• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing skim bedding amount needed?

jasonZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
independence, kansas 67301
Yes I'm probably gonna get flamed, but I've searched it on google adding snipershide to it, with nothing to show for it. So here it goes. I'm planning on bedding my Savage 10fp that's mounted in a Choate tactical stock with aluminum chassis block. This stock seems to be making contact through out the entire length of the block/action based on the marks on the block. I have to order some product, I.E. either devcon or marine tex. My question is how much product do I need to get. I really want to go with Devcon, but I really don't need a pound of the stuff as I don't know when I'm gonna need anymore of it! I've found a 2oz pkg of Marine Tex, but I'm not certain that is enough. The block has a pretty fair channel in the middle, it's not a simple V-block setup. It's more like a V-Block with a channel in the bottom. I could post pics if necessary. I simply would like opinions on how much I need to order or if anybody knows of a site that I can order less than a pound of Devcon. I'm also considering whether or not I need to bed the CDI DBM?

Ok flame on, but I didn't see anything in the bedding project post on a rough amount of product needed to complete a basic skim bedding job.

Re: skim bedding amount needed?

That's cool, I just wasn't really sure and don't want to get started and then realize that I don't have enough product to do the job! I'm still thinking about ordering a lb of Devcon, but man I hate to waste it like that. I just don't have enough rifles that need worked on!

Think of all the fun stuff you can do with the extra devcon.....repair a broken rod on your indy car, replace that broken wing on your space shuttle......glue your buddies door shut on his new car.....tis wonderful stuff!

Reactions: camocorvette

When I bedded the Choate stock on my Savage 110FP, I guess that I mixed approximately 3-4 oz of epoxy, and threw away at least half of it. A 2 oz package should do the trick if you are reasonably careful with its application; i.e. don't completely fill the mag well or trigger cavity.

That being said, I have a 25lb bucket of Devcon steel putty in my shop, so perhaps I am not the guy to be giving advice on minimum material quantities
smirk.gif

If you screw something up...with the Marine Tex you'll need to buy another kit. Why do I say that? Because Marine Tex is more brittle than Devcon in my experience. It is easy to chip a bit off an edge or off the aluminum. I think the Devcon is more "adhesive" than the Marine Tex. I use Devcon for all sorts of repairs, from boat work to handles on tools. None of mine has ever "gone off" from age. In fact, when squirrels ate holes in the tops of my plastic gas cans, I patched the holes with the stuff.

TacticaJ,
Check out ProBed-2000 From Score High Gunsmithing, Avail trough Midway USA or direct. Stuff works great, super user friendly, and is made for bedding rifles. Contact Charlie at:
1-800-326-5632
www.scorehi.com
I'm sure he will have small amounts, and will help with any other questions you have about the process.

1 lb of Devcon is probably not as much as you're thinking it is and if you decide to bed the bottom metal later you'd have to order some more Marine Tex any way. So you might as well go ahead and get the 1 lb kit now and save yourself some hassle later. It would probably be about the same price as buying two packages of Marine Tex and having to pay for shipping twice.

Plus, like someone else said, it won't go bad without being mixed.

Better to have it and not need it...

So how important is it to bed the CDI? I've never bedded anything, other than the scope rail about a week ago. It turned out well, so I figured I should do this as well. I'm not 100% confident about doing it, as I tried it once before and it turned out so so, but that was on a cheap little 22 that I didn't care if I screwed up. I'm more concerned about this and depending on who you talk to, there is mixed emotions on putting tension on the action while in the stock for the drying process. I'm gonna use the tape on the barrel in the barrel channel trick and not put any tension on the action once it's inserted into the stock. We'll see how it turns out I guess. I'm now more concerned about what release agent to use, as again in my research there are several possibilities to use. I'll probably try the kiwi shoe polish as I used carnuba wax on my rail project. It worked, but I was concerned at first because it didn't just pop off when I went to remove it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how important is it to bed the CDI? I've never bedded anything, other than the scope rail about a week ago. It turned out well, so I figured I should do this as well. I'm not 100% confident about doing it, as I tried it once before and it turned out so so, but that was on a cheap little 22 that I didn't care if I screwed up. I'm more concerned about this and depending on who you talk to, there is mixed emotions on putting tension on the action while in the stock for the drying process. I'm gonna use the tape on the barrel in the barrel channel trick and not put any tension on the action once it's inserted into the stock. We'll see how it turns out I guess. I'm now more concerned about what release agent to use, as again in my research there are several possibilities to use. I'll probably try the kiwi shoe polish as I used carnuba wax on my rail project. It worked, but I was concerned at first because it didn't just pop off when I went to remove it! </div></div>

+1 on getting 1lb of Devcon. It's nice to have extra on hand, and for future projects.

Being that you've done a bedding job in the past, I think this job will come out nice for you.

Good call on the barrel channel "tape" method, and not tightening the action screws. That is definitely the finest way to bed a rifle in my (and many others') opinions.

Lastly, I think you should bed your bottom metal, once you've finished the action bedding. It can be done all at once, but I'd recommend that only for those that have done a bunch of bedding.

Good luck - I'm sure it'll turn out nice.

I bit the bullet and ordered a lb of Devcon yesterday. So I should have more then enough and probably even enough to redo it if I have to. Thanks for the help guys.

I'd at least tape the action to the stock, with dummy action bolts installed.

Let us know how it shoots when your done
smile.gif

There will be dowels or dummy bolts. My concern with putting any type of pressure or securing the action to the stock is stress. I'm going to try it the way its posted in the above sticky with tape on the barrel for support and no tension on the action. If it doesn't work or reduces accuracy then I guess I'll have to redo it. Out of all the threads I've seen and read, I like this method the best. I could see how somebody could put more tension on one end or the other with tape or surgical tube and reduce the effectiveness of the bed job. We'll see what happens and I'll post pics when I'm done. I think I'm gonna go shoot a group to use as a reference for the before accuracy and then see what happens. It'll be a couple weeks probably before I get started, so feel free to continue the advice or criticism. thanks, Jason

i used the two small tubes of JB Weld and had plenty left over. i think they are 1 oz each? maybe 4 oz? i still have some left over

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd at least tape the action to the stock, with dummy action bolts installed.

smile.gif
</div></div>

there's no reason to tape the action to the stock if you wrap the barrel up with multiple wraps of tape in two spots to keep it centered and level. read the bedding sticky by Roscoe, it'll show you exactly how to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phideaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd at least tape the action to the stock, with dummy action bolts installed.

smile.gif
</div></div>

there's no reason to tape the action to the stock if you wrap the barrel up with multiple wraps of tape in two spots to keep it centered and level. read the bedding sticky by Roscoe, it'll show you exactly how to do it. </div></div>

Very good sticky! May skim bed my 2-HS and B&C stocks using this method.

Hey axe, long time no speaka. I used JB on my scope rail and i thought about buying some more, but figured I just jump on the band wagon and get some devcon. We'll see how it turns out! Ever get this freaking week over with! It's freaking neewollah time, which is a bad time of year for us, and maybe I can get this project started. Thinking I'll start stock prep this Thursday, since that's the only day off this week.

Well I got my devcon and everything I need (I think), so I decided to try it today. I took a couple 3" bolts and cut the heads off, then ground then down to a pointed type end for alignment bolts. I used Kiwi neutral polish for a release agent, based on what everybody else says they are using it. So I taped off the areas of the stock that I didn't want devcon on. I sanded the area's that I wanted stuff to stick too and then put the Kiwi on the areas that I didn't want stuff to stick to. So I mixed and applied my Devcon and dropped the barreled action into the stock to sit for...well along time! We'll see how it goes and I'm certain that I have plenty more to do it again if necessary! I'll post some pics of it when I'm done, plus I did stop and take a few pics after I had everything done and stuck together. I should took some during the process, but it wasn't at the top of my list. I did forget to put some Kiwi in the stock bolt holes, but I know I put enough on everything else so I should be able to pull it out and then drill/dremel the holes back to size if necessary.

it should turn out well. i used scotch tape to cover a few holes i couldnt quite use putty or kiwi on. worked well.

it looks decent for a second time. I think I could have done a couple things better. I'll post some pics up probably tomorrow. Still curing!

IMAG0107.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

Ok well here are some pics of the bedding project. Not much, because I was into the work and didn't think to back off and take some more pics as I went along. I also included one of the finished product. All in all it turned out well and there is not stress in the bedding. I tightened it down and cycled the bolt and I think it's smoother operating than it was before it was bedded. It made contact with the entire bedding block prior to the bedding job, but It fits really well now! Thanks to everybody for their assistance and of course to the sticky above! Thanks, Jason