• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So, what about Leupold Mark 5 ?

Scope came in today, i sent it to a friends house. He sent a video of the clicks and it sounded great. Pretty excited.

Any updates? @JFComfort

Reactions: Bender
5RWill, good to "hear" you like what you heard. My ARC rings arrived today, and I'll finish mounting tomorrow. Then off to the range-hopefully next week-to try it out and to break in the barrel on my new rifle. Like others, I'll report my findings.

Reactions: 5RWill
Yeah i asked my friend blatantly if they were squishy, or tactile & distinct and he said very tactile/distinct.

Was scrolling through Instagram, i see Joe had some fun today with his. It's been pouring here all weekend, though the scope isn't here, i haven't fired a shot :cry: I need to add a decent camera to my list of things to get.

I’m looking forward to a detailed comparison between the Mark 5 3.6-18 and the Mark 6 3-18... I’m in the market for one of these (used if a Mark 6) for a 16” .308 AR, and light weight and a Tremor 3 at sub $2k are important to me, so these are pretty much my only options. I thought about the Nightforce 4-16x42, but it’s a bit heavier than I want, and I haven’t seen any in my budget. Plus the slightly greater mag ranges of the Leupolds are nice. So whoever has (or had) both, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

I’m looking forward to a detailed comparison between the Mark 5 3.6-18 and the Mark 6 3-18... I’m in the market for one of these (used if a Mark 6) for a 16” .308 AR, and light weight and a Tremor 3 at sub $2k are important to me, so these are pretty much my only options. I thought about the Nightforce 4-16x42, but it’s a bit heavier than I want, and I haven’t seen any in my budget. Plus the slightly greater mag ranges of the Leupolds are nice. So whoever has (or had) both, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

I talked to atrocity about the mark 6 and Mark 5. He said the mark 5 is what the 6 should’ve been and thus far people have reported the eyebox is fine. It’s probably gtg i might be picking one up with tax refund depending on how i like the 5-25

I talked to atrocity about the mark 6 and Mark 5. He said the mark 5 is what the 6 should’ve been and thus far people have reported the eyebox is fine. It’s probably gtg i might be picking one up with tax refund depending on how i like the 5-25

That’s great to hear, especially having seen new ones in the $1750-1850 range. Could be a hell of a deal if they track well and are optically sound with no reticle issues. Early reports are promising, so I’m mainly waiting for someone to really wring one out.

I also really like that the zero stop can allow 1/2 mil of travel down, as I use several different loads both suppressed and unsuppressed, and I’m adjusting zero a lot. I’d rather not have to use tools to do so. That’s the only real aggravation I have with the Mark 6 1-6x20, and I imagine the M5C2 on the other Mark 6 is a hard stop at zero as well.

Now I'm almost CERTAIN that I see one or both of these in my near future!
I’m still trying to decide between one of these or maybe the EOtech VUDU 5-25x. Looks like MAP is $2300 for a 5-25 H59, but you can't get illumination and the FOV specs on Leupold’s site put it at a slight disadvantage vs. most other 5-25x scopes. The EOtech’s retail is less than Leupold’s MAP and offers H59 illuminated; I suppose the price difference doesn’t matter much if the glass isn’t good or the turrets/tracking suck, but this year is a “value” year for me.

Reactions: Subwrx300
My 3.6-18 MK 5 elevation turret is CCW. If the ring gaps look a bit wide, it's because I haven't finished mounting the scope.

Attachments

• IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
The mk5 clicks may be louder, but they got considerably more play in them then a NF and the like.

When I dial my kahles, NF or S&B there is minimal, if not no side movement. My Mk5 has enough movement in the turrets that the cap won’t align with the corresponding hash on the base of the optic.

Nice upgrade from the past turrets, but not jaw dropping precise like other makes.

Last edited:
Reactions: bjay
So the 3.6-18 is CCW and 5-25 is CW...does that strike anyone else as odd?

I have a lightweight AR 6.5 Grendel build that I am trying to decide if I want to upgrade the MK6 to a MK5. I may try and get my hands on one locally and report back.

The 3-18 is priced appropriately, but my other optics aren’t going anywhere.

So the 3.6-18 is CCW and 5-25 is CW...does that strike anyone else as odd?

I have a lightweight AR 6.5 Grendel build that I am trying to decide if I want to upgrade the MK6 to a MK5. I may try and get my hands on one locally and report back.
That's the thing though. Only his scope has CW turrets. Every other photo of the 5-25 has CCW turrets, including Leupold.com.

You should also consider the new Kahles 3-18. I was blown away by it at shot show, it is about $300 more expensive and 6-7oz heavier than illuminated mark 5 with tremor3 , but the optical qualit, turrets and eye box are supperior on Kahles. Also I saw someone said Mark 5 had loud but sloppy turret clicks. I respectfully disagree with that. Best Leupold clicks yet.
I have a few Kahles 3-18 scopes on order and will post a Review as soon as I get them.

Sample variance or subjective experience, as far as the turret feel is concerned?

Sample variance or subjective experience, as far as the turret feel is concerned?

I’d say sample variance. I just asked my friend if my 5-25 was sloppy or tight. He said they were tight. I can’t upload the video of him turnin both the windage and elevation turret but both seem very distinct and tight. I’ll know tonight or tomorrow.

You should also consider the new Kahles 3-18. I was blown away by it at shot show, it is about $300 more expensive and 6-7oz heavier than illuminated mark 5 with tremor3 , but the optical qualit, turrets and eye box are supperior on Kahles. Also I saw someone said Mark 5 had loud but sloppy turret clicks. I respectfully disagree with that. Best Leupold clicks yet.
I have a few Kahles 3-18 scopes on order and will post a Review as soon as I get them.

That’s definitely an impressive looking scope... but for that weight and basic reticle style, I could get a Bushnell DMR for half the price or less, and I just sold the one I had because I want something a bit lighter with a lot more windage in the reticle for the average Wyoming gale (I like to hold for both elevation and wind). The mechanics were great, the glass was good enough (flat, slightly cool colors and moderate CA at 21x but still good resolution and more than acceptable for the price), but the G2 reticle wasn’t doing it for me.

Looks like the Kahles would be a huge glass upgrade and add illumination (which I don’t really need), but I’d still be holding way out in space for the wind and have 2+ lbs of optic on the rifle even before adding a mount and red dot. A Mark 6 would shave 9 oz off, a Mark 5 would be only 2.4 oz more than that, and both offer reticles I’ve gotten comfortable using.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Which way does your elevation turret turn? Am I losing my mind?

It’s turns clockwise like my Hensoldt.

They make both, only one model has CW turret and it’s aimed at European markets.

Last edited:

I didn’t say they had “loud sloppy clicks”...

Clicks are audible but they are far from the top tier optics. They have some movement in them prior to the next detent.

Wait a minute... just asked Leupold, all pics i see are indications that it's CCW. I'll find out tomorrow when i go get it.
27749988_1712437395487230_4809639749318130040_n.jpg

Last edited:
So what you're saying Joe is that you didn't order it that way? :LOL: I mean as long as it tracks you owning a Hensoldt and being used to having an optic like that, shouldn't matter i don't guess. I will say it would annoy me.

Is that regular production? How did you score that?

It’s a production scope sent to me as a demo and only model with CW turret aimed at European markets I believe. I’ll try and remember to get a number for you.

So what you're saying Joe is that you didn't order it that way? :LOL: I mean as long as it tracks you owning a Hensoldt and being used to having an optic like that, shouldn't matter i don't guess. I will say it would annoy me.

They make both so no worries! I didn’t realize this one was CW until I mounted it. The scope is a demo so I didn’t pick features, reticle, etc.

Last edited:
I kinda assumed it was for export. Interesting either way. I stared at the pic for a couple minutes when you posted it trying to figure out why I was seeing it backwards. Turns out I wasn't crazy.

Reactions: JFComfort
EVERYTHING is subjective on a scope review.... other than Tracking... it’s a gun sight.

But they sure are cool and fun to mess with!
Yeah,
That’s definitely an impressive looking scope... but for that weight and basic reticle style, I could get a Bushnell DMR for half the price or less, and I just sold the one I had because I want something a bit lighter with a lot more windage in the reticle for the average Wyoming gale (I like to hold for both elevation and wind). The mechanics were great, the glass was good enough (flat, slightly cool colors and moderate CA at 21x but still good resolution and more than acceptable for the price), but the G2 reticle wasn’t doing it for me.

Looks like the Kahles would be a huge glass upgrade and add illumination (which I don’t really need), but I’d still be holding way out in space for the wind and have 2+ lbs of optic on the rifle even before adding a mount and red dot. A Mark 6 would shave 9 oz off, a Mark 5 would be only 2.4 oz more than that, and both offer reticles I’ve gotten comfortable using.
Holding out in empty space with SKMR3? What kind of conditions are you shooting?

Yeah,

Holding out in empty space with SKMR3? What kind of conditions are you shooting?

Up to 25-30mph crosswinds with an 18” .308... Wyoming doesn’t mess around! The SKMR3 definitely has more than the G2, but not quite enough for my local conditions. If I waited for the winds to drop to 15mph or less, I’d only get to shoot maybe once every 2-3 weeks in the winter and spring.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Up to 25-30mph crosswinds with an 18” .308... Wyoming doesn’t mess around! The SKMR3 definitely has more than the G2, but not quite enough for my local conditions. If I waited for the winds to drop to 15mph or less, I’d only get to shoot maybe once every 2-3 weeks in the winter and spring.
Damn, that explains

I think area 419 has a promo going on where you can get ARC 35mm rings for 170$ shipped using the promo sendit that’s what a friend told me i haven’t tried it yet. I had already ordered from ARC

Can you send link to this, all I see on their site is 30’s and 34’s