• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Snipers attack California power grid in 2013 - What?? US Gov't covered it up - Why??

JG26_Irish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
Morehead, KY
In the last week or so, this story just hit the news. It has been covered up for almost a year now:

Sniper attack on power grid alarms lawmakers - Electric Light & Power

Last year a sniper(s) attacked the PG&E power grid in California 1st taking out AT&T comms cables including 911 and then shooting over 100rds into a key substation taking out 17 of 20 transformers. It took 27 days to repair and only avoided blackouts with quick response by power company to reroute energy flow over alternative lines. A terrorist attack? Domestic attack? Who did this and why?

I have a extensive background in high voltage T&D power systems and over the years have seen the results of limited acts of domestic sabotage using rifles to take out key power transformers during strikes and what not. After 911, the threat of terrorist attack to the power grid seemed to me to be one of the greatest that we face in some parts of the country. We forget how dependent we are on electric power these days until we face a long term, wide-spread blackout (which rarely ever happens). Today, we communicate electronically, we do our banking, purchasing, selling and business all electronically. What would we do if 5, 6, 11 states or more suddenly went black, not for days, but for weeks or months? ATM's do not work, TV and radio is down. Gas pumps down, grocery stores cannot sell and refrigeration fails. Within days the telephones no longer work. Radio and cell repeaters fail. How much cash do you have in your pocket? How much fuel in the truck? How much fresh water is stored? How much canned, dried food do you have? What about your neighbors? How long before chaos takes over? The risk is real. We all need to be better prepared for events such as these. Even without terrorist threats there is still the risks from hurricane, tornado, earthquake.

I know why but it still concerns me that our Government chose to hide this terrorist act from us. That lack of information makes us less prepared instead of more. When I worked in California, we stored in our office enough emergency food and water to last for 20 days as a measure against earthquake. Yet nobody considered blackout. In the old days everybody had a fireplace or a potbellied stove in their homes and businesses. They traded and bought/sold using cash and all knew how to preserve food and meat using canning, smoking, drying, etc. Water came from the dug well in the yard. If a cash register was present, it was mechanical. If fuel was pumped, it was by hand. Today, that is NOT the case. That puts us all at risk. Manual, mechanical back up systems are needed for critical infrastructure. Cities are most at risk. The farmers have fuel in storage, some access to water, and both crops, and livestock to draw from in the even of an upset. Most city dwellers would be suffering from thirst and hunger within a matter of days. It could get ugly very quickly. Law enforcement would have difficulty even though backup generators and stored fuel would keep them operating for a while. After a few days or a week or so, even MRE's would start to sound good. Roman proverb that I paraphrase said, "Expect the best but prepare for the worst."

Irish

The details of the story are interesting. Thus wasn't Bubba out shooting for fun. They knew where to cut the phone lines, signals were made by flashlight etc

Or it was Dianne's cronies so she could push to ban all weapons in cali.

For entertainment purposes of course
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Or it was Dianne's cronies so she could push to ban all weapons in cali.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I do not usually say this in public but I have often wondered if our Gov't stages events using covert operators and actors to shape public opinion on key issues? In the case of this power grid attack, I do not think it was staged for the simple reason that the Gov't actively covered it up for about 9 months. You cannot hide it and expect much impact on public opinion. How long before we hear the anti-gun crowd calling any long range rifle with a scoped sight a "Sniper Rifle" and howling that no respectable hunter needs a rifle that can hit a 2" tgt at 1000yds.

Irish

My wife works with the electrical reliability of the grid and she was ignorant of the incident but unimpressed. Power was just routed around. The feds are good at the big stuff. Have a little ice and then you are fucked for a week from all the trees that took out the lines to the end user. They won't cut down the trees and they won't bury the lines.

We had severe icing here few days ago and quarter of a country was (small counrty though) offline for a few days so i can tell you first hand that if that happens in a metropolis and/or for a longer time every modern society would fall into chaos. As to the grid here you need to take out 3 junctions which form/feed grid circle around capitol and you have nothing to reroute. Things are very delicate and far from bullet proof. I'd imagine grid in US being similarly designed albeit a lot bigger so more options to bring power to any given area but in the end result might be the same if enough stations or lines go down.

We weren't told because Obama didn't want anyone to know of a potential terrorist attack on American soil. What we don't know won't hurt us! ​What an idiot he truly is.

Even though we were not told, it's kind of a good thing, because who ever did it did not get the media coverage they had hoped for. Terrorist love to panic people with mass media coverage of the damage they inflict! Also, it did not give the anti gun people more ammunition to use against us!.

Just my 2 cents.

Screams of a dry run or someone looking for information on how a response to an attack play itself out. I think the next 10-20 years are going to be a wake up call for the US as more attacks start to make their way stateside.

We are a far more vulnerable society than most people realize or would even want to believe. I have been amazed by just how uninformed most of the population is when taking calls for service and how little they seem to understand that the world is a much darker place than they'd believe. But hey, maybe I am the crazy one. Lol.

Last edited:
Screams of a dry run or someone looking for information on how a response to an attack play itself out. I think the next 10-20 years are going to be a wake up call for the US as more attacks start to make their way stateside.

We are a far more vulnerable society than most people realize or would even want to believe. I have been amazed by just how uninformed most of the population is when taking calls for service and how little they seem to understand that the world is a much darker place than they'd believe. But hey, maybe I am the crazy one. Lol.

If it means there will be no more "unPatriot Acts" Ill take vulnerable.

Lets just get real with defining the enemy, what their intentions are, and recognize that the citizens of the country are not the problem. They are law abiding, capable and willing to conduct this fight.