• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So I just bought my first “real” LRR

kjmdrumz3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2020
    Oklahoma City
    New guy here. Lurking on and off for years. Just picked up a gently used (100 rounds) Tikka T3X TAC A1 in 6.5 with an extra mag, hard case, Vortex Diamondback 6-26x50, Vortex 20 moa base, and a Magpul bipod. I think I did pretty good at $1700. Although, the scope and bipod are going to be finding a new home in the very near future. I’m going to replace the bipod with an Atlas for sure. I really want a mil/mil scope because it’s what I’m used to. I have a SWFA SS 10x42 on my .243 that I really really like especially for the price. I need some ideas and opinions on glass in the $1000-$1500 range.
    Anyway, just wanted to say hello and do a little humble bragging on what I feel was a great deal! See ya around!

Welcome!

For the scope, call Doug @gr8fuldoug at CameraLandNY and get an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 in the MRAD reticle of your choice (I recommend APRS1), and be sure to mention the Hide. For rings I recommend ARC M10s (34mm diameter for the Cronus) in the height of your choice.

Hello and welcome to the site. First of all, congrats on scoring a good deal. Now, for optics suggestions, I'd look into the following...

Tract Toric
    second gen Sig Tango6
    Trijicon
    Athlon Cronus BTR
    Vortex Razor II

Reactions: Jknox1030
    welcome from delaware , and congratulations , but no pics that's 1/2 the fun sharing and letting others gawk at your new gun .

Congrats on the new rifle, for right at $1k you can get a used nightforce shv F1 or a used sig tango 6 gen II. Both scopes are awesome, reliable and durable.

Yeah so no pics, That is a Problem. Keep an eye out on the PX and you can score a really good deal on a scope and other things that you are needing. Welcome

You picked a great one ... I have that same rifle. I top it with a Leupold Mark 5HD 5x25, with a SilencerCo Chimera-300 on the muzzle. The combination is awesome. BTW ... you might want to look at the bag rider that's made for that rifle.

If you can find a used MK5 5-25 on the PX, that’s what I’d recommend. Occasionally you’ll find someone blowing them out at an insanely low price. If not, Doug at camera land can get you squared away with a new scope in that price range

Here we go, gentlemen. I knew I would get crap for not providing a picture, but after the 5 hour round trip last night picking up the rifle I was ready for bed.
    And yes, db2000, 6.5 Creedmoor.

Tikka T3X Tac A1.jpg

VDV, not saying that money is totally irrelevant, but buying a scope AND lots of ammo isn't really a problem. However, I'm very much a bang-for-buck kind of guy. And for my purposes, the right $1500 optic will achieve all I need for the foreseeable future. Right now, a $3000+ optic just isn't necessary.

Seriously looking at the Cronus BTR
    Welcome!

For the scope, call Doug @gr8fuldoug at CameraLandNY and get an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 in the MRAD reticle of your choice (I recommend APRS1), and be sure to mention the Hide. For rings I recommend ARC M10s (34mm diameter for the Cronus) in the height of your choice.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at the Ares for the last year or so, but a "display" model Cronus BTR is only $100 more. Worth it? Anything else around that magical $1300 range that you guys would recommend? I've been looking in the PX but nothing has really caught my eye. Also, I already have a Vortex 20 MOA mount on the rifle. However, it's 30mm as opposed to 34mm. I'm wondering if I should just sacrifice a bit and buy a 30mm tube as to avoid having to buy new rings or base. Will I notice THAT much of a difference? Sorry, it's all just rattling around in my head. I'd keep the Vortex that's on it, but I really don't want an MOA scope.

Seriously looking at the Cronus BTR

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at the Ares for the last year or so, but a "display" model Cronus BTR is only $100 more. Worth it? Anything else around that magical $1300 range that you guys would recommend? I've been looking in the PX but nothing has really caught my eye. Also, I already have a Vortex 20 MOA mount on the rifle. However, it's 30mm as opposed to 34mm. I'm wondering if I should just sacrifice a bit and buy a 30mm tube as to avoid having to buy new rings or base. Will I notice THAT much of a difference? Sorry, it's all just rattling around in my head. I'd keep the Vortex that's on it, but I really don't want an MOA scope.

The Cronus is from Japan, not China, and has slightly better glass. I decided to go with the Cronus and I’ve been quite happy with it.

If you can step a bit above $1500, the Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 becomes an option.

Honestly, I wouldn’t even worry about scope rings and mounts and such. I don’t think there are very many compelling 30mm longrange options in that price range; almost everyone has bumped up to 34mm (or larger, as the scopes get nicer). For cost reasons, you may want to look at the Burris Signature XTR rings, which let you get elevation from the rings themselves.

Reactions: kjmdrumz3
    You should also look at the deals on Bushnell DMR-II's or look at Brownells new MPO optics. Those are at or below the $1000 mark.

That cronus is nice glass. I think it was 1400ish. I haven’t ever looked through a razor but the cronus is nice. Doug at camera land is gtg.

Ive looked through the pst gen 2 and the razor gen 2s and they ar both some nice glass for the money. I still have a razor gen 1 thats been working for me. Good luck on the gun and get shooting

I’ll never understand w
    Here we go, gentlemen. I knew I would get crap for not providing a picture, but after the 5 hour round trip last night picking up the rifle I was ready for bed.
    And yes, db2000, 6.5 Creedmoor.

View attachment 7391648
    I’ll never understand why a guy would put his optic under his rifle when the case is being carried or set down.

Reactions: edct and kjmdrumz3
    I’ll never understand w

I’ll never understand why a guy would put his optic under his rifle when the case is being carried or set down.
    I never thought about that before but it makes a lot of sense now that you pointed it out. I guess guys do that because it looks "prettier" when opening the case. I think I can pull the foam out and turning it 180. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: Jknox1030
    I have the Ares ETR and couldn't be happier, but if you can get the Cronus BTR opn box from Doug for 100 bucks more, that's what I would do.

I’ll never understand w

Because it doesn't really matter. If your scope/rings can't handle being upside down in a foam case you have bigger issues at hand.

Because it doesn't really matter. If your scope/rings can't handle being upside down in a foam case you have bigger issues at hand.
    That’s true but I kind of get where he’s coming from. It’s like carrying with an empty chamber...chances are that you won’t have any problems if you need your pistol one day, but why introduce a possible point of failure?

I assume you mean the xtr signature with the inserts? They are fine as are so many other options, pick what you like.
    Yes, sorry. That's what I meant. I don't know why I had ATX stuck in my head. I believe 1.5" should give me enough room, even with a shade. Thanks!

Great purchase. I hope it lives up to your expectations.

At this point, you can be reassured that the gun will be doing its part.

I don't believe in the buy once, cry once mantra; I save the top tier optics purchases for when I can be confident that my skills warrant the expenditure.

Until then, I suspect I can find just about all I will need wearing a Vortex name tag.

Greg

Last edited:
    IMG-6743.jpg

Got everything in, on, leveled, loctite'd, etc. I hope the scope is level, because if not that will just have to be something that I relegate to a professional. Used two different levels making sure the gun was level at the same time as the scope, and shined a flashlight through the scope to make sure crosshairs were level. The Cronus 4.5-29x56 and Aandland caps leave about 2-3mm with 20 moa in the rings. Hope I never need 25 lol. Got 400 rounds of AG coming tomorrow. Hoping to get to the range on Monday with the Magnetospeed to start building some DOPE sheets. Thanks for all the replies and information, fellas!

Reactions: VDVSNIPER