• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Skins back from dipping...(PICS UP)

netranger6

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Vicoria, Texas
They look good, other than all the dots that left an impression in the clear coat from bubble wrap during delivery. Don't know if it was still wet or what, but about 3 dozen or so all over the finish. Any idea on how to get them out? Dipped in MC.

Re: Skins back from dipping...

0000 steel wool and some elbow grease might work. Depends how bad the finish is messed up.

Here are some pics of my rifle herpes! Lol. Was advised to try using 1500 grit wet sand paper, one pass, and see what happens.

IMG_0022-1.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

that is the special ups clearcoating. poeple pay big bucks for that.

as the saying goes....

You showed me yours....I will show you mine...
laugh.gif

Take it in the dirt a few time and it will be all good....

It will spend some time in the safe, of course. Really, it looks like lizard skin when the sun hits it, almost holographic. This has been a long project for me, and my only hobby since having my little monster. So, it's something I would like fixed for the OCD in me. Lol. These spots run the length of the skins, and the cheek rest.

It's perpelxing, because some areas are fine, while some aren't. Almost as if the bubble wrap itself had some clear on it when they wrapped 'em up.

I'd send em back.

If they have clear on them, you could use a light buffing compound with a soft cloth.

that looks badass, minus the packing dots, who did em?

They look great, but i am ocd also and would send them back if i could not correct them myself. Who did them?

Have you tried wiping it down with anything? I got some bubble wrap in that would leave marks on my parts just like you see on your stock. It was a film that was on the bubble wrap. Bubble wrap is plastic and is molded. Plastic has some oils and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb3506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that looks badass, minus the packing dots, who did em? </div></div>

freedomgraphix.com, in Ada, OK. They are stand up dudes.

Gonna try wiping them down, maybe it is just oils as you say. Waiting for Hondo to get back with me to see if I should use 1500 wet grit, but I'd hate to fuck up the paint, as I have zero skills in this department.

Regardless of whether or not you intend to take a beltsander to them, you paid for a service, you expected it to be right and it is not. I would send them back so you can get what you expected.

It has been my experience with stuff like this that if I let stuff slide it eats at me far longer than the trouble to get it right.

good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb3506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that looks badass, minus the packing dots, who did em? </div></div>

freedomgraphix.com, in Ada, OK. They are stand up dudes. </div></div>

Hondo will take good care of you...

They are gonna make it right if need be, already spoke with 'em. It's kind of my fault too, as I asked for them to be done by this weekend so I could put rounds down range. Turn around time was just over two weeks.

As Glen said, it may very well be from the bubble wrap, as there are 3 coats of matte/flat clear, and these dots are glossy.

Sounds like a good stand up company. I might have to look em up when I need to get my new stick done up!!

Hondo is good people. Never met him, went off a reccomendation from guys here on the hide, and couldn't be happier in the dealing.

Witch Doc-

I know what you are saying my friend, almost like I am approaching the last day of a 7 day vacation..

Looks good! curious as to how that stuff will come off, I think Glen is on to something. Bet it just wipes off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems hard as a rock. According to Hondo, can withstand 400 degree temps. </div></div>

I was more wondering how easily it scratches, etc. Does anyone have any long term experience with this stuff?

If it is an automotive type clear coat over the the camo it is pretty easy to wet sand and buff out. I can walk you through it. Shoot me a pm if you want to give it a try.

Hitting it with 1500 Wet grit paper as we speak. Doing an okay job, and the finish actually feels smoother. May hit all of it this way.

Still very curious how this holds up to a sparayed PTFE coating.
Aka...KG GunKote, Cerakote etc...

Well, if I was going to have the action/bolt/barrel done, I would go that route. I was tired of failing at paint jobs on my skins and rest, so had it dipped.

Update:

1500 Wet Grit took care of rifle herpes.

id leave it be. looks fine. its a rifle which is a tool for shooting, not a stuffed animal you cuddle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">id leave it be. looks fine. its a rifle which is a tool for shooting, not a stuffed animal you cuddle. </div></div>

Maybe I cuddle my rifle, thats between me and my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">id leave it be. looks fine. its a rifle which is a tool for shooting, not a stuffed animal you cuddle. </div></div>

+1

If you saw how my Mk13 shot you'd mount it like a Prom Queen.

We are not to cuddle our Rifles ? ? Is still OK to hold it while I sleep ? and We still can give it a girl's name right ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EdZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How durable is that dipped finish? </div></div>

Have been beating mine up on regular basis...nothing is giving up on it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good! curious as to how that stuff will come off, I think Glen is on to something. Bet it just wipes off. </div></div>

If you are wiping with Acetone you can might eat into it....

if you all cuddle rifles then you might want to get out of the house more often and seek the companionship of females.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you all cuddle rifles then you might want to get out of the house more often and seek the companionship of females..... </div></div>

Your freshly married, give it some time and you'll prefer cuddling your rifles too....LoL..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you all cuddle rifles then you might want to get out of the house more often and seek the companionship of females..... </div></div>

Your freshly married, give it some time and you'll prefer cuddling your rifles too....LoL.. </div></div>

Very true.

Why is the buttpad on upside down?

Rich

I see nothing but a partial barrelled action floating on a bipod.