• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So, I had to facepalm at American Guns tonight.

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Now, I know some folks on here have their opinions on the Discovery Channel's gun shows, which is understandable. I've always thought of Gunsmoke as a bit more professional than Red Jacket given the type of firearms they tend to deal with and from the quality of the work I've seen on the show.

So tonight, they made a .338 Lapua Mag "Sniper rifle" for a SWAT team. Cool. They seem to have the skills (which are far beyond me BTW) to make an MOA or better .338 LM rifle.

What tickled my nuts is the fucking $2000 paint job on the stock. Like, fucking WHY? The thing had three logos on it (shield, SWAT logo, and Gunsmoke logo) plus a motto on the side.

I'll admit, I'm asking for help on making a decision to what camo pattern I want my next McMillan stock in another thread, but fuck if I'd ever try to charge a SWAT team for what amounts to an Orange County Choppers paint job on a rifle that may or may not be used to one day take a life of a perp.

I've been around the Hide long enough to know that we all live in excess, which is great. I'm putting a McMillan stock on a Savage 17 HMR. People put Schmidt's on a 22LR. Shankster still isn't locked up.

But a $2000 paint job on a fuckin STOCK. For a SWAT team SNIPER. That has more logos than a NASCAR jacket for fucks sakes.

Then the kicker was at the end. So the owner hands the rifle to a SWAT marksman and has him shoot at like an 8" Frisbee at 100 yards. LOL. The next shot is at a refrigerator stuffed with explosives at 1000 yards.

Now, I'm no marksman, but I think a fridge at 1000 yards isn't really a testimony to the rifle's capability, since well there's no telling where the round hit.

But still, on a $5000 budget, for a police department, to spend $2k on a stock finish.... like... what the FUCK... ya know?

/end rant.

Re: So, I had to facepalm at American Guns tonight.

There is no shortage of fiscal idiots when their budget is taxpayer based and supplied.

Coulda just jumped down to Walmart for a couple of cans of krylon and used the remainder to purchase ammo and training time.

Not only that, but could you imagine the repercussions of a police marksman getting ousted on the news for capping some drug-fulled psycho who was going to kills innocents with a "sniper rifle" with a custom paint job?

Edit:

Your signature photo is fuckin awesome. Somewhere, some liberal is furiously blogging about it in a negative way
wink.gif

They have writers, directors, and producers on those shows. Just sayin.

Haha perfect!!! My place of employment (lovely city of Baltimore). They are closing fire houses and down sizing patrol units, demotions, increasing retirement age and service length, advertising on the side of emergency vehicles for exta money, (subway McDonald) taking money from our checks biweekly, and furlow days to try and bail out the financially drowning city.

F#@K it we got the money to spend on a 1000 yard gun w/ a pretty paint job to take 50yard shots from across the street. As a matter of fact we'll take three.

Can't convince me those shows are staged. I really doubt any department in todays economy that lays off cops and firemen is gonna approve that much money for a counter/sniper rifle. I just don't see the 338 in Police Work anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't convince me those shows are staged. I really doubt any department in todays economy that lays off cops and firemen is gonna approve that much money for a counter/sniper rifle. I just don't see the 338 in Police Work anyway. </div></div>

The .338 LM request kinda made me do a double take, but whatever, if they have the budget and find a need then that's their call.

But yes, I can't see a .338 LM ever used in a situation unless in a big city. Nobody thought LAPD needed M-16's til two shitstains went of the fucking deep end...

I can see a need for a department to have one "just in case" gun, such as a .338, but one with a $2000 paint job? Come on...

Disclaimer- not discrediting the officers in the episode by any means as I'm sure they weren't the ones calling the shots on TV.

All that crap is 'scripted-reality'. Total BS. Probably real cops and a budget was given to them by producers, not their agency.

That was a rerun and that episode has been discussed at length elsewhere on the forum. No way any dept. pays that much for a single rifle and theres no way I would be caught dead fielding it. And since when is the 338 capable of penetrating an engine block at 1000 yards? Also how about the guy that paid 1700 for them to take his grandpas old 870 wingmaster and convert it to a home defense shotgun that he could have walked into any gun shop and bought for 700 or less with the light and side saddle. That show is a disgrace and should be cancelled.

Or what about trying to get that dude to pay $4000 for an FN 5.7mm pistol??? What a god damn joke. I'm going to start my own reality show, "Saving Idiots Money By Introducing Them To Gunbroker." And I don't even like GB that much, but it's a hell of a lot better than Gunsmoke.

Or what about the statement that the FN 5.7 can hit at over 1500 yards. What exactly are you hitting at 1500 yards with a pistol??? WTF

Caught it flipping through the channels. Only saw the $70,000 worth of POST samples being paid for in cash and a stupid knife.

I know for a fact that UMP could only have been a post sample and costs $825 NIB. What a stupid show.

Most of these shows are totally fake whe nit comes to the projects and money required.

The one that came out was the Preacher that shoots SASS. HE wanted a custom colt 45 peacemaker. $10K I think it was to make one from scratch. HE was on some forum saying he never had the $$ nor took possession of the pistol. Its all made up.

I would guess that rifle shoots worse than 1 MOA. Fatty running the lathe cant do much at all on it and sits the whole time.

Did anyone see the episode of the lightweight 50 cal rifle they built?. Carbon fiber barrel, tries to thread it and the barrel turns in the carbon sleeve. So they buy a Die to finish the thread, and do it by hand. Yikes.. thats junk now lol.;)

it makes you shake your head, and its hard to watch. Yukkers lol

J&P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: virus51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or what about the statement that the FN 5.7 can hit at over 1500 yards. What exactly are you hitting at 1500 yards with a pistol??? WTF </div></div>

Yea, I flipped the channel when they started talkin about that shit.
FN5.7 is a freekin joke.
worst part is there's really (for all intensive purposes) 1 ammo supplier.... FN

What killed me (no pun intended) about the episode is when they were trying to mill a reciever for a lever action winchester out of TI for the "truck gun".... what a waste of time & money. no one will ever see a weight or cost advantage to that crap.
They could have got an off the shelf Winchester, cut it down (which they did anyway for parts) & let-er rip...
OOOOOoooohhhh .... didn't Rossi come out with the Ranch Hand a while back ? looks identical to the piece of crap they made on the show...
I just want to see the daughters tits again..

Basically every "gun" show that is on tv right now is horse shit. I think Rich Wyatt and his big lipped wife should be locked up for theft. Some of what they charge people is CRIMINAL. 3500.00 dollars for that piece of shit FN 5.7? It had nothing done to it but some half assed mount and a pistol scope.

They also wanted to buy a machine gun collection.... 9 guns for 80k plus some bullshit knife. WOW! If Rich could pull his head out of his ass and realize that some of those guns, like the MP5 and MP5-SD go for 15-20k each. I hate the shows.... the only thing halfway entertaining on them is to see Paige Wyatt's boobies bouncing around.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basically every "gun" show that is on tv right now is horse shit. I think Rich Wyatt and his big lipped wife should be locked up for theft. Some of what they charge people is CRIMINAL. 3500.00 dollars for that piece of shit FN 5.7? It had nothing done to it but some half assed mount and a pistol scope.

They also wanted to buy a machine gun collection.... 9 guns for 80k plus some bullshit knife. WOW! If Rich could pull his head out of his ass and realize that some of those guns, like the MP5 and MP5-SD go for 15-20k each. I hate the shows.... the only thing halfway entertaining on them is to see Paige Wyatt's boobies bouncing around.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I bet all of those machine guns were post samples. Maybe 15K worth. Probably more like 6-7K.

Some one here has a buddy at the ATF, it would be interesting to see if they were ever transferred.

I always threaten to go in there, they are only a few blocks from me, but really can't bring myself to doing it.

I need to go in with something high end and see what they offer LOL

Find out where they plan on building their indoor range they were talking about, as there are several in the area, 3 within 30 minutes of them I know of, there maybe a 4th in Cherry Creek.

Its TV. My brother works in the industry so I hear all kinds of shit. Basically, the general idea is "real" but the director and producers "pump" it up to add some drama for viewers. Think about it; viewers want something cool, not one of our dumbasses drenching the rifle in Krylon. Plus, a lot of shit is comp'd by companies for some advertisement time on TV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of these shows are totally fake whe nit comes to the projects and money required.

The one that came out was the Preacher that shoots SASS. HE wanted a custom colt 45 peacemaker. $10K I think it was to make one from scratch. HE was on some forum saying he never had the $$ nor took possession of the pistol. Its all made up.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of these shows are totally fake whe nit comes to the projects and money required.

</div></div>

Read this twice people.

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">It's a scipted show. Not a single firearm they "build" is actually ever sold.</span></span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topgun99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That show is a disgrace and should be cancelled. </div></div>

It needs to go another season, that way Paige will be legal and everyone who watches the show can just be called "creepy old men" instead of "perverts".

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't convince me those shows are staged. I really doubt any department in todays economy that lays off cops and firemen is gonna approve that much money for a counter/sniper rifle. I just don't see the 338 in Police Work anyway.</div></div>

One of our family friends was on that worthless show a while back to get an "extreme Model 70" built up for him. I gues he has know the gunsmoke guy for years. Anyway, after the show aired my Dad talked with him and he said the whole thing is staged. They hyper-inflate the prices on the show so unsuspecting people that don't do their research will come in and think their outrageous prices are normal. Makes my heart hurt a little that our friend was even a part of it all...

Is that the show where some dink had a lever action shotgun with custom mount made up to shoot from the handlebar of his Harley?

I would pay to see Frank walking in there and own the shit out of them.

Frank, you should start a Sniper's Hide TV show on Youtube just to put some normalcy into the TV-guns market.

Yeah being an HK freak the UMP caught my eye too since there aren't any non post-sample UMP's out there. Not sure if the AK was a postie or not, or if those even exist, but the HK weaponry sure made me laugh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always threaten to go in there, they are only a few blocks from me, but really can't bring myself to doing it.

I need to go in with something high end and see what they offer LOL

Find out where they plan on building their indoor range they were talking about, as there are several in the area, 3 within 30 minutes of them I know of, there maybe a 4th in Cherry Creek. </div></div>

Take one of your nice rigs and see what they offer you. I would love to hear that report!
Dave

AG and SOG piss me off, they piss all of us off.. but, you have to admit, they have helped sell guns and introduce people to our sport.

I just smile and nod when asked by people, as a gun writer, what I think about the shows. lol.

I want to go to the shop and tell that dude what a sick slimy fuck he is for pimping his daughter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AG and SOG piss me off, they piss all of us off.. but, you have to admit, they have helped sell guns and introduce people to our sport.

I just smile and nod when asked by people, as a gun writer, what I think about the shows. lol. </div></div>

I feel the same way. This is better than no gun shows, where people are only exposed to anti gun stuff on TV.

Never heard of the show until this thread. Googled it and found pix of the mom and daughter. Am I the only one that thinks the mom is hotter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never heard of the show until this thread. Googled it and found pix of the mom and daughter. Am I the only one that thinks the mom is hotter? </div></div>

yes. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never heard of the show until this thread. Googled it and found pix of the mom and daughter. Am I the only one that thinks the mom is hotter? </div></div>

Seek a doctor. You're crazy.

LL, please go in there...please. I'd love to see you challenge Rich to a friendly shoot off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never heard of the show until this thread. Googled it and found pix of the mom and daughter. Am I the only one that thinks the mom is hotter? </div></div>

Seek a doctor. You're crazy. </div></div>

Maybe it's camera magic, but...
american-guns-renee-400x550.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topgun99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That show is a disgrace and should be cancelled. </div></div>

It needs to go another season, that way Paige will be legal and everyone who watches the show can just be called "creepy old men" instead of "perverts".

smile.gif

</div></div>

Wait wait wait....shes underage?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

Shit sorry Jesus. I'll catch ya on the next go'round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never heard of the show until this thread. Googled it and found pix of the mom and daughter. Am I the only one that thinks the mom is hotter? </div></div>

</div></div>

VERY MUCH PHOTOSHOPPED! If you watch the show, and unfortunately I have to admit I have, she doesn't look half that good. And her arm is at her chin to hide her giraffe neck.

And it is an ABSOLUTE SHAME that they are pimping out an underage girl for ratings. When they are trying to sell the guy on the FN 5.7 and she is at the counter with her boobs pushed up and out, come on. Have some self respect. If you want to sell a handgun, do it on your knowledge of it. Not on how much clevage you can show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: virus51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never heard of the show until this thread. Googled it and found pix of the mom and daughter. Am I the only one that thinks the mom is hotter? </div></div>

</div></div>

VERY MUCH PHOTOSHOPPED! If you watch the show, and unfortunately I have to admit I have, she doesn't look half that good. And her arm is at her chin to hide her giraffe neck.

And it is an ABSOLUTE SHAME that they are pimping out an underage girl for ratings. When they are trying to sell the guy on the FN 5.7 and she is at the counter with her boobs pushed up and out, come on. Have some self respect. If you want to sell a handgun, do it on your knowledge of it. Not on how much clevage you can show. </div></div>

We can see where Paige's rack came from

Was it just me or did that police chief look like he could be the dads twin brother?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topgun99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That show is a disgrace and should be cancelled. </div></div>

smile.gif

</div></div>

i dont think shes underage...theres pictures all over the internet of her at high school graduation and she recently posted publicly to "fans of american guns" about her graduation at CU Boulder. so unless shes some kind of brilliant scholar paige is definitely "of age".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topgun99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That show is a disgrace and should be cancelled. </div></div>

smile.gif

</div></div>

i dont think shes underage...theres pictures all over the internet of her at high school graduation and she recently posted publicly to "fans of american guns" about her graduation at CU Boulder. so unless shes some kind of brilliant scholar paige is definitely "of age".
</div></div> so Ive graduated from pervert to creepy old man eh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProImaging</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you do stop by get a picture of paige's tits. </div></div>

Yes, this. But personally i think Paige's mom is a lot hotter. And thank you in advance.

-Paulus

Just a few notes: The "Daughter" claims to be 17.. however she carries a Kimber 1911 in .45 ACP throughout the show. Umm suspicious? I believe it is all lies for ratings...

Just as the prices that are charged are WAY fluffed up for ratings. No way in hell does that paint job cost $2000.. you think anyone is going to go to that company after seeing that price tag? Doubt it...

How about the "custom" 10mm 1911 they did for that handicapped man that was $3000? Sick. The whole show is sick. I have even stopped watching Red Jacket's "Son's of Guns" because of the stupid stuff they do. For instance they ruined the whole purpose of a Kriss Vector...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to go to the shop and tell that dude what a sick slimy fuck he is for pimping his daughter.</div></div>

hahah You'd be my hero but you know for fact that funny shit wouldn't make it on TV! They'd hafta charge you a $1500 cover charge to make it through the door and open your yap :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to go to the shop and tell that dude what a sick slimy fuck he is for pimping his daughter.</div></div>

hahah You'd be my hero but you know for fact that funny shit wouldn't make it on TV! They'd hafta charge you a $1500 cover charge to make it through the door and open your yap :p </div></div>

Now that's funny as hell, don't care who ya are.
Pretty soon, we're gonna see the daughter posted on the "nekkkidbitchs" section of the forum here.... HHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

^^ lol that wouldn't be too bad! I could stand too see her ;p I got a buddy who swears he will make that girl his wife... I feel bad for the guy but who am I to crush his dreams? ;p

You feel bad now... just wait until she gets engaged to the fat man running the lathe... just watch....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelman303</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to go to the shop and tell that dude what a sick slimy fuck he is for pimping his daughter.</div></div>

hahah You'd be my hero but you know for fact that funny shit wouldn't make it on TV! They'd hafta charge you a $1500 cover charge to make it through the door and open your yap :p </div></div>

Now that's funny as hell, don't care who ya are.
Pretty soon, we're gonna see the daughter posted on the "nekkkidbitchs" section of the forum here.... HHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! </div></div>

uhh...point me to the nekkidbitches section plz.