• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

small pistol primers for.223

jwr1076

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2009
alabama
came across 1000 small pistol primers {CCI 500} guy told me he had used them reloading .223 anybody try this ? I am sure its possible any tips would be appriciated

Re: small pistol primers for.223

They are especially well suited for reloading small pistol cartridges.

With wery low pressure small rifle cartridges they May be ok but... There have been several posts on this subject recently regarding which of those low pressure cartridges they may be used. .223 typically isn't one of them.

You have only have two eyes and two sides of your face: some people may do fine with only one each, I'm guessing you'd like to keep yours more or less the way they are.

I started a thread a while ago addressing this issue....

long story short:
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">DO NOT DO IT!!!</span></span></span>

You can use small rifle primers in pistol for "major" loads that are worked up, but, I wouldn't even try to run small pistol primers in .223.

You could maybe find somebody local to you and make a trade. Although CCI isn't one of my favorites, if you were close, in Wisconsin, I'd help you out.

thanks for the info i can alwayuse good advise i really would rather keep all God gave me in its proper place

One primer is taller than the other...i can't remember which one it is...but basically it would mean you'd have to ream primer pockets to compensate for the difference in tolerances. Personally I wouldn't bother because then you'd have batches of cases with pockets for small pistol and cases with pockets for small rifle.

Large rifle and large pistol primers are different "height". Small rifle and small pistol primers are same.

I did this once on accident when I was new to reloading. The only thing that was funny was that the loads were about 200 fps slow when I chronoed them and I couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed I had been using the wrong primers. Doh!