin on both. Also,a set of EMF single action 44/40's as a backup set.Wood grips on everything.

I have a Ruger Bisley(LOOOONG barrel), Vaquero and a Bisley Vaquero and oodles of Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks.

I think I have a couple of other "cowboy style" guns that I cannot recall.

I like my Bisleys in .45LC. That long-barreled pistol is a hoot to shoot at 100yds.

I have a Ruger Single Six with both cylinders, a replica 58 Remington Army, a Colt 1847 Walker , a 1862 Colt Pocket navy, and 4 Colt 1862 Pocket Police, unfired. All the Colts are 1973 Colt production.
Trying to make up my mind on something in 45 Colt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Ruger Single Six with both cylinders, a replica 58 Remington Army, a Colt 1847 Walker , a 1862 Colt Pocket navy, and 4 Colt 1862 Pocket Police, unfired. All the Colts are 1973 Colt production.
Trying to make up my mind on something in 45 Colt. </div></div>

I'm looking at a Single Six with 22LR and 22 WMR cylinders, I've heard rumors that the conversion pistols are not as accurate in 22LR because the WMR barrel has a different bore size?

Do you see a difference with yours?

Ruger Vaquero, US Firearms-quite a peach.
For pure rugged quality- Freedom.

If you are looking for a plinker just for fun, you really can't go wrong with the Vaquero. I love mine.

I figured that someone had a Freedom Arms 45/70 that they shot . Of course having never seen one....I thought that they were also single shot.45/70SS

First post, hello everyone!

I have a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in stainless steel I love! It's a special edition, older model (large frame), 5.5" barrel with an unfluted cylinder for 45 Colt, and an extra cylinder for 45 ACP.

I like it better than the regular Blackhawk because of the Bisley grip and hammer, feels and shoots WAAAY better. It has handled plenty of magnum level loads without a complaint, including Buffalo Bore's 325 grain load that chrono'd at 1330 FPS out of my gun, can't want for more than that really. It also is as accurate as I can use.

I'll post pics when I get home, but here's a link to an article about my Ruger model from GunBlast.com. Mine is just like the stainless in the pics, but with gray and black laminate grips instead of the rosewood type.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_Stainless_Bisley.htm

I've got a Colt as pictured by 308Sako but mines in 44 Special. Also have a stainless Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. Oh, and a Colt New Frontier in .22/22 mag.

ruger.jpg

Here is my "woods walking" handgun. It started as a regular New Model Blackhawk in .357 built in 1976 with the "Liberty" inscription. I added a Bisley hammer and one thing lead to another. I traded off photography services to have it engraved and to have the birdshead grip made.A little more trading and I had the stag grips made along with the matching Chute knife. Added a belt Mtn. base pin and replaced the rear sight to finish it up. One day if I put it down long enough I should have it re-finished.

Switch,

I have new caliber phobia so I searched far a 45 LC / .45 acp as I always have plenty of acp ammo. No Joy, I have a nice little .357 lever gun, so I bought my Vaq in .357. Where can I find the Sandal wood? (Although they look more pimp than the plastic. I still like them!)

thx

DSCN2488.jpg

Ruger Vaquero in .44 mag. Don't shoot it much but it's stout as could be.

vaquero_B.jpg

ruger 'old model' vaquero in .45colt, 7.5" stainless. it's a lot of fun.