• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

So, is there any real penalty.........

hangunnr

Team Shutupnshoot
Minuteman
May 7, 2002
Flatlandia
......for claiming that you served when you actually haven't? I've never served in any branch of the armed services but would never dream of representing myself as having been there. I'm not talking of the bullshit bravado of knocking on someones door but real world legal penalties.

hangunnr

Re: So, is there any real penalty.........

If there is not there should be.
I cant stand a lying azzed poser.

I have never served but have the highest respect for both the men and women who have and the rank, honor, and awards that they have earned by their blood and sweat.

I agree there should be some very serious penalties for any such false claim. It is not free speech it is deception and fraud and it is damaging to those who have served and died.

Charlie

me thinks there is a wall of shame the SEALS got somewhere on the net....and me thinks there are laws in effect now also.....google "stolen Valor"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">me thinks there is a wall of shame the SEALS got somewhere on the net....and me thinks there are laws in effect now also.....google "stolen Valor" </div></div>

But didn't the 9th Circus of appeals rule that it was protected as free speech?

I can't stand someone that is a liar. But I really can't stand someone that was a mechanic in Vietnam and tells all kinds of outlandish stories of total destruction.

I lost familly in Vietnam and it drives me nuts.

I also have a ex buddy that was in combat enginering (I Think) thats tells stories that happened to another friend of ours that was a Navy Seal.

There is a real world penalty, and that is truth.

It always catches up with people eventually.

Truth has many consequences. The worst of which are for liars and the best of which are for propagators of its essence.

No legal penalty. Just the world of shame that they live in, and they know it.

Shouldn't that be the same as claiming to be a policeman or FBI agent? Seems like it should be illegal.

It was illegal (stolen valor act) until the 9th Circus (as stated above) overturned it. Looks like it is going to make its way to the Supreme Court and, hopefully, they will let it stand.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was illegal (stolen valor act) until the 9th Circus (as stated above) overturned it. Looks like it is going to make its way to the Supreme Court and, hopefully, they will let it stand.

Josh </div></div>

Some guy in a Government position represented himself as being a decorated Combat Vet,I forget which medal,and was charged under the "Stolen Valor" Law.This was in CA.I read a bit about it and it was infuriating.Good 'Ol 9th Circus Strikes Again.
mad.gif

I refuse to even wear military type camouflage or anything that resembles any item of military clothes or colour out of respect for the forces. I have a NYFD tourist tshirt which I cant wear in good conscious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">me thinks there is a wall of shame the SEALS got somewhere on the net </div></div>

Armyranger.com does something similar. They have a place in their forum where they list the "kills" members get by outing Ranger and SF posers.

The SUPREME COURT ruled it is stupid but not illegal if I recall correctly? But that was just for wearing a medal?

Egads I dont' recall.

I love calling BS on people at the range. Nobody ever claims to be ARCTIC certified either, too bad, I could slam them home in 2 seconds LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was illegal (stolen valor act) until the 9th Circus (as stated above) overturned it. Looks like it is going to make its way to the Supreme Court and, hopefully, they will let it stand.

Josh </div></div>

Some guy in a Government position represented himself as being a decorated Combat Vet,I forget which medal,and was charged under the "Stolen Valor" Law.This was in CA.I read a bit about it and it was infuriating.Good 'Ol 9th Circus Strikes Again.
mad.gif
</div></div>

The Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal is another one who greatly exaggerated his military service and he's running for the US Senate and is ahead in the polls. But no one seems to care. Go figure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nobody ever claims to be ARCTIC certified either, too bad, I could slam them home in 2 seconds LOL

</div></div>

My first winter Drill up at Ft. Drum cured me of ever even thinking about Arctic training lol.

For some the consequences dictates their actions, and basically that is the question on the table here. Is there a legally binding consequence for lying about military service? No. The Stolen Valor Law relates to the wearing or misrepresentation of medals, not military service. That is one of the reasons we keep seeing posers out there in all parts of society, as there are no real consequences other than being outed as the liars they are.

I'm no attorney or legal expert in any legal way, but there may still be other legal consequences out there for those that misrepresent themselves as a veteran for personal or political gain, other than basic censure hearings for the politicians. Isn't it illegal to knowingly lie about a product or company's capabilities? My layman self would like to think it would be in the same category, but I have no idea either way. If it isn't, it should be.

I will say it is a lot of fun to punk out a poser when they're in the middle of a feeble attempt to hook up with a girl though...