• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smoke coming out bolt shroud

Jack Daniel

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2012
Wyo
Was shooting 308, 175 smk, 44 gr 8208, br2 primer, Lapua case. Just started to see ejector mark at 43.5 gr so shot the 44 gr load. On the third one noticed small amount of smoke coming from the tang shroud area. No sticky bolt at all. Primers were cratered some. 2830 fps. Shot really well? This is way faster than I thought I could go, but? No visible signs of gas escaping the primer pocket? Tried a shitload of powders and this is the first one to show promise. Where is the smoke coming from. Kinda freaking me out.

Sure your primer doesn't have little black spot in it? Sounds like a pierced primer to me.

Well, let's see; Hodgdon data shows max load is 42.5 grains 8208XBR. My old eyes seem to see that they measured more pressure with it than any other powder for the 175SMK. I would back her down a little and see if the smoke clears.

You could go up to 45 grains and see if it gets better... ;)

Are you sure the primer is not pierced? Have you decapped any of those brass yet to see how the pocket feels?

I load 8208 XBR exclusively in 308, and looking at the velocity you are seeing you are way over pressure.

Where is the smoke coming from. Kinda freaking me out.

You should've felt a light dusting of particles on your upper lip, right before the smoke blew up your nose. Your first reaction to mock Robert Duvall by pronouncing to your buddies, "I love the smell of gun powder in the morning", should quickly be replaced by realizing you're only a couple of grains away from blowing the right side of your face off!

Yeah. Decapped it and there was some leakage. No piercing though. Loose pocket when I put another primer in. Chucked it. Realize it was too hot by the books. Just didn't see much warning on the other 4 in that group or the other 5 with half grain less. The half grain less group had no ejector marks, bolt lifted like empty, primer looked normal? Guess I'll just chalk it up as a learning experience.

You should've felt a light dusting of particles on your upper lip, right before the smoke blew up your nose. Your first reaction to mock Robert Duvall by pronouncing to your buddies, "I love the smell of gun powder in the morning", should quickly be replaced by realizing you're only a couple of grains away from blowing the right side of your face off!

You've now changed my yearly Thanksgiving ritual from watching Christmas Vacation to watching Christmas Vacation AND reading this response.

You've now changed my yearly Thanksgiving ritual from watching Christmas Vacation to watching Christmas Vacation AND reading this response.

Didn't mean to sound that bad.
JD, I just went through a rash of pierced primers, got a new firing pin, but sure I still have pressure. Then I grabbed another gun and almost blew a case in half, separation.
I know the smell!

I just always had other signs before I got to this point. Or should I say I've never reached this point. I don't push the ragged edge like an adrenaline junky. Thanks for the info too

well ive had it come out of the bolt body area couple times before. both time too hot of loads. 1 blew out the side of the primer pocket, broke the primer pocket so brass was shot. The next was a hard bolt to open, I mean hammering it, but the rifle has a bad chamber so its hard to put rnds into the chamber, and to take them out even with not so hot loads

well ive had it come out of the bolt body area couple times before. both time too hot of loads. 1 blew out the side of the primer pocket, broke the primer pocket so brass was shot. The next was a hard bolt to open, I mean hammering it, but the rifle has a bad chamber so its hard to put rnds into the chamber, and to take them out even with not so hot loads

Why would you shoot the rifle if it's hard to close the bolt with a round in the chamber?

couldn't open it or eject the round. :p I didn't shoot it, my dad insisted so I backed away a little, but I knew he was having problems with his sizer.

Powders can do some unpredictable things when we push them beyond the pressure they were designed to work at.

I had a similar experience with Varget in my Creedmoor not too long ago. Didn't have any leaks, but pressure would spike without warning. I could see it as plain as day on the primers and the chronograph. Three or four normal shots and then an 80 fps jump in velocity accompanied by a completely flattened primer. Live and learn.

Last edited:
Memo to self: when developing a safe load, all hot gasses should exit the muzzle. BB

"the rifle has a bad chamber so its hard to put rnds into the chamber, and to take them out even with not so hot loads"

Yeah, jugged chambers do that.

Keep increasing charges a half grain at a time until something comes apart, then back off three quarter grain.

I dissagree. I think he should try 48gr and film it all for us to see!
You could go up to 45 grains and see if it gets better... ;)

Are you sure the primer is not pierced? Have you decapped any of those brass yet to see how the pocket feels?

I load 8208 XBR exclusively in 308, and looking at the velocity you are seeing you are way over pressure.

JD,
If it was my attempt at humor that got this gangbang started, I sincerely apologize, it wasn't my intent. If you're close to Gillette and want to shoot, I have access to 2 ranges, one to 1100, one to 2100, both pretty nice, and as of late we seem to be banging at least twice a week.

Why would you do increases of a half grain per charge? There's no benefit. You can skip right over an accurate charge weight and the increases are large enough to be dangerous. I do 0.2gr per charge, minimum of five steps between full grain increases and as many opportunities to avoid blowing up my gun and my face.

Lawn, you need to recognize sarcasm. Keep doing what you do, and disregard all that questionable "advice". BB

Hey Milo, yeah I'm in pine haven. I might come shoot with ya sometime. I'm heading to go shoot now, hopefully got this saga figured out. It's shooting in the high twos now (once), gotta see it twice so I can move on. Don't worry about the gangbang. I know I don't. Later