• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So I just bought a Tikka T3X Tac A1, mistake?

wilsoN_

Registered Lurker
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2019
West Virginia
So been throwing the idea back and fourth of going custom or Tikka route, and every time I handle the a Tikka at the store the action and 2stage trigger have me smiling. I have a TriggerTech in one of my other rifles and I enjoy the Tikka nearly as much without it having been adjusted yet other than its simply to heavy at factory setting.

This is primarily for recreational target shooting and hunting. Oh and before someone says it, no carrying a heavy rifles 12+lbs doesn't bother me even hiking for 6-8 hours at a time. I guess I'm wondering should I have put up some more money and went custom? I also considered a CTR and changing the bottom metal for a different mag configuration but wanted the 2 stage trigger and a folding chassis, I figure if the chassis doesn't end up fitting me well I can sell it and get a MPA and I still have the 2 stage trigger I wanted.

Thoughts?

Reactions: stephen r
I own a sako trg which is a bit more expensive than the Tikka. I thought about going custom but ended up getting a better deal on the specific model I was looking at. I am extremely happy with my purchase. I seriously can’t imagine a rifle being more accurate. I guess my point is, custom doesn’t necessarily mean better. As long as it fits your needs and you like it then it shouldn’t make a difference.

My T3x 6.5 creed shoots every bit as good as any custom I have.

While I’m not a huge Tikka fan I’ve spent one hell of a lot more for not as much gun.

Reactions: wilsoN_
My tikka t3x tac a1 was accurate as hell out of the box. I used it to shot PRS when I first started. I even had it re barreled when the throat was pretty much gone. I think you get a lot for the money. It's a good barrel accurate seemed a little slow but I would not say it is as good as a "premium" barrel. I like the chassis, trigger, action is smooth. Look into the mag fix where you bend the spring as well works like a charm.

If you like the rifle - which is a darn good one - why do you care what anyone else thinks? I sold my TAC A1 only because I got a deal on a custom from a friend that was way too good to pass up. It was a half-MOA rifle with everything I ran through it, with a slight nod to the old Norma-based Prime 130s, and the action on it (and my Tikka .223 Varmint) is slicker than my custom. Resale on Tikkas tends to be fast and decent return.

It's a great rifle. Quit questioning the purchase and enjoy it.

Reactions: Winkmeister
Tikka's are a great choice. If you dont like the chassis, sell it and get a different option. My comp rifle is a 2015 CTR action. Still holds its own with some of the customs. Of course I've rebarreled and done other things, but the action is still good to go.

I had a 1st round hit, not cold bore, at 800 with mine today. And I haven't shot it since September. 1100 was no problem. Had dope issues at 1300 but eventually got on target.

So, no you're not wasting your time. Great rifle. You don't have to spend more unless you want to.

i'll take it off his hands for a cool $100 if he doesn't like it.

i'm pretty sure there is reasoning behind tikka's statement which goes a little like this... tikka, second to none.

so my offer of a cool $100 only stands till the end of the day if you wanted to let go of the rifle :sneaky:

• Haha
So the title implies you already have the Tikka, but your post sounds like you're mind is not made up yet? If you have it already, did you even shoot it yet? Or are you just looking for reassurance in your purchase? Because either option would accomplish your intended function just fine.

I ordered it but started to have second thoughts while I'm waiting for it to come in... Rifle is probably more capable than I, figure it will be good enough if I choose to go to some local matches.

Reactions: flatout
Long time ago when I was just a young buck, my dad pointed out that most new car brochures were given out AFTER the purchase of the vehicle, because buyer psychology was studied and they found that people experienced what they termed "cognitive dissonance" with respect to their purchase.

"Did I make the right choice...?"

No need to second guess yourself. You made a superb choice, now you need to look forward: learn all you can about it and get out there and use it. Without meaning any offense whatsoever, it is likely more capable than you at this point.

I ordered it but started to have second thoughts while I'm waiting for it to come in... Rifle is probably more capable than I, figure it will be good enough if I choose to go to some local matches.

You'll become capable with practice.

And the only thing males should have 2nd thought of is if they have the right woman.

Yes.... Practice.... Practice..... Practice. It's the only way to become more capable and consistent than we are today, it's the human element that is the variable.

Oh I’m not a bad shooter but I’m not a 1/3-1/2 moa guy every day, that rifle is... I haven’t shot as much as I use to and have gotten rusty. I’m not some pro or prior sniper. Just a guy that likes guns, grew up around them as my dad had a gun shop and did gunsmithing when he wasn’t at his day job.

You'll be right. I've only been shooting and reloading for the past couple of years. I have learnt a lot from listening to the everyday sniper and put what I hear to practice.

The first time I shot a rifle my cousin and I hung clay targets at a distance of about 90m which equates to about 100y. My 3rd shot I turned one of the clays into a donut. My cousin turned to me and asked if I'd ever shot a rifle before. I replied with, "does an air rifle and paintball gun count?" No I'm not blowing my whistle, but from then practice and quality ammo has made a difference.

When zeroing my scope on my Lithgow 6.5 I shot a half minute group. That rifle has only had 20 rounds through it. I've been too lazy and busy to do more shooting with it. Plus it's a bit of overkill taking foxes with a 6.5 when my 223 does the same thing, only cheaper.

Go back to the beginning of the everyday sniper podcast and listen listen listen. Priceless information given. That's why I'm planning to fly halfway around the globe to do a course with Frank, he has a wealth of knowledge along with many who are on this forum.

I'm with ya.....always something to learn and make us better. I get more from reading, watching, asking and listening.

Buying a new gun, that you can afford, is never a mistake. Even if it does not end up working out and you sell it, you learn something. Your next buy will be much better.

Have no worries about your new rifle.
i shot a box stock TacA1 @ PRE last year and was scoring hits on IPSC steel at 500+ yards after the third shot spotting my own impacts.
The rifle will surprise you as to how good it is.

My ctr shoots way better then I can ...
But I usually shoot 4 into 1 hole with 1 flyer lol .....

Point being is I'm getting ready to build a tikka, and possibly a custom stick from the ground up on a origin or tl3 action..

And I plan on using my plain main STOCK ctr.
Which I haven't even touched the factory trigger...as a bar which the others are measure....

As you may tell it's my favorite bolt gun atm.

Reactions: tree man
Oh I’m not a bad shooter but I’m not a 1/3-1/2 moa guy every day, that rifle is... I haven’t shot as much as I use to and have gotten rusty. I’m not some pro or prior sniper. Just a guy that likes guns, grew up around them as my dad had a gun shop and did gunsmithing when he wasn’t at his day job.

The vast majority of people are not, myself included..

Shoot the Tikka for a year and if you still really want a custom, sell the Tikka and now you know more specifically what you want.

Absolutely love mine! Shoot local PRS matches here and there, and usually perform better than most custom guns. Also I’m usually first in production gun class as well. The rifle is smooth, and smooth is fast. I can routinely shoot sub 1/2 moa out to 700yds with hand loads. The barrels are a little slow, but the accuracy is always there. It’s become such a fun rifle to shoot and I’ve grown a lot of confidence in it. As of now I don’t see a reason for me to leave to a custom setup.

I got a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM in January, put it in a KRG Bravo stock and topped it with a Vortex Viper Gen II 5-25 x 50 FFP Mil scope. I am very impressed with the accuracy, the smooth action and the overall fit and finish. The group below was with Hornady American Gunner 140 gr. Can’t see a reason for me to go the “custom” route. Much more left over to buy ammo!

Attachments

• 89FE99C6-B24F-4404-9EDA-EEE339489085.jpeg
    89FE99C6-B24F-4404-9EDA-EEE339489085.jpeg
    795.8 KB · Views: 688
  • BD7F3F1E-759E-476A-9495-2D12B200F3A6.jpeg
    BD7F3F1E-759E-476A-9495-2D12B200F3A6.jpeg
    624.8 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:
Great action and gun for the $. As mentioned, american gunner is great and watch for deals on the 147 match for longer distances.

I own a sako trg which is a bit more expensive than the Tikka. I thought about going custom but ended up getting a better deal on the specific model I was looking at. I am extremely happy with my purchase. I seriously can’t imagine a rifle being more accurate. I guess my point is, custom doesn’t necessarily mean better. As long as it fits your needs and you like it then it shouldn’t make a difference.

And I own a Sako TRG in 6.5 cm. I have out shoot several shooters with custom rigs costing twice as much, or more

Take a gander through Tikka T3 section under bolt action rifles here on Snipers Hide or there's even a Tikka Tac A1 facebook group. Aside from guys flocking to post pictures of their miracle groups you'll find that for a factory rifle under $2k it's consistently exceptional.

It will be on the heavy side for a hunting rifle, but you can always go the standard T3 route instead of the Tac A1 and drop it in a Manners mini-chassis or KRG Bravo etc. They're the exact same actions and barrels. My Tac A1 with optic is 18 lbs, so doing a short walk to a tree stand it will work but for any long distance movement I'd go with the T3 and drop it in the stock of your choice.

I just bought my 1st centerfire Tikka rifle. A TAC A1 in 6.5. I pretty much only shoot 22 for fun, no competition shooting, but have been thinking about a rifle for long range now that I am retired in New Mexico. A guy let me shoot his Bergara HMR 6.5 at the range and I liked how easy it was to shoot 1 MOA groups even with some wind. I also liked how the recoil wasn't too bad. I liked my T1X so much I decided on the TAC 1A. I mounted an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24 on it with Burris XTR rings set to 20 MOA. I had a cleaning rod from when I had a .223 years ago but no brush to fit it yet. I couldn't wait for that to arrive so I took a pull through, some patches and some Hoppes #9 planning on doing that tedious shoot one clean and repeat break in procedure. I went to the range and took my first shot (at 50 yards) pulled a wet patch and then damn near got a dry patch stuck in the barrel so I said F%CK it and just shot it. That first 3 shot groups at 50 was .586" and to the right and high (at 50). Made some adjustments and shot a 3 shot group of .185" and high, made an adjustment and shot the next single shot center of bull. I put an IR 50/50 target at 100 yards. First group at 100 was .483" and high. Made a quick adjustment and shot a .331" a little low. Made a final adjustment and the next 3 went into the center of bull and measured .217". I stopped at this point so I could take it home and give it a good cleaning. I couldn't be happier and glad I spent the money to get the TAC A1. I bought it from Georgia Guns for $1,560 and feel that was a bargain. By the way all shooting was done with Hornady American Gunner

So been throwing the idea back and fourth of going custom or Tikka route, and every time I handle the a Tikka at the store the action and 2stage trigger have me smiling. I have a TriggerTech in one of my other rifles and I enjoy the Tikka nearly as much without it having been adjusted yet other than its simply to heavy at factory setting.

This is primarily for recreational target shooting and hunting. Oh and before someone says it, no carrying a heavy rifles 12+lbs doesn't bother me even hiking for 6-8 hours at a time. I guess I'm wondering should I have put up some more money and went custom? I also considered a CTR and changing the bottom metal for a different mag configuration but wanted the 2 stage trigger and a folding chassis, I figure if the chassis doesn't end up fitting me well I can sell it and get a MPA and I still have the 2 stage trigger I wanted.

Thoughts?

Should be a nice setup. Tikka is never a bad idea.

She's a shooter boys, put about 60rds through it today... It loves factory Hornady Match 140gr ELD as I've read everyone elses do. After I got comfortable with it got a few 1/2" 5shot groups, 3 shot groups look like a ragged hole.

Also adjusted the factory trigger as light as it would go and it was "ok" not as good as my Triggertech in my AR, put the Eley precision spring in with the screw about 2/3 of the way out and its excellent.

She's a shooter boys, put about 60rds through it today... It loves factory Hornady Match 140gr ELD as I've read everyone elses do. After I got comfortable with it got a few 1/2" 5shot groups, 3 shot groups look like a ragged hole.

Also adjusted the factory trigger as light as it would go and it was "ok" not as good as my Triggertech in my AR, put the Eley precision spring in with the screw about 2/3 of the way out and its excellent.

That's good to hear. One more testimony for a Tikka. I'm seeing a pattern. Same with the Hornady Match ELD...

Reactions: secm
Great to hear! I use the 147 eld-m and have the same results.

Not to sound redundant but same results with same ammo. Great to hear, sounds like your happy with your purchase, as all of us are.

If you want even lighter out the yo Dave or mountain tactical trigger spring in and she gets to about a pound.

The Eley and yo dave are the same... it's doesn't need to be any lighter its likely 1.25-1.5lbs where its set now... and has adjustment left.

Does anyone have factory ammo suggestions for a Tikka T3X TAC A1 in .260 remington? I have one on the way thanks to member Barry Thomas and want to be ready to send rounds downrange.

Does anyone have factory ammo suggestions for a Tikka T3X TAC A1 in .260 remington? I have one on the way thanks to member Barry Thomas and want to be ready to send rounds downrange.

I shoot exclusively Hornady ELD-Match out of my T3x .260. I got sub half moa consistently over 600 rounds. Prime as others have mentioned is good, but I never shot it out of the T3x specifically. I have shot it out of other guns though. I prefer the ballistic tip on the Hornady.

I shoot exclusively Hornady ELD-Match out of my T3x .260. I got sub half moa consistently over 600 rounds. Prime as others have mentioned is good, but I never shot it out of the T3x specifically. I have shot it out of other guns though. I prefer the ballistic tip on the Hornady.
Thank you for the info. I will give them a try.

Thoughts?
I know 4 guys that have bought the Tikka TAC A3, 2 in 308 and 2 in 6.5 CR.
Big smiles from all of them.
I am heavily biased, I love Tikka, Sako, and AI.
Tikka guarantee their rifles, if you aren't happy, they will replace or refund.
For a straight out of the box rifle, pretty f**ken good.
I almost bought the TAC, but am stoked with my Super Varmint.
As others have said, you could pay a lot more, and not have as good a rifle as a Tikka.
Enjoy!

Reactions: wade2big
Berger 130 otm ammo. Or the 140 hybrids. You get Lapua brass to sell or reload as well.

Can't comment on the .260, but my 6.5 loves Hornady ELD 140 and American Gunner 140 BTHP. The ELD shoot .3-.4" groups and the American Gunner averages .4-.6"

Last edited: