• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So, I threw my Arken off the shooting platform...

Just context. I'm surprised no one has questioned the impacts at 900M since everything else has been questioned. Put that photo in so you could see the range and that I'm not on a 100m firing line.
I do 900 with my rimfire after chucking my atlas bipod down my driveway to make sure it’s up to the task

So really the distance is meh 🫠

85dn8z.gif

Why's that? It took two massive impacts and kept its zero.

Do you have a better way to check to see if an optic will hold zero or take a big hit and not break?
Yes. Mount it to an SR-25/AR-10 large frame, SCAR, or M107 and shoot a few thousand rounds through them.

Kissing the ground is nothing compared to the initial shock resonance from:
1) the firing of the cartridge,
2) the bolt striking the breech, or
3) the carrier slamming into battery

You can see the effects on an accelerometer. Dropping a scope doesn’t register even close to the carrier impacting the barrel extension on the return battery stroke.

Bolts guns are so much easier on optics. A quality optic meant to take a beating can be used like a baseball bat in a fit of rage on hard objects and not have the internals fail. The most fragile components to external impacts are the knobs, illumination housings, and objective bells.

I’ve broken or have seen in-person many scopes break over the years, almost all of which were cheap pieces of trash or ones made in places that don’t care about QC. One exception was a Schmidt & Bender PM II that I was using for accuracy-testing for a manufacturer. That scope had been installed and removed on countless rifles, about 1/3 of which were .338 LM, the others a mix of mostly .300 Win Mag and .308 Win. Not sure how many thousands of rounds were fired with it attached until the side focus went kaput. It took a lot of unusual abuse though.

Reactions: FWoo45
I do 900 with my rimfire after chucking my atlas bipod down my driveway to make sure it’s up to the task

So really the distance is meh 🫠
Seeing as POI/POA shifts would get larger and larger as the distance is lengthened a 1" shift at 100yd would be a 9.8" shift at 980yd and shooting at a 12" wide plate with a 9.8" shift in zero it would be more difficult to "mask" the shift as if it didn't happen or would most likely cause me to miss the target of it actually shifted.

That's all. Not bragging about the distance at all. Just an observation.

Reactions: Ronws
Yes. Mount it to an SR-25/AR-10 large frame, SCAR, or M107 and shoot a few thousand rounds through them.

Kissing the ground is nothing compared to the initial shock resonance from:
1) the firing of the cartridge,
2) the bolt striking the breech, or
3) the carrier slamming into battery

You can see the effects on an accelerometer. Dropping a scope doesn’t register even close to the carrier impacting the barrel extension on the return battery stroke.

Bolts guns are so much easier on optics. A quality optic meant to take a beating can be used like a baseball bat in a fit of rage on hard objects and not have the internals fail. The most fragile components to external impacts are the knobs, illumination housings, and objective bells.

I’ve broken or have seen in-person many scopes break over the years, almost all of which were cheap pieces of trash or ones made in places that don’t care about QC. One exception was a Schmidt & Bender PM II that I was using for accuracy-testing for a manufacturer. That scope had been installed and removed on countless rifles, about 1/3 of which were .338 LM, the others a mix of mostly .300 Win Mag and .308 Win. Not sure how many thousands of rounds were fired with it attached until the side focus went kaput. It took a lot of unusual abuse though.
If I had the money, free time, and ability to put thousands of rounds through any of those rifles with a multitude of scopes. I 100% would and agree it is a far better test.

But I'm just a poor who decided to throw a budget optic I decided to buy, a distance, height, and speed I thought was sufficient to see if the zero would shift. This was done as part of a "test" that a buddy and I discussed in a group chat about if an Arken can take a "Serious", very subjective apparently, impact. He said beat it on a post a few times. I said why don't I just throw the thing up in the air off the shooting platform and see if it shifts at all.

Reactions: BCP
I would not be surprised if every other optic made could not pass this same drop test.

Does that calculate the speed at which the scope was traveling since I didn't just let gravity take it down and actually threw it? 2lbs dropped at 10ft only equates to 20ftlbs when it's dropped not thrown. Since we do not know the speed or let's call it velocity at which the scope was traveling it would be pretty tough to know the exact calculation of energy which was delivered to the optic.

Man y'all are wild.

If I dropped it straight down 50ft y'all would say it needs to be 100ft. If I threw it at 20mph y'all would say it needs to be 40mph. If it hit dirt y'all would say it needs to land on concrete.

Just take the video for what it is. No one is throwing their optic 25ft out and 10ft down

Let's say you drop your rifle out of the stand at 20ft onto grass. It lands butt pad down. The optic does not take the brunt of the force. The rifle does and the energy is transferred to the optic via the rings or mount. Which then would most likely slide or shift the optic in the rings not testing the strength of the tube or internals really at all.

Or better yet the 16lb rifle lands perfectly flat on all 4ft. That energy is dispersed evenly across all 4ft of the mass not all consolidated into just the optic.

The test isn't scientific so why try and make it like that. I just threw the damn thing to see if it would shift. That's it.

The optic landed directly on the ground hit random shit on the ground and tumbled down the hill.

This isn't myth busters or OG TacTV. I just thought it would be good to see if the optic could take an impact.
how many MOA was that can we see the ballistics curve?

Made a video. I'm no content creator but wanted to document it.

900m impact. Throw scope off shooting platform about 25ft down the hard packed dirt hill. Install optic again. Impact 900m. Plate is 1/2 IPSC

This was the second time I did this test. First time was on paper. There was no shift. Not even .1mrad.

Nothing broken or dented. Just some sand in the parallax knob and a few scrapes.

I'd say EP5 is GTG.

And so is the OBR mount.

Just as a disclaimer since Arken is very triggering apparently.

I did this just for the hell of it I'm no Arken fan boy nor ambassador. Just wanted to see what this thing was all about because of all the controversy it seems to be creating. It's not an ATACR or TT, obviously!

Just showing that it didn't bust into 1000 pieces or lose its zero from a substantial impact.

Edited title since people can't understand that 25ft can also mean out not down.

Some people might think it’s dumb but appreciate it since I am waiting for my first arken scope to arrive. And I keep reading they are built like tanks

I have heard a lot more "broken out of the box" than "built like tanks." Who says arkan scopes are built like a tank?
I have read a lot of reviews and seen plenty of videos. It’s isn’t always a good thing cause they are quite heavy but after researching scopes in my price range for a couple weeks. Arken seemed like the best option. Would not put it on an all purpose or home defense fun. But I needed something I could afford to get started past 200 yards. Maybe i sucked in and it will be junk. But I think it will be fine for my purposes.

I have read a lot of reviews and seen plenty of videos. It’s isn’t always a good thing cause they are quite heavy but after researching scopes in my price range for a couple weeks. Arken seemed like the best option. Would not put it on an all purpose or home defense fun. But I needed something I could afford to get started past 200 yards. Maybe i sucked in and it will be junk. But I think it will be fine for my purposes.
They are good scopes and will definitely get you to 1000+ easily.

What the Arkens really need is bigger turrets....
You know now that I think about it you are
Right. If they were about twice the size they are now and covered in Crazy Glue and traction sand so we could get a good grip without slipping.That would be something else. And then we would be able to read the windage and elevation from the other side of the room if we wanted too. Oooov shit that was a joke that was meant to funny. But it weird I feel like I already read that joke on the forum somewhere. Nah I didn’t no one would use that joke twice or steal it from someone else. I must be going crazy

Reactions: MadDuner
It's not a true thing though. Built like a tank means they are reliable. Arkan has not built a reputation of making reliable scopes at all. It's like when they first came out and every shill on the web was running around posting "with all the buzz around arkan." And noone had even heard of them. It's a moniker attributed to them by either their marketing department or some ignorant boob.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I've been on this site for a while.
I remember when the orignal PST was announced, not shipping, mind you, only announced, there were quite a few on here extolling their virtues, some of them INSISTING that they were 2500 dollar scopes for 800 bucks (this was back when 2500 bought you an S&B or a US Optics while they were under the original ownership) and that was never even having one in hand.
Back in those days, if you had very few choices in FFP scopes. Entry level was the Falcon Optics for about 400, then it jumped to US Optics with no middle ground, there was also premier and of course S&B.
That being said, when half the folks bashing the Arken scopes can't spell it correctly, it doesn't say much about their credibility in this regard.
The Arken's are, apparently, very good scopes for the niche that they fill. If it doesn't track, they'll replace it. The glass is sufficient to meet the needs of most folks, but it will definitely be a limiting factor for SOME things.
I've played the scope roulette, it's tough when your budget is limited, but you have a much broader selection now, then you did 15 years ago.
That being said, if you don't need illumination, I'd look to the Athlon Midas Tac, they are a bit more expensive, they are also made in China, but they have much better glass.

I
It's not a true thing though. Built like a tank means they are reliable. Arkan has not built a reputation of making reliable scopes at all. It's like when they first came out and every shill on the web was running around posting "with all the buzz around arkan." And noone had even heard of them. It's a moniker attributed to them by either their marketing department or some ignorant boob.
Always thought built like a tank was a term people use when they have nothing more insightful to say?

I've been on this site for a while.
I remember when the orignal PST was announced, not shipping, mind you, only announced, there were quite a few on here extolling their virtues, some of them INSISTING that they were 2500 dollar scopes for 800 bucks (this was back when 2500 bought you an S&B or a US Optics while they were under the original ownership) and that was never even having one in hand.
Back in those days, if you had very few choices in FFP scopes. Entry level was the Falcon Optics for about 400, then it jumped to US Optics with no middle ground, there was also premier and of course S&B.
That being said, when half the folks bashing the Arken scopes can't spell it correctly, it doesn't say much about their credibility in this regard.
The Arken's are, apparently, very good scopes for the niche that they fill. If it doesn't track, they'll replace it. The glass is sufficient to meet the needs of most folks, but it will definitely be a limiting factor for SOME things.
I've played the scope roulette, it's tough when your budget is limited, but you have a much broader selection now, then you did 15 years ago.
That being said, if you don't need illumination, I'd look to the Athlon Midas Tac, they are a bit more expensive, they are also made in China, but they have much better glass.

Yep I remember that, it was crazy people comparing PST1’s that hadn’t shipped to alpha tier scopes and look what pieces of shit those things turned out to be.

There’s always a hot new flavor of the month when it comes to cheap shitty optics and the same types will always buy the hype and parrot it.

I

Always thought built like a tank was a term people use when they have nothing more insightful to say?
Ya pretty much what I was getting at. It's mostly an advertising buzz phrase. There are scopes out there that do have a reputation for being reliable and tracking well that the moniker fits though. Like the XTRII for example. They dont cost much more than some Arkan Chineseism either.

"Apparently they are good scopes."

Spoken like some one has never touched an Arkan.
One, look up the word apparently.
Two, as I clearly stated "for the niche that they fill" which is sub 500 dollar FFP scopes.
They are better than MANY other sub 500 dollar scopes. Never said they were better than more expensive scopes (some of which, yes, they are better)

Really is a lot of Arken hate on here. It’s my first one I have purchased and maybe it will suck. But hopefully not. A lot of people buy them and buy more than one of them. So apparently somebody thinks they are decent. It looked like a good product that was in my price range so I bought one. I am not asking any of you tactical professsinals out there to use one. By all means keep buying whatever you like. If you can afford to own multiple 1000 scopes then congratulations. Maybe one day I will be in the same boat. But for now I will try out the bottom of the barrel and continue begging for bullets on the street corner with the rest of the poor. Maybe one day welfare or food stamps will be used to buy bullets. They I will look to all of the experts here for some insight again. Thanks for you help.

One, look up the word apparently.
Two, as I clearly stated "for the niche that they fill" which is sub 500 dollar FFP scopes.
They are better than MANY other sub 500 dollar scopes. Never said they were better than more expensive scopes (some of which, yes, they are better)
Arkan arkan arkan. 👍👍

I didn't say you said anythything. I said your phrasing indicates you have never handled one, and your rebutal seems to support that assertion.

Haters gonna hate. I’m by no means a “fanboy” and still laugh thinking back on the threads early on of some comparisons to alpha glass or even $2k scopes. That being said I own 6 or more EP5’s and have had to send one back. It was a painless experience and they paid for everything having it replaced within 2 weeks of me dropping it in the mail. I think people say “built like a tank” because of the size and weight, which is an incorrect use of that overly used term IMO.
They do seem and feel robust to me compared with a lot of my other scopes. The glass is very good especially in the 10-20x to my eyes, even for scopes retailing under $1000. Mine all track and I’m happy with them on pet rifle projects…for which I have many 🤣

Reactions: Frankengrendel
Yep I remember that, it was crazy people comparing PST1’s that hadn’t shipped to alpha tier scopes and look what pieces of shit those things turned out to be.

There’s always a hot new flavor of the month when it comes to cheap shitty optics and the same types will always buy the hype and parrot it.
I had several of the vortex viper pst and HS models when they came out. An upgrade from my Sightron SIII.

They were so unreliable not only do I completely avoid vortex to this day but won’t recommend them to anyone. I used the customer service (best in the business by the way) more in 6 months of owning those scopes than I have for any optics in the 15 years since owning a vortex.

I still own that Sightron and it’s still working after all these years

^^^anecdotal Vortex experience. Valid to this customer but doesn’t translate to all of Vortex.

Look at Burris. One guy has a really fucked up experience. Really fucked up.
It creates a thread with hundreds of posts, mainly with just a few bad anecdotal experiences and the rest classic Hide arguments and mud slinging 🤣
Ultimately and factually, there’s a shit ton of happy Burris customers out there.
It’s the way of the internet unfortunately.

Look at Burris. One guy has a really fucked up experience. Really fucked up.
It creates a thread with hundreds of posts, mainly with just a few bad anecdotal experiences and the rest classic Hide arguments and mud slinging 🤣
Ultimately and factually, there’s a shit ton of happy Burris customers out there.
It’s the way of the internet unfortunately.
Arkan does not have any sort of track record to be compared with Burris.

Reactions: Schütze
Arkan does not have any sort of track record to be compared with Burris.
Agree to some extent but they’ve had enough real field use by now they have proven their value at $350-$400 in the PX price

You can usually get a pst2 or xtr2 around 550.
Great.
Some folks don’t want to pay 65% more per scope when they are buying for 5-10 rifles. I literally just had this conversation with a guy at my local range. I don’t know his income bracket but that was his reasoning. I bought mine before realizing that frankly but I’m not going to sell them all to trade them out 🤣

I've not had any issues with the Arken scopes so far.
But then again, I'm not an "operator", nor have I thrown my rifles down to see if they hold zero.
But so far they have held zero on my AR10's - which some other scope manufacturers products have not.

I've not had any issues with the Arken scopes so far.
But then again, I'm not an "operator", nor have I thrown my rifles down to see if they hold zero.
But so far they have held zero on my AR10's - which some other scope manufacturers products have not.
This is my exact point. There’s tons of these positive anecdotal experiences on this site.
But random internet strangers asking
“Where? By who?” Is like arguing with my wife. I don’t have time to comb through hundreds of posts to satisfy randos over a Chinese scope 🤣👍
Do your own fucking homework.

Reactions: MadDuner
My 5-25 ep5 is better than my old leupold mark ar 3-9x40 sfp mildot reticle moa elevation iphy windage on my 22lr. Gave that pos to my FIL for use on a 22lr that he isn't going to dial on. It was better than the tasco with a broken reticle that he had.

I have seen two torture tests that were done well, I think. Eric at IV8888 set up a dummy rifle and mounted different scopes to it. Including an Arken. It leaked when he threw it in the water after dropping it out of the golf cart driving on concrete.

Jim at Backfire dropped in the swimming pool right off the bat and the Arken was the only one to leak.

That may have been fixed by now.
To have a low price, there are some corners to be cut. Such as the metal for the turrets and the metal for the set screws. That type of turret design has the inherent problem of set screws backing out and while the actual mechanical piece has not moved, the turret cover is spinning. Some of the higher end scopes may not do that but have thicker metal and finer threads.

Last edited:
Great.
Some folks don’t want to pay 65% more per scope when they are buying for 5-10 rifles. I literally just had this conversation with a guy at my local range. I don’t know his income bracket but that was his reasoning. I bought mine before realizing that frankly but I’m not going to sell them all to trade them out 🤣
Brilliant. I need to buy 20 trash scopes because I blew my wad on 20 rifles. Sounds like a problem chasing another problem around a bush to me. It's pretty much exactly why I say they are not really well tested. They are going more to collectors than shooters.

I can get 35 dollar bushnell from Walmart that will hold zero.

So, you are pushing them at the local range to. Where is the surprise emoji? 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Fed EX, UPS & USPS do their damndest to fukk 'em up before they arrive in my grubby hands.
I have wondered about that with internal debris. I have received a couple scopes with stuff on the lense after shipping. The last one I didn't want to send in and loose because it was a 3-12lrtsi. I used it and after a short time the deris fell off the lense. For while I though the ebay seller was an asshole. Then I started to wonder if it really didn't have it when he sold it. I bought some steiner predator binoculars years ago cheap because they had a black spec on the edge of a lense. After a few years it fell back off also.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I have wondered about that with internal debris. I have received a couple scopes with stuff on the lense after shipping. The last one I didn't want to send in and loose because it was a 3-12lrtsi. I used it and after a short time the deris fell off the lense. For while I though the ebay seller was an asshole. Then I started to wonder if it really didn't have it when he sold it. I bought some steiner predator binoculars years ago cheap because they had a black spec on the edge of a lense. After a few years it fell back off also.

I'm waiting on another scope to arrive right now.

Stomach is a writhing mess awaiting the package.

It's as bad as having a custom / semi-custom 1911 being shipped....and you lose sleep at night with visions of dudes in the shop (FFL) passing it around for everyone to fingerbang before you can get there....knowing that one of the jive ass muthafukkas is going to drop the slide on empty.:oops:

• Haha
Reactions: FWoo45
Where? By who?
All the people who use them and don't post on the internet maybe???

The EP5 is a hell of an optic for $500 and under.

I have a question for you... do you own an Arken? If you do, has it failed? Have you ever witnessed an Arken fail in person? Like really fail, not just oh I missed my target, my optic must suck.

The 6.0PSD has been regarded as the WORST diesel engine in history. Yet mine went 300k miles before I ever had a 6.0 related item fail.

NF's fail
S&B's fail
ZCO's fail
TT's fail

Everything that is manufactured runs the risk of failing.

The fact that this company has more successful optics than failed optics is great. They are what they are. A great optic for the money. Once again, for the money.

I have a question for you... do you own an Arken? If you do, has it failed? Have you ever witnessed an Arken fail in person? Like really fail, not just oh I missed my target, my optic must suck.

The 6.0PSD has been regarded as the WORST diesel engine in history. Yet mine went 300k miles before I ever had a 6.0 related item fail.

NF's fail
S&B's fail
ZCO's fail
TT's fail

The fact that this company has more successful optics than failed optics is great. They are what they are. A great optic for the money. Once again, for the money.
Don’t waste your time arguing with him. He spews his own opinion like fact. Always thinks he’s right. Is too ignorant to realize it. Pitiful really.

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs

NF's fail
S&B's fail
ZCO's fail
TT's fail

I saw an EP4 fail at a PRS match. It stopped tracking. The guy had to use holdovers for a day and a half of shooting.

There's actually a fairly reliable means of telling how well a scope is holding up.

How long it's on the market.

If the scope is constantly changing, upgrading, being discontinued, the manufacturer was either having bad sales or bad performance. The fact that Arken is constantly changing and upgrading the name doesn't bode well. Seems like there's always a new SH or EP every other year or so. If it was selling and functioning as intended, they would leave it alone.