• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper's Hide "Gladius" Limited Edition M2009

Re: Sniper's Hide "Gladius" Limited Edition M2009

Not that I care much, I mean it is really just talk... but Nice Hijack Randy.

I get it, you're making a similar rifle, spec'd almost identical to the Gladius, ya, you're using your action from Phoenix and you used a Bartlein in the same contour, just not the tight bore version... right down to the Surefire brake.

if you wanted to try doing the build, you should ask, I would have no problem considering, GAP isn't my only choice, its just my easiest.

Any pics of the Gladius rifle

tons, although pictures don't make it shoot any better:
Gladius6.jpg

Gladius4.jpg

Gladius7.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not that I care much, I mean it is really just talk... but Nice Hijack Randy.

I get it, you're making a similar rifle, spec'd almost identical to the Gladius, ya, you're using your action from Phoenix and you used a Bartlein in the same contour, just not the tight bore version... right down to the Surefire brake.

if you wanted to try doing the build, you should ask, I would have no problem considering, GAP isn't my only choice, its just my easiest. </div></div>

LOL, No way no how.

Actually Gladius was the inspiration for the build I did. I had a local PD that was asking for something similar to the Gladius and they just happen to use Surefire brakes and cans. (Easier for them since Surefire is in Kalifornia) It was a one off for them, if I was doing it for me I wouldn't have used the adapter along with some other changes being made. The big thing was to have the action made to utilize both the AW and AICS mag.

My final verision will use a Bartlein Modified MTU threaded at 22", and McMillan stock. If someone wants one like I just did they can always call and order one when I start taking new build orders again.

No way would I even consider a theme build, I have enough to do as is, and like I said I know what a pain they can be.

Nice pics thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeep Chimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems as if there is enough interest to continue discussion, at least...... </div></div>

Continuing the discussion is not going to get them going. I have done a few group buys and builds, as soon as LL specs the build everyone and their mother want to make a few "small change", just read some of the post above. When that happens it's no longer a group buy project but a custom order. If that's the case then just call one of the builders and have it done your way.

There is a whole lot of work that goes into getting a group buy started. Just getting all the parts and different manufactures of those parts on the same page is a huge pain, and trying to make "small changes" will screw it all up. The whole point of the theme builds is they are all the same and are all kept simple.

Then there is the issue of deposit and wait time. Half up front and waiting six to eight months for the build is just more then some guys can stand. You might get 10 or 20 guys to "commit" but four months into it they need to back out and are asking for the deposit back. That puts the organizer in a bind because he had a commitment and has already paid for the materials. Now the organizer is out of pocket or needs to find someone to take that persons place in line for a special order rifle with fixed specs and no changes.

Not easy and I know how LL feels and I would not take on this project, the potential of out of pocket expense and headache are too high.

Here is another option for someone hot and bothered for a new theme build. If someone wants to take on this project, get the okay from LL and someone else be the head organizer and get it done, why does LL need to do it?
</div></div>

I respect your opinion as a custom rifle builder, you do awesome work, but this is just an idea being tossed around. We didn't imply a builder, just an idea. Your right, this might not happen. BUT I will agree with Chiller, Frank will have a lot more pull in the firearm industry then one of us. They know Frank is a serious shooter and spends most of his days behind a rifle. His opinion matters, and he has about 26,380 users listening to it.

If it is such a worry that people are going to back out of their theme build then they need to; one, not be an ass clown and commit, pay half up front and be told that it IS NOT refundable for any reason. We as the buyers commit to the purchase and build and will not disrespect the smith taking on our project. I think if you have a very strict set of guide lines and make people abide by them or potentially lose their money, also knowing this is going to be a $3,500 rifle (give or take), I dont many people will commit then back out knowing they will lose a good chunk of coin.

If its going to be done I think there should be a spec build by Frank. We either say yes or no and then once we get a set number he can start getting parts and a smith lined up. There is more then one way to go about it so that no one loses out. A lot of internet tough guys will get on here and say "ya Im in for one" and then he posts the price and build time. That will turn some away that are not serious.

There is no need to come on here and present a negative attitude to someones idea of another theme build. I loved the Valkyrie project so much I bought another one in a different caliber when someone backed out on George.

We as a community can make it work, or Frank can say this is to much of a headache and we move on......

And see I just want the change from a Surefail brak to an AAC brake.

I agree with LL .... everyone wants something just a little different and it goes from being a spec build to a custom build. I was in the construction business, people had X number of things they could change that were within specs, outside of X number and it turned into a custom and cost 30% more because now its a custom build and not a spec build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey LL what kind of range finder is that?

Thanks
L. </div></div>

DesertMonkey,

That's the Swarovski Laser Guide.

the build and putting the parts together is easy, heck we have been doing them in some form or another since 2004 with the first Sniper's Hide Rifle, we had AR10 after that, the Harbinger, the Valkyrie, so doing them is not hard, it just needs to be understood it would be a spec build, what I say goes, and if the builder says we can swap out a brake or something then we do it, otherwise if the builder says, no changes, it doesn't change. Usually than can swap small stuff out without a problem.

Stock, barrels, etc, are cake I can call anyone up and have whatever we need for the build in the gunsmiths hands no problem. Hell we even crossed gunsmith lines on the first Sniper's Hide build and that worked out fine.

But if the interest is there, I will be happy to spec out a gladius build and I don't even mind voting on which stock or which brake, or seeing if we can offer two brakes. That's not a problem... we just need sufficient interest to make it worth the favors we call in...

As far as Randy, hey he's in business making a similar product rolling out a new action, so sales are important, I'm not looking down on his post, it was just "timely" LOL

OK LL, how should we gauge interest? I have no doubt what you're saying is correct, everyone wants something until its time to pony up the cash, so how can we get a true idea(short of taking deposits now) of how many can realistically be built and sold?

Like I said before, to have a custom build from here is totally fine with me, Im down. As long as we can all vote on what we are building and stick to it. I dont want to get caught up in a shit storm with the gunsmith.

I think if we all voted, posted our results and tried to get a number on how many were interested. We could get a faint idea of how many rifles we would need. What the minimum, 20?

I think the biggest thing that people want to change is the muzzle device. some wanted threaded with a protector, others want Surefire breaks, others are AAC fans. Hell, the Valkyrie build would have been done quicker if it wasnt for AAC taking their time on the muzzle breaks. But we got them and thats all that matters!

I know for me in KY no one around me sells Surefire cans. Its usually AAC, Gemtech, YHM, or Elite Iron. Sometimes we can score SWR and OPS INC.

Can we all come up with some ideas and let Lowlight start picking them out which he prefers?

The Gladius inspired this one: Had GAP cut down my barrel.

9rm26e.jpg

AAC muzzle break and 762SD
Since this pic I have put a Premier Heritage scope on it.

I have to leave tomorrow morning for some training, only about 8 days worth, then I have some time off, plus I know George is out shooting NORCAL this weekend, (not that we have to use GAP), so when i get back we can talk about an M2009 build based off the Gladius

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Gladius inspired this one: Had GAP cut down my barrel.

9rm26e.jpg

AAC muzzle break and 762SD
Since this pic I have put a Premier Heritage scope on it. </div></div>

Very nice!

After messing around with a couple short barreled .308s, and the fact that 95% of the shooting that I do is less then 1K, I feel that it's the way to go. There are very few drawbacks if any IMO when going with a short .308.

kyshooter338 maybe your not getting the gist of what I was saying, that's okay it’s happened before.

The question was what would it take to get a "Gladius" spec build done. If that was the case then yes it's easy, however but based on the other comments of wanting to change things it wouldn't have been a spec build then would it?

My comments were based on knowing how anal people can be with wanting things changed, backing out, and several other factors that can make the theme build turn into a huge pain.

I didn't post in this thread to drum up business, I have enough to do as is, in fact I'm not even taking new build orders because I'm backed up now, and wouldn't even consider building a theme rifle. I posted because of the back and forth regarding making changes to a "theme" build that no longer makes it a "theme" build, and the trouble it can cause.

As for my "look-a-like" Gladius it was built at the request of a local PD who uses Surefire cans and wanted a short build to test. If I was doing it for me it would have been different.

I could care less if Frank or anyone else wants to do a theme build, Frank is very aware of what it takes to do theme builds or group buys, and the pain it can be. Some other may not know that or even care.

I'm sure I didn't hurt Frank’s feelings with my post, and I know he didn't hurt mine with his. If I hurt your, sorry about that, and yes the Gladius theme post and the 18” rifle I built was kind of a coincidence, LOL. Like I said Frank’s rifle was indeed used as a model, with some changes, thanks Frank.

There’s nothing negative about wanting a theme rifle built and I don't really care one way or another, I enjoy seeing them just like the next guy.

So if guys want to have a theme rifle built and Frank or anyone else is willing to do it then that's great. If I can help in any way I'll be more then happy to, and most know where I’m at.

Seriously guys sign me up.. My divorce is final and this sounds awesome..Lets see what the specs are and I will commit to a deposit.

Randy, what would you do differently and why? Why do some folks prefer one suppressor over another ( I'm quite ignorant and have never owned one)?

I didnt mean to imply you were hating on the project. Just sounded like you were trying to talk us all out of another group build. I happen to like them and I only made changes because George suggested them at the time of the build. When I spec my own rifle I do it and forget about them till I get a call saying, rifle is done we need final payment. Not that big of a deal. Like I have said multiple times, if you commit to the build you get the options that Frank lays out or you can go do your own build.

I think the group builds are great. I would love to see a Gladius type build on a different action then a Remington though. But if thats what we have to go with then so be it.

Lets do this! +1 for Jeep Chimp for bringing this up. I was worried we would never get another SH build again.

Thanks kyshooter, I know........I know........I'm the shit.....
Seriously though, this post has almost 1700 views, kinda neat...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18" tight bore suppressed 308 that gets to 1000 with 175SMK's... What's not to like? </div></div>

+1

I would be in, was thinking of building the same gun sometime in the next year.

I would like to see some specs as well. I'm really not picky though so I'm easy to please. I think it would be a great!

the numbers are growing.....

Id say the interest is most definately there!

so how do we put the group together?

How do we stay in the loop so as not to miss the opportunity?

Is it reasonable to put together a "list". I would love to see this happen sooner than later so that I might be able to field it for a high angle class. With Frank being gone for a week can one or all of us put some of the initial cogs in place?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeep Chimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randy, what would you do differently and why? Why do some folks prefer one suppressor over another ( I'm quite ignorant and have never owned one)?
</div></div>

The suppressor adapter is the big thing. Not many use the Surefire cans with this type of adapter. I would be more inclined to just thread the barrel with a thread protector. I would have in all likelihood gone with a different stock. I like the Manners but would have preferred to see a McMillan A3 or A3-5.

The biggest issues in the builds are to keep the caliber and the major components the same to keep it simple. Changing stocks, barrel makers, suppressor adapters, and stuff like that it can become a big pain if different component availability becomes a problem.

The theme builds are fun it they are kept simple and nearly the same otherwise it just becomes a custom build anyone can order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeep Chimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randy, what would you do differently and why? Why do some folks prefer one suppressor over another ( I'm quite ignorant and have never owned one)?
</div></div>

The suppressor adapter is the big thing. Not many use the Surefire cans with this type of adapter. I would be more inclined to just thread the barrel with a thread protector. I would have in all likelihood gone with a different stock. I like the Manners but would have preferred to see a McMillan A3 or A3-5.

The biggest issues in the builds are to keep the caliber and the major components the same to keep it simple. Changing stocks, barrel makers, suppressor adapters, and stuff like that it can become a big pain if different component availability becomes a problem.

The theme builds are fun it they are kept simple and nearly the same otherwise it just becomes a custom build anyone can order.
</div></div>

Agree on the part about the threaded barrel plus thread protector. Some of the guys that get in on these builds cant even have a can so that kind of is a big turn off when we do a group buy and you have to get the Surefire adapter or AAC.

I prefer Manners over McMillan for two reasons. One, the wait is not 9 months. And two, they are a hell of a lot nicer to deal with then McM.

I nice action like a Surgeon, Lawton, Stiller, Badger and so on would be pretty sick nasty in a AICS folder. 18" heavy barrel with thread protector. Sounds like a start
smile.gif

I say lets wait for Frank to get done with what he has to do and we can let him spec this out..And he can do a list or whatever needs to be done..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so how do we put the group together?

How do we stay in the loop so as not to miss the opportunity?

Is it reasonable to put together a "list". I would love to see this happen sooner than later so that I might be able to field it for a high angle class. With Frank being gone for a week can one or all of us put some of the initial cogs in place? </div></div>

I'm with KY338, think the AICS folder would be nasty!!!!

<---- Watching this

Been thinking about an 18", threaded & capped, Badger action, AICS 2.0.......

No promises and in no hurry.

Good luck

Sounds good. Would like to see one with the Huber trigger, and new mcm a3a stock.

Could be interested as well. Will be keeping and eye on this thread.
If its a 308, with 18-19", threaded with protector, that would be a go for me.

CJG

These things shouldn't be that hard.

Decide on the specs, post them, then ask who is interested. There's no way to know how many people would be in for a group buy without all the specs. It's like asking people to commit to $30K deposit for a custom 69' camero with a 350 in it but that's all the info you get up front.

If the specs won't bring enough interested parties, either change em or don't do the group buy. Headache, whining, bitching, moaning, solved.

Your right, but i think they are just trying to draw input on what most people agree on. But your right, at some point they need to go through these posts and look for a common theme and then spec it out and post it.

CJG

I know this seems like a dead issue, but I'm planning on doing a gladius-like build and I would definitely be down for a GB. But, like I said, this looks like it may be a dead issue.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LiteTac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patches,

We are doing the group buy.

Here is the info:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1395546#Post1395546 </div></div>

Holy crap! I didn't realize this was the one! I had seen this group buy before but didn't put 2 and 2 together. Guess I'm just dense.... I really need my other boat to sell to free up some cash in the toy fund. I'm going to read over the specs again and try to make a decision if I want to, or can get in on this one. Thanks for the heads up!