• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Small framed hunter custom rifle build

Jason Wells

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Staunton VA
Well, I've finally got enough coin together to build a hunting rifle just the way I want. First hurdle is caliber choice. I've had a 300 win mag TC Encore for a couple years, and shot it a bunch, but it/ me aren't nearly as accurate as I want. I can only get 2-3" groups with this gun @ 100 yds- BUT I cant put my 209X50 muzzle-loader barrel on shooting 150 grains of 777 pushing a 240 grain bullet and shoot quite well. I know it's a different type of recoil, but the muzzle-loader kicks like a bitch and I can hit with it- it doesn't feel any different than the 300. I've been told there was a noticeable difference in recoil between a win mag and a wsm, so I picked up a Savage 11 in 300 WSM, this thing kicks worse than the win-mag, and I can't hit shit with it either. One common denominator is the scope, I used the same VariX II on both rifles, so I 'm going to try another scope and take both back to the range for some more testing. I love the idea of the 300, plenty gun for anything from white-tails to mid sized African plains game- but if I can't shoot it, its useless.

Any smaller framed guys out their with any advice? I check in at about 155lbs.

I'm not againts the idea of picking up a couple more inexpensive rifes to test calibers, but I'm not sure where to head next.

You can read stuff on the Hide until you're blue in the face. Some things to consider when dealing with recoil is the caliber and the actual weight of your rifle. My MK13 (300WM) recoils like a 308 because it's 16lbs. I'm going through the same thing you are as far as picking a hunting caliber. Give yourself an honest assessment of what and where you'll be hunting. I'm considering a .260 or 7mm08. These rounds have high BC bullets, good velocity, plenty of killing power for whitetails and low recoil to boot. MUCH MUCH less recoil than the 300WM you're shooting. I'm considering using these cartridges for elk and if you check out the hunting forums you'll see that .260's are killing truckloads full of elk. Some would consider these under powered for elk and that's why I'm talking to some very experienced dudes about it to make sure I'm making the right choice. Lastly worry about African game when you go to Africa. You can always purchase a larger caliber rifle if that once in a lifetime hunt becomes available. Just my .02

You can read stuff on the Hide until you're blue in the face. Some things to consider when dealing with recoil is the caliber and the actual weight of your rifle. My MK13 (300WM) recoils like a 308 because it's 16lbs. I'm going through the same thing you are as far as picking a hunting caliber. Give yourself an honest assessment of what and where you'll be hunting. I'm considering a .260 or 7mm08. These rounds have high BC bullets, good velocity, plenty of killing power for whitetails and low recoil to boot. MUCH MUCH less recoil than the 300WM you're shooting. I'm considering using these cartridges for elk and if you check out the hunting forums you'll see that .260's are killing truckloads full of elk. Some would consider these under powered for elk and that's why I'm talking to some very experienced dudes about it to make sure I'm making the right choice. Lastly worry about African game when you go to Africa. You can always purchase a larger caliber rifle if that once in a lifetime hunt becomes available. Just my .02

Yeah, your right, I'll get to hunt elk with a rifle every few years, moose/ caribou maybe once or twice in my life, and Africa is in 2018 but may be the only time I'm ever there. I would just like to have a rifle that I pick up and have 100% confidence in when I take a 40 yard shot at a whitetail doe, or a 400 yard shot at a bull elk, but regardless of how heavy a bullet I send or how fast it gets there, If I can't hit a quarter from 200 yards off of a bench every time, I don't want to hunt with it. I've got a bone stock model 700ADL in 270 that's killed everything I've ever pointed it at with cheap core-lokt ammo, and it'll shoot an inch at a hundred yards every day all day- hard to beat that for a rifle I bought 18 years ago for $319! Thanks for you input!

Why not stick with .270? In my opinion its plenty of gun for elk or moose. If you can handle the recoil of the .270 and are set on buting a new rifle, then I think 30-06 would be a good choice too.

The .270 is a fine choice for elk and other large game. As is the 308,7-08,260, etc. dont worry about magnum recoiling rifles, especially if your a smaller fella. Shoot what your good with, use the 270. Or if you need an excuse to build a new gun (who doesnt?) then build on you crazy diamond. Pick a caliber out of the many good ones mentioned, it really isnt as important as your ability and confidence to shoot it. Gimme a sweet shootin dead eye 260 over a brow-splittin ho hum magnum any day.

Why not stick with .270? In my opinion its plenty of gun for elk or moose. If you can handle the recoil of the .270 and are set on buting a new rifle, then I think 30-06 would be a good choice too.

Good advice. If you're considering going custom consider this. If you really enjoy your .270 send it to GAP, Short Action Customs, Beanland or a number of other well known smiths. Have them put a #3 contour barrel or slightly heavier with a fluting job. Pick a Manners, EH1,2,3 or a McMillan Game Scout. You'll have a more accurate rifle, more pleasurable to shoot, and it'll look awesome. I think some countries in Africa require a minimum cartridge of around 375 H&H. Save up some money and before 2018 pick up a Ruger African and call it a day. You could always use one of their rifles and you'll save on permits and baggage fees.

Good advice. If you're considering going custom consider this. If you really enjoy your .270 send it to GAP, Short Action Customs, Beanland or a number of other well known smiths. Have them put a #3 contour barrel or slightly heavier with a fluting job. Pick a Manners, EH1,2,3 or a McMillan Game Scout. You'll have a more accurate rifle, more pleasurable to shoot, and it'll look awesome. I think some countries in Africa require a minimum cartridge of around 375 H&H. Save up some money and before 2018 pick up a Ruger African and call it a day. You could always use one of their rifles and you'll save on permits and baggage fees.

I used to own a 260 in model 7 years ago, it was a kick butt little rifle, hate that one got away. I like my 270, but it can sit in the safe- I've got an itch to build a new rifle! I know accuracy is everything- I just can't imagine shooting at a moose with a 140 grain 260, but it only takes one hole through the heart to kill em!

I used to own a 260 in model 7 years ago, it was a kick butt little rifle, hate that one got away. I like my 270, but it can sit in the safe- I've got an itch to build a new rifle! I know accuracy is everything- I just can't imagine shooting at a moose with a 140 grain 260, but it only takes one hole through the heart to kill em!

Many moose have been taken with a 6.5x55.

Put the bullet in the boiler room and they won't go far. They are taken every year with ,243s. Shot placement is everything.

Muzzle brake. I have one on my .300RUM and I am 5'7" 155 lbs. myself and it helped immensely. My 11 year old daughter has even shot it.

Old school cool, how about a 257 Roberts. 6.5x55 swede 0r 6.5 284, hell 284Winny or 280 rem, 7-08. All top notch calibers with mild recoil

I have an old fn mauser 22-250 conversion with a toasted barrel. I'm going to build it for my good lady to bring with on an African small predator/plains game hunt. She doesn't deal with recoil well, so my top 3 runners are 7-08, 257 Roberts and 6.5swede.

let us know which way you go.

Cheers,
Breeze

Old school cool, how about a 257 Roberts. 6.5x55 swede 0r 6.5 284, hell 284Winny or 280 rem, 7-08. All top notch calibers with mild recoil

I have an old fn mauser 22-250 conversion with a toasted barrel. I'm going to build it for my good lady to bring with on an African small predator/plains game hunt. She doesn't deal with recoil well, so my top 3 runners are 7-08, 257 Roberts and 6.5swede.

let us know which way you go.

Cheers,
Breeze

I'm doing a little recoil shopping now. I've had the 300 wind mag with no break for awhile- kicks a tad to much, I picked up a 300WSM- kicks worse, I've got some trading guns so I've found a 7mm and a 300win mag with a break, I might trade into these two and see where that lands me. I think I would rather be into a 7mm with no break than a 300win mag with a break. I'm interested in the 280, but will be limited to factory ammo until I'm finally set up for reloading. The quest continues!

Sounds like you are asking a lot of 1 rifle. Where it will be way overkill for one think and slightly underpowered for another. Do you really honestly like the 300 win mag or 300 wsm rifles besides the recoil? If so, take a couple hundred out of your budget for the new build and have a smith put a good brake in it for you. That will make it much easier on you and cover you for any moose hunts and be great for elk. Not sure on African game laws, but should be good to go for a significant portion of them. If not, the gun rental may be an option. I have no Africa experience, so someone else is better to chime in on that than me. If you reload, 260 is an awesome all around whitetail round. Hunted with one last year and used 140 amaxs out to 400. Only had one deer that wasn't DRT. She rolled with feet in the air, then somehow got up and ran 20 yards with a baseball sized exit hole. If you don't reload, the 6.5 creedmoor is pretty much the same as the 260, just hornady factory ammo is cheap and fairly easy to find. If you don't like the 6.5s, 243 would be my next choice. Low recoil, flat, accurate, and ammo is in every Wal-Mart or hardware store in the country. A good heavy 243 bullet is going to pile up any whitetail with a good shot.

Any of the options mentioned above will work fine though. Your sig shows you have a 308, so what about that since you won't need to change calibers?

Last edited:
Sounds like you are asking a lot of 1 rifle. Where it will be way overkill for one think and slightly underpowered for another. Do you really honestly like the 300 win mag or 300 wsm rifles besides the recoil? If so, take a couple hundred out of your budget for the new build and have a smith put a good brake in it for you. That will make it much easier on you and cover you for any moose hunts and be great for elk. Not sure on African game laws, but should be good to go for a significant portion of them. If not, the gun rental may be an option. I have no Africa experience, so someone else is better to chime in on that than me. If you reload, 260 is an awesome all around whitetail round. Hunted with one last year and used 140 amaxs out to 400. Only had one deer that wasn't DRT. She rolled with feet in the air, then somehow got up and ran 20 yards with a baseball sized exit hole. If you don't reload, the 6.5 creedmoor is pretty much the same as the 260, just hornady factory ammo is cheap and fairly easy to find. If you don't like the 6.5s, 243 would be my next choice. Low recoil, flat, accurate, and ammo is in every Wal-Mart or hardware store in the country. A good heavy 243 bullet is going to pile up any whitetail with a good shot.

Any of the options mentioned above will work fine though. Your sig shows you have a 308, so what about that since you won't need to change calibers?

The 308 I have is a 700 milspec with a nightforce nxs scope, so it weighs 11-12 lbs., not really a hunting rifle. I've got a bone stock 700 in 270 and it's all the gun I'd ever need in Virginia- probably most anywhere I would hunt, but I'm looking for a touch heavier bullet to allow a little margin for error in shooting and a little more distance toting the extra weight. I like the idea of the 300 win-mag but like I said in a previous post, pinpoint accuracy is far more important than shooting a big magnum. A 140-160 grain delivered with sub-moa accuracy holding enough velocity to punch into the heart is all I need or want to take most anything on North America.

The 308 I have is a 700 milspec with a nightforce nxs scope, so it weighs 11-12 lbs., not really a hunting rifle. I've got a bone stock 700 in 270 and it's all the gun I'd ever need in Virginia- probably most anywhere I would hunt, but I'm looking for a touch heavier bullet to allow a little margin for error in shooting and a little more distance toting the extra weight. I like the idea of the 300 win-mag but like I said in a previous post, pinpoint accuracy is far more important than shooting a big magnum. A 140-160 grain delivered with sub-moa accuracy holding enough velocity to punch into the heart is all I need or want to take most anything on North America.

Sorry as I may have been vague, but I was suggesting another 308, then you won't have another caliber to load for if you reload. 308 should get it done.

I agree with 260,7-08,6.5-284 hell a 308 with 185s or 208 Amax would do everything you are talking about it won't be the best but it will work.

I agree with 260,7-08,6.5-284 hell a 308 with 185s or 208 Amax would do everything you are talking about it won't be the best but it will work.

I've got a line on a used 700 in 7mm, I might trade into it and give it a try- as a recoil test, that will be rifle #3, the 300 win mag and 300 wsm kick too much for me. This is frustrating, but fun too. Every time I come home off the road, I take some trade equity out of the safe and hit the local gun-shops, I trade around guns so I can get a feel for different calibers. I'll keep shooting! In the meantime, keep the feedback coming, thanks!